PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Roster Breakdown: David Diehl

RoanokeFan
06-28-2013, 12:52 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/6/28/4473820/new-york-giants-roster-breakdown-david-diehl

Excerpt: "David Diehl is competing to keep his job at the Giants' starting right tackle.

We continue now with our breakdown of the 90-man roster the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) will bring to training camp next month. We have arrived at one of the most divisive, possibly the most divisive, players on that roster. That would be veteran offensive lineman David Diehl (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2214/david-diehl).

2012 Season In Review

Diehl played in 13 games, starting 10 at right tackle. A knee injury cost him three games, making last season only the second time in his 10-year career he has missed games due to injury. In those seasons he has missed only seven games. Diehl's Pro Football Focus grade of -6.8 was the worst on the offensive unit, but an immense improvement over the -47.2 he posted in 2011.

joemorrisforprez
06-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Diehl will be the #1 crow-eating thread generator of 2013.

GameTime
06-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Diehl will be the #1 crow-eating thread generator of 2013.
I hope so....but for his sake and not the sake of those fans who call him garbage or the like. Waning skills aside the guy is a true Giant and deserves respect in that regard.
I hope he has a great season. If does then it only benefits the team which is the bottom line anyway

EliDaMANning
06-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Diehl will be the #1 crow-eating thread generator of 2013. LOL good joke

Morehead State
06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I hope so....but for his sake and not the sake of those fans who call him garbage or the like. Waning skills aside the guy is a true Giant and deserves respect in that regard.
I hope he has a great season. If does then it only benefits the team which is the bottom line anyway
Well said. I'm completely on board with this post.

The DD hate sucks around here.

lamas
06-28-2013, 03:01 PM
A lot of the hate was regarding his salary. Him taking a pay cut drastically reduced that. Currently he's exactly what we need: affordable, versatile, experienced, and motivated. Good luck this season DD.

EliDaMANning
06-28-2013, 03:18 PM
What's the point in having a versatile player if he's bottom 5 everytime he steps onto the field no matter what position he plays? Versatility is overrated.

DD threads belong in the general sports section because everytime he plays, the opposing team benefits the most.

GameTime
06-28-2013, 03:21 PM
What's the point in having a versatile player if he's bottom 5 everytime he steps onto the field no matter what position he plays? Versatility is overrated.

DD threads belong in the general sports section because everytime he plays, the opposing team benefits the most.
the point of the thread is hoping this year he is healthy and he has a good season.

EliDaMANning
06-28-2013, 03:24 PM
the point of the thread is hoping this year he is healthy and he has a good season.Never asked whats the point of this thread so what exactly are you blabbing about?

GameTime
06-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Never asked whats the point of this thread so what exactly are you blabbing about?
not blabbing just commenting that your response was of DD past performance but what he can hopefully do this season is what the thread is about ..

EliDaMANning
06-28-2013, 03:41 PM
not blabbing just commenting that your response was of DD past performance but what he can hopefully do this season is what the thread is about ..ok cool so you just replied to my comment for the sake of replying. Cool take care.

GameTime
06-28-2013, 03:48 PM
ok cool so you just replied to my comment for the sake of replying. Cool take care.

nah... I commented on it because I hope DD has a good season and that I don't think of him as a waste..

Roosevelt
06-28-2013, 03:48 PM
David Diehl is the Lebron James of the NFL.

RoanokeFan
06-28-2013, 04:03 PM
A lot of the hate was regarding his salary. Him taking a pay cut drastically reduced that. Currently he's exactly what we need: affordable, versatile, experienced, and motivated. Good luck this season DD.

Serious question; is it his fault that his contract terms were what they were? Did the team not make those terms? Maybe whatever hatred there might be should be directed at Reese if anyone. I'm not accusing you, but many have said this as though Diehl's contract terms were forced on the team.

