PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Receiver Hakeem Nicks Skipped Workouts Over Injury Concerns

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 08:38 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/nicks_skipped_workouts_over_injury_xs8xVRksniTBe2H BCecpHP

Excerpt: ďAt the end of the day, thereís stuff thatís mandatory and thereís things that are not mandatory,Ē he said. ďFrom my eyes, anytime you can let your body rest [is good]. Football is a physical sport, and itís a long season, too. Anytime you can let your body rest, I feel like thatís always a blessing.Ē Read more...

Buddy333
06-20-2013, 09:00 AM
Don't know what to make of this. Don't really care as long as he plays well of course. So is this superstition? Skip the workout that your injured yourself in last year?

penguinfarmer
06-20-2013, 09:05 AM
I don't know why this wasn't known to begin with. Nicks is in a contract year. He's going to do everything he can on the field to earn the max contract while doing everything he can within the rules to avoid injury.

egyptian420
06-20-2013, 09:15 AM
This is what most of us had thought it was all about. Unless of course you read the papers...

Rudyy
06-20-2013, 09:16 AM
But of course.

Flip Empty
06-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Microsoft have dropped their DRM policies, Nicks is now getting an Xbox One.

GameTime
06-20-2013, 09:56 AM
[Coughlin was openly frustrated with Nicks for missing OTAs only because the coach said Nicks had promised to attend.

Nicks confirmed he made that promise, and further revealed that he met with Coughlin behind closed doors last week to formally apologize.

Hey Morehead....see those quotes above.....Stick that in your pipe and smoke........lol

Oh yeah....Eli is acting like a company shill too.....lol

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Coughlin was openly frustrated with Nicks for missing OTAs only because the coach said Nicks had promised to attend.

Nicks confirmed he made that promise, and further revealed that he met with Coughlin behind closed doors last week to formally apologize.
Hey Morehead....see tose quotes above.....Stick that in your pipe and smoke........lol

Oh yeah....Eli is acting like a company shill too.....lol

You mean when I said 2 weeks ago that he skipped OTA's because of he wanted to heal up physically?

Sounds like Good "Ol Morehead was right again.

GameTime
06-20-2013, 10:00 AM
You mean when I said 2 weeks ago that he skipped OTA's because of he wanted to heal up physically?

Sounds like Good "Ol Morehead was right again.
no when you said TC should keep his mouth closed and that Eli should too because he sounded like a company shill....
looks like Nicks broke his promise to the team and coaches so they should have been pissed...
He even apologized to affirm his mistake...
looks like Ole Morhead was wrong to me....:)

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 10:05 AM
no when you said TC should keep his mouth closed and that Eli should too because he sounded like a company shill....
looks like Nicks broke his promise to the team and coaches so they should have been pissed...
He even apologized to affirm his mistake...
looks like Ole Morhead was wrong to me....:)
He should have kept his mouth shut. You settle that stuff behind closed doors. You don't call out one of your players in the media.
About that opinion, I have no regrets. You are supposed to settle that crap man to man. Not in the media.

I honestly can't remember TC ever calling out a player like that. Up here is Mass. we consider that very "Bobby Valentine-like" And trust me....that ain't good.

Gimaniac
06-20-2013, 10:09 AM
I think it will benefit the Giants not having Nicks and Cruz at these early season workouts.

Do they really need to learn the offense?

Gives the understudies more reps, builds depth in case of injuries.

Maybe Nicks didn't go about this in the best way, but there is no good way.

GameTime
06-20-2013, 10:09 AM
He should have kept his mouth shut. You settle that stuff behind closed doors. You don't call out one of your players in the media.
About that opinion, I have no regrets. You are supposed to settle that crap man to man. Not in the media.

I honestly can't remember TC ever calling out a player like that. Up here is Mass. we consider that very "Bobby Valentine-like" And trust me....that ain't good.
its ok MH....you dont have to over dramatize anything to prove your point. TC didn call out Nicks. He made a statement from a question.....thats all.
Its ok to be wrong......really it is.....:cool:

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 10:10 AM
its ok MH....you dont have to over dramatize anything to prove your point. TC didn call out Nicks. He made a statement from a question.....thats all.
Its ok to be wrong......really it is.....:cool:
My standards are what they are.

Gimaniac
06-20-2013, 10:10 AM

Nicks disagrees with you. He said he understood why TC did what he did.

