PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Marvin Austin Knows He Has A Lot To Prove: "I've Got To Show what I Can Do"

RoanokeFan
06-24-2013, 01:12 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/06/23/new-york-giants-marvin-austin-understands-he-has-a-lot-to-prove-ive-got-to-show-what-i-can-do/

Excerpt: "Pro football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/) has not yet been kind to former North Carolina defensive tackleMarvin Austin (http://www.giants101.com/tag/marvin-austin/). And as he enters his third NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) season, it's not going to get any easier for him. In fact, he faces the most steep uphill battle of his young career as the New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/)have stocked themselves with potential talent at the defensive tackle position ó talent Austin will have to beat out in order to make the 53-man roster in 2013.

This is something Austin understands. Not only that, but he understands why, and it's something he aims to change once training camp begins in late July.

"You see the competition. It is what it is, and Iím trying to make this team just like everybody else," Austin told The Record (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/212589851_Giants__Marvin_Austin_has_his_own_beat.h tml?page=all). "I feel like, to the organization, Iíve got to show them what I can do. I havenít shown them anything yet. Iíve been in the training room too much. Some things donít have to be said. At the end of the day, Iím glad to have the competition." Read more...

ryan12
06-24-2013, 01:25 PM
he will not make team

TCHOF
06-24-2013, 01:26 PM
If the Giants had any confidence in him, they would not have made so many moves at his position this offseason.

ryan12
06-24-2013, 01:33 PM
If the Giants had any confodence in him, they would not have made so many moves at his position this offseason.

agreed 100% resign rogers signed cullen jenkins mike patterson drafted big hank by by austin

Carter.525
06-24-2013, 01:49 PM
make or break camp for Austin.. probally break

GameTime
06-24-2013, 02:30 PM
If the Giants had any confodence in him, they would not have made so many moves at his position this offseason.
not entirely true.....they have 90 rosters spots for camp. They love the DL position and stack that with competition every season.
If they no confidence they would have given hm and injury settlement.
He knows he has shown nothing and wants to compete. IMO....I hitnk the kid is lazy for some reason and I dont see him making it. But one never knows does one..... Good to him.

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 02:31 PM
He will make the team.

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 02:33 PM
not entirely true.....they have 90 rosters spots for camp. They love the DL position and stack that with competition every season.If they no confidence they would have given hm and injury settlement. He knows he has shown nothing and wants to compete. IMO....I hitnk the kid is lazy for some reason and I dont see him making it. But one never knows does one..... Good to him.This. Also some they have couple of signings that may to make the team. If he can't play at all he may be gone but if he stays healthy and shows a sign he will stick. They also have to consider the fact they may not have Joseph next year.

giantsfan420
06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
agreed 100% resign rogers signed cullen jenkins mike patterson drafted big hank by by austini dunno. its tough i can see ur point but, jenkins, patterson, rogers, are all old players. rogers has a year left, maybe? hes coming off a life threatening blood clot from last yr who knows how he holds up. patterson too had some sort of head issue a few seasons ago and is older. Jenkins is 33 iirc, Patterson too. Rogers is even older iirc.

Austin could beat those guys out if he shows that upside that got him drafted. His problem, he hasnt even shown that yet. He has to stand out and his game, based on getting after the QB, if he can get some confidence who knows...I'm hesitant to claim he makes the team but im not giving up on him at the same time. he DID display some serious talent at 1 point.

GameTime
06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
This. Also some they have couple of signings that may to make the team. If he can't play at all he may be gone but if he stays healthy and shows a sign he will stick. They also have to consider the fact they may not have Joseph next year.
If LJ has another god solid season they will try like hell to keep him I think. Unless one of the young kids steps up huge.....
The again if one of the young kids does step having two really good interior linemen would be a huge benefit to the DL...
Keep LJ....:)

titwio
06-24-2013, 02:45 PM
He will make the team.

I think so too. He's probably the most talented DT the Giants have, he just needs to put it together. Hopefully he really is feeling the pressure of the other tackles and steps his game up cause I can't think of another Giant on the team that would be more satisfying to have breakout for them this year.

Wishful thinking probably on my part but I've still got hope.

giantscolombia
06-24-2013, 02:55 PM
This guy is a joke. I wonder if after we release him he is going to be able to find a job elsewhere...

That is what's going to be interesting to see.

TCHOF
06-24-2013, 02:58 PM
not entirely true.....they have 90 rosters spots for camp. They love the DL position and stack that with competition every season.
If they no confidence they would have given hm and injury settlement.
He knows he has shown nothing and wants to compete. IMO....I hitnk the kid is lazy for some reason and I dont see him making it. But one never knows does one..... Good to him.