EliDaMANning
06-28-2013, 04:05 PM
Serious question; is it his fault that his contract terms were what they were? Did the team not make those terms? Maybe whatever hatred there might be should be directed at Reese if anyone. I'm not accusing you, but many have said this as though Diehl's contract terms were forced on the team.I don't agree that most of the hate is directed at him because of his contract. He has every right as a player to get the most $$ as he can.

Unfortunately, relative to his peers, he''s just a bad football player. And that's where the hate comes from.

GameTime
06-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Serious question; is it his fault that his contract terms were what they were? Did the team not make those terms? Maybe whatever hatred there might be should be directed at Reese if anyone. I'm not accusing you, but many have said this as though Diehl's contract terms were forced on the team.
no doubt. If DD was a slacker then yeah you can get pissed. But the guy gives his all. His $$ was whatever the Giants contracted him for. Hoe do hate a player for the $$ that was in his contract. The Giants agreed and he signed.

RoanokeFan
06-28-2013, 04:06 PM
I don't agree that most of the hate is directed at him because of his contract. He has every right as a player to get the most $$ as he can.

Unfortunately, relative to his peers, he''s just a bad football player. And that's where the hate comes from.

Isn't the real question who can play better at the position?

RoanokeFan
06-28-2013, 04:07 PM
no doubt. If DD was a slacker then yeah you can get pissed. But the guy gives his all. His $$ was whatever the Giants contracted him for.

I can understand almost any performance based "hatred" for a player other than his contract salary.

GameTime
06-28-2013, 04:10 PM
I can understand almost any performance based "hatred" for a player other than his contract salary.

agreed....but if a player is giving you 100% even if 100% isnt that good thats all you can ask. I believe DD was not up to par health wise and that hurt his game but I do feel he was giving full effort. I will never "hate" a player for giving a 100%. I can hate the coaches for having in there though

RoanokeFan
06-28-2013, 04:13 PM
agreed....but if a player is giving you 100% even if 100% isnt that good thats all you can ask. I believe DD was not up to par health wise and that hurt his game but I do feel he was giving full effort. I will never "hate" a player for giving a 100%. I can hate the coaches for having in there though

Diehl has done everything they have asked of him for 11 years, he deserves the opportunity to fight for his job IMO

Morehead State
06-28-2013, 04:14 PM
I don't agree that most of the hate is directed at him because of his contract. He has every right as a player to get the most $$ as he can.

Why would a Giants fan "hate" any Giants player?

GameTime
06-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Diehl has done everything they have asked of him for 11 years, he deserves the opportunity to fight for his job IMO

+1....:)

EliDaMANning
06-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Why would a Giants fan "hate" any Giants player?i dunno it shouldnt be the case.

Morehead State
06-28-2013, 04:21 PM
i dunno it shouldnt be the case.
Yet there it is. By your own words.

EliDaMANning
06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Yet there it is. By your own words.Yeah, I cant tell people who to hate or not to hate.

TCHOF
06-28-2013, 04:30 PM

Couldn't agree more.

lamas
06-28-2013, 05:11 PM
I don't blame any player for making as much money as they can, but a problem arises when a player's performance doesn't equal his contract. This is why the front office told Diehl that he has to take a pay cut or be cut. If you buy a Ferrari that can only do 50, you're going to want your money back.

Now that his salary is reduced, he can sit on the bench and it wouldn't be like we're wasting $3M. I like Diehl. He's motivated to improve his play this year and can fit in almost any spot along the line if injuries happen. As a starter he may not be on par with other tackles in the league but he's a decent backup at the very least. He also has value as a mentor to the young guys.

giantsfan420
06-28-2013, 05:34 PM
didnt even read the OP yet, but when I saw the Title i had a feeling this was going to be an interesting thread. DD has been an enigmatic topic of discussion. im interested to see how the threads gone, i have an idea. lets see....

giantsfan420
06-28-2013, 05:40 PM
my comment on the article is that its fair. we, myself included, are victim to the knee jerk, immediate reactions. DD was PUTRID 2011. but, the author is correct that he vastly improved in 2012.

dont forget, dd is a tough guy and as far as i know, disclosed injuries like other players have as an excuse for their crappy play. dd actually had 2 pretty significant injuries he was playing through (hence only 7 games missed in TEN years) and wouldnt use it as an excuse (for the most part. i think he finally did make a comment eventually cant quite recall).

