PDA

View Full Version : Is Perry Fewell to blame for the Giants defense the last two seasons?

BJacobs aka The Problem
06-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Ok, bored at work and this have been brought up, but a quick question/article on the ESPN NFC East blog came up asking this.

What's everyone opinion on this subject? Yes we all love to bash the coaching staff when we look at the certain stats, but is this one really on the coordinator, poor play or quite possibly the injury bug?

Rudyy
06-24-2013, 11:14 AM
It's on both the players and the coach.

BJacobs aka The Problem
06-24-2013, 11:18 AM

Ok, but if you had to choose one, which one would you square it on? Are the players not executing? Is there just not enough talent? Is the coach getting all that he can out of his defense? Improper planning?

ryan12
06-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Ok, but if you had to choose one, which one would you square it on? Are the players not executing? Is there just not enough talent? Is the coach getting all that he can out of his defense? Improper planning?

poor play lack of talent

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 11:19 AM
It's on the coach when they at bad but on the players when they shut down the best offenses in the league.

giantscolombia
06-24-2013, 11:20 AM
I think it's Fewell. Even though I agree with Ryan somewhat, I still think that it is up to the D coordinator to make adjustments to what he has. If it means playing extremely preventive or what ever the case may be, Fewell NEEDS to make adjustments!

Rudyy
06-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Ok, but if you had to choose one, which one would you square it on? Are the players not executing? Is there just not enough talent? Is the coach getting all that he can out of his defense? Improper planning?Considering we've been getting progressively worse the last 2 seasons, I'm going to blame it on Fewell.

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 11:24 AM
It's the players and has been for a while. The only thing they do consistently is play inconsistent. The coach is so bad his plan has shut down the best offenses in the league at times and didn't show up at others. Sound familiar? It's how this team rolls.

giantscolombia
06-24-2013, 11:26 AM
It's the players and has been for a while. The only thing they do consistently is play inconsistent. The coach is so bad his plan has shut down the best offenses in the league at times and didn't show up at others. Sound familiar? It's how this team rolls. I agree with you on that BUT it seems as though he does not adjust well in some games...

gumby74
Yes we were 12th in points allowed, but we were close to last in everything else. It's been 2 straight years of being terrible now. KP, Osi, Tuck, JPP, Rolle, Joseph, Webster. You think a defense with those players should be allowing god knows how many yards a game? But I think the majority of it falls on Fewell. And yes, we have injuries too, but you need to adjust. It's not like our entire team got decimated. Our defense has talent. It's up to the coaching staff to harness that and use it.

The only saving grace is that Fewell did decent in his first year here. But that year, I think wewere completely healthy and that doesn't happen often - for any team.

The way I see it, building defense is like building a motor where if a key cog fails, the entire thing breaks. Operate at say 70% capacity, sure. But dead last?

Buddy333
Adjust how? With what?

ryan12
06-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I think it's Fewell. Even though I agree with Ryan somewhat, I still think that it is up to the D coordinator to make adjustments to what he has. If it means playing extremely preventive or what ever the case may be, Fewell NEEDS to make adjustments!

i agree he needs to make adjustments but is it perry's fault tuck has sucked past two years is it perry's fault that c web was so bad last year he looked like he wouldnt make a highschool team. is it perry's fault that our d played with no heart last year? dont get me wrong fewell isnt off the hook in my mind but you cant blame 1 person when he has 11 players that werent good. stevie brown and linval joseph are the only 2 players on d that played well last year

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Yes we were 12th in points allowed, but we were close to last in everything else. It's been 2 straight years of being terrible now. KP, Osi, Tuck, JPP, Rolle, Joseph, Webster. You think a defense with those players should be allowing god knows how many yards a game? But I think the majority of it falls on Fewell. And yes, we have injuries too, but you need to adjust. It's not like our entire team got decimated. Our defense has talent. It's up to the coaching staff to harness that and use it.The only saving grace is that Fewell did decent in his first year here. But that year, I think wewere completely healthy and that doesn't happen often - for any team.The way I see it, building defense is like building a motor where if a key cog fails, the entire thing breaks. Operate at say 70% capacity, sure. But dead last?Yeah but the players you mentioned have not played all that well. At least most of them. This past season Tuck and Osi where bad. Webster was bad. Rolle was bad. KP missed a lot of games otherwise he is a difference maker and now gone. Joseph played well but had no help. JPP also had a good season. So JPP, Joseph, and Prince had a good season last year. That's about it. Not much to work with and they still did finish 12th in points allowed.

