PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Justin Tuck Says JPP Doing "Very Well" Following Back Surgery

RoanokeFan
06-29-2013, 07:42 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/06/29/new-york-giants-justin-tuck-says-jason-pierre-paul-is-doing-very-well-after-back-surgery/

Excerpt: "Getting overshadowed by some of the big storylines right now is some good news for the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants. After sharing how good he felt both physically and mentally, Big Blue defensive captain Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/tag/justin-tuck/) toldESPN New York (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/26429/notebook-cruz-did-the-smart-thing) that his teammate and good friend Jason Pierre-Paul (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jason-pierre-paul/) is feeling good after undergoing back surgery.

"I speak to him all the time," Tuck said. "[He's] doing well."

Tuck also said he's not the only one hearing the positive news; others have heard the same. He's also been around to see Pierre-Paul work on his rehabilitation." Read more...

Captain Chaos
06-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Think that may be some old news repackaged, but good to hear anyhow.

RolleN N CruzN
06-29-2013, 09:28 AM
JPP was smart in getting the surgery. At least he'll be recovered by the time he gets back within Weeks 2, 3, or 4.

TCHOF
06-29-2013, 09:59 AM
The problem with the 3-4 month recovery time frame is that it doesn't take into account what was going on (or not going on) in the months leading up to the surgery.

If his back was so bad that he ultimately needed surgery, I will guarantee you that he did no weightlifting or heavy working out between the time that last season ended and the time of the surgery, because he would have wanted to rest his back to see if he could potentially avoid surgery.

So by the time he is three months out from his surgery, you are talking about a player who probably hasn't done any football related conditioning for 9 months or so. He is not going to be ready to step onto an NFL field as soon as the projected three months recovery time is up . . . .

RolleN N CruzN
06-29-2013, 10:16 AM
TCHOF, you may be right. But these are Elite athletes who have mysteriously enough recovered from major injuries in half the time that it traditionally would take for recovery. Look at AP, RGIII as prime examples. JPP will be back and productive.

Gimaniac
06-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Next man up does not apply to JPP. The defense will struggle without him. Even when he comes back, its going to take a few games to get him going again.

jomo
06-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Is JT auditioning to replace Jay Horowitz?
I prefer my players to play and not to pontificate on everything and everyone.
Please JT, save what is left of your strong image among the faithful and trap your flap.

GameTime
06-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Is JT auditioning to replace Jay Horowitz?
I prefer my players to play and not to pontificate on everything and everyone.
Please JT, save what is left of your strong image among the faithful and trap your flap.
Pontificating?? Really?...
He's is the capt of the D and one of the faces of the franchise he will be in the media.
What has he said that can be described as pontificating???

bansaw
06-29-2013, 12:44 PM
The comment in the Keith Rivers - Amanda Bynes link is straight out of Penthouse Forum

L.T.56
06-29-2013, 02:28 PM
I think he will have a nice bounce back year. Does anyone think he will be able to break strahans season sack record?

keyofgmen
06-29-2013, 02:30 PM
I think he will have a nice bounce back year. Does anyone think he will be able to break strahans season sack record?

Not unless Favre comes out of retirement again..JK...

GameTime
06-29-2013, 02:31 PM

No way.....but I sure hope he plays like he wants to......

jomo
06-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Pontificating?? Really?...
He's is the capt of the D and one of the faces of the franchise he will be in the media.
What has he said that can be described as pontificating???Captain is a title and one that needs to be earned and one that doesn't make him the spokesmodel for the team. His performance over the last two years has been abysmal for the most part. He needs to get himself ready to play and just shut up. Reporters and coaches should comment on other players performance, expecially when it is just conjecture and blah, blah, blah. It is one thing if he were commenting after a game about an enourmous performance by one of his teammates. Right now he is just balthering, yes pontificating about stuff that means ABSOLUTELY nothing. Shut up JT and get ready to play. All we (sorry, all I) care about is production. Talk is cheap, get ready to play.

Here is a much better way for him to engage reporters.

"Hey, you know I love JPP and all my teammates but right now all I am focusing on is getting myself ready to contribute this year."