I want and hope Pugh can unseat dd bc that'd mean Pughs ready to go. dd could still be a contributor as the author states. but it is a pretty awesome insurance policy having dd, whether pugh starts or not.

lamas
06-28-2013, 05:40 PM
didnt even read the OP yet, but when I saw the Title i had a feeling this was going to be an interesting thread. DD has been an enigmatic topic of discussion. im interested to see how the threads gone, i have an idea. lets see....
Was it everything you hoped and Morehead?

JesseJames
06-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Deihl will be our RT this year IMO because all we have to back him up are a few guys who never see the field and a rookie with a lot to learn, so lets wish DD good luck and hope he does well....

giantsfan420
06-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Deihl will be our RT this year IMO because all we have to back him up are a few guys who never see the field and a rookie with a lot to learn, so lets wish DD good luck and hope he does well....

i dont know if id classify pugh as having "a lot to learn", well at least not in the usual rookie sense (every player should have a lot to learn year in year out their entire career).

DD is pretty much the best player we could have in helping determine when and if to start Pugh. We dont need to rush Pugh along bc we could goto DD as the starter. But, at the same time, if Pugh can start, its not like DD is automatically penciled in (at least I'd hope not, after last yr tho)....

giantsfan420
06-28-2013, 06:19 PM

DD threads belong in the general sports section because everytime he plays, the opposing team benefits the most.lol that is funny

giantsfan420
06-28-2013, 06:25 PM
I don't blame any player for making as much money as they can, but a problem arises when a player's performance doesn't equal his contract. This is why the front office told Diehl that he has to take a pay cut or be cut. If you buy a Ferrari that can only do 50, you're going to want your money back.

Now that his salary is reduced, he can sit on the bench and it wouldn't be like we're wasting $3M. I like Diehl. He's motivated to improve his play this year and can fit in almost any spot along the line if injuries happen. As a starter he may not be on par with other tackles in the league but he's a decent backup at the very least. He also has value as a mentor to the young guys.very well said lamas.

and can I comment that i've noticed 2 or 3 posters lately who made remarkably poignant, accurate posts with their join date from a few yrs ago minimum and only a few hundred total posts. wish these guys, lamas included, would post more bc they make good points and the discussion goes up a few levels.

but i get that some people dont have the time/ability to comment as much and can only read whatever chance they do get. but lamas, nice post man. and i think the other posters know im referring to them as well.

Captain Chaos
06-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Solid veteran, more of a versatile veteran back up...

We'll see what he has left in his tank, there are a couple of young guys that are going to push him to the limit!

jomo
06-28-2013, 07:45 PM
He is a savvy veteran who can still help us at multiple positions, however..........if he doesn't start at RT that would be a better sign than if he does.

JesseJames
06-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Why would a Giants fan "hate" any Giants player? this is a question that interests me, the word hate and hater is thrown around this board by a lot of people, how can anybody conjure up hate for a player ?

joemorrisforprez
06-29-2013, 05:43 PM

Agreed....and last year, he did what was asked with an MCL injury. He shouldn't have even been on the field, but the injury to Locklear and the lack of anyone better forced him back into action.

And that's something to consider: an injured David Diehl was considered a better option than anyone else available. I don't know if that speaks to a) Diehl's talent, b) the coaching staff's penchant for leaning on injured veterans (Tuck, Bradshaw), or c) Reese's slowness in addressing the line.