BJacobs aka The Problem
06-24-2013, 11:32 AM
So far, every seems to be on Fewell vs Players side of the argument, but could it be that the injuries are playing more into it? Think about a few times last year when Fewell had his whole defense, there was definitely a significant improvement and it seemed like during the SB runs when the defense got hot and played well, it was around then that they got back a players who were injured earlier in the season.

Could it be that injuries might have exposed that lack of depth or the inability of Fewell to work with what he had?

Gimaniac
06-24-2013, 11:33 AM
All of the above.

gumby74
06-24-2013, 11:38 AM
Yeah but the players you mentioned have not played all that well. At least most of them. This past season Tuck and Osi where bad. Webster was bad. Rolle was bad. KP missed a lot of games otherwise he is a difference maker and now gone. Joseph played well but had no help. JPP also had a good season. So JPP, Joseph, and Prince had a good season last year. That's about it. Not much to work with and they still did finish 12th in points allowed. Yeah, i can't argue with the 12 in points allowed thing. That alone should be good enough to win a lot of our games. But we weren't able to stop anyone. I'd like to know where we rank in terms of achieving 3 and outs. We have to be close to the bottom. And in my mind, maybe 3 and outs might be a better statistic than points allowed. If you methodically allow your opponent to score every possession but it takes them 8 minutes to score. Hey, you might be in the middle of the back in points allowed.

My feeling is that he doesn't adjust well. But it's also possible that my expectations of coaches in general is not realistic. It just seems like things happen very "flow chart" like many times.

dezzzR
06-24-2013, 11:40 AM
IMO I think Perry over complicates his schemes at times and then refuses to adjust. He knew Corey had a bad hammy last year and refused to give him safety help. He uses the same blitzing schemes, sending the linebackers right into the rear ends of the Dline. Why not blitz from the edge more? Hes been here over 2 years and vets still have miscues and dont know what theyre doing. He even said during the SB run he simplified things. Why not keep it simple?

Its on the players too but giving up 12000 yards the last 2 years and constantly giving teams 1st downs doesnt exactly instill confidence. And last year they couldnt stop the run either. We better have the most turn overs in the league with the amount of time the defense is on the field.

Perrys main problem is he lets the opposing offenses dictate what hes doing/calling when it should be the other way around.

GameTime
06-24-2013, 11:48 AM
both....coaching and players

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Yeah, i can't argue with the 12 in points allowed thing. That alone should be good enough to win a lot of our games. But we weren't able to stop anyone. I'd like to know where we rank in terms of achieving 3 and outs. We have to be close to the bottom. And in my mind, maybe 3 and outs might be a better statistic than points allowed. If you methodically allow your opponent to score every possession but it takes them 8 minutes to score. Hey, you might be in the middle of the back in points allowed.My feeling is that he doesn't adjust well. But it's also possible that my expectations of coaches in general is not realistic. It just seems like things happen very "flow chart" like many times.Not saying they played great, but lets just say what if. What if Tuck and Osi played a little bit better? What if Canty was not hurt? What if Webster didn't fall so far off? All those what ifs could have equaled 40-50 yards a game and would have had them ranked as a top ten defense. Not that stats are everything, just saying. As far as adjusting just not sure what he could have done with Tuck and Osi as his two premier DE's that didn't play well last year. They started the year thin at CB and then their #1 had a horrible season. They clearly had a problem at DT and the FO knew it. That's why they went out and signed a couple guys and drafted one as well.

ryan12
06-24-2013, 12:19 PM
both....coaching and players

short sweet and to the point... vintage gametime!!! lol

RoanokeFan
06-24-2013, 12:28 PM

Using Stevie Brown as an example of part of the problem. Last season he was a wonder kid re: interceptions. But, more often than not, he was in the wrong place at the wrong time on the field. I'm not saying that's why he had the interceptions but, while the interceptions were impressive, the same guy had problems knowing where he was supposed to be. I'm not down on Brown, I think he can improve by studying and practicing harder and probably will

How much of that goes on that we don't recognize? When all it takes is a momentary hesitation to blow an assignment, if we have to find fault, it needs to be applied across the board.

