PDA

View Full Version : ELI=JETER ??

keyofgmen
06-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Ernie Accorsi makes the comparison as seen in "news link" thread from Daily News.
That's bold...

GameTime
06-23-2013, 01:38 PM
probably more for their demenor and they way they handle themselves on and off the field. The competiitiveness too..

BigBlue1971
06-23-2013, 01:43 PM
yea I think that's it.

both as professional athletes have avoided controversy in highly publicized careers.....in New York City!

King Sully
06-23-2013, 01:45 PM
They're are parralels

joemorrisforprez
06-23-2013, 02:05 PM
In terms of playing under pressure, there is definitely a similarity. They are both clutch in huge games.

Both of them are likeable, but Jeter is much cooler than Eli in terms of charisma. Derek Jeter is the Fonz....Eli is more like Potsy.

Also, Jeter has accomplished much more than Eli. Jeter is on a level with Joe Montana or Michael Jordan.

I'm a huge Eli fan, but Derek Jeter is an 18 year veteran and 5 time World Series Champion.....he has more hits than any other NY Yankee, 5 Gold Gloves, more hits than any shortstop in major league history, and is a 13 time all-star.

If Eli wins 4 Super Bowls, then yeah, we can have this conversation.

B&RWarrior
06-23-2013, 03:03 PM
In terms of playing under pressure, there is definitely a similarity. They are both clutch in huge games.

Both of them are likeable, but Jeter is much cooler than Eli in terms of charisma. Derek Jeter is the Fonz....Eli is more like Potsy.

Also, Jeter has accomplished much more than Eli. Jeter is on a level with Joe Montana or Michael Jordan.

I'm a huge Eli fan, but Derek Jeter is an 18 year veteran and 5 time World Series Champion.....he has more hits than any other NY Yankee, 5 Gold Gloves, more hits than any shortstop in major league history, and is a 13 time all-star.

If Jeter wins 4 Super Bowls, then yeah, we can have this conversation.

You meant to say,"If Eli wins 4 SBs, then we can have this conversation.", right?

joemorrisforprez
06-23-2013, 03:11 PM
You meant to say,"If Eli wins 4 SBs, then we can have this conversation.", right?

Correct (will edit)

TCHOF
06-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Eli doesn't take steroids

Signed,

Disgruntled, Yankee-hating Mets fan

Toadofsteel
06-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Eli is more like Mariano Rivera. Very quiet and not outspoken at all, very grateful to his teammates (if a little goofy sometimes in private), never causes a media storm or a genuine locker room problem for any reason, just goes out on the field and does his job, in which he comes in super clutch at the end and saves the day. And if he does happen to blow a play or a game, he just gives that aw shucks look, congratulates his opponent, and moves on to the next game.

Oh, and another thing that pushes him closer to the Rivera side of things is that he leads a quiet family life off the field, as opposed to Jeter...

King Sully
06-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Eli is more like Mariano Rivera. Very quiet and not outspoken at all, very grateful to his teammates (if a little goofy sometimes in private), never causes a media storm or a genuine locker room problem for any reason, just goes out on the field and does his job, in which he comes in super clutch at the end and saves the day. And if he does happen to blow a play or a game, he just gives that aw shucks look, congratulates his opponent, and moves on to the next game.

Oh, and another thing that pushes him closer to the Rivera side of things is that he leads a quiet family life off the field, as opposed to Jeter... jeter is the playboy version of Eli, and jeter is also the man lol

Buddy333
06-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Don't see it.

gmen46
06-23-2013, 03:59 PM

If Eli wins 4 Super Bowls, then yeah, we can have this conversation.

I think you're being a bit too literal in the comparison.

First, it's never relevant to compare a player with 9 years in the game and still in his prime, to one who is 18 years into his game and nearing the end of his career. Especially in two different sports.

Second, it's clear to me when I read Accorsi's comments, that he is making a broad comparison (since the 2 obviously do play in different sports) between the two, he's not comparing the two directly against each other.

He sees Eli as representing to the Giants what Jeter has been to the Yankees throughout his illustrious career, from their respective consistent demeanor on and off the field, their humility in the exercise of greatness, their quiet leadership qualities, their interaction with the press (no matter how stupid the question asked),.their respective indispensability to the team's success, and--of course--their proven clutch ability in big game situations resulting in championship game MVP status.. All of this in the most white-hot media on earth.