He is not a coach, he is not a GM, he is not even a player who has played well in a very long time. There is no playce for a guy like him (which is to say most of the roster) to wasted our time commenting on stuff.

GameTime
06-29-2013, 03:24 PM
Captain is a title and one that needs to be earned and one that doesn't make him the spokesmodel for the team. His performance over the last two years has been abysmal. He needs to get himself ready to play and shut up. Reporters and coaches should comment on other players performance, expecially when it is just conjecture and blah, blah, blah. It is one thing if he were commenting after a game about an enourmous performance by one of his teammates. Right now he is just balthering, yes pontificating about stuff that means ABSOLUTELY nothing. Shut up JT and get ready to play. All we (sorry, all I) care about is production. Talk is cheap, get ready to play.
ehh...you are way over reacting IMO......
He isnt bragging or talking any kind of BS. He mearly stated that JPP feels good....BFD

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 03:30 PM
This guy talks so much.

jomo
06-29-2013, 03:31 PM
ehh...you are way over reacting IMO......
He isnt bragging or talking any kind of BS. He mearly stated that JPP feels good....BFDCould be but if this were the first episode of this from JT since the end of the season, I wouldn't be reacting this way. This is an every week deal with him and for me it is annoying. I want to hear about JPP's progress from our trainers, our GM and our coaches, not a guy who is wasting time with reporters when he should be in the weight room or watching tape or mentoring the young guys. After 20 or more articles where JT is either trying to convince himself that he is gonna be better this year or talking about his teammates, I am just tired of it. He is a guy in his contract year who, IMO, is trying to talk his way to the next deal rather than demonstrating what his value it to this team. Silence is golden.

This is gonna sound funny after my rant but I really like JT but he is just wearing me down with this unnecessary stuff that makes him look like a guy trying to hang onto a career by being the team spokesperson for everything and forgetting what creates value for us and the team.................production on the field.

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Mentoring the young guys? Lol. There was another thread where he got ripped apart for getting in touch with Moore and telling him to get ready to work hard. Yeah that went over real well around here.

jomo
06-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Mentoring the young guys? Lol. There was another thread where he got ripped apart for getting in touch with Moore and telling him to get ready to work hard. Yeah that went over real well around here.I didn't say talk about mentoring. I said mentoring. He needs to shut up and actually earn his salary IMHO.

Listen, if we got one article this whole offseason about how hard he is working with the young guys I would have thought that was great...........but.............I never liked self promoters (think Tiki) and thought that JT would never be that guy. Then bam this offseason, all we get are self serving articles about him and not the team. I will be reduntantly repetitive, he needs to just shut up and focus on getting HIMSELF ready to play. Hi play will speak much louder than his tedious words.

GameTime
06-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Could be but if this were the first episode of this from JT since the end of the season, I wouldn't be reacting this way. This is an every week deal with him and for me it is annoying. I want to hear about JPP's progress from our trainers, our GM and our coaches, not a guy who is wasting time with reporters when he should be in the weight room or watching tape or mentoring the young guys. After 20 or more articles where JT is either trying to convince himself that he is gonna be better this year or talking about his teammates, I am just tired of it. He is a guy in his contract year who, IMO, is trying to talk his way to the next deal rather than demonstrating what his value it to this team. Silence is golden.

This is gonna sound funny after my rant but I really like JT but he is just wearing me down with this unnecessary stuff that makes him look like a guy trying to hang onto a career by being the team spokesperson for everything and forgetting what creates value for us and the team.................production on the field.
I just dont see it the same way as you. I have no issues with what he has been saying. I see no big deal at all. Of course I want him to have agreat season but what he has said has zero to do with is prep for the season. He even admitted his head hasnt been in the right place and he feels now it is so we will see if that pans out.

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Oh stop. He couldn't do anything right to please most of the fans on this board. He might be the most hated guy on here and the the second most important player in there last two Super Bowl wins. Anything he says is wrong at this point.

