PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Year RBs: David Wilson

RoanokeFan
06-29-2013, 04:07 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43534/260/2nd-year-rbs-david-wilson

Excerpt: "Leading up to 2013 training camp, I'm using NFL Game Rewind to take an extended look at each of the following second-year running backs: Lamar Miller (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7408/Lamar-Miller), David Wilson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7448/David-Wilson),Vick Ballard (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7615/Vick-Ballard), Bryce Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7670/Bryce-Brown), Bernard Pierce (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7427/Bernard-Pierce), Ronnie Hillman (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7440/Ronnie-Hillman), Daryl Richardson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7691/Daryl-Richardson), Robert Turbin (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7423/Robert-Turbin), Isaiah Pead (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7491/Isaiah-Pead), and LaMichael James (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7409/LaMichael-James).

My Miller writeup can be found at this link (http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/43526/260/2nd-year-rbs-lamar-miller). This is Part 2 in a 10-Part Series.

David Wilson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7448/David-Wilson)

I couldn't get enough of David Wilson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/7448/David-Wilson) coming out of Virginia Tech. He was really fun to watch. When Wilson averaged 4.68 yards per carry and caught five passes for 61 yards in the 2012 preseason, his fantasy Average Draft Position soared out of control (early seventh round) for a raw backup. On the Giants' second offensive possession of the season, Wilson lost a fumble at Dallas' 29-yard line and earned a place deep in no-nonsense coach Tom Coughlin (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/8356/Tom-Coughlin)'s doghouse. Wilson was used sparingly on offense until the final month, although he put his game-breaking talent to use on special teams, leading the NFL in kickoff return yards and 20-plus-yard returns.

Wilson wound up touching the football 75 times on offense as a rookie. I re-watched all of them over the weekend to strengthen my opinion on Wilson's 2013 outlook. Gone is 2012 feature back Ahmad Bradshaw (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/4305/Ahmad-Bradshaw), leaving Wilson to compete with more sluggish-moving Andre Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5276/Andre-Brown) for the Giants' starting job. These were my takeaways after charting Wilson's first-year touches:

I first reexamined the fumble that essentially got Wilson benched. It occurred at the 6:43 mark in the first quarter of the NFL opener. Cowboys ILB Sean Lee (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/5876/Sean-Lee) -- an All-Pro caliber defender -- took a sensational angle to launch himself into Wilson on a toss sweep off left tackle, popping the ball loose. Wilson even had the football in the correct hand, away from the oncoming defender. Put simply, I thought it was a great play by Lee. And Wilson never fumbled again during the season.

Of course, Wilson exacerbated his problems by dropping a pass on his very next opportunity for an offensive touch. Lined up at Z receiver, Wilson ran a short drag route over the middle in Week 2 against Tampa Bay. Eli Manning (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/NFL/1657/Eli-Manning)'s perfectly-placed pass rifled through Wilson's hands. Targeted only nine times all year, Wilson had another drop in Week 4 on a shovel pass against the Eagles.

Fumbling is fixable -- and Wilson did so after Week 1 -- but another concern I had with his rookie-year tape was a raw, almost wild playing style with a lot of improvisation that made Wilson a boom-or-bust back. I charted all of 75 of Wilson's touches, and 32 of them gained two yards or worse (42.7 percent). He was prone to negative runs. Wilson totaled 392 yards from scrimmage in his first NFL season. 188 of them (48.0 percent) came on seven plays. Wilson showed a frequent tendency to attempt to make plays outside of the design of the offense, which I can't imagine helped him gain any more of conservative Coughlin's already fleeting trust.

Wilson ran poor pass routes. He tried to make cuts in the backfield that resulted in lost yards. Decision making is a term more often associated with quarterbacks, but it's also applicable to running back performance. And Wilson was a highly questionable decision maker as a rookie. He was an unpredictable play-to-play back.

As a receiver, Wilson is a drop-prone body catcher and lacks natural hands. The Giants obviously had little or no faith in him as a pass protector. Wilson touched the football on just five third-down plays all year.

It may seem like I'm piling on, but that's not the intent here. Wilson's rookie season deserves criticism. There were reasons he didn't earn a significant role until late in the year, and it wasn't just because of the Week 1 fumble. For the rest of this column, we'll focus on Wilson's positives.

