PDA

View Full Version : Wide Receivers Aim For Biggest Season Ever

RoanokeFan
06-25-2013, 08:47 PM
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Wide-Receivers-aim-for-biggest-season-ever/1d31da6c-eb99-464e-99c2-5c1b3cbf4899

With several talented and intriguing players, the Giants corps of wide receivers is looking to have its biggest season ever in 2013.

If Victor Cruz reaches that goal, he will have had quite a season. In 2012, Cruz led the Giants with 86 receptions for 1,092 yards and 10 touchdowns. He was the first the first player in Giants’ history with 80 catches, 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns in a single season. Cruz has back-to-back seasons with at least 80 receptions, 1,000 yards and nine touchdowns. No other Giants receiver has one.

Cruz’s 86 receptions were the second-highest total in Giants history, trailing only Steve Smith’s 107 catches in 2009. Cruz’s 86 catches placed him seventh in the NFC and 12th in the NFL and his 1,092 yards were 10th in the conference and 15th in the league. He was one of 10 NFL players with at least 10 touchdown catches. Cruz caught at least three passes in every game but one (at Dallas on 10/28, when he had two receptions).

Hakeem Nicks is looking to rebound from a 2012 season in which he was sidelined or slowed almost the entire year by a knee injury.

Nicks was inactive for three games and made very brief appearances without a catch in two others. He finished third on the team with 53 receptions, second with 692 yards and tied for third with three touchdown catches.

Rueben Randle caught 19 passes and scored three touchdowns as a rookie and should play a larger role as an NFL sophomore in 2013. Randle played well in the spring drills and seems to have the inside track to be the third wide receiver.

Five-year veteran and first-year Giant Louis Murphy has 115 career receptions for 1,707 yards (14.8-yard avg.) and seven touchdowns. In 2012, he played in all 16 games for the Carolina Panthers and caught 25 passes for 336 yards and a touchdown.

The other wide receiver contenders include Jerrell Jernigan, Jeremy Horne and Kris Adams .

Carter.525
06-25-2013, 09:04 PM
No mention of Barden, Break out year for Randle.. BIG TIME!!

Carter.525
06-25-2013, 09:10 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen would be "shocked" if the Giants and Victor Cruz fail to reach a long-term agreement before the start of training camp, and believes a deal could be hammered out within the "next 10 days."
Mort made the disclosure on NFL32. He expects Cruz to accept somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-$9 million annually, though he didn't make a prediction on the amount of guaranteed money. Cruz is reportedly seeking between $15-18 million guaranteed. It's not an unrealistic request.
source: Rotoworld

didn't know where to post this

J. Tuck Rule
06-25-2013, 09:24 PM
didn't know where to post this

I hope he's right. I was just watching Americas Game: 2011 Giants and, if anyone thinks we'd be the same offense w/o Cruz, they're nuts.

$8-$9 mil would be a steal.

GameTime
06-25-2013, 09:27 PM
if the running game pans out the passing game will flourish

giantsfan420
06-25-2013, 11:23 PM
i'm so excited to see this offense. this wr group def. has a great chance to do some really special things.

JR and Co. have done a tremendous job, imo, putting the offense together. They missed on the D, imo, even tho spending more on it, which goes to show how well they did on the offense...imo lol...

the run game/eli/wrs should all be lights out. If Pugh can insert himself as a starter by week 3 or 4 with it being justified by his play, the sky really is the limit. we may even be able to overcome it if the D struggles horribly...

appodictic
06-26-2013, 12:15 AM
i'm so excited to see this offense. this wr group def. has a great chance to do some really special things.

JR and Co. have done a tremendous job, imo, putting the offense together. They missed on the D, imo, even tho spending more on it, which goes to show how well they did on the offense...imo lol...

the run game/eli/wrs should all be lights out. If Pugh can insert himself as a starter by week 3 or 4 with it being justified by his play, the sky really is the limit. we may even be able to overcome it if the D struggles horribly...