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 03:41 PM
I just dont see it the same way as you. I have no issues with what he has been saying. I see no big deal at all. Of course I want him to have agreat season but what he has said has zero to do with is prep for the season. He even admitted his head hasnt been in the right place and he feels now it is so we will see if that pans out.Apparently he is supposed to look at the media and say nothing at all. Of course that would also get people upset so he can't win.

GameTime
06-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Apparently he is supposed to look at the media and say nothing at all. Of course that would also get people upset so he can't win.
yep...
I just dont see what he has done that is so upsetting. Ehh....whatever. To each his own.

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 03:45 PM
yep...I just dont see what he has done that is so upsetting. Ehh....whatever. To each his own.If he was calling his own press conferences, blaming other players, blaming coaches, or making guarantees on wins maybe there would be a problem.

jomo
06-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Oh stop. He couldn't do anything right to please most of the fans on this board. He might be the most hated guy on here and the the second most important player in there last two Super Bowl wins. Anything he says is wrong at this point.Not true for me. I have really respected him from his first days with us, can't speak for others. Compare him with Eli's approach this offseason to understand what I am driving at. What is important to Eli? Convincing himself through the media twice a week that he is poised to have a better year or trying to comment on every player in camp? No, he is approaching this as the job it is and just getting prepared physically and mentally for the season ahead. It is the preferred approach for me and one that JT has followed every year until this one. TEDIOUS

Rudyy
06-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Not true for me. I have really respected him from his first days with us, can't speak for others. Compare him with Eli's approach this offseason to understand what I am driving at. What is important to Eli? Convincing himself throught the media twice a week that he is poised to have a better year or trying to comment on every player in camp? No, he is approaching this as the job it is and just getting prepared physically and mentally for the season ahead. It is the preferred approach for me and one that JT has followed every year until this one. TEDIOUSWell said.

jomo
06-29-2013, 03:49 PM
I just dont see it the same way as you. I have no issues with what he has been saying. I see no big deal at all. Of course I want him to have agreat season but what he has said has zero to do with is prep for the season. He even admitted his head hasnt been in the right place and he feels now it is so we will see if that pans out.When all is said and done, more is said than done. I would prefer that he focus on the "done." It is just how I always react to people who spend too much time talking and not enough time doing. Coming off his last two seasons of under production I tend to have a short fuse on his approach this off season. I have always loved the guy (sitll do) just trying to give him the guidance on handling the press that he is not getting from his handlers.

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Do you think he calls the media?

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 03:53 PM
You have an issue with a him talking about his teammate feeling good. Seriously?

speedman
06-29-2013, 03:56 PM
When all is said and done, more is said than done. I would prefer that he focus on the "done." It is just how I always react to people who spend too much time talking and not enough time doing. Coming off his last two seasons of under production I tend to have a short fuse on his approach this off season. I have always loved the guy (sitll do) just trying to give him the guidance on handling the press that he is not getting from his handlers.You do realize these guys are hounded by the press?

jomo
06-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Do you think he calls the media?Unlikely, Tiki was the one who would call reporters to rat out coaches and teammates and self promote.

I have written this several times before but will repeat it for you here if you haven't seen it. There are better and worse ways to respond to a reporter and JT has been choosing the worse way consistently this off season. Here is a better way in an hypothetical Q&A with a reporter using the JP scenario.

Reporter: "Hey Justin, how you doing? I was wondering what you think of JPP's progress since surgery?"

Justin: "Hey reporter, nice shades they must be overpaying you lol. Ya know, I love JPP just like all of my teammates but to be honest all I have been paying attention to this offseason is getting ready for the coming season. If you want information on his physical progress you should speak with Barnes our trainer or coach Coughlin." "Have a good fourth of July man and all the best to your family."

If he were a second or third year player I'd be cutting him some slack but he is in his 9th ?? year and a graduate of Notre Dame. There is no reason why he shouldn't be playing these half brained media guys like a fiddle.

jomo
06-29-2013, 04:00 PM
You do realize these guys are hounded by the press?...........then why do we hear nothing like this from Eli??

