PDA

View Full Version : David Wilson 2013 Outlook

Eli TO Shockey
06-24-2013, 03:52 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43534/260/2nd-year-rbs-david-wilson

Leading up to 2013 training camp, I'm using NFL Game Rewind to take an extended look at each of the following second-year running backs: Lamar Miller, David Wilson, Vick Ballard, Bryce Brown, Bernard Pierce, Ronnie Hillman, Daryl Richardson, Robert Turbin, Isaiah Pead, and LaMichael James.

My Miller writeup can be found at this link. This is Part 2 in a 10-Part Series.

David Wilson

I couldn't get enough of David Wilson coming out of Virginia Tech. He was really fun to watch. When Wilson averaged 4.68 yards per carry and caught five passes for 61 yards in the 2012 preseason, his fantasy Average Draft Position soared out of control (early seventh round) for a raw backup. On the Giants' second offensive possession of the season, Wilson lost a fumble at Dallas' 29-yard line and earned a place deep in no-nonsense coach Tom Coughlin's doghouse. Wilson was used sparingly on offense until the final month, although he put his game-breaking talent to use on special teams, leading the NFL in kickoff return yards and 20-plus-yard returns.

Wilson wound up touching the football 75 times on offense as a rookie. I re-watched all of them over the weekend to strengthen my opinion on Wilson's 2013 outlook. Gone is 2012 feature back Ahmad Bradshaw, leaving Wilson to compete with more sluggish-moving Andre Brown for the Giants' starting job. These were my takeaways after charting Wilson's first-year touches:

more... (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43534/260/2nd-year-rbs-david-wilson)

Eli TO Shockey
06-24-2013, 03:56 PM
This guy has some interesting observations...

Heres what I found a little conerning..

another concern I had with his rookie-year tape was a raw, almost wild playing style with a lot of improvisation that made Wilson a boom-or-bust back. I charted all of 75 of Wilson's touches, and 32 of them gained two yards or worse (42.7 percent). He was prone to negative runs. Wilson totaled 392 yards from scrimmage in his first NFL season. 188 of them (48.0 percent) came on seven plays. Wilson showed a frequent tendency to attempt to make plays outside of the design of the offense, which I can't imagine helped him gain any more of conservative Coughlin's already fleeting trust.