For what it's worth, Diehl jumped in to replace Beatty at left tackle in 2011.....I remember alot of GMB'ers saying that the sky was going to fall....instead, both the running and passing game improved through the post-season and they won a Super Bowl. Maybe the coaching staff felt that they could do it again with Diehl in 2012, despite his ****ed up knee..... it wouldn't surprise me if Diehl understated the injury in order get back on the field, because that's the sort of competitor he has always been......he's not one to shut himself down like a lot of other football players in the NFL.

Regardless of what the reason is, blaming Diehl for last season seems to be misplaced. If someone is going to point a finger, point it at the other guys on the roster, or the coaching staff, or the GM.

jomo
06-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Agreed....and last year, he did what was asked with an MCL injury. He shouldn't have even been on the field, but the injury to Locklear and the lack of anyone better forced him back into action.

And that's something to consider: an injured David Diehl was considered a better option than anyone else available. I don't know if that speaks to a) Diehl's talent, b) the coaching staff's penchant for leaning on injured veterans (Tuck, Bradshaw), or c) Reese's slowness in addressing the line.

For what it's worth, Diehl jumped in to replace Beatty at left tackle in 2011.....I remember alot of GMB'ers saying that the sky was going to fall....instead, both the running and passing game improved through the post-season and they won a Super Bowl. Maybe the coaching staff felt that they could do it again with Diehl in 2012, despite his ****ed up knee..... it wouldn't surprise me if Diehl understated the injury in order get back on the field, because that's the sort of competitor he has always been......he's not one to shut himself down like a lot of other football players in the NFL.

Regardless of what the reason is, blaming Diehl for last season seems to be misplaced. If someone is going to point a finger, point it at the other guys on the roster, or the coaching staff, or the GM.Agree, not having the right talent in place to deal with injuries and aging players along the OL is on the GM. Diehl has always been a good soldier for us giving whatever his body and God given talent will allow.

speedman
06-29-2013, 06:56 PM
Agreed....and last year, he did what was asked with an MCL injury. He shouldn't have even been on the field, but the injury to Locklear and the lack of anyone better forced him back into action.And that's something to consider: an injured David Diehl was considered a better option than anyone else available. I don't know if that speaks to a) Diehl's talent, b) the coaching staff's penchant for leaning on injured veterans (Tuck, Bradshaw), or c) Reese's slowness in addressing the line.For what it's worth, Diehl jumped in to replace Beatty at left tackle in 2011.....I remember alot of GMB'ers saying that the sky was going to fall....instead, both the running and passing game improved through the post-season and they won a Super Bowl. Maybe the coaching staff felt that they could do it again with Diehl in 2012, despite his ****ed up knee..... it wouldn't surprise me if Diehl understated the injury in order get back on the field, because that's the sort of competitor he has always been......he's not one to shut himself down like a lot of other football players in the NFL.Regardless of what the reason is, blaming Diehl for last season seems to be misplaced. If someone is going to point a finger, point it at the other guys on the roster, or the coaching staff, or the GM.Blame the coaches they put Diehl back in before Locklear got hurt. At that time Locklear was outplaying Diehl.

GameTime
06-29-2013, 10:43 PM
this is a question that interests me, the word hate and hater is thrown around this board by a lot of people, how can anybody conjure up hate for a player ?
its called ignorance and thinking you (you in general here) know more than the coaches.

giantsfan420
06-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Was it everything you hoped and Morehead?lol i didnt even get this at first. it took, lets see, a few days? a personal best! i usually dont get a joke until a week or so later.

BigBlue wins
06-30-2013, 11:01 PM
He is a savvy veteran who can still help us at multiple positions, however..........if he doesn't start at RT that would be a better sign than if he does.

+1 if the staff see better in Pugh and Co. then we are in a better spot. These guys know way more than I ever could about football. Let them fight for their spot, I just want Diehl to not stink up the place after fighting for his job.

appodictic
07-01-2013, 03:10 AM
I do not think people HATE deal as much as they HATE the fact that our oline and running game is on the decline, and eli has shown he can be a 5000 yard passer, but our oline does not seem to get it done...