PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our TE situation?

NYG12589
06-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I was looking at the Giants roster because I'm personally a little concerned about the TE position, and seen we have around 3-4 of them. Whats everyone's thoughts?

Moke
06-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Can't be much worse than the Patriots right now especially after Hernandez.

BigBlue wins
06-20-2013, 12:34 PM
We should be solid at TE this year

Eliscruzzz
06-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Can't be much worse than the Patriots right now especially after Hernandez.haha...I guess that Ballard pick made is looking a lot better for them now.

Eliscruzzz
06-20-2013, 12:37 PM
As for our TE situation we are fine. We have finally a really good catching TE. I liked MB but sometimes he wouldn't fight for the ball in the air, Myers will. As far as his blocking coach Pope will make him respectable. We also have Pascoe and Robinson to take on most of the blocking if Myers cannot handle it.

NYG12589
06-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. As for the Pats maybe they should put Tebow at the TE position now lol

TrueBlue@NYC
06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
The TE is either the same or maybe even a little better than last season. Myers is a very steady player, Bear is still Bear and Robinson should take a step forward from last year.

It's a shame we couldn't keep the black unicorn because I think he would have improved even more with a second season.

NYG12589
06-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah are TE are one hit wonders lol New one every year.

Shimmy
06-20-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm really optimistic about our TE's this year. I think Eli will fall in love with Brandon Myers. We also have Adrien Robinson who was noted by scouts to be the 'JPP of Tight Ends' from his draft class. He's had a couple years to develop and learn, so I'm excited to see the turn out.

Carter.525
06-20-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm very excited about Myers and Robinson this year and for the future..

giantsfan420
06-20-2013, 08:00 PM
myers will be a solid checkdown option similar to witten for dallas. i expect we'll try and target him downfield some too, but iirc and I'm fairly certain because it was such a strong statistic, of the 80something receptions he had for Oakland last yr, none were of the kind where the ball traveled 20 yds or more. He was pretty much strictly an underneath/intermediate type TE. ALmost exactly like Witten. Which is why I'm thinking we signed him.

Now, I really wouldnt write home about Bear Pascoe, but he has come through in some big spots. made a nice TD grab vs SF in the NFC CG, made some nice catches in the SB when called upon after the injury devastated our TE position. So, we really could do much worse at the 2 TE spot, but I dont even think he makes it there on the depth bc he will be primarily a FB for a while.

WHich leads me to A.Robinson. If he's the "JPP of TE's" as JR dubbed (and he's been pretty spectacular in his player assessments) we gotta see something from him this yr. Dont know how u could keep a guy with that kinda upside to be termed that by the GM, off the field? He's as athletic as a WR, and from what I understand, has made some significant strides in blocking. I expect he'll start the season out as our #2 TE and that'd speak to his talent bc he is still young/raw. And I expect we'll have some plays where he displays that athleticism and blocking ability.

Outlook is pretty awesome IF, big if, IF JR's assessment of A.Robinson is close.

slipknottin
06-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Theres a video on youtube of all of Myers catches from last year.

Hes a pretty talented receiver.

Did bug me how often he seemed to be tackled short of the first down on 3rd downs, but the raiders didnt exactly have a high powered offense.

jomo
06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Theres a video on youtube of all of Myers catches from last year.

Hes a pretty talented receiver.

Did bug me how often he seemed to be tackled short of the first down on 3rd downs, but the raiders didnt exactly have a high powered offense.We definitely got a bit of an upgrade to Myers from the Unicorn.

slipknottin
06-20-2013, 09:35 PM
We definitely got a bit of an upgrade to Myers from the Unicorn.

I thought Bennett was a better receiver, and a far far better blocker

jomo
06-20-2013, 09:47 PM
I thought Bennett was a better receiver, and a far far better blockerWell I said a bit of an upgrade but we won't know until we see Myers in action for us. I know that Bennet was a better blocker but believe that Myers could eclipse him as a receiver. Didn't we get Myers for less than the market paid Bennett? If so, it was definitely a win for us, leaving some bucks to be spent elsewhere.

fansince69
06-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Well I said a bit of an upgrade but we won't know until we see Myers in action for us. I know that Bennet was a better blocker but believe that Myers could eclipse him as a receiver. Didn't we get Myers for less than the market paid Bennett? If so, it was definitely a win for us, leaving some bucks to be spent elsewhere.I feel like Bennett tended to drop balls in big situation ...or at least disappeared...as Opposed to the way Ballard always seemed to make a big catch......numbers wise they were pretty even....it just seemed like Ballards meant more...... I think Myers numbers will end up being very similar to his 2 predecessors because that just seems to be how the tight ends fits into Gilbride's system

giantsfan420
06-21-2013, 01:00 AM
I thought Bennett was a better receiver, and a far far better blockeri agree and still feel that way. do u have a link for that clip with myers receptions? could u tell me off ur head if he had any receptions of 20 yds or more (where the ball traveled 20 yds or more) i think i read that of all his 80 plus catches, none were for more thna 20 yds in the air

giantsfan420
06-21-2013, 01:02 AM
I feel like Bennett tended to drop balls in big situation ...or at least disappeared...as Opposed to the way Ballard always seemed to make a big catch......numbers wise they were pretty even....it just seemed like Ballards meant more...... I think Myers numbers will end up being very similar to his 2 predecessors because that just seems to be how the tight ends fits into Gilbride's systemwell dont forget, bennett set a giant record for tds in his first 3 games as a giant. he was killing it until he hyper extended that knee. he had that span where he was still contributing but just not at that pace for the first 3 games. i feel he ended up having a solid yr and woulda had a crazy 2nd yr. what can ya do...