And this is critical, because it was evident the more I watched: Wilson got better and better as his rookie year progressed. His confidence seemed to improve and he found a late-season rhythm as Coughlin entrusted him with heavier workloads. A maddeningly impatient runner early in the year -- he would regularly slam into the line without restraint -- Wilson became noticeably more composed down the stretch. There were still boom-or-bust elements to his game, but less and less. Wilson received at least 13 touches in three of the Giants' final four games. He averaged 6.07 yards per touch and 5.74 yards per carry over the final month with four touchdowns, not including a 97-yard kickoff return score in Week 14 against the Saints." Read more...

jomo
06-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Really exctied to see Wilson make his next move with us this year.

I think the narrative about Coughlin benching Wilson after the fumble is off the mark. Most in the media try to report in bullet points to appeal to the masses when really it is more complicated than that.

For starters, of course someone with a fumbling problem isn't going to play much for any coach in the NFL whether it is their first year or 7th year.
However, Wilson didn't fumble much and if he really got banished for fumbling as some in the media have suggested, then why was he back there returning kickoffs for us?

I think Coughin's decision limit Wilson's playing time had more to do simply with David not being ready to do all that the position requires in the NFL. Returning kickoffs is MUCH less complex, so he played there. At RB you've got blocking assignments, pass route assignments etc. I am sure that the coaching staff simply felt that he wasn't ready for a big roll there early in the season. The fumble I am sure had some minor impact but I don't believe it was central to the decision.

Go David!
Go Giants!!

RoanokeFan
06-29-2013, 08:27 PM

I think the narrative about Coughlin benching Wilson after the fumble is off the mark. Most in the media try to report in bullet points to appeal to the masses when really it is more complicated than that.

For starters, of course someone with a fumbling problem isn't going to play much for any coach in the NFL whether it is their first year or 7th year.
However, Wilson didn't fumble much and if he really got banished for fumbling as some in the media have suggested, then why was he back there returning kickoffs for us?

I think Coughin's decision limit Wilson's playing time had more to do simply with David not being ready to do all that the position requires in the NFL. Returning kickoffs is MUCH less complex, so he played there. At RB you've got blocking assignments, pass route assignments etc. I am sure that the coaching staff simply felt that he wasn't ready for a big roll there early in the season. The fumble I am sure had some minor impact but I don't believe it was central to the decision.

Go David!
Go Giants!!

I don't understand how they can say "benched", which was not the case. He set a record fielding and returning kicks. If there was a place on the field you would want to not have a "fumbler", it would be in the other guy's end zone.

I'm anxious to see how much he's improved.

ALLnygIN
06-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Big believer in Wilson.. kid has all the talent you neeed to be a better than good running back in the NFL.. just has to work hard to learn the intricacies to be an successful back in the NFL. Kid has alot of pride and wants to be good, so it's just a matter of time in my opinion.

TheAussieGiant
06-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Always seems to me that people choose to forget what was happening after the fumble. The kid was absolutely distraught on the sideline. No way can you put him back in the game like that. Coughlin gave him time to settle down as the season went on, and kept putting him back in situations that he was succeeding in, rather than loading him up with extra responsibilities.

Its funny that as Wilson started saying how he wanted to do more and could do more that he started being given more oppurtunities to prove it. If this kid carries his late season swagger into the start of this coming season I'll be very happy.

BTW if you want to get pumped for the season watch David Wilsons highlights, unreal how many of his 75 touches are worthy of a highlight reel.

Cloud57
06-29-2013, 11:17 PM
This could be one of the best offenses in the league this season

jomo
06-29-2013, 11:20 PM
I don't understand how they can say "benched", which was not the case. He set a record fielding and returning kicks. If there was a place on the field you would want to not have a "fumbler", it would be in the other guy's end zone.

I'm anxious to see how much he's improved.I think it could be alot.

eLi MusT gO dEEp
06-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Wilson was electric in the return game last season and corrected the fumbling problem pretty quickly. Honestly didn't remember he had none after Week 1, amazing.

I think back to the first Philly game where he had over 200 kick off return yards and the San Fran game where had 2 for100 one of which after halftime that set us up big, this kid was a game changer. He will be Mr. Electric, Mr. Exciting for us this season. Brown/Wilson will be one helluva tandem.

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Wilson was electric in the return game last season and corrected the fumbling problem pretty quickly. Honestly didn't remember he had none after Week 1, amazing.

I think back to the first Philly game where he had over 200 kick off return yards and the San Fran game where had 2 for100 one of which after halftime that set us up big, this kid was a game changer. He will be Mr. Electric, Mr. Exciting for us this season. Brown/Wilson will be one helluva tandem.

Wilson had one fumble and two dropped passes. I don't think he was being punished for that but I do think, as the article suggests, he was still early in the learning curve and they found his niche for the season in kick returns and incorporated him in the offense as circumstances allowed.