I fail to see any fault with that comparison.

(BTW, Potsy was a social moron. I don't think that's a fair metaphor for Eli, who really is closer to Richie Cunningham in personality, HA)

Full disclosure--I say this not as a fan of MLB in general, or of the Yankees in particular, but as a Giants football fan who has seen Jeter over the years from the disinterested point of view of the nation outside of NY, and who has watched every Eli Giants game.

GameTime
06-23-2013, 04:24 PM

Oh, and another thing that pushes him closer to the Rivera side of things is that he leads a quiet family life off the field, as opposed to Jeter...
I see what you are getting at but Mo is the BEST at his posiiton ever........not even a doubt...

Toadofsteel
06-23-2013, 04:28 PM
I see what you are getting at but Mo is the BEST at his posiiton ever........not even a doubt...

Your point being?

(Yes, you can call me a homer now...)

GameTime
06-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Your point being?

(Yes, you can call me a homer now...)

The point as you can guess is Mariano eclispes Eli as far as their respective careers. But the personalities can be similar at times...

Rudyy
06-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Your point being?(Yes, you can call me a homer now...)You're a homer.

giantsfan420
06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
I think you're being a bit too literal in the comparison.

First, it's never relevant to compare a player with 9 years in the game and still in his prime, to one who is 18 years into his game and nearing the end of his career. Especially in two different sports.

Second, it's clear to me when I read Accorsi's comments, that he is making a broad comparison (since the 2 obviously do play in different sports) between the two, he's not comparing the two directly against each other.

He sees Eli as representing to the Giants what Jeter has been to the Yankees throughout his illustrious career, from their respective consistent demeanor on and off the field, their humility in the exercise of greatness, their quiet leadership qualities, their interaction with the press (no matter how stupid the question asked),.their respective indispensability to the team's success, and--of course--their proven clutch ability in big game situations resulting in championship game MVP status.. All of this in the most white-hot media on earth.

I fail to see any fault with that comparison.

(BTW, Potsy was a social moron. I don't think that's a fair metaphor for Eli, who really is closer to Richie Cunningham in personality, HA)

Full disclosure--I say this not as a fan of MLB in general, or of the Yankees in particular, but as a Giants football fan who has seen Jeter over the years from the disinterested point of view of the nation outside of NY, and who has watched every Eli Giants game.nice post. i saw it like tha too. moreso the face of the franchise type characteristic.

both guys wont do anything to jeoparize their franchise, both guys want to win and are winners, both guys go about their business with a sort of respect towards the franchise and their fanbase.

i dont know how u could compare a guy playing football and a guy playing baseball on a talent merit bc they dont really have anything in common. while jeter is the better SS and prob athlete, its not like MLB doesnt have a ton of Ortiz's, and "less than top shape" guys and by in large baseball is 100000x different than football. so i saw it more of a comparison in how they represent their NY/NJ franchise.

EliDaMANning
06-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Jeter is nowhere near Jordan lol. They are on different universes.

ShakeandBake
06-23-2013, 07:21 PM

You have no room to talk "Eli Manning is the LeBron James of the NFL" lol

SirRuckus
06-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Please...the ladies love Eli way more.

nygpolishpunk
06-23-2013, 07:34 PM
http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/eli-manning3.jpg?w=300 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Derek_Jeter_allison_shot_8_31_09.jpg/483px-Derek_Jeter_allison_shot_8_31_09.jpg

I don't know what you all are talking about, they're identical

MattMeyerBud
06-24-2013, 01:29 PM

nobody is Jordan...

NOBODY

gumby74
06-24-2013, 01:33 PM
nobody is Jordan...

NOBODY

Bird and Magic revived the NBA. Jordan made it a cash cow. No one had the impact, not just as a player, but as an endorser of the game, that Jordan had. Doesn't Nike still make "air Jordans"?

Edit: And Jeter and Eli are completely different. Jeter is universally loved and adored (as far as I can tell) by NYers.

Rudyy
06-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Bird and Magic revived the NBA. Jordan made it a cash cow. No one had the impact, not just as a player, but as an endorser of the game, that Jordan had. Doesn't Nike still make "air Jordans"?Edit: And Jeter and Eli are completely different. Jeter is universally loved and adored (as far as I can tell) by NYers.Yes