PDA

View Full Version : Vonta Leach and the Hynocerous

dayeh33
06-24-2013, 03:12 PM
It seems like things with Leach are picking up.. so if we were to sign him what are we going to do when Hynoski comes back? We'd easily have the best Fullback tandem in the league which could make for some interesting packages. Could the Giants do what the Patriots did to the tight end position and bring the fullback position back to relevency? Imagine having Hynoski and Leach lining up side by side as dual fullbacks with Wilson or Brown lined up behind them? That would definitely boost our running game significantly

Moke
06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
That would be a beast lineup. Hyno is pretty decent and we know what Leach can do. Is it possible?

giantscolombia
06-24-2013, 03:19 PM
That would be a beast lineup. Hyno is pretty decent and we know what Leach can do. Is it possible?

He's more than decent dude. I think he was ranked top 5 best FB's in the league, if i'm not mistaken...

dayeh33
06-24-2013, 03:23 PM
He's more than decent dude. I think he was ranked top 5 best FB's in the league, if i'm not mistaken...

Now imagine having 2 top 5 FBs in the same backfield blocking?

DVision
06-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Not only would we have the best FB tandem in the league, but we'd have the only FB tandem in the league!!! ;)

Moke
06-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Was he really?

titwio
06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Three backfield set with two lead blockers.

:shock:

Carter.525
06-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Not only would we have the best FB tandem in the league, but we'd have the only FB tandem in the league!!! ;)

we would have the best by default.. :cool:

TrueBlue@NYC
06-24-2013, 04:01 PM

Exactly what I thought as soon as I read the OP.

Return of the wishbone?!

nhpgiantsfan
06-24-2013, 04:01 PM
other than a goal line situation, why in the world would they line up with two FB's and a HB. I can't really see a situation where TC dresses two FB's Pascoe's versatility makes him the backup/emergency FB.

Astorian
06-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Exactly what I thought as soon as I read the OP.

Return of the wishbone?!Wishbone? Why not a double wing with full-house backfield and direct snap to Nassib? We could get rid of Eli, Nicks, and Cruz, and save ourselves a bundle!!! Super Bowl, here we come!!!

amukamerica
06-24-2013, 05:05 PM
i've used the dual FB in many a madden franchise. grind em down.

Jorge Boada
06-24-2013, 07:12 PM
It seems like things with Leach are picking up.. so if we were to sign him what are we going to do when Hynoski comes back? We'd easily have the best Fullback tandem in the league which could make for some interesting packages. Could the Giants do what the Patriots did to the tight end position and bring the fullback position back to relevency? Imagine having Hynoski and Leach lining up side by side as dual fullbacks with Wilson or Brown lined up behind them? That would definitely boost our running game significantly

Sounds great man, but that would mean you have to limitate having one OL or TE less.

giantsfan420
06-24-2013, 08:26 PM
actually, we did use a 3 backfield set a few years ago iirc. Only thing is, I dunno if we lined up 2 FBs and a HB. I believe we had 1 HB, 1 FB, and 1 TE line up in the backfield in a triangle
.........RB
FB................TE
...........QB

and we'd pretty much motion the TE out of the backfield altho we did keep the TE in some, if my memory serves me it was when we had Mathews or Johnson as the backup TE. Theoretically, it'd work with Bear, and, we actually have come out in that set some recently with bear and we motion him to the OL

jomo
06-24-2013, 08:30 PM
If two FB are good, three would be better or four or...............

memfist.ten
06-24-2013, 08:31 PM
i've used the dual FB in many a madden franchise. grind em down.
amukamerica-haha. coolest name

titwio
06-24-2013, 08:41 PM
actually, we did use a 3 backfield set a few years ago iirc. Only thing is, I dunno if we lined up 2 FBs and a HB. I believe we had 1 HB, 1 FB, and 1 TE line up in the backfield in a triangle
.........RB
FB................TE
...........QB

and we'd pretty much motion the TE out of the backfield altho we did keep the TE in some, if my memory serves me it was when we had Mathews or Johnson as the backup TE. Theoretically, it'd work with Bear, and, we actually have come out in that set some recently with bear and we motion him to the OL

They did it last year a couple of times. I still have a couple games on dvr and they did have Hyno and Bear with AB. Like you said though Eli motioned Bear out.

ebick
06-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Hard to imagine us carrying two FBs

jomo
06-24-2013, 09:54 PM
amukamerica-haha. coolest name+1 well chosen no doubt!

MikeSherrard
06-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Okay..a few things

1. The fact that the Giants are looking at a FB, when they clearly have no money and have other holes, is a clear indications that the he injury to Hynoski must be more serious then anyone is letting on.

2. Vonta is using the Giants as a negotiating pawn. How obvious is it that by going on the sirrius radio and stating "The Giants have interest in me", is just a negotiating ploy to get more money from Miami. If Vonta was willing to take a short term low level deal (which is basically all the giants can offer) then he could have just stayed home, in his comfort zone, with the Super Bowl champs and not had to worry about moving his family, learning a new offense etc.

He aint coming.

-JD

Flip Empty
06-24-2013, 10:33 PM
In case you haven't noticed, Hynoski is injured. The Giants are looking for a replacement, not an addition.