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Unlikely, Tiki was the one who would call reporters to rat out coaches and teammates and self promote. I have written this several times before but will repeat it for you here if you haven't seen it. There are better and worse ways to respond to a reporter and JT has been choosing the worse way consistently this off season. Here is a better way in an hypothetical Q&A with a reporter using the JP scenario.Reporter: "Hey Justin, how you doing? I was wondering what you think of JPP's progress since surgery?"Justin: "Hey reporter, nice shades they must be overpaying you lol. Ya know, I love JPP just like all of my teammates but to be honest all I have been paying attention to this offseason is getting ready for the coming season. If you want information on his physical progress you should speak with Barnes our trainer or coach Coughlin." "Have a good fourth of July man and all the best to your family."If he were a second or third year player I'd be cutting him some slack but he is in his 9th ?? year and a graduate of Notre Dame. There is no reason why he shouldn't be playing these half brained media guys like a fiddle.Right, he should script all his responses. Why be real?

speedman
06-29-2013, 04:17 PM
...........then why do we hear nothing like this from Eli??We did hear from Eli. They asked him about Cruz's contract and Nicks not showing up for ota's and he responded.

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 04:18 PM
...........then why do we hear nothing like this from Eli??Do we hear about Eli being around as much?

jomo
Right, he should script all his responses. Why be real?........well, so that he doesn't look like a fool commenting on all kinds of things that are not his business. I want my players totally foucused on getting themselves ready and working in a team concept directed by the coaches to prepare for battle that is the NFL. I do not want my players worrying about or commenting on things that don't directly translate to wins. It is not what we pay them for. But that is just my opinion. That is what makes these boards go round. You don't care about that stuff and there's nothing wrong with that.

Delicreep
Jomo,

Normally, I might actually be on your side here, but I had a slightly different first take on it: good to see the D showing some closeness and connection to each other.

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 04:19 PM
........well, so that he doesn't look like a fool commenting on all kinds of things that are not his business. I want my players totally foucused on getting themselves ready and working in a team concept directed by the coaches to prepare for battle that is the NFL. I do not want my players worrying about or commenting on things that don't directly translate to wins. It is not what we pay them for. But that is just my opinion. That is what makes these boards go round. You don't care about that stuff and there's nothing wrong with that.What's not his business?

jomo
06-29-2013, 04:19 PM
We did hear from Eli. They asked him about Cruz's contract and Nicks not showing up for ota's and he responded.The tally is then Tuck 30, Eli 2.
Do you read these threads? That has been my point.

jomo
06-29-2013, 04:21 PM
What's not his business?Other players performance is not his business. That belongs to the coaches and GM. But hey, that's just me. lol

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Other players performance is not his business. That belongs to the coaches and GM. But hey, that's just me. lolWhat did he say about another players performance?

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 04:24 PM
The tally is then Tuck 30, Eli 2.Do you read these threads? That has been my point.Seems that is at more events than Eli. You really think they wouldn't approach Eli just as much if not more?

speedman
06-29-2013, 04:24 PM
The tally is then Tuck 30, Eli 2.Do you read these threads? That has been my point.Only sometimes.

jomo
06-29-2013, 04:25 PM
What did he say about another players performance?Took me too long to realize this but you are the old "Buddy" from the old boards aren't you?

jomo
06-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Only sometimes.lol, that makes us even.

Buddy333
06-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Took me too long to realize this but you are the old "Buddy" from the old boards aren't you?So what did he say?

joemorrisforprez
06-29-2013, 05:46 PM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/06/29/new-york-giants-justin-tuck-says-jason-pierre-paul-is-doing-very-well-after-back-surgery/

Excerpt: "Getting overshadowed by some of the big storylines right now is some good news for the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants. After sharing how good he felt both physically and mentally, Big Blue defensive captain Justin Tuck (http://www.giants101.com/tag/justin-tuck/) toldESPN New York (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/26429/notebook-cruz-did-the-smart-thing) that his teammate and good friend Jason Pierre-Paul (http://www.giants101.com/tag/jason-pierre-paul/) is feeling good after undergoing back surgery.

"I speak to him all the time," Tuck said. "[He's] doing well."

Tuck also said he's not the only one hearing the positive news; others have heard the same. He's also been around to see Pierre-Paul work on his rehabilitation." Read more...