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Nicks disagrees with you. He said he understood why TC did what he did.
Right after he made no comment on his future with the team after this season.
He needs to have a huge season and being in TC's dog house isn't the way to do it.

GameTime
06-20-2013, 10:13 AM
He needs to have a huge season and being in TC's dog house isn't the way to do it.
he wont be in TC's doghouse....he didnt fumble or anything like that

Gimaniac

What no comment? He doesn't talk about his contract in the media, not a bad choice.

GameTime
My standards are what they are.

questionable at best.....:p

Rudyy
Right after he made no comment on his future with the team after this season.He needs to have a huge season and being in TC's dog house isn't the way to do it.He's not in his dog house lol calm down.

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 10:14 AM
He's not in his dog house lol calm down.
Well Rudy....that's my point.

GameTime
06-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Well Rudy....that's my point.
so your point is the exact opposite of what you said....hmmmm....

Rudyy
06-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Well Rudy....that's my point.Well Morehead, you made it sound like he was.

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
I don't know why this wasn't known to begin with. Nicks is in a contract year. He's going to do everything he can on the field to earn the max contract while doing everything he can within the rules to avoid injury. I think it was "known" but just not articulated by Nicks publicly until now.

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Right after he made no comment on his future with the team after this season. He needs to have a huge season and being in TC's dog house isn't the way to do it. Why is he in the dog house?

B&RWarrior
06-20-2013, 10:44 AM

Nicks is above TCs dog house. If he's healthy he's playing. We are trying to win games here. He didn't actually break any rules. Tell TC to quit crying and move forward.

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Nicks is above TCs dog house. If he's healthy he's playing. We are trying to win games here. He didn't actually break any rules. Tell TC to quit crying and move forward. TC has every right to feel however he wants to feel when he is lied to.

GameTime
06-20-2013, 11:00 AM
TC has every right to feel however he wants to feel when he is lied to.
Its not so much that Nicks lied. He changed his mind about attending OTAs......
He could have called and didnt.......
water under the bridge.....

jomo
06-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Of course he did. That was clear all along if you just got past the media blather. It was an optional workout. All good.

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 11:16 AM
What no comment? He doesn't talk about his contract in the media, not a bad choice.
I didn't articulate that well. he made no commitment to the team past 2013, or even any real positive comments past this coming season.

Read the quote....I'm not saying it properly.

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Well Morehead, you made it sound like he was.
My point Rudy is that he said what he had to to stay out of the dog house.

fansince69
06-20-2013, 11:19 AM
Of course he did. That was clear all along if you just got past the media blather. It was an optional workout. All good.Sorry guys...but even though nicks had every right to not attend...Yes he should have told TC....

BUT....even though TC has a right to be upset about not being kept in the loop.........Taking it to the media is absolutely the wrong thing to do and inexcusable....

What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Sorry guys...but even though nicks had every right to not attend...Yes he should have told TC....

BUT....even though TC has a right to be upset about not being kept in the loop.........Taking it to the media is absolutely the wrong thing to do and inexcusable....

........And there you have it.

NYGabriel
06-20-2013, 11:28 AM
What's happening with Nicks? He's becoming a locker room distraction like Terrell Owens. Acting like he's a jet not a giant. If he didn't want to attend ota's he should have let the team know and avoided this melodrama.

jomo
06-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Sorry guys...but even though nicks had every right to not attend...Yes he should have told TC....

What happens in the locker room stays in the locker roomYes, yes and yes.

Rudyy
06-20-2013, 11:31 AM
My point Rudy is that he said what he had to to stay out of the dog house.No.

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 11:32 AM
What's happening with Nicks? He's becoming a locker room distraction like Terrell Owens. Acting like he's a jet not a giant. If he didn't want to attend ota's he should have let the team know and avoided this melodrama.
Time to move on.......Its all water under the bridge.

You may be overreacting just a tad.

Rudyy
What's happening with Nicks? He's becoming a locker room distraction like Terrell Owens. Acting like he's a jet not a giant. If he didn't want to attend ota's he should have let the team know and avoided this melodrama.No.

Morehead State
No.
Yes...it really was my point.

Rudyy
06-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Yes...it really was my point.Oh I know, I'm just disagreeing with your point.

NYGabriel
06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Time to move on.......Its all water under the bridge.

You may be overreacting just a tad.

It's was water under the bridge until Nicks latest comments. He's handled this situation about as badly as possible.