Lets be real. 2011 was eli chuck and duck... that situation will likely never happen again. Basically the playoff run was 8 teams in a row that could not play D to save their life , cowboys, packers, patriots, the only team that had and d was the 49ers, and they had no offence...

We have the SAME OLINE as last year + pugh, who is described as a reach. They are all one year older, and were not good for the last two years. Hynoski is hurt. We have a better catching TE but he is smaller and will not block as well as unicorn did.

The only thing exceptional last year was our return man, who wont be returning kicks any more.

We basically have to hope that nicks recovers 110% and Cruz has a monster year.

I do believe the D will be a lot better this year, but after their incredible SB run I thought we had a great defence, but I was wrong.

jomo
06-26-2013, 12:16 AM
if the running game pans out the passing game will flourishNeither will flourish if the OL doesn't improve. I am hopeful.

giantsfan420
06-26-2013, 12:48 AM
Lets be real. 2011 was eli chuck and duck... that situation will likely never happen again. Basically the playoff run was 8 teams in a row that could not play D to save their life , cowboys, packers, patriots, the only team that had and d was the 49ers, and they had no offence...

We have the SAME OLINE as last year + pugh, who is described as a reach. They are all one year older, and were not good for the last two years. Hynoski is hurt. We have a better catching TE but he is smaller and will not block as well as unicorn did.

The only thing exceptional last year was our return man, who wont be returning kicks any more.

We basically have to hope that nicks recovers 110% and Cruz has a monster year.

I do believe the D will be a lot better this year, but after their incredible SB run I thought we had a great defence, but I was wrong.

i cannot even begin to fathom ur post. i usually try and see the other persons view, ur post is so far off reality, imo, that its not even worth it to try and counter it.

appodictic
06-26-2013, 01:09 AM
i cannot even begin to fathom ur post. i usually try and see the other persons view, ur post is so far off reality, imo, that its not even worth it to try and counter it.

How is my post off from reality? I just read an article on the front page of giants.com that suggested we will have the same 0-line as last year. Is meyers a better blocker then Bennet? So overall we are talking about a general decline on o-line. Hynosky is hurt so we have a decline at full back.

I do not see how that is a good sign for our running game or our passing game.

Nicks may-or may not return to his pre-injury form.

The only variables I see in the equation are:

Meyer's vs bennet
Randle vs mannigham
Flip vs bradshaw

You could call each of those an upgrade if you want, but I dont see how this offence is going to have the biggest season ever.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/eisens-mailbag/article-1/Eisens-Mailbag-Starting-Offensive-Line/5d7e4a10-fbed-422d-8ca0-1a99272b9d30

Giants.com's Michael Eisen answers your questions!
Today’s edition of The Mailbag on Giants.com.

Who do think will be starting on the offensive line?
-Guy

My guess is the same five players who started most games last year. That would be Will Beatty and David Diehl at tackle, Kevin Boothe and Chris Snee at guard and David Baas at center. First-round draft choice Justin Pugh will certainly get a close look in training camp. He worked at right tackle in the spring. As good as Pugh is, it will be difficult for him to beat out Diehl, a proud 11-year veteran. Pugh may eventually work his way into the lineup, but I think we’ll see a veteran crew on opening day.

Same oline as last year is going to produce a vastly different result?

giantsfan420
06-26-2013, 02:25 AM
How is my post off from reality? I just read an article on the front page of giants.com that suggested we will have the same 0-line as last year. Is meyers a better blocker then Bennet? So overall we are talking about a general decline on o-line. Hynosky is hurt so we have a decline at full back.

I do not see how that is a good sign for our running game or our passing game.

Nicks may-or may not return to his pre-injury form.

The only variables I see in the equation are:

Meyer's vs bennet
Randle vs mannigham
Flip vs bradshaw

You could call each of those an upgrade if you want, but I dont see how this offence is going to have the biggest season ever.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/eisens-mailbag/article-1/Eisens-Mailbag-Starting-Offensive-Line/5d7e4a10-fbed-422d-8ca0-1a99272b9d30

Giants.com's Michael Eisen answers your questions!
Today’s edition of The Mailbag on Giants.com.