Leach would upgrade an already strong position, yet people still complain. Amazing.

giantsfan420
06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
They did it last year a couple of times. I still have a couple games on dvr and they did have Hyno and Bear with AB. Like you said though Eli motioned Bear out.yeah. so we could theoretically, were we to sign leach and hyno get healthy, feature a formation that utilizes 2 lead blockers.

see, most teams wont do that bc the threat of the pass is almost completely erased. for an offense like ours, where we actually can pass out of 2 wr I formation sets successfully, it actually could be some sort of staple. We'd have to take the TE out, but Myers isnt a great blocker anyways. We still would have the versatility to motion one of the FBs to the OL and have him run a route to the flats.
My point being we have used a formation that could feasibly feature 2 FBs and a RB.

giantsfan420
06-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Okay..a few things

1. The fact that the Giants are looking at a FB, when they clearly have no money and have other holes, is a clear indications that the he injury to Hynoski must be more serious then anyone is letting on.

2. Vonta is using the Giants as a negotiating pawn. How obvious is it that by going on the sirrius radio and stating "The Giants have interest in me", is just a negotiating ploy to get more money from Miami. If Vonta was willing to take a short term low level deal (which is basically all the giants can offer) then he could have just stayed home, in his comfort zone, with the Super Bowl champs and not had to worry about moving his family, learning a new offense etc.

He aint coming.

-JDhate to agree but its a solid point. desmond bishop signed with minnesota and he may have done the same thing. really tho, in FA, all the FA's use teams as bargaining chips so its not personal. and who knows, we are making a late surge so maybe we arent only gonna offer a min type deal.

dayeh33
06-24-2013, 10:58 PM
In case you haven't noticed, Hynoski is injured. The Giants are looking for a replacement, not an addition.

Leach would upgrade an already strong position, yet people still complain. Amazing.

He's gonna come back within the first half of the season.

Flip Empty
06-24-2013, 11:38 PM
He's gonna come back within the first half of the season.
If the Giants are somehow able to land Leach, Hynoski would probably be placed on IR (temp, or otherwise). Also, no-one knows when (or if) he'll be able to get back up to speed.

I just don't get why anyone would be content with a weakened rushing attack. Even having it hobbled for half a year would be bad. Having question marks at certain positions is part of what derailed the Giants' 2012 campaign.

Anyway, this discussion is probably all for nothing because I don't think the Giants have much chance of signing him.

Giantslb66
06-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Power I formation

Mr. G-Man
06-25-2013, 12:48 AM

i literally laughed out loud reading this. great post to be honest, as well as all too true.

RolleN N CruzN
06-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Word is Miami is all over Leach and he's most likely to go there.

CowboysSuck
06-25-2013, 11:22 AM

This can't be true..

To what standard? Blocking? Catching, running? I mean what

yo-ho
06-25-2013, 12:00 PM
yeah right, lets have a three back backfield in a passing league. We already have trouble starting games two touchdowns behind by halftime.

The name of the game is balance, and you can't have two roster spots for FBs, especially with Pascoe as a backup.

Flip Empty
06-25-2013, 12:08 PM
yeah right, lets have a three back backfield in a passing league. We already have trouble starting games two touchdowns behind by halftime.

The name of the game is balance, and you can't have two roster spots for FBs, especially with Pascoe as a backup.
Again, Hynoski is injured. He won't be taking up a roster spot.

Pascoe shifting to FB means the Giants need another tight end. The only blocker they'll have will be Adrien Robinson. Pascoe and Robinson would be a pretty big downgrade from Hynoski and Bennett.

bearbryant
06-25-2013, 12:37 PM
The Giants want him, but they will not pay the price! Too bad. Go Giants!

bigal1giant
06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Anyone on here today remember the "Baby Bulls" of the mid 60's? Tucker Frederickson, Ernie Koy and Chuck Mercein! Maybe not quite as big as Hyno and Leach but a crazy package when they all were in the backfield!

kfelgigiants
06-25-2013, 07:44 PM
That was the 60's... its 2013 and the nfl is a different league. I really hope we don't sign leach, as much as I like him as a player we don't have the cap to sign him. Unless hyno's injury is more serious than we think, its not that important, we have Pascoe.

miked1958
06-25-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't see the giants carrying two FBs

miked1958
06-25-2013, 07:46 PM
You have the TE/FB Pascoe but he would be counted as a TE

TennisMenace
06-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Two FBs is not a smart idea. That means we have to cut someone from a position we probably need the depth.

How many QBs do you want?

Astorian
06-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Anyone on here today remember the "Baby Bulls" of the mid 60's? Tucker Frederickson, Ernie Koy and Chuck Mercein! Maybe not quite as big as Hyno and Leach but a crazy package when they all were in the backfield!Yes, I remember them. I don't remember them winning many games, however. After '63 those were mighty lean years.

By the way, was the Frederickson, Koy, Mercein backfield significantly bigger than the Gifford, Webster, Triplett squad?

drewz
06-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Hynoski learning from one of the best fullback's in the game would be awesome

giantsfan420
06-26-2013, 12:43 AM
Two FBs is not a smart idea. That means we have to cut someone from a position we probably need the depth.