FishinTheSalt
06-24-2013, 12:32 PM
With little to no pressure on opposing qb's, it's hard to pinpoint exactly who is at fault. You got to occasionally mix things up, not just rush 4 linemen and put everyone else in zone. Eventually someone is going to get open. Whether Fewell refused to make adjustments because of the personnel or because of his ego remains to be seen. I have to believe TC would have intervened if it was the latter.

RoanokeFan
06-24-2013, 12:39 PM
With little to no pressure on opposing qb's, it's hard to pinpoint exactly who is at fault. You got to occasionally mix things up, not just rush 4 linemen and put everyone else in zone. Eventually someone is going to get open. Whether Fewell refused to make adjustments because of the personnel or because of his ego remains to be seen. I have to believe TC would have intervened if it was the latter.

I don't see a coaching ego issue on this team anywhere.

NYGinIN666
06-24-2013, 12:58 PM
It would be reductive to blame it on any one thing or person. Failure to execute, failure to make in game modifications, injuries, failure to stop the run and get pressure, ...in another sense, I don't think Fewell schemes around players strengths and skills. In games where the D-line obviously wasn't getting any push or penetration, Fewell didn't dial up creative blitz schemes, but, our DBs weren't covering very well....but, maybe they weren't covering as well because the line wasn't getting pressure. It's complex. Blame very rarely resides in one person. Injuries at DT and CB were evident at times too

gmen46
06-24-2013, 01:10 PM
It would be reductive to blame it on any one thing or person. Failure to execute, failure to make in game modifications, injuries, failure to stop the run and get pressure, ...in another sense, I don't think Fewell schemes around players strengths and skills. In games where the D-line obviously wasn't getting any push or penetration, Fewell didn't dial up creative blitz schemes, but, our DBs weren't covering very well....but, maybe they weren't covering as well because the line wasn't getting pressure. It's complex. Blame very rarely resides in one person. Injuries at DT and CB were evident at times too

I think you hit it on the head.

FishinTheSalt
06-24-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't see a coaching ego issue on this team anywhere.

Exactly, So Fewell probably did the best he could with what he had and unable to make any significant adjustments or personnel changes.

ShakeandBake
06-24-2013, 01:39 PM
All we have to do is look back to the second game of the season against the Bucs to see where the majority of our troubles lie as far as adjustments are concerned. I say this because those people who believe PF should take most if not all of the blame because of his inability to throw in a blitz here or there. Our front four wasn't getting the job done, so PF sends the blitz. Sending the blitz leaves oursecondary vulnerable, and low and behold Vincent Jackson tore us a new one when the blitz was called. It seemed that our defense played like garbage no matter what formation was called.

I'm not saying the coach should take none of the blame here, but I think that most of it falls on the players shoulders. Succeeding whether it be offensively or defensively in a particular scheme is more about player performance than what the coach draws up. Of course one scheme may highlight a particular players skillset moreso than the another, but when it comes down to it, it is up to the player to step up.It seemed that our seconday looked lost out there last year, out of position a lot and not fulfilling their responsibilites on defense.

BJacobs aka The Problem
06-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Well it seems like the blame is getting spread around to both Fewell and the players. Like I noted earlier though, I'm going to throw it at injuries. Granted, most will say injuries are an excuse because every team suffers them, but it always seemed to me that the Giants got hot late when they were finally able to recover from them. Whether it was a player returning back to form or one of the younger players finally playing well after learning on the job, it just felt like they were finally able to get over the injury bump and put a solid squad out there.

Harooni
06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
i partly blame the offense 3 and outs poor 3rd down conversion rates bad redzone turnovers lead to pressure on the defense and points given up.

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Oh no!

BJacobs aka The Problem
06-24-2013, 03:07 PM
i partly blame the offense 3 and outs poor 3rd down conversion rates bad redzone turnovers lead to pressure on the defense and points given up.

Ok, but was that poor play because of lack of talent or poor coaching by Gilbride? :cool:

RoanokeFan
06-24-2013, 03:19 PM
Exactly, So Fewell probably did the best he could with what he had and unable to make any significant adjustments or personnel changes.