slipknottin
06-21-2013, 08:00 AM
i agree and still feel that way. do u have a link for that clip with myers receptions? could u tell me off ur head if he had any receptions of 20 yds or more (where the ball traveled 20 yds or more) i think i read that of all his 80 plus catches, none were for more thna 20 yds in the air

http://youtu.be/VkIk0or9Fzk

I don't think there were any 20+ yard catches. But that's a scheme thing too. He really doesn't run deep at all. Just crossing routes over the middle about 5-10 yards deep

fansince69
06-21-2013, 08:09 AM
well dont forget, bennett set a giant record for tds in his first 3 games as a giant. he was killing it until he hyper extended that knee. he had that span where he was still contributing but just not at that pace for the first 3 games. i feel he ended up having a solid yr and woulda had a crazy 2nd yr. what can ya do...I agree he defiantly contributed ...it just never seemed like it was in big spots in the game....I am not going by stats just by what my eyes were telling me..

bigblue58
06-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for your input everyone. As for the Pats maybe they should put Tebow at the TE position now lol

Tebow is cheating himself of a chance to be a respected, successful position player with his stubborn refusal to consider a switch from QB!
He comes off as a bit of a hypocrite for allowing his pride to lead him down a dead end street as an NFL QB.
Having a closed mind to change for the better is not a very christian attitude!

giantsfan420
06-21-2013, 10:06 AM

I don't think there were any 20+ yard catches. But that's a scheme thing too. He really doesn't run deep at all. Just crossing routes over the middle about 5-10 yards deepyeah i imagine we try to use him in the mold of a Witten type TE. Im not saying we wont target him vertically but I just dunno how much to expect we see of that. i expect he'll be a checkdown option a ton of routes

TCHOF
06-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Tebow is cheating himself of a chance to be a respected, successful position player with his stubborn refusal to consider a switch from QB!
He comes off as a bit of a hypocrite for allowing his pride to lead him down a dead end street as an NFL QB.

Strangest post of the week.

NYG12589
06-21-2013, 11:08 AM
I see Tebow as a RB or TE. Maybe QB if he went to the right team MAYBE... now that we are on the Tebow subject lol...

giantscolombia
06-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Myers and Robinson are pretty solid dude. I don't think there is anything to worry about....

As for the Pats... hahahaha but seriously, dang! what if Hernandez actually killed that dude!

NYG12589
06-21-2013, 11:17 AM
Okay dudette lol...

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hernandez has to be the dumbest thing going to do **** like that.... Brady's comfort and familiarity slowly withering away (NO Gronk, Hern., or Welker)

giantscolombia
06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Okay dudette lol...

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hernandez has to be the dumbest thing going to do **** like that.... Brady's comfort and familiarity slowly withering away (NO Gronk, Hern., or Welker)

Who do the pats have as WR?

NYG12589
06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Not sure where you are going with this........................................?

GeoGoGo
06-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Whoever said Christians were open minded? LOL!

timmytimm3
06-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Okay dudette lol...

They execute well on and off the field

(stole that joke)

Flip Empty
06-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Who do the pats have as WR?
Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman. Rookie, Aaron Dobson, too, but who knows how long it'll take him to get up to speed.

Brady's been fine with even less, so I wouldn't worry about him. That defense on the other hand...

NYG12589
06-21-2013, 02:39 PM
They execute well on and off the field

(stole that joke)

lmao nice

TCHOF
06-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Danny Amendola and Julian Edelman. Rookie, Aaron Dobson, too, but who knows how long it'll take him to get up to speed.

Brady's been fine with even less, so I wouldn't worry about him. That defense on the other hand...

If I were Brady I would be livid about that group of WR's . . . one of the worst in the league.

giant-4-life
06-21-2013, 03:55 PM
well, Shockey was a go to guy for us at TE for some time. If we could feasibly be a terror because if we have a TE that breaks out, that'll play hell on opposing LB'ers and basically mess up their coverages. If we could get another shockey type without all the baggage and drama..

B&RWarrior
06-21-2013, 04:59 PM
If I were Brady I would be livid about that group of WR's . . . one of the worst in the league.

The offense runs through their TEs. For Brady crappy WRs is the status quo with the Pats.

TCHOF
06-21-2013, 05:15 PM
The offense runs through their TEs. For Brady crappy WRs is the status quo with the Pats.