Do you think that the Giants have confidence in him stepping in an being a contributor?

TCHOF
06-24-2013, 02:59 PM
I think so too. He's probably the most talented DT the Giants have, he just needs to put it together. Hopefully he really is feeling the pressure of the other tackles and steps his game up cause I can't think of another Giant on the team that would be more satisfying to have breakout for them this year.

Stop it.

titwio
06-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Stop it.

Who's physically more gifted on the Giants? I'll wait...

giantscolombia
06-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Seriously? you really think that?
was that meant to be in red?

ryan12
06-24-2013, 03:03 PM
This guy is a joke. I wonder if after we release him he is going to be able to find a job elsewhere...

That is what's going to be interesting to see.

maybe cfl but that is even stretching it

ryan12
06-24-2013, 03:03 PM

most talented dt we have? thats funny

titwio
06-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Seriously? you really think that?
was that meant to be in red?

Marvin Austin DT blew up the combine and was considered a top 15 pick if not for the off the field concerns.

ryan12
06-24-2013, 03:04 PM

joseph hank jenkins patterson to name a few

ryan12
06-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Marvin Austin DT blew up the combine and was considered a top 15 pick if not for the off the field concerns.

with the limited time he played last year he go pushed around like a little *****. BUST

titwio
06-24-2013, 03:06 PM
most talented dt we have? thats funny

I don't know why people don't get that talent does not mean the same as best.

TCHOF
06-24-2013, 03:07 PM

The big steaming turd that Kevin Boothe left in the third stall of the locker room bathroom during OTA's . . . . .

titwio
joseph hank jenkins patterson to name a few

Now that's funny. Right now they're better players but they're not more physically talented.

giantscolombia

and then what happened??!?

titwio
06-24-2013, 03:09 PM
with the limited time he played last year he go pushed around like a little *****. BUST

It has to do with work ethic not physical talent. Do you people know the difference? I'm not calling him the BEST DT....I'm calling him the most talented which is pretty much factual.

titwio
06-24-2013, 03:10 PM
and then what happened??!?

Umm....he's lazy, hasn't been mentally equipped for starters. I think we have a broken line of communication here.

titwio
06-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Well, they lit up the 2011 NFL Combine’s 40-yard dash considering they’re all right around 300 pounds. Nick Fairley (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/78561/nick-fairley), expected by many to be the No. 1 pick in the 2011 draft, ran a 4.82 at 291 pounds, Marvin Austin (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/5234/marvin-austin) topped him with a 4.8 at 309 pounds, andMarcell Dareus (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/players/35182/marcell-dareus) turned in a 4.96 at 319 pounds. Those are all unofficial times, of course, until everybody gets their runs in.
Oh, and Austin benched 225 pounds 38 times, better than any offensive lineman was able to push this year and second-best overall. Just in case you thought he was only built for speed.

Mike Mayock has called defensive line this draft class’ deepest position. Judging by some of these disgusting showings by enormous Southeastern defensive tackles, he’s probably right. He’s usually probably right anyway.

Fairley and Dareus both went top 15.

giantscolombia
Umm....he's lazy, hasn't been mentally equipped for starters. I think we have a broken line of communication here.
Dude, he has been here for three years! its not laziness anymore. If it is still laziness then something is wrong with our coaches! how is it possible that no one has questioned his work ethic or attempted to light a fire under his (donkey).

I know he had his injury so that is two years to show for something... yet here we are in the 4th year I believe and he is finally saying "he has to show what he can do"

I cant take this guy seriously!

TheEnigma
Between the suspended season at UNC in 10 and the torn pec in the 11 preseason, he probably has just been out of the game for too long to be productive anytime soon and that showed last season. This guy was a monster as a Tar Heel. Ashame it hasn't worked out yet.

TheEnigma
06-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Dude, he has been here for three years! its not laziness anymore. If it is still laziness then something is wrong with our coaches! how is it possible that no one has questioned his work ethic or attempted to light a fire under his (donkey).

I know he had his injury so that is two years to show for something... yet here we are in the 4th year I believe and he is finally saying "he has to show what he can do"

He was drafted in 2011 in the 2nd round. He went down in the preseason with a torn pectoral muscle and when he entered the 2012 season, he accumulated two years of inactivity between the suspension at UNC and the injury in 11. I have no idea if this guy would have been great if those situations never happened but I can't imagine many players being able to produce when they have no serious game experience in 2 years.