Who do think will be starting on the offensive line?
-Guy

My guess is the same five players who started most games last year. That would be Will Beatty and David Diehl at tackle, Kevin Boothe and Chris Snee at guard and David Baas at center. First-round draft choice Justin Pugh will certainly get a close look in training camp. He worked at right tackle in the spring. As good as Pugh is, it will be difficult for him to beat out Diehl, a proud 11-year veteran. Pugh may eventually work his way into the lineup, but I think we’ll see a veteran crew on opening day.

Same oline as last year is going to produce a vastly different result?

ur reference to 2011 and eli as this chuck n duck season. and how u basically imply our offense is worthless...with that same OL, we were top 10 across the board and top 5 in many areas offensively...this notion eli had this terrible yr and the offense was awful is only erroneously presented here by a few posters with agendas. your incinuation that theres nothing to be optimistic/look forward to with the offense is so off base i dont know where to begin, so i simply wont and choose to offer a friendly agree to disagree.

RoanokeFan
06-26-2013, 06:58 AM
if the running game pans out the passing game will flourish

+1

Buddy333
06-26-2013, 07:34 AM
They do have a lot of weapons but not so sure they got better at blocking. They lost maybe the best blocking TE and RB in the league last year. The older guys are now another year older and maybe slower and coming off injuries.

EliDaMANning
06-26-2013, 08:30 AM
The passing game will be perfectly fine as long as players stay healthy. The Giants already proven they can win without a running game. It will be nice to finally have a decent run game, but it's not as important as having an o line who can hold their blocks like the Pats do for example.

BJacobs aka The Problem
06-26-2013, 10:31 AM
It's going to come down to two things protection and whether Randle can play as well or better then Manningham/Hixon. Opposing D's are going to key on Cruz and Nicks and try to force as many targets as they can to the TE and other WR. So Randle will definitely need to play well and consistently win his match up. If that happens, whoa man, the Giants O is going to be nasty.

Last year, the Giants were the least sacked team. A lot would probably attribute that to Manning's awareness but the O-line did have a hand in it. If Brown and Wilson can pick up where bradshaw left off and block as well as he did, I'll happy take another season like last year where Manning was only sacked 20 times.

GameTime
06-26-2013, 10:34 AM
The passing game will be perfectly fine as long as players stay healthy. The Giants already proven they can win without a running game. It will be nice to finally have a decent run game, but it's not as important as having an o line who can hold their blocks like the Pats do for example.
the passing game will be perfectly fine..."if" they stay healthy..."if" the oline holds up.....Having a crappy running game is not what you want and the chances of the O doing well without it are not set in stone.
Having a good to very good running game makes of for a less then stellar pass blocking oline.

BTW...I see you took the Eli is the Labron of the NFL sig away. Guess you saw it didnt really make sense at all.....

giantsfan420
06-26-2013, 11:36 AM
It's going to come down to two things protection and whether Randle can play as well or better then Manningham/Hixon. Opposing D's are going to key on Cruz and Nicks and try to force as many targets as they can to the TE and other WR. So Randle will definitely need to play well and consistently win his match up. If that happens, whoa man, the Giants O is going to be nasty.

Last year, the Giants were the least sacked team. A lot would probably attribute that to Manning's awareness but the O-line did have a hand in it. If Brown and Wilson can pick up where bradshaw left off and block as well as he did, I'll happy take another season like last year where Manning was only sacked 20 times.if teams are doing that, not only will Randle be important but so will L.Murphy. I'd almost think we'd want him in when opposing D's are selling out to focus on nicks n cruz bc Murphy can take the top off a defense esp a defense thats eyeing 2 other WR's...

TheAnalyst
06-26-2013, 11:47 AM
I feel the Giants are hoping to sign him long term before the season starts too. Imagine if Cruz and Nicks both have great seasons this year? They would both be pulling for $10M a year and we might let both walk. If we could get Cruz for like a 4/$32 or 5/$40 deal with about 12-15 guarenteed, Id be ok.