I get that, but the problem will now be eccentuated given that his top 2 TE's could be out for a while,

Antwuan
06-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Brandon Myers is going to be a beast.

giantsfan420
06-21-2013, 05:51 PM
I get that, but the problem will now be eccentuated given that his top 2 TE's could be out for a while,ballard could end up being huge for them. plus, wouldnt shock me if hernandez missed minimal time providing it was just obstruction ofjustice and he wasnt involved in any murder. bc iirc this would be his first offense under the nfl league conduct rules. goodell has the power to levy whatever he thinks is apt, but dont forget how N.O. was able to get his sentence overturned.

it def is looking bleak for NE right now, and as much as i hate to admit it, i still bet they get if figured out.

B&RWarrior
06-21-2013, 05:59 PM
ballard could end up being huge for them. plus, wouldnt shock me if hernandez missed minimal time providing it was just obstruction ofjustice and he wasnt involved in any murder. bc iirc this would be his first offense under the nfl league conduct rules. goodell has the power to levy whatever he thinks is apt, but dont forget how N.O. was able to get his sentence overturned.

it def is looking bleak for NE right now, and as much as i hate to admit it, i still bet they get if figured out.

I'm not convinced Ballard is that great. Boss wasn't that good but had good production in our system, as is true of Ballard. First year in Bennett had good production although I think he has more talent than Pascoe, Ballard or Boss. I think the constant is Eli and our offensive system.

B&RWarrior
06-21-2013, 06:01 PM
I say we keep Myers for this year and next year we let Adrian Robinson take over. He could be that awesome great run blocking and receiving combination that is so rare.

JesseJames
06-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Brandon Myers is going to be a beast.I think Meyers will add another dimension to our passing game and now he is someone else who will have to be accounted for by defenses

giantsfan420
06-21-2013, 06:04 PM
I agree BnR for the most part. Im not even that convinced either. but if he was able to have success in our system in part thanks to eli, he should do just fine in NE's system with help from Brady, no? Just my linear thinking on the matter. It will hurt the time they dont have gronk n hernandez, but iirc, NE went out and got a bunch of TE's last yr bc Gronk was an issue then. They should have the ability to weather the storm until Hernandez/Gronk gets back...dont get me wrong, im not rooting for this. its just how i see it playing out. J.McDaniels is pretty much an offensive genius.

TCHOF
06-21-2013, 06:06 PM
I say we keep Myers for this year and next year we let Adrian Robinson take over. He could be that awesome great run blocking and receiving combination that is so rare.

Eh, I'd like to see Robinson actually do something productive on an NFL field before I sign off on this . . . .

BigBlue1971
06-21-2013, 06:25 PM
I think Myers will bring a lot especially from a "getting down field" standpoint. I don't know how much of a blocker he is but Mike Pope should take care of that.

Robinson is probably the future and should get some playing time this year and if he is the JPP of tight ends should take over as the starter next year.

Pascoe will be used in key situations as a blocker and may even run a few tight end routes just to keep everyone honest.

I think our crop of tight ends will surprise this year! im ready to see Robinson in action after his hype.

JesseJames
06-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Eh, I'd like to see Robinson actually do something productive on an NFL field before I sign off on this . . . . I agree, people need to stop thinking of Robinson as a starter before he even shows up and actually does something, I hope he turns into another Jimmy Graham for us but let him step onto the field first...

giantsfan420
06-21-2013, 09:08 PM
I think Myers will bring a lot especially from a "getting down field" standpoint. I don't know how much of a blocker he is but Mike Pope should take care of that.

Robinson is probably the future and should get some playing time this year and if he is the JPP of tight ends should take over as the starter next year.

Pascoe will be used in key situations as a blocker and may even run a few tight end routes just to keep everyone honest.

I think our crop of tight ends will surprise this year! im ready to see Robinson in action after his hype.i dont understand why this is like misconception #1 with Myers, this notion he is going to be this downfield target...he didn't have 1 reception last season (of his 80+) where the ball was thrown 20 yds or more...I suspect we actually use him in an opposite role. A lot like Witten. Underneath stuff, crossing stuff, with an occasional seam route.

i agree with everything else tho

Captain Chaos
06-22-2013, 09:30 AM

I don't think there were any 20+ yard catches. But that's a scheme thing too. He really doesn't run deep at all. Just crossing routes over the middle about 5-10 yards deep

Can't wait to see what he can with those seam routes that the G'men favor. He's got the speed to be difficult to manage.

GiantRoc
06-22-2013, 09:25 PM
I think we are in solid shape at tight end. Brandon Myers appears to be a solid pick up. Robinson is getting praise on his learning curve. I happen to be a fan of Pascoe also. He is solid, versatile and never misses a game. When was the last time you saw him have a drop. I hope Robinson can step up and contribute this season.

Why do people have to hate on Tebow. A lot of guys thanks God and Jesus. Why give him grief because he happens to really mean it. He has been a QB a long time and that's what he wants to be. Why should anyone care about what he feels he should be known as? He also seems OK with doing things other than QB. Hell he even covered punts.