What if next year half the players don't turn up because they need more rest?

jomo
06-20-2013, 11:41 AM
What's happening with Nicks? He's becoming a locker room distraction like Terrell Owens. Acting like he's a jet not a giant. If he didn't want to attend ota's he should have let the team know and avoided this melodrama.Huh? He is an absolutely exemplary Giant.

Gimaniac
06-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I didn't articulate that well. he made no commitment to the team past 2013, or even any real positive comments past this coming season.

Read the quote....I'm not saying it properly.

He was asked if he would give a home team discount next year to stay with the Giants. Should he have said yes? I don't think I would have.

GameTime
06-20-2013, 11:45 AM
if thats was supposed to be in red font then you are totally over reacting.....

if it was then I get it.......

jomo
06-20-2013, 11:45 AM
He was asked if he would give a home team discount next year to stay with the Giants. Should he have said yes? I don't think I would have.He should not say that. He would be hamstringing his agent as they move into contract dicsussions. He handled that part of it fine.

Guys who say they want to give the home team discount are typically over the hill players looking to hang on. It is not realistic for a star player to say or do that.

GameTime
06-20-2013, 11:46 AM

but it wasnt a big deal at all what TC said........it really wasnt. At least not to me.....

GameTime
06-20-2013, 11:47 AM
It's was water under the bridge until Nicks latest comments. He's handled this situation about as badly as possible.

so now you jump to conclusions about next year??..

classic over reaction.....

GameTime
06-20-2013, 11:49 AM
My point Rudy is that he said what he had to to stay out of the dog house.

no....he apologized to TC because he messed up.........a simple normal human behavior

egyptian420
06-20-2013, 12:27 PM
I think the disagreements in this thread are bigger than the 'conflict' between Coughlin/Nicks..... Nicks will be fine, this thing is a whole lotta nothing

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Its not so much that Nicks lied. He changed his mind about attending OTAs......
He could have called and didnt.......
water under the bridge.....

It is water under the bridge, and it's not a big football thing, but it does seem as though he said one thing to the head coach and did another.

I have defended his decision not to attend voluntary OTAs and still do. But it's clear now that he, in my mind, had an obligation to tell the coach he changed his mind.

My original response was to the poster who suggested TC needed to "quit crying." I don't think TC has even mentioned it since Nicks has now attended the mandatory mimi-camp.

Flip Empty
06-20-2013, 12:58 PM
It is water under the bridge
They never even built that bridge. It's just water on the floor.

Gimaniac
06-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I think the disagreements in this thread are bigger than the 'conflict' between Coughlin/Nicks..... Nicks will be fine, this thing is a whole lotta nothing

True, but Nicks is such an incredible player for this team that everything he says and does gets overdone.

Tuck was not at OTA either, does anyone care? No, because he told TC about it. Or maybe because he is not that good anymore.

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
They never even built that bridge. It's just water on the floor.

That's not water if you've been drinking :o

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 01:21 PM
True, but Nicks is such an incredible player for this team that everything he says and does gets overdone.

Tuck was not at OTA either, does anyone care? No, because he told TC about it. Or maybe because he is not that good anymore.

Tuck missed one day

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 01:38 PM
no....he apologized to TC because he messed up.........a simple normal human behavior
That's fine. But he's not going to say anything negative and stir the pot. So he could very well be unhappy about TC's public comments. He's just not going to say anything.

Napstew
06-20-2013, 02:25 PM

SMH. You are making it way more than what it WAS.

Unless yall know what actually went down, STFU. It's over and it's between the coach and Nicks.

Napstew
06-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Why is he in the dog house?

If this was Victor Cruz related you would be defending him.

RolleN N CruzN
06-20-2013, 02:27 PM
At the end of the day, none of this matters. Really can't take any of these situations seriously until the end of preseason where players are getting ready for Week 1.

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 02:30 PM
If this was Victor Cruz related you would be defending him.

I have been defending Nicks. I just did it again a few posts back. My asking why another poster thinks he's "in the doghouse" is also defending Nicks as I don't see any reason for his being in the "dog house."

So what's your issue?

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
I have been defending Nicks. I just did it again a few posts back. My asking why another poster thinks he's "in the doghouse" is also defending Nicks as I don't see any reason for his being in the "dog house."

So what's your issue?
RF...I never get why some folks want to either assign some hidden meaning into a posters comments, or describe what they believe one's response would be to some hypothetical scenario.

Just comment on the substance and leave it at that.
ANOTHER thing that drives me nuts.

