PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Position Preview: Running Backs

RoanokeFan
06-23-2013, 11:02 AM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6282

Excerpt: "Our weekend look at the units continues with the running backs.

The Candidates: David Wilson, André Brown, Ryan Torain, Da’Rel Scott, Michael Cox (R), Henry Hynoski (FB)

Key Injuries: Hynoski (knee; projected return date not announced by the team); Torain (hamstring)

Battles to Watch: Unless something major changes, Wilson, last year’s first round pick, will be the starter while Brown, who is coming off a broken leg, will be the change of pace guy. But what about the rest of the depth? That’s where the questions lie.

Scott, Torain, and Cox will all be competing for what amount to at least one roster spot, though Torain’s status is unknown as he missed the minicamp with a hamstring issue. That third running back could very well contribute in pass blocking as the third down back, though based on what we heard from the assistant coaches, they haven’t ruled out appointing Brown as the primary pass protector on third downs.

Depending on what happens with Hynoski– we find it odd that the team has not come out with any kind of official estimate about how long they think the third-year fullback will be unavailable – there could be another roster spot open for an extra running back.

If, for example, Hynoski isn’t ready for the start of the season and the medical staff thinks he might need a few more weeks before he’s finally ready, one option is to place him on inactive PUP, where he would have to stay for a minimum of six weeks.

It’s too soon to say if that will be the case, as Hynoski has been aggressively trying to rehab his knee with the goal of being ready for opening day. What will bear watching with Hynoski is when he does return to practice – if he remains on PUP for the duration of training camp, his chances of landing on inactive PUP to start the season likely increase." Read more...

Rudyy
06-23-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm more excited to see our RB's than our WR's. I know what to expect from Hakeem and Victor, but David and Andre? That's going to be exciting.

Breezely
06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I have a personal favorite in the race for that 3rd running back position. From what I have seen and heard of Cox, it would be hard to part with him. I know he is a rookie but Scott has shown flashes but never seem to be worthy of starting. Ryan Torrain????

Flip Empty
06-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm probably in the minority, but I'm more excited to see our RB's than our WR's. I know what to expect from Hakeem and Victor, but David and Andre? That's going to be exciting.
I'm the same. I want to see what the team has in Wilson. I'm hoping he's more CJ Spiller than Felix Jones.

RoanokeFan
06-23-2013, 12:05 PM

Me too, we have to get a running attack going that defenses have to account for.

keyofgmen
06-23-2013, 12:15 PM
No one more excited about our RB situation than Eli, I bet. If they can produce and the opposing D has to be wary of the run more, Eli could have a great year.

BigBlue1971
06-23-2013, 12:58 PM
if Torain can stay healthy he could be another change of pace guy, shifty and quick and he has the experience.

the Giants are high on Michael Cox but even if he makes the team he prolly wont get many snaps unless hes a diamond in the rough.

TCHOF
06-23-2013, 02:33 PM
The writer finds it "odd" that the Giants haven't given a projection for Hynoski's return, but then states that there is a very good chance that they will get Hynoski back. Hmmm . . . . .

appodictic
06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Going into the season with 1 good running back (david wilson), 1 redskins drop out (torain), 2 6th round picks (cox scott), and a guy coming off a (brown) broken leg, who managed to injure hynosky in camp.

This is the worst crew of running backs the giants have ever fielded.

jomo
06-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Going into the season with 1 good running back (david wilson), 1 redskins drop out (torain), 2 6th round picks (cox scott), and a guy coming off a (brown) broken leg, who managed to injure hynosky in camp.

This is the worst crew of running backs the giants have ever fielded.You haven't been watching this team for very long. :)

Flip Empty
06-23-2013, 07:15 PM
if Torain can stay healthy
He can't. That's been the story of his career. Made of glass.

kfelgigiants
06-23-2013, 11:31 PM
I think hes capable of more. Not saying u don't think so... But im hoping hes more of a Jamaal Charles or Lesean mccoy than Spiller.

Toadofsteel
06-23-2013, 11:41 PM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/415/037/225918_display_image.jpg?1318378220

Tyrone Wheatley has an issue with your assertion...

kfelgigiants
06-23-2013, 11:47 PM
I completely disagree.

giantsfan420
06-23-2013, 11:48 PM
whats nice is that DW and AB2 have pretty much completely different skill sets/running styles. they actually could end up complimenting each other very very well. While they have their own unique skill sets, both are everydown type backs.

DW has amazing speed with great balance and an ability to generate tons of yards after contact.
AB2 has good speed with great balance and great vision. He knows and understands how to setup his blockers so he can press the hole (or sliver of daylight) and get small to get through but when he gets through he runs with power and a mean streak. AB2 is always going to be a personal favorite player because of that Carolina game and his first real big run (2nd carry iirc). They showed him going back to the huddle, and he was walking like a man possessed who just wanted to impose his will on others. he runs like he doesnt expect anything easy bc thus far in his career, nothing has been easy.
While DW doesnt quite have the vision just yet, he still understands the running assignments. And, he makes up for the discrepancy there with unrivaled athleticism, perhaps in the entire league. I'm liking how he added 10 lbs the offseason specifically to gain more mass to take on oncoming LB's and DE's when hes pass protecting and I'm loving how DW has been vocal about how much of a priority that needs to be.

