PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Roster Breakdown: Jonathan Hankins

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 12:11 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/6/29...nathan-hankins (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/6/29/4475088/new-york-giants-roster-breakdown-johnathan-hankins)

Excerpt: "The New York Giants are intent on improving their run defense in 2013, and selecting Johnathan Hankins in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft was part of that effort.

As we continue to roll through our player-by-player look at the 90-man roster the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) will bring to training camp we have arrived at one of the players the organization will be a bright new star on a hopefully much-improved defense. That would be Johnathan Hankins (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/193413/johnathan-hankins), the massive 6-foot-3, 320-pound defensive tackle selected in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-draft).

2012 Season In Review

Hankins registered 55 tackles (four for loss) and one sack in 12 games for the Ohio State Buckeyes, who went 12-0. Hankins earned first-team All Big 10 honors. He had 67 tackles (11 for loss) and three sacks in 2011." Read more...

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Big Hank is going to be nasty. The impassable blue mountain in the middle.

jomo
06-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Change is good and our whol DT situation needed quite a bit of it. I hope he is part of a revitalized unit.

GameTime
06-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Big Hank is going to be nasty. The impassable blue mountain in the middle.
can only hope. Pupmed up to see what some of these new kids can do

kfelgigiants
06-30-2013, 12:32 PM
How much playing time is he gonna get and how do u think he'll compare to the vets: Joseph, Jenkins, and Patterson?

GameTime
06-30-2013, 12:34 PM
How much playing time is he gonna get and how do u think he'll compare to the vets: Joseph, Jenkins, and Patterson?
Playing time??....cant even specutlate. Depends on his grasp of the system and perfomenace obvioulsy
Joseph is now a vet. Jenks and Patterson are stop gaps....

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 12:37 PM

Jenkins is a 3 tech, so he's not really comparable. Patterson and Joseph play Hank's position, both excel at stopping the run. I think Patterson is stronger than Joseph. I think Joseph is the best pass rusher of the three. Hank has the most upside.

kfelgigiants
06-30-2013, 12:49 PM
I agree. I think Hank is gonna make a big impact stopping the run, the more I watch tape on him the better I feel about him. His upper body is so strong and just handles o lineman with his chest and arm strength and tosses them aside at will. Hes still a kid too so hes gonna get stronger.

Buddy333
06-30-2013, 01:58 PM
The only knock on him seems to be he may have wore down at the end of games and that was because he played just about every snap at 320 pounds. He won't be playing that many snaps so problem solved.

wideright91
06-30-2013, 02:21 PM
I hope I'm wrong about him, but I did not like his college tape. He often commanded two blockers, but wasn't particularly disruptive; also showed some effort / conditioning concerns. Personally, I would've preferred John Jenkins a bit later - though I know he isn't really the prototype 4-3 DT. Still I think he's going to have a better career.

Again, hope I'm wrong!

TheEnigma
06-30-2013, 02:34 PM
I hope I'm wrong about him, but I did not like his college tape. He often commanded two blockers, but wasn't particularly disruptive; also showed some effort / conditioning concerns. Personally, I would've preferred John Jenkins a bit later - though I know he isn't really the prototype 4-3 DT. Still I think he's going to have a better career.

Again, hope I'm wrong!

Jenkins doesn't really offer as much as Hankins does in terms of a pass rushing ceiling. I question if the former is even a 3 down player in the NFL.

jomo
06-30-2013, 02:55 PM

Again, hope I'm wrong!The draft is such a crap shoot. Some guys answer the challenge at the next level and most do not. We'll know soon which camp Hankins falls into.

kfelgigiants
06-30-2013, 02:56 PM
I think he eats up double teams and creates plenty of disruption and that's one of his biggest upsides. He was constantly on the field and getting double teamed and even when he was tired he was effecting the outcome of the play. He slows down sideline to sideline of course throughout the game but when fresh he hustles downhill and pursues like an animal. Like Buddy333 said hes probably not gonna get a ton of snaps (and if he does that means his conditioning got better, which is hopefully the case regardless).

Captain Chaos
06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Watch tape on this kid, he just doesn't get pushed backwards and normally has a double team. Think he will do just fine and we'll be seeing him in the rotation more and more as the season continues.

penguinfarmer
06-30-2013, 04:57 PM
I just hope drafting Beef Hankins means Joseph isn't a priority free agent for them.

giantsfan420
06-30-2013, 06:57 PM
dunno if its been mentioned, but some of the "effort" concerns are unfounded. See, Hankins played about 30 snaps too much PER GAME lol (kinda hyperbole but I actually wouldnt be surprised if there were some games his snap count was wayyyyyyy too high). THe "effort" issues almost always and only showed up late in games, when Hankins was physically spent.

Further, Hankins is intriguing because for a guy his size, he moves remarkably well. OSU actually lined him up all over the DL at times. Hankins had some pressures even passrushing from the DE spot.

Once he is on a team where he can be used in a rotation, despite his snap numbers being reduced, I wouldn't be surprised if his overall statistical output rose. And, I can see him being used on any of the 4 downs (ST incuded, iirc he also led OSU with FG blocks could be off tho). He actually may end up being the best pick out of the draft, because the kid has Haloti Ngata upside imho. He'll need to of course train and get ready for NFL players, and of course elevate any elements of his game that need doing so, but he actually could end up being a nightmare for opposing OL's. He pretty much was early in games, and my thinking is the FO/JR believe we'll see a lot more of that guy when we use him in a rotation.