We heard from the DB coach last week saying that he took some of the responsibility for the defense's failures and that' what every member of the unit needs to do as well. No one person wins or loses in the NFL.

speedman
06-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Adjust how? With what?How about when their killing you with quick slants, you bring the CB's up closer?

Ladder27
06-24-2013, 04:02 PM
I can't put it all on Perry. Here is something they always say to me at work when we ***** about 2nd shift not doing there job. This is the saying of a life time. ( Well they are working with what they got.) Thing is Perry is working with what hes got and don't got. He came to a team that has a huge hole in the middle of it. Get the guy some good LBers. then i will comment on him alone. Till then the Lbers we have need to step up and play.

egyptian420
06-24-2013, 04:16 PM
I'm not saying Fewel is blame free, but I give the players the bulk of the blame. Too often we had a lack of talent at certain positions (CB and LB) and the positions where we actually had talent, poor effort was displayed.

B&RWarrior
06-24-2013, 04:21 PM
LB play was shoddy as well as a young secondary, as well as spotty run defending DTs, as well as under performing DEs.

Fewell does seem to take a while to make in game adjustments, but the blame is shared.

B&RWarrior
06-24-2013, 04:25 PM
How about when their killing you with quick slants, you bring the CB's up closer?

CBs are all young with exception of C-Web. You should expect growing pains that will continue into this season. It took C-Web 3 years to get it right.

ShakeandBake
06-24-2013, 04:44 PM
How about when their killing you with quick slants, you bring the CB's up closer?

Did you see how many times Corey Webster got beat deep last season? He needed all of the cushion he could get, giving up the quick slant is a lot more favorable than giving up the deep fade or go route.

speedman
06-24-2013, 05:26 PM
CBs are all young with exception of C-Web. You should expect growing pains that will continue into this season. It took C-Web 3 years to get it right.I understand that, but at least move them closer to the line to have a chance to stop it.

speedman
06-24-2013, 05:28 PM
Did you see how many times Corey Webster got beat deep last season? He needed all of the cushion he could get, giving up the quick slant is a lot more favorable than giving up the deep fade or go route.Maybe he's getting beat because they have him playing read and react when hhe is more suited to press coverage.

jomo
06-24-2013, 05:42 PM
Did you see how many times Corey Webster got beat deep last season? He needed all of the cushion he could get, giving up the quick slant is a lot more favorable than giving up the deep fade or go route.To my eyes he was weak on the short routes and weak on the deep balls but he dominated the intermediate routes! :)

Alright, the coaches want to give him a pass because of injuries. I think for a guy like CW he has earned that. Let's see how it rolls this year before going to hard in criticizing him. That's my stand.

Roswell777
06-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Let's face it....

When you're at or near the bottom of most D stats then everyone is to blame.

jomo
06-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Let's face it....

When you're at or near the bottom of most D stats then everyone is to blame.Plenty to go around and speaking of around, there are quite a few players no longer around who contributed to that debacle. I prefer to focus on the future though.

ShakeandBake
06-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Maybe he's getting beat because they have him playing read and react when hhe is more suited to press coverage.

Corey couldn't keep up with anyone, and if you play that way and he isn't able to reroute the WR, it is an automatic completion unless there is safety help over the top, which can't be there every play. Plus our front four could hardly get any pressure last year which makes playing the press even more risky.

ShakeandBake
06-24-2013, 06:07 PM
To my eyes he was weak on the short routes and weak on the deep balls but he dominated the intermediate routes! :)

Alright, the coaches want to give him a pass because of injuries. I think for a guy like CW he has earned that. Let's see how it rolls this year before going to hard in criticizing him. That's my stand.

Who knows what he will be able to do this year, but last year he was pretty bad. I didn't make that post to bash Corey, but to say that it would have been beneficial to have him in press coverage more often last year is laughable.

speedman
06-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Corey couldn't keep up with anyone, and if you play that way and he isn't able to reroute the WR, it is an automatic completion unless there is safety help over the top, which can't be there every play. Plus our front four could hardly get any pressure last year which makes playing the press even more risky.I don't believe our players are suited to read and react. I think he gets beat on the short passes because he is giving up too much of a cushion. On the long passes i believe it is confusion because they seem to indicate that they thought they had help over the top. Watch our defense, before the play they look confused and the same after the play. The defense needs to play agressively.

speedman
06-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Who knows what he will be able to do this year, but last year he was pretty bad. I didn't make that post to bash Corey, but to say that it would have been beneficial to have him in press coverage more often last year is laughable.When did he play best in his career, playing press or read and react?

jomo
06-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Who knows what he will be able to do this year, but last year he was pretty bad. I didn't make that post to bash Corey, but to say that it would have been beneficial to have him in press coverage more often last year is laughable.I was just playing. Clearly CW is not comfortable in PF's defense and would benefit from using his upper body strength in press coverage.