How many QBs do you want?well, yea typically.

but our current situation, we prob wont technically carry two FBs. We'd prob PUP or IR Hyno if we signed Leach...But, one thing that makes me hesitant, is that suppose Leach were to have (and 99% he would) a great year...what does that mean we do with Hyno?
I think Hyno could give us 5-7 yrs of prime play which he is just about entering. Leach is at the end of his career imo. maybe 2-3 yrs with the play slightly dropping off until he just didnt have it which could be at any point after this yr really.

bc, one big thing that needs to be understood, Hyno was absolutely essential to whatever success we did have on the ground last yr. he's a big part of the future success we plan to have. w/o him, just playing Bear there, or getting some random guy and hoping he pans out, wont cut it. I mean maybe we'd get by, but with Hyno, our run game can actually be a lethal aspect. Thats why the FO/JR realizes and is trying to get Leach, bc we kinda need that impact FB lead blocking with experience/awareness especially with DW and AB2 back there....

appodictic
06-26-2013, 01:03 AM
A two full back backfield would not work well. Maybe if we go max protect and have two man routes with cruz + nicks. If we tried to run out of that formation it would get swallowed up.

giantsfan420
06-26-2013, 01:14 AM
A two full back backfield would not work well. Maybe if we go max protect and have two man routes with cruz + nicks. If we tried to run out of that formation it would get swallowed up.

well, u'd be surprised. we are actually one of the most successful teams passing out of 2 wr sets. the offensive scheme is complex, but it afford that ability to pass out of formations/situations that arent typical for the rest of the league really.

we also, i believe its a few pages earlier (my settings are 20 posts per page) but i displayed that we actually do use a formation where we line up two FBs on either side of eli, with a RB directly behind Eli and behind the two fbs. it would be a fb, a te, and a rb in the backfield, and we almost always motion the TE to the line. BUT, a few yrs ago when our backup TE was Mathews for whatever reason, we would line him up there not motion him, and run out of the formation.

now, the issue is, does leach provide the versatility a TE like Bear does? not really...BUT, hyno kinda does. we've used hyno as a 3rd down back to protect eli, and we also have used him as a target in the flats as a FB. Maybe it wouldnt be past him to try motioning him out to the OL and either running it towards his side (or not), and having him run a route in the flats (or not and have him block)...but yeah. i dunno how effective the set would be, except, we can pass and be pretty lethal with 2 wr sets. BUT, lol, we also have the TE to occupy the middle of the field and be a legit target and the TE is removed to add the FB/TE in the backfield...

its up to KG to see how itd work. he does have a package that features 3 players in the backfield tho...

jomo
06-26-2013, 01:14 AM
Just to help some of you out, many teams don't even carry one FB these days.

giantsfan420
06-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Just to help some of you out, many teams don't even carry one FB these days.but we do, so thats kinda irrelevant...

jomo
06-26-2013, 01:49 AM
but we do, so thats kinda irrelevant...Alright, then let's keep 2 or 3 or 4 of them........the road not taken.

giantsfan420
06-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Alright, then let's keep 2 or 3 or 4 of them........the road not taken.huh? i'm pretty sure i speak for everyone when i say, we dont want to add a FB out of interest or something. its bc of injury to Hyno, and bc theres actually an ALl Pro FB whose considering us...

if hyno cant go, are u of the opinion we can plug bear in and the run game wont miss a beat? because I sure as hell am not. I know u've discussed the point of adding an OL instead. the only thing is, we dont got a guy facing PUP or IR on the OL whose a starter at the moment. thats the predicament at FB.

these multiple FB set discussions are nothing more than wondering aloud how one MIGHT use 2 FBs bc we feasibly could end up with two fbs depending on Hyno and if we sign Leach...i dont think any of this is unreasonable but if im failing to address something or misrepresenting something in ur eyes pls feel free to share.

Flip Empty
06-26-2013, 02:57 AM
Just to help some of you out, many teams don't even carry one FB these days.
The Giants use one, and they lost him. They're now seeking a replacement.

I know you'd rather use the money to fix the o-line, but what I don't understand is how. How would you fix the o-line with the three or so million dollars the Giants have available to them?

Even once the Giants inevitably lose out on Leach, they'll probably still be in the market for a replacement full back.

Toadofsteel
06-26-2013, 08:06 AM
these multiple FB set discussions are nothing more than wondering aloud how one MIGHT use 2 FBs bc we feasibly could end up with two fbs depending on Hyno and if we sign Leach...i dont think any of this is unreasonable but if im failing to address something or misrepresenting something in ur eyes pls feel free to share.

This is pretty much it... if Hyno were to come back 100%, say, by the week 6 PUP deadline, and we had Leach under contract... well, I think it's incumbent on the coaches to put the best players we have on the field. That's where our 4 DE set, 3 safety set, and other things came from. It's why Belicheck ran the 2 TE set too...

GameTime
06-26-2013, 11:30 AM
keep Pascoe at FB until Henry is ready.....
Unless there is a chance of HH going on IR then maybe....just maybe entertain Leach....