SO stoked and and I agree Rudy...I kinda know what ELi and the pass game is gonna give us. While I have an idea of the run game, theres a chance it could outdo my wildest expectations even. A ton of potential there.

giantsfan420
06-23-2013, 11:51 PM
David WIlson may be the most athletic, talented RB we've had the last 20-30 yrs. not a knock on guys like tiki, hampton, morris, n the greats that proceeded them. but that just speaks to the insane level of potential/athelticism this guy has. that alone makes it asinine imo to claim this is the worst run back group we've ever had...it may end up bein the best.

kfelgigiants
06-23-2013, 11:56 PM
+1

kfelgigiants
06-24-2013, 12:03 AM
I keep hearing about DW gaining weight for pass protection and cushion for every down impact but haven't read any specifics on how much weight hes actually put on. So what does he weigh now? Just based on posts on these boards ive heard, 10-20 pounds...

giantsfan420
06-24-2013, 12:05 AM
kfel-I read DW say he added 10 lbds this offseason. Dont know the exact #. But I believe h was 205. and now he'll be 215...which is freak of naturish bc of how atheltic/well he moves

kfelgigiants
06-24-2013, 02:49 AM
Ok thanks for the info! And yes that is just ridiculous for this guys athleticism. He had scary balance and power for a guy at 205. Cant wait for this guy! Ive been following him since he was a freshman in college and saw him burn up sidelines and make everybody look silly. Now hes a giant and I know im a tad bias but I have a feeling he is gonna surprise a lot of ppl this year.

BlueSanta
06-24-2013, 05:06 AM
kfel-I read DW say he added 10 lbds this offseason. Dont know the exact #. But I believe h was 205. and now he'll be 215...which is freak of naturish bc of how atheltic/well he moves

This is likely accurate. If you look at all the guys in the league in that 5'8-5'9ish and 215 ish LBS, guys like Rice, Martin, MJD all entered the league lighter than the weight at which they settled. Martin entered the league a bit older, but when he was the same age as Wilson he was a sophomore in College and he weighed less than Wilson.

Most backs gain a little weight/strength after entering the league. If Wilson gained 10 lbs he will be virtually the same size as those other guys. He did enter the league younger than most, so he likely has some growth left in his frame.

TheAussieGiant
06-24-2013, 06:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRb-1fkz-8A

David Wilson highlights from last season, Impossible to watch these and not get excited about what might happen this year.

Amazing how many highlights he produced with such limited touches, a real human highlight reel.

Toadofsteel
06-24-2013, 07:02 AM

David Wilson highlights from last season, Impossible to watch these and not get excited about what might happen this year.

Amazing how many highlights he produced with such limited touches, a real human highlight reel.

That's a video of some world of warcraft clone, has nothing to do with Wilson...

Redeyejedi
06-24-2013, 07:04 AM

Ummm what what the Hell is Nimrode

Redeyejedi
06-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Here is Wilson highlights from the best Giant Video guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uviR8HjLDxk

GameTime
06-24-2013, 08:09 AM

wow....you're a drag....
lighten up take a happy pill or something

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Know he hasn't done much but lets not forget about Scott. He impressed them enough for them to carry him as ther 4th RB two years ago and he missed most of last season with an injury.

GeoGoGo
06-24-2013, 10:48 AM
How does Wilson get as few touches as he did last season? Man, he is explosive! A threat every time he touches the ball.

GO GIANTS!!!

ryan12
06-24-2013, 11:04 AM
wow....you're a drag....
lighten up take a happy pill or something

+1

kfelgigiants
06-24-2013, 02:31 PM
AWESOME video. He ran a 4.49 at the nfl combine which I thought was very slow for him. He has incredible football speed and separates in hurry from great athletes, looks like he can easily run into the 4.3's. Pretty sure he ran a sub 4.4 in his college days.

giantsfan420
06-24-2013, 02:59 PM
DW doesnt get enough credit for his vision and ability to setup the defenders so he has extra space to outsprint them.

giantsfan420
06-24-2013, 03:02 PM
or enough credit for his power. he packs a serious punch bc of all that inertia and momentum he generates. and when he braces for impact, he did show he would cover up the ball, a key component.

giantsfan420
06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
and wanna know Hynos importance, notice one key consistent on all of DW's positive runs in that highlight (hint-same guy lead blocks each time)

kfelgigiants
06-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Seriously. Im pretty stoked to see how much power he'll gain this offseason with those added pounds. Should make a big difference for a guy that like u said, has that much momentum going forward.