ShakeandBake
06-24-2013, 06:30 PM
When did he play best in his career, playing press or read and react?

Are you trying to argue that Corey was playing as fast and covering as well as he has in his previous years here last season?

ShakeandBake
06-24-2013, 06:38 PM
I was just playing. Clearly CW is not comfortable in PF's defense and would benefit from using his upper body strength in press coverage.

Last season it didn't matter what PF called, our pass rush was ineffective. Corey couldn't stay with anyone deep last year, whatever the excuse may be so why would it be a good idea to have him in press? If this was say even 2 years ago I would agree with you, but last year I don't blame PF for not having him in press coverage more, he simply would not have been able to handle it.

speedman
06-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Are you trying to argue that Corey was playing as fast and covering as well as he has in his previous years here last season?No. Fewell doesn't let them play to their strengths. CW played better under Spags.

ShakeandBake
06-24-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't believe our players are suited to read and react. I think he gets beat on the short passes because he is giving up too much of a cushion. On the long passes i believe it is confusion because they seem to indicate that they thought they had help over the top. Watch our defense, before the play they look confused and the same after the play. The defense needs to play agressively.

You can't play aggressively when your corner has been routinely been beaten deep, especially when you have no pass rush. Man-press, what Corey has excelled at in the past, makes you vulnerable to the deep pass down the sideline, and last year we saw time and time again how he let WRs get behind him. Playing him like that would have done more harm than good.

speedman
06-24-2013, 06:49 PM
You can't play aggressively when your corner has been routinely been beaten deep, especially when you have no pass rush. Man-press, what Corey has excelled at in the past, makes you vulnerable to the deep pass down the sideline, and last year we saw time and time again how he let WRs get behind him. Playing him like that would have done more harm than good.Not if he had over the top help at times. A lot of the times last year when he got beat deep, it looked like he didn't get the help he was expecting.

jomo
06-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Last season it didn't matter what PF called, our pass rush was ineffective. Corey couldn't stay with anyone deep last year, whatever the excuse may be so why would it be a good idea to have him in press? If this was say even 2 years ago I would agree with you, but last year I don't blame PF for not having him in press coverage more, he simply would not have been able to handle it.OK, I agree with you Perrry.

speedman
06-24-2013, 06:55 PM
OK, I agree with you Perrry.LOL

ShakeandBake
06-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Not if he had over the top help at times. A lot of the times last year when he got beat deep, it looked like he didn't get the help he was expecting.

The whole secondary outside of prince was a mess last year. It didn't look like he got help a lot last year, but the majority of completions against him were his fault more than the safety being out of position. Asking the safety to cover that much ground is a lot especially considering the lack of experience we had there last year. Either way that furthers my point that he shouldn't have been in press more often than he was all things considered.

ShakeandBake
06-24-2013, 07:09 PM
OK, I agree with you Perrry.

You should if you want playing time this year Corey.

BlueBlooded1979
06-24-2013, 07:41 PM
CW is a big physical press corner. To maximize his skill set every snap should be a streetfight with the WR or playing the sticks on third down. Most offenses need timing and if the WR is off by a second the QB looks the other way. If he can't play what he is good at then asking him to play up or off isn't going to help. You can't protect corners in this league anymore.

The word on Fewell from day one is that they would give up yards and not points. The imbalance has gotten so bad that the Giant offense had less drive opportunities than any other team except one. That includes all of the turnovers that they forced. The defense can't get off the field when they need to and that has to change.