GameTime
06-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Wilson had one fumble and two dropped passes. I don't think he was being punished for that but I do think, as the article suggests, he was still early in the learning curve and they found his niche for the season in kick returns and incorporated him in the offense as circumstances allowed.

this^^^

Flip Empty
06-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Yeah, but he was brought out early in week one, which suggested he had the coach's trust. Post-fumble he appeared to be relegated to garbage time.

GameTime
06-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah, but he was brought out early in week one, which suggested he had the coach's trust. Post-fumble he appeared to be relegated to garbage time.
ehhh.....57 returns for over 1500 yards....hardly garbage time.....

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah, but he was brought out early in week one, which suggested he had the coach's trust. Post-fumble he appeared to be relegated to garbage time. That "garbage time" resulted in his setting a team record.

Flip Empty
06-30-2013, 09:43 AM
That "garbage time" resulted in his setting a team record.
I'm talking about on offense.

GameTime
06-30-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm talking about on offense.
realize that but the trust for carrying the ball still existed if they had him on KOs....right?
His other RB assigment duties must ahve been lacking

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 09:50 AM
I'm talking about on offense. He wasn't ready

giants_rock
06-30-2013, 09:53 AM

Go David!
Go Giants!!

+1

Flip Empty
06-30-2013, 10:08 AM
realize that but the trust for carrying the ball still existed if they had him on KOs....right?
His other RB assigment duties must ahve been lacking
I dunno. How would they lessen his playing time due to perceived deficiencies of which that they hadn't trialled live?

All I noticed was that Wilson came out early on in the first game of the season, fumbled, then wasn't really seen again until later in the year. His first carry was on the 15 - not somewhere you'd give the ball to someone you don't trust. Yes, he remained as the kick returner, but I just see that as a completely different game.

But sure, it's certainly possible. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong.

GameTime
06-30-2013, 10:20 AM
I dunno. How would they lessen his playing time due to perceived deficiencies of which that they hadn't trialled live?

All I noticed was that Wilson came out early on in the first game of the season, fumbled, then wasn't really seen again until later in the year. His first carry was on the 15 - not somewhere you'd give the ball to someone you don't trust. Yes, he remained as the kick returner, but I just see that as a completely different game.

I am not trying to say I am right either. Just trying to put a reason on why he wasnt used as an RB. They coaches see him in practice everyday....
either way this season will be different.

Flip Empty
06-30-2013, 10:29 AM
either way this season will be different.
Yeah for sure. I'm excited to see what he can do.

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 10:33 AM

Did you read the article about his route running? Did you see him get knocked down when blocking? Those things he was not prepared for at VT he has to learn and we have one of the best coaching staffs in the NFL to help he get there.

Flip Empty
06-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Did you read the article about his route running? Did you see him get knocked down when blocking?
Yes, those faults became more evident the more we saw of him. But, he wasn't asked to do either of those things vs Dallas during opening week, so how could he be penalized for them? The only thing he did wrong was fumble. He received two tosses early, then was gone.

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 11:20 AM
I think this is less about Wilson and more about what were trying to accomplish as a team. We were defending SB Champs. Running bad routes, missing a few blocks, dropping passes, and other typical rookie mistakes are okay in Cleveland, but last year the Giants should have been able to compete for the SB, if healthy. When the stakes are that high you just can't afford those mistakes that can cost you so much. It was a forgone conclusion that Wilson would make those mistakes. All rookies do.

The opposite argument is that we won the SB and completed our playoff run with AB as our starting RB his rookie year, and he did a lot of the things Wilson is accused of doing. AB was a notoriously poor blocker his rookie year. The stakes were just as high and he proved worthy.

I think the mistakes were a factor, and the fact that we were defending champs was also a factor, but the 3rd and most important factor is that we had AB2 waiting in the wings, an option we didn't have in 2007. AB was running equally as well and was significantly more polished in all respects. He's not quite the homerun threat Wilson is but he averaged over 5 yards per carry in 2012 before he got hurt and he doesn't make mistakes. Mistake free football is a HUGE part of TC's formula for success.

Side note: I lost almost all respect for the author's RB observation abilities when he called AB2 slow. WTF? All I could think of while I was reading his Wilson analysis was yeah this sounds good, but you just called AB2 "sluggish", so I know you don't have a clue.

GameTime
06-30-2013, 11:54 AM
I think this is less about Wilson and more about what were trying to accomplish as a team. We were defending SB Champs. Running bad routes, missing a few blocks, dropping passes, and other typical rookie mistakes are okay in Cleveland, but last year the Giants should have been able to compete for the SB, if healthy. When the stakes are that high you just can't afford those mistakes that can cost you so much. It was a forgone conclusion that Wilson would make those mistakes. All rookies do.