JPP will be a force in 2014.

Blue_Cusen
06-29-2013, 10:21 PM
........well, so that he doesn't look like a fool commenting on all kinds of things that are not his business. I want my players totally foucused on getting themselves ready and working in a team concept directed by the coaches to prepare for battle that is the NFL. I do not want my players worrying about or commenting on things that don't directly translate to wins. It is not what we pay them for. But that is just my opinion. That is what makes these boards go round. You don't care about that stuff and there's nothing wrong with that.

Whether or not he looks like a fool to some fans apparently doesn't concern him. I must be reading the above post wrong.

I have my opinions about what players should and shouldn't do, believe me. I can be pretty critical and I'm certainly not happy with Tuck's performance at times last couple seasons. But I can't imagine having a problem with what a player is thinking or concerning themselves with in June running up to training camp. You know, short of being involved with a bunch of murders or something of that nature.

They get paid an obscene amount but that doesn't mean they have to be single minded slaves, does it?

I think Tuck maybe isn't as good as we thought he was. He got stuck with the leadership label when Stray left and it just isn't a natural fit for him. He seems to try to hard to give the press the 'I'm the leader of the D' stuff they chase him around for. He's been through a lot of personal stuff and more than a couple injuries. I hope he finds himself mentally AND physically and plays like a true Giant this season.

In the mean time I don't expect him to pin his mouth shut and drape himself in a Giants flag 24-7.

That's just my opinion.

RoanokeFan
06-29-2013, 10:26 PM
JPP will be a force in 2014.

Let's hope, but back surgery is not trivial. I always wonder what "he'll be ready" for opening day really means? Will he be able to participate in training camp? Not likely. So how is he going to be "ready"?

embeshAtYa
06-30-2013, 08:40 PM
The guy tried a lot of stuff to keep his back under control. So they decided to sure fix it. Surgery. Which should be second choice. So now he has to recover and thats it.. We are fine., Look at Kiwi. had a herniated or buldging disk in neck. didn get surgery.

bearbryant
06-30-2013, 08:59 PM
JPP will come back and have a very nice year: 15-18 sacks. Unfortunately, JT, I believe will never overcome the cheap shot that he took from that pig on Dallas. Even more importantly, I feel that our LB corp will start to bring the pain in '13, finally. Go Giants!

giantsfan420
07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
The guy tried a lot of stuff to keep his back under control. So they decided to sure fix it. Surgery. Which should be second choice. So now he has to recover and thats it.. We are fine., Look at Kiwi. had a herniated or buldging disk in neck. didn get surgery.kiwi got surgery on that neck injury...

lamas
07-01-2013, 10:47 AM
The tally is then Tuck 30, Eli 2.
Do you read these threads? That has been my point.

The last 4 Tuck threads were all articles written with quotes from his appearance at the Big Daddy Golf Classic charity event. One event. He's not running around town to everyone with a mic. It's the off season and reporters are going to stretch every bit of "news" they can.

I personally would love it if players talked MORE, but with critics like you I understand why they don't. You need to lighten up a little. He can't shut up and play because we are still a couple months away from the season.

As for Tuck wasting your time, don't read the articles then. Clearly your day is not that busy if you're able to take the time to tell Tuck to shut up every time a new thread pops up and then defend your position to those of us who disagree with you.

Eliscruzzz
07-01-2013, 10:49 AM
No way.....but I sure hope he plays like he wants to......me too...can't wait to see JPP beast.

GameTime
07-01-2013, 12:52 PM
The last 4 Tuck threads were all articles written with quotes from his appearance at the Big Daddy Golf Classic charity event. One event. He's not running around town to everyone with a mic. It's the off season and reporters are going to stretch every bit of "news" they can.

I personally would love it if players talked MORE, but with critics like you I understand why they don't. You need to lighten up a little. He can't shut up and play because we are still a couple months away from the season.

As for Tuck wasting your time, don't read the articles then. Clearly your day is not that busy if you're able to take the time to tell Tuck to shut up every time a new thread pops up and then defend your position to those of us who disagree with you.

agreed....