FBomb
06-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Why is there no choice for "all of the above"? I mean....it IS the correct answer, after all.

speedman
06-24-2013, 09:49 PM
The whole secondary outside of prince was a mess last year. It didn't look like he got help a lot last year, but the majority of completions against him were his fault more than the safety being out of position. Asking the safety to cover that much ground is a lot especially considering the lack of experience we had there last year. Either way that furthers my point that he shouldn't have been in press more often than he was all things considered.It doesn't further your point at all. This defense needs to play more aggressively.

speedman
06-24-2013, 09:50 PM
CW is a big physical press corner. To maximize his skill set every snap should be a streetfight with the WR or playing the sticks on third down. Most offenses need timing and if the WR is off by a second the QB looks the other way. If he can't play what he is good at then asking him to play up or off isn't going to help. You can't protect corners in this league anymore.The word on Fewell from day one is that they would give up yards and not points. The imbalance has gotten so bad that the Giant offense had less drive opportunities than any other team except one. That includes all of the turnovers that they forced. The defense can't get off the field when they need to and that has to change.Well said.

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 10:57 PM
So when the game plan works its the players but when it doesn't its the coach. Ok got it.

JJC7301
06-24-2013, 11:18 PM
+1.

giantsfan420
06-25-2013, 12:49 AM
CW is a big physical press corner. To maximize his skill set every snap should be a streetfight with the WR or playing the sticks on third down. Most offenses need timing and if the WR is off by a second the QB looks the other way. If he can't play what he is good at then asking him to play up or off isn't going to help. You can't protect corners in this league anymore.

The word on Fewell from day one is that they would give up yards and not points. The imbalance has gotten so bad that the Giant offense had less drive opportunities than any other team except one. That includes all of the turnovers that they forced. The defense can't get off the field when they need to and that has to change.well done. encore. nice post.

couldnt have said it better. some fans were under the delusion the offense was holding back the D...in fact, the #s actually support the opposite. So true, I noticed that myself weekly, how our D could not get off the field and teams were pwning us in TOP. it really is a feat we were even 9-7 with that defense. i mean, i should be able to count on one hand the # of 3rd and 15/20 or more conversions...seemed like for a while, we were giving up a few of thise a week. just disgusting. almost lost the Dallas and TB games because of it. 3rd and 30's that almost went for a GW TD (Final play for Dallas offensively iirc) and a TD to V.Jackson vs TB late when that absolutely cannot happen (breakdown in D)...

there were way too many games the D looked like flat garbage. And you know what, that DOES have an affect subconciously on the offense. I remember in 2010, no one seemed to rememer that the D in 2009 was one of the worst we'd have in a long time. Which is why, imo, Eli tried forcing the issue TOO much in 2010 trying to account for the D. And we got to 10-6...(the D under PF, his first year, wasnt near as bad as the yr before so it actually kinda backfired on us) but still missed the playoffs.

I would not be surprised at all if Eli comes out trying to compensate for what he may feel is a D that will be too much like last yrs. Which means, more forced passes in hopes of making a big play, more chances taken, all out of necessity like 2011. SHould be interesting to see how the D and O balance each other this yr.

speedman
06-25-2013, 07:32 AM
So when the game plan works its the players but when it doesn't its the coach. Ok got it. Do you think our players are suited to a read and react defense?

Buddy333
06-25-2013, 07:45 AM
Think the players shut down some of the best offenses last year and didn't show up for other games. That must be on the coach though. Maybe he didn't give them as good of a pep talk.

speedman
06-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Think the players shut down some of the best offenses last year and didn't show up for other games. That must be on the coach though. Maybe he didn't give them as good of a pep talk.Maybe he didn't give them as good of a game plan. Our defense has been worse since he took over.

Buddy333
06-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Except for when they play the best offenses.

pino
06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
This one is hard for me to analyse, but it's definitely the players. I don't know if Fewell is calling plays because of the lack of player execution. If we had the talent and it just wasn't clicking then I would definitely say it's Fewell, but the lack of effort at the D line, the lack of talent at LB, the lack of depth at CB all make me wonder if the players just lack the confidence.

bigal1giant
06-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Enough blame to go around. Don't have to single out individual players on D but all, at one time or another, had a bad spell! But, that said, I'd lean more toward Fewell since it seemed to me once he put a game plan in place it was "ironclad" and was never changed to accomodate changes to the opponents offensive updates, usually in the second half! Great question though!

joemorrisforprez
06-25-2013, 08:20 PM

Agreed......players and injuries, and then Fewell didn't push the right buttons either. He simplified things in 2011, and it made a huge difference down the stretch. But in 2012, it was a different story.