PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Position Preview: Quarterbacks

RoanokeFan
06-22-2013, 08:19 PM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6278

Excerpt: "The plan for the weekend days is to run our positional previews. We start on offense with the quarterbacks.

The Candidates: Eli Manning, David Carr, Ryan Nassib (R), and Curtis Painter

Key Injuries: None

Battles to Watch: Talk about player battles for starting or back up jobs.

Projected Outlook: Barring injury, Manning, who has 135 consecutive regular season starts, will be the starter. Assuming that the Giants aren’t able to keep three quarterbacks — they’re believed to want to keep three for the season, which would be a first for them since 2007 when they had Manning, Jared Lorenzen and Anthony Wright (Rhett Bomar, who was with the Giants in 2009, wasn’t on the active roster for the entire season).

But the real battle at this position will be for his backup. Presumably if the Giants keep three quarterbacks, Carr will once again be Manning’s understudy while Nassib transitions to the pro game. But if injuries at other positions force the Giants to go to two quarterbacks, then what?" Read more...

jomo
06-22-2013, 08:23 PM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6278

Excerpt: "The plan for the weekend days is to run our positional previews. We start on offense with the quarterbacks.

The Candidates: Eli Manning, David Carr, Ryan Nassib (R), and Curtis Painter

Key Injuries: None

Battles to Watch: Talk about player battles for starting or back up jobs.

Projected Outlook: Barring injury, Manning, who has 135 consecutive regular season starts, will be the starter. Assuming that the Giants aren’t able to keep three quarterbacks — they’re believed to want to keep three for the season, which would be a first for them since 2007 when they had Manning, Jared Lorenzen and Anthony Wright (Rhett Bomar, who was with the Giants in 2009, wasn’t on the active roster for the entire season).

This writer is profound IMO.

RoanokeFan
06-22-2013, 08:24 PM
This writer is profound IMO.

I also think Nassib will survive if it comes to that. Pat seems to be one of the few consistently reliable "journalists" in sports in the tri-state area.

jomo
06-22-2013, 08:30 PM
I also think Nassib will survive if it comes to that. Pat seems to be one of the few consistently reliable "journalists" in sports in the tri-state area.I just thought it was hysterical how he lead with the obvious. I agree on Nassib.

Captain Chaos
06-23-2013, 06:18 AM
I agree he has an eye for the obvious; however, if push comes to shove I'm not sure that they will be willing to go with an untested Rookie as Eli's backup. I know that Eli was Warner's backup, but that was the front office believing that Eli would become a franchise QB. After watching a couple of his passes flutter short for interceptions, I think I'm just a little skeptical.

Toadofsteel
06-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Why would we send Nassib to the PS though? We spent essentially two picks on him (4 and 6), and I don't think Reese has ever cut someone taken in the 4th round or earlier straight out of training camp unless there was a career ending injury (and even then he tries to keep them around for too long, like Marvin Austin).

I think Nassib is a lock to make the roster, although his development will influence whether we decide to keep Carr as our QB2 or only keep 2 at the position.

RoanokeFan
06-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I agree he has an eye for the obvious; however, if push comes to shove I'm not sure that they will be willing to go with an untested Rookie as Eli's backup. I know that Eli was Warner's backup, but that was the front office believing that Eli would become a franchise QB. After watching a couple of his passes flutter short for interceptions, I think I'm just a little skeptical.

By the end of training camp, they should have aan idea if Nassib can handle it.

RoanokeFan
06-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Why would we send Nassib to the PS though? We spent essentially two picks on him (4 and 6), and I don't think Reese has ever cut someone taken in the 4th round or earlier straight out of training camp unless there was a career ending injury (and even then he tries to keep them around for too long, like Marvin Austin).

I think Nassib is a lock to make the roster, although his development will influence whether we decide to keep Carr as our QB2 or only keep 2 at the position.

He'd never clear waivers so if they don't put him on the final 53, he's history.

Flip Empty
06-23-2013, 08:00 AM
By the end of training camp, they should have aan idea if Nassib can handle it.
It doesn't matter if he can or can't, though. He's made the roster already. This is just a question of whether the team carries three quarterbacks this season or not. I reckon they do.

RoanokeFan
06-23-2013, 08:03 AM
It doesn't matter if he can or can't, though. He's made the roster already. This is just a question of whether the team carries three quarterbacks this season or not. I reckon they do.

It could be he wows them at camp and they take the risk with Mr. Durable continuing his streak. I'd hate to have 3QBs on the roster but if that's what they do, then that's the end of that.

GameTime
06-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Eli and Nassib.....Painter should become one.....Carr.....like the guy but he is done.

keyofgmen
06-23-2013, 12:45 PM
I think there is little choice. 3 QBs it will be. No way to put Nassib on PS...would be gone before his cleats it the turf. However, can't count on him coming in if needed and being reliable this year. Carr, I think, is a great backup to have.