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 03:04 PM
RF...I never get why some folks want to either assign some hidden meaning into a posters comments, or describe what they believe one's response would be to some hypothetical scenario.

Just comment on the substance and leave it at that.
ANOTHER thing that drives me nuts.

I've been defending Nicks (as though he needs me to lol) as far as his opting out of the voluntary program(s). I did take issue with his lack of notification to TC but my post that I suspect drew the rebuke had to to with TC and not Nicks. It's really hard to follow all of the bouncing balls at times around here.

Moke
06-20-2013, 03:04 PM

He might wait on line for one and skip a game

Morehead State
06-20-2013, 03:05 PM
I've been defending Nicks (as though he needs me to lol) as far as his opting out of the voluntary program(s). I did take issue with his lack of notification to TC but my post that I suspect drew the rebuke had to to with TC and not Nicks. It's really hard to follow all of the bouncing balls at times around here.
Evidently this one poster thinks you're a "Cruz Cultist".

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Evidently this one poster thinks you're a "Cruz Cultist".

I'm a team cultist :cool:

Nicks and Cruz are on the team.

giantscolombia
06-20-2013, 03:41 PM
hahaha.
Have they really though?

fansince69
06-20-2013, 04:07 PM
I'm a team cultist :cool:

Nicks and Cruz are on the team.....now I have a formal label

THANKS RF

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 06:54 PM
....now I have a formal label

THANKS RF

Feel free to plagiarize

jomo
06-20-2013, 07:07 PM
I've been defending Nicks (as though he needs me to lol) as far as his opting out of the voluntary program(s). I did take issue with his lack of notification to TC but my post that I suspect drew the rebuke had to to with TC and not Nicks. It's really hard to follow all of the bouncing balls at times around here.Don't sell yourself short my friend. You are a master multi-tasker! ...............and you heard that here first. :cool:

RoanokeFan
06-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Don't sell yourself short my friend. You are a master multi-tasker! ...............and you heard that here first.

You are too kind :o

B&RWarrior
06-20-2013, 08:24 PM
It is water under the bridge, and it's not a big football thing, but it does seem as though he said one thing to the head coach and did another.

I have defended his decision not to attend voluntary OTAs and still do. But it's clear now that he, in my mind, had an obligation to tell the coach he changed his mind.

My original response was to the poster who suggested TC needed to "quit crying." I don't think TC has even mentioned it since Nicks has now attended the mandatory mimi-camp.

Oh he was crying. I stand by that. I expect a guy that has been coaching in the NFL since 1984 to handle things in house. And not go on about how it was a total shock to him, and he thought he was going to be here- whah whah whah. His comments weren't that inflammatory, but it's a bit of the TC that the players got tired of when Stray was on the team, and they told him so. Besides he of all people knows how the media and fans takes the smallest things and runs with it.

TC has forgotten about this as soon as Nicks showed up. The apology was icing on the cake and shows the nature of Nicks. In Nicks, I see a player that has had trouble staying healthy and in his contract year has decided to take some control of his time on the field by skipping voluntary OTA's to ensure nothing goes wrong before the season.

drewz
06-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Guy is in a contract year and is protecting himself from getting injured to protect his money

THE HORROR

jomo
06-20-2013, 08:44 PM
Oh he was crying. I stand by that. I expect a guy that has been coaching in the NFL since 1984 to handle things in house. And not go on about how it was a total shock to him, and he thought he was going to be here- whah whah whah. His comments weren't that inflammatory, but it's a bit of the TC that the players got tired of when Stray was on the team, and they told him so. Besides he of all people knows how the media and fans takes the smallest things and runs with it.

TC has forgotten about this as soon as Nicks showed up. The apology was icing on the cake and shows the nature of Nicks. In Nicks, I see a player that has had trouble staying healthy and in his contract year has decided to take some control of his time on the field by skipping voluntary OTA's to ensure nothing goes wrong before the season.http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk5DQCLy-4QnscdKvYgxCH7EtEjIARoglLNjxk2H99KGBOJzSP

Blue_Cusen
06-20-2013, 10:06 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSk5DQCLy-4QnscdKvYgxCH7EtEjIARoglLNjxk2H99KGBOJzSP

That water gets much higher that bridge might be in trouble.

jomo
06-20-2013, 10:27 PM
That water gets much higher that bridge might be in trouble.Truth, lotta water flowing under that bridge.