The opposite argument is that we won the SB and completed our playoff run with AB as our starting RB his rookie year, and he did a lot of the things Wilson is accused of doing. AB was a notoriously poor blocker his rookie year. The stakes were just as high and he proved worthy.

I think the mistakes were a factor, and the fact that we were defending champs was also a factor, but the 3rd and most important factor is that we had AB2 waiting in the wings, an option we didn't have in 2007. AB was running equally as well and was significantly more polished in all respects. He's not quite the homerun threat Wilson is but he averaged over 5 yards per carry in 2012 before he got hurt and he doesn't make mistakes. Mistake free football is a HUGE part of TC's formula for success.

Side note: I lost almost all respect for the author's RB observation abilities when he called AB2 slow. WTF? All I could think of while I was reading his Wilson analysis was yeah this sounds good, but you just called AB2 "sluggish", so I know you don't have a clue.
great points...
other teams can "afford" to make kistakes given their "goal" as an org in a particular season....

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Yes, those faults became more evident the more we saw of him. But, he wasn't asked to do either of those things vs Dallas during opening week, so how could he be penalized for them? The only thing he did wrong was fumble. He received two tosses early, then was gone.

His entire time at Virginia Tech all he had to do was run the ball. He excelled in that one dimension. But the NFL brings with it more responsibilities and more challenges and it's just inconceivable that a rookie would be able to master reads, routes, and blocking assignments during his first regular season. The Giants put him in the only place where his primary skill set, running the ball, could be used to everyone's best advantage, and it worked pretty well.

Flip Empty
06-30-2013, 06:09 PM
His entire time at Virginia Tech all he had to do was run the ball. He excelled in that one dimension. But the NFL brings with it more responsibilities and more challenges and it's just inconceivable that a rookie would be able to master reads, routes, and blocking assignments during his first regular season. The Giants put him in the only place where his primary skill set, running the ball, could be used to everyone's best advantage, and it worked pretty well.
But again, after fumbling he wasn't used that early, or at that spot on the field, until much later in the season. The only thing that changed was the fumble.

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 06:37 PM
But again, after fumbling he wasn't used that early, or at that spot on the field, until much later in the season. The only thing that changed was the fumble.

OK, we'll just disagree

giantsfan420
06-30-2013, 07:03 PM
wait, the author means to say a rookie RB didn't come in and dominate the NFL, instead, getting better n better as the season went on until he avg about 6 ypc the final month of the season....you don't say. the shock.

I didn't really see those issues the author saw, at least not to the level he wrote. but, to each their own. i did agree he showed more confidence as the season went on tho.

Tommy_Ribs
06-30-2013, 10:51 PM
With Wilson and Brown leading the running game, and having 4 WRS with the Caliber of Nicks, Crus, Ruben Randle and Louis Murphy, I see this offense gaining a lot of yards next year and having an opportunity to score a lot of points - IF they can punch it in from the Red-Zone.

Having a game-breaking Tail that can legitimately take a hand off 80 yars is not something we have had since Bradshaw was a youngster.

This is a great element to the offense delivered by Wilson. We just also need to keep Brown healthy, so he can punch it in from the goal-line.

amukamerica
06-30-2013, 10:59 PM
honestly outside of the opening game the only bad plays i really remember DW having was a handful of runs that died in the backfield or at the LOS, (what RB doesn't have those, lets be real) and getting creamed picking up a blitz right before eli threw a really terrible INT in the falcons game.

giantsfan420
06-30-2013, 11:17 PM
With Wilson and Brown leading the running game, and having 4 WRS with the Caliber of Nicks, Crus, Ruben Randle and Louis Murphy, I see this offense gaining a lot of yards next year and having an opportunity to score a lot of points - IF they can punch it in from the Red-Zone.

Having a game-breaking Tail that can legitimately take a hand off 80 yars is not something we have had since Bradshaw was a youngster.

This is a great element to the offense delivered by Wilson. We just also need to keep Brown healthy, so he can punch it in from the goal-line.i dont know how a giants fan couldnt get excited about this offense...we should see some great things. JR and Co. really have done an amazing job stacking the skill positions...here's hoping the OL gets back to NYG football level.

EliDaMANning
07-01-2013, 12:09 AM
RB have short shelf lives. It was embarrassing to just put a guy as talented as him in the doghouse over one fumble. Now I know why he started crying. He understood then and there he wasn't going to get carries for the remainder of the season LOL.These stubborn dinosaur coaches man.