BJacobs aka The Problem
06-26-2013, 12:44 PM
if teams are doing that, not only will Randle be important but so will L.Murphy. I'd almost think we'd want him in when opposing D's are selling out to focus on nicks n cruz bc Murphy can take the top off a defense esp a defense thats eyeing 2 other WR's...

Well that was the Pat's game plan during the SB. Shut Nicks and Cruz down and give Eli Manningham and Pascoe as his only targets. Fortunately, Manningham made him pay when him and Eli hooked up on a beautiful pass and catch.

Murphy and Randle are going to need to step up. One other thing I'd like to see is some passes to Wilson out in space. If the D is focusing on Cruz, I wonder if that will open up the RB on a while route or in the flats. Friggen hated when Westbrook used to tear us a new with crap like that. Wonder if Wilson is capable of doing it.

GameTime
06-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Well that was the Pat's game plan during the SB. Shut Nicks and Cruz down and give Eli Manningham and Pascoe as his only targets. Fortunately, Manningham made him pay when him and Eli hooked up on a beautiful pass and catch.

Murphy and Randle are going to need to step up. One other thing I'd like to see is some passes to Wilson out in space. If the D is focusing on Cruz, I wonder if that will open up the RB on a while route or in the flats. Friggen hated when Westbrook used to tear us a new with crap like that. Wonder if Wilson is capable of doing it.
yes woudl like to see some big gains on RB passes. Tiki was pretty good at that

giantscolombia
06-26-2013, 01:14 PM
No mention of Barden, Break out year for Randle.. BIG TIME!!
I heard they plan to use him in the Redzone, apparently he is REALLY tall!

J. Tuck Rule
06-26-2013, 04:42 PM
yes woudl like to see some big gains on RB passes. Tiki was pretty good at that

I think that may end up being Wilson's strong point. He's shifty and fast. Crazy dangerous in space (I hate that phrase 'in space' but, that's kind of the only way to say it I guess. haha)

GameTime
06-26-2013, 04:44 PM
I think that may end up being Wilson's strong point. He's shifty and fast. Crazy dangerous in space (I hate that phrase 'in space' but, that's kind of the only way to say it I guess. haha)

Brown has been and should be effective there too. But as you said...Wilson has the speed to break it on a quick slant....

EliDaMANning
06-26-2013, 04:54 PM
the passing game will be perfectly fine..."if" they stay healthy..."if" the oline holds up.....Having a crappy running game is not what you want and the chances of the O doing well without it are not set in stone.
Having a good to very good running game makes of for a less then stellar pass blocking oline.

BTW...I see you took the Eli is the Labron of the NFL sig away. Guess you saw it didnt really make sense at all.....I took off the sig because I like this better, genius, so take a chill pill and quit stalking.

GameTime
06-26-2013, 06:04 PM
I took off the sig because I like this better, genius, so take a chill pill and quit stalking.
stalking...please.....

you're a joke....

EliDaMANning
06-26-2013, 06:08 PM
stalking...please.....you're a joke....relax dude I feel uncomfortable.

giantsfan420
06-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Murphy and Randle are going to need to step up. One other thing I'd like to see is some passes to Wilson out in space. If the D is focusing on Cruz, I wonder if that will open up the RB on a while route or in the flats. Friggen hated when Westbrook used to tear us a new with crap like that. Wonder if Wilson is capable of doing it.nice post man. we need as many posts like this as possible. 961 since 2006, you can do better than that!...just kidding but nice post

GameTime
06-26-2013, 06:22 PM
relax dude I feel uncomfortable.

I dont......you shouldnt either....

dont really give a damn to be honest

BJacobs aka The Problem
06-27-2013, 09:01 AM
nice post man. we need as many posts like this as possible. 961 since 2006, you can do better than that!...just kidding but nice post

Ha, probably would have been better if I proofread it. Everyone's probably wondering, wth is a while route...hopefully everyone got Wheel route out of it.