Buddy333
06-24-2013, 03:21 PM
He has a ton of athletic ability but sometimes that is not enough. To much time missed may have caught with him. This will probably be his last shot and that could be a great thing to keep him motivated.

titwio
06-24-2013, 03:22 PM

I know people here are fed up with him for not producing and I'm in agreeance. I never defended him on that notion. I merely said he was talented. I think he hasn't taken the mental approach needed to fullfill his talent....kinda an immaturity thing like Dez Bryant before he got the curfew ordeal. I still have faith in him though because IF he does get it together he can be a force.

That's the hope I'm still clinging onto I guess.

giantscolombia
06-24-2013, 03:37 PM
I know people here are fed up with him for not producing and I'm in agreeance. I never defended him on that notion. I merely said he was talented. I think he hasn't taken the mental approach needed to fullfill his talent....kinda an immaturity thing like Dez Bryant before he got the curfew ordeal. I still have faith in him though because IF he does get it together he can be a force.

That's the hope I'm still clinging onto I guess.
Hopefully you are right dude! I hope the best for him... at this point with what he said I also have a gleam of hope he might show up to play....

if not, he will be let go at the end of the season... simple as that...

RoanokeFan
06-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Between the suspended season at UNC in 10 and the torn pec in the 11 preseason, he probably has just been out of the game for too long to be productive anytime soon and that showed last season. This guy was a monster as a Tar Heel. Ashame it hasn't worked out yet.

There is always hope :rolleyes: and competition at camp

Mercury
06-24-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm more excited about 375-lb, what's-his-name than Marvin Austin. And in case you couldn't tell, I'm not excited enough to remember what's-his-name's name.

Eli TO Shockey
06-24-2013, 04:43 PM
We carry at most 4 DT's? Linval, Hankins, Jenkins are shoe ins. He's going to have to beat out Patterson, Kuhn, Rodgers for the final spot. It's possible. Hes going to have to go on a tear in Training camp and preseason.

Eli TO Shockey
06-24-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm more excited about 375-lb, what's-his-name than Marvin Austin. And in case you couldn't tell, I'm not excited enough to remember what's-his-name's name.

is he really 375? Wasnt that his weight going into training camp last year? What a shame

titwio
06-24-2013, 04:46 PM
We carry at most 4 DT's? Linval, Hankins, Jenkins are shoe ins. He's going to have to beat out Patterson, Kuhn, Rodgers for the final spot. It's possible.

Yep to the bolded..... Patterson, Rogers and Kuhn is do-able though if he does impress in camp. It's not out of the question.

Eli TO Shockey
06-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Yep to the bolded..... Patterson, Rogers and Kuhn is do-able though if he does impress in camp. It's not out of the question.

I was really high on Marv when we drafted him. I couldnt believe when he came to camp overweight last year. Especially after missing 2 years of football. To be honest, im surprised he wasn't cut then.

Mercury
06-24-2013, 04:51 PM
is he really 375? Wasnt that his weight going into training camp last year? What a shame

I was going by someone else's post, (still on the first page.) I can't vouche for the accuracy of the information.

titwio
06-24-2013, 04:51 PM
I was really high on Marv when we drafted him. I couldnt believe when he came to camp overweight last year. Especially after missing 2 years of football. To be honest, im surprised he wasn't cut then.

I was high on him too. If you look back at the draft thread that year on here I kept mentioning his name being available in the 2nd round. Hearing about him coming in over weight last year was discouraging to say the least.

jomo
06-24-2013, 04:53 PM
These are the least appealing of the off season articles to me. This could have been written last year or the year before, in fact I think I remember reading them. They could be written about multiple players just change the names. They all follow the same blah, blah, blah routine and sadly remind me of Darryl Strawberry as a Met telling us each spring that "all that stuff is behind me now and I am ready for a huge campaign."

I am reminded at times like this of a famous quote: "when all is said and done, more is said than done."

I wish the young man well but the cold hard truth is that all I care about is production on the field, not words to a reporter.

Eli TO Shockey
06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
I was high on him too. If you look back at the draft thread that year on here I kept mentioning his name being available in the 2nd round. Hearing about him coming in over weight last year was discouraging to say the least.

I'm pretty sure it was Sapp that jinxed him. That guy is a tool in a half.

Eli TO Shockey
06-24-2013, 05:00 PM
These are the least appealing of the off season articles to me. This could have been written last year or the year before, in fact I think I remember reading them. They could be written about multiple players just change the names. They all follow the same blah, blah, blah routine and sadly remind me of Darryl Strawberry as a Met telling us each spring that "all that stuff is behind me now and I am ready for a huge campaign."

I am reminded at times like this of a famous quote: "when all is said and done, more is said than done."

I wish the young man well but the cold hard truth is that all I care about is production on the field, not words to a reporter.

agreed. Too little too late. I hope he's been working his butt off this offseason but nothing in his short career leads me to believe it.

titwio
06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm pretty sure it was Sapp that jinxed him. That guy is a tool in a half.

I remember that. He was calling him baby Sapp or something....

GameTime
06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
Do you think that the Giants have confidence in him stepping in an being a contributor?
other than LJ the jobs on the interior DL are up for grabs....
They have confidence that he "may" pan out....nothing more......thats what I meant...

GameTime
06-24-2013, 05:02 PM

???...most talented...where did you pull that from.....your ???

Eli TO Shockey
06-24-2013, 05:04 PM
I remember that. He was calling him baby Sapp or something....

was that before or after he called shockey a snitch. LOL

titwio
???...most talented...where did you pull that from.....your ???

We already went over this. Talent =/= best.

GameTime
I don't know why people don't get that talent does not mean the same as best.
talent should eqaute to success and so far he has shown anything really....

Eli TO Shockey
06-24-2013, 05:06 PM
A lot of people saw Marv as a steal in the 2nd round. Obviously, the talent is there....

Talent doesnt always equate to success. This is proven time and time again in all sports.

titwio
06-24-2013, 05:08 PM
talent should eqaute to success and so far he has shown anything really....

He's missing the mental but as far as physical raw talent, he's the most gifted DT on the team. It doesn't mean he's the best player. He's shown to be lazy and needs to get the mental side down.

GameTime
06-24-2013, 05:10 PM
He's missing the mental but as far as physical raw talent, he's the most gifted DT on the team. It doesn't mean he's the best player. He's shown to be lazy and needs to get the mental side down.
what are using as your basis of information on the most physically gifted assessment....

titwio
06-24-2013, 05:13 PM
what are using as your basis of information on the most physically gifted assessment....

Size to weight measured athleticism. He's was one of the most highly recruited athletes coming out high school and was seen as a freak of nature. His combine numbers were ridiculous for a man his size. A top 15 talent that fell because of his suspension at North Carolina.

GameTime
06-24-2013, 05:14 PM
Size to weight measured athleticism. He's was one of the most highly recruited athletes coming out high school and was seen as a freak of nature. His combine numbers were ridiculous for a man his size.

ok....like Tebow then.....:)

titwio
06-24-2013, 05:17 PM
ok....like Tebow then.....:)

Haha....no way. The "Tebow" was never a top 15 talent.

GameTime
06-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Haha....no way. The "Tebow" was never a top 15 talent.
he is physically gifted and great athlete though.....
Other than passing I bet his combine stats were great..

I hear though and I happen to agree that he is lazy...or "has been" lazy. Hope he gets his head togther.
I feel the same about the Jasper....no way can that kid sustain any type of effort on a game wise basis at 375....just my 2cents...And if you ballooned up to 420 or whatever than you are lazy and unmotivated....or at least he was....

blue_truth
06-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Too late for anything anyway, even if he has a "good" camp hes gone.

jomo
06-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Too late for anything anyway, even if he has a "good" camp hes gone.It could be a sign of progress. Moving forward and not looking back. If he blows us all away in camp, it will be clear to everyone why he stays. If not, moving in a different direction is progress to me.

Buddy333
06-25-2013, 08:51 AM
If he has a good camp he stays. Why would hey cut him? He was their 2nd round pick 3 years ago and lost one year due to injury. They have a bunch of names on their roster but two guys didn't play last year and another is coming off an injury and may start the season on the PUP. They only have 3 guys that are a shoe in to make the team at DT.

TCHOF
06-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Too late for anything anyway, even if he has a "good" camp hes gone.

Nah, Kuhn will probably start the year on the PUP, and the Giants hate to give up on draft picks. My guess is that he makes it over Rogers.

Ghost
06-25-2013, 10:40 AM

You are Mistaken, sir. He was drafted 2011. He spent a year on IR because of a torn pec, and last year he came of PuP halfway through the season and played half a year, but not very well.He has not "been here" 4 years.he hasn't even "been here " 3 years. He was drafted 26 months ago, bottom line. This season will be his 3rd in the league..

Ghost
06-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Nah, Kuhn will probably start the year on the PUP, and the Giants hate to give up on draft picks. My guess is that he makes it over Rogers.I agree.He signed a 4 year rookie deal, no? He can suck the first half a year, and if by mideseason he is looking good, then we have him for that and all next year on a rookie contract.guy is halfway through his contract, and missed half of that as injured. They wont be so quick to give up, it doesnt make financial sense.Even if he is mediocre this year by next year he may be good after some actual experience.It's happened more than once.

Ghost
06-25-2013, 10:55 AM
rodgers is old, patterson has no real upside, and isnt young either.i would love to see Austin develop, and Kuhn get better and be a solid rotational player next year, and think he could be.

This year they will fight it out, but in 2014 I would love to see Joseph and Jenkins starting, with Hankins and Kuhn as the backup/rotation guys, My midseason maybe nhankins is getting equal playing time with patterson as they start to ease him out to pasture.I think Kuhn can develop as a good rotational player we can have for awhile at a low price.

slipknottin
06-25-2013, 11:20 AM
he will not make team

As Reese would say, you have to let talent fail.

Austin will be given every opportunity to make the team and play substantial snaps.

giantscolombia
06-25-2013, 11:54 AM
You are Mistaken, sir. He was drafted 2011. He spent a year on IR because of a torn pec, and last year he came of PuP halfway through the season and played half a year, but not very well.He has not "been here" 4 years.he hasn't even "been here " 3 years. He was drafted 26 months ago, bottom line. This season will be his 3rd in the league..
My bad. I didnt really know exact dates... I guess in that perspective this should be his last year. No excuses anymore...

BigBlue1971
06-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Austin is a 2nd round pick with little or no experience in the league. if he can show that he can stay healthy that's half his battle.

he supposedly has the talent already so hes makes the final 53 imo.

ryan12
06-25-2013, 01:24 PM
"the saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

penguinfarmer
06-25-2013, 02:52 PM
"the saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

Who says he's wasting it? There's a myriad of events that could very well have slowed his development regardless of how hard he worked to get back.

I didn't bother going through 7 pages, but I already know it's filled with more assumptive posts like these. Bottom line is in all probability, he will be on the roster. Rather than predicting his downfall to substantiate your "I-told-you-so's", the best you can do is at least wait till games are played if you're not going to wish him the best for the Giants. If he comes close to fulfilling his talent that can only be good for the Giants.

TCHOF
06-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Who says he's wasting it? There's a myriad of events that could very well have slowed his development regardless of how hard he worked to get back.

I didn't bother going through 7 pages, but I already know it's filled with more assumptive posts like these. Bottom line is in all probability, he will be on the roster. Rather than predicting his downfall to substantiate your "I-told-you-so's", the best you can do is at least wait till games are played if you're not going to wish him the best for the Giants. If he comes close to fulfilling his talent that can only be good for the Giants.

Well we know he didn't work hard to get back because he showed up to OTA's overweight and out-of-shape last year.

AntB
06-26-2013, 03:30 AM
Send him down to triple A for a season or two.

joemorrisforprez
06-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Marvin Austin was a promising college player.....that's all I've got right now.

titwio
06-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Marvin Austin was a promising college player.....that's all I've got right now.

Keep hope alive.

joemorrisforprez
06-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Keep hope alive.

When he was drafted, I was very hopeful....I thought he might be the biggest impact player in our draft.

This year, he really needs to shine. The DT position is completely overcrowded right now because he's still a huge question mark.

We simply don't have the roster space to keep all these guys....which is a bummer, because I would have been much happier if the Giants were able to focus on OL and LB instead of revisiting a position which Austin was supposed to address.

titwio
06-26-2013, 06:23 PM
When he was drafted, I was very hopeful....I thought he might be the biggest impact player in our draft.

This year, he really needs to shine. The DT position is completely overcrowded right now because he's still a huge question mark.

We simply don't have the roster space to keep all these guys....which is a bummer, because I would have been much happier if the Giants were able to focus on OL and LB instead of revisiting a position which Austin was supposed to address.

The thing is the Giants don't have many pass rushing DT's which was a role he was supposed to fill. They have the bigger run stuffer's in Joseph, Rogers and Hankins. The athletic tackles are Jenkins, Austin and Kuhn. Jenkins isn't long term and is getting up there and Kuhn imo is average and already 27 years old. If Austin steps up and shows just a little of what he's capable of and I think he'll make the team. Personally don't think Rogers will be here mainly because they drafted Hankins (who's very similar in role) and Kuhn is a guy they can put on the squad.

If Austin doesn't show anything he could be gone but I think they're looking to give him the benefit of the doubt....imo of course.