PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Position Review: Receivers

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 01:43 PM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6313

Excerpt: "Our weekend look at the units continues with the receivers.

The Candidates: Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Louis Murphy, Rueben Randle, Jerrel Jernigan, Ramses Barden, Kris Adams, Jeremy Horne, Brandon Collins, Kevin Hardy, Keith Carlos

Key Injuries: Nicks is recovering from knee surgery and could be limited early on in training camp. Jernigan fought through a hamstring issue in the spring, his status for camp unknown.

Battles to Watch: Spots one and two will be set with Nicks and Cruz, though it will be interesting to see just how much of Cruz’s snaps are given to Randle, whom offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said has earned the right to play, and will play on first and second down, as well as from the slot.

With Randle having made such progress, we’re curious to see how Murphy, a deep vertical threat, factors into the mix. Murphy, who signed as an unrestricted free agent, who’s looked as though he’s been working with quarterback Eli Manning for years, and who has done a nice job of stretching the field in the spring practices." Read more...

jomo
06-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Interesting to see what Randle can do from the slot. He is a big target and can catch the ball in traffic. We know that. I just don't know if he has that signature quickness that the top slot guys have. No matter what, this has a chance to be our finest WR group ever.

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Interesting to see what Randle can do from the slot. He is a big target and can catch the ball in traffic. We know that. I just don't know if he has that signature quickness that the top slot guys have. No matter what, this has a chance to be our finest WR group ever.

+1 I envision a lot of 3WR sets in our immediate future

Buddy333
06-30-2013, 02:56 PM
On paper they look great. Can't wait for the season to start.

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 03:30 PM
On paper they look great. Can't wait for the season to start.

Nicks and Cruz only look great on paper?

Buddy333
06-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Nicks and Cruz only look great on paper?Why only mention them? Is this about the WR's meaning all of them?

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Why only mention them? Is this about the WR's meaning all of them?

It is, but I suspect we can give Nicks and Cruz credit for past performance.

Buddy333
06-30-2013, 03:53 PM
It is, but I suspect we can give Nicks and Cruz credit for past performance.That goes without saying no?

GameTime
06-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Nicks....Cruz.....Randle.....and Murphy......

"should" be very good to great IMO

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 04:00 PM
That goes without saying no?

Around here? You jest :rolleyes:

penguinfarmer
06-30-2013, 04:07 PM
This will be the year Barden breaks out for the Iowa Barnstormers.

jomo
06-30-2013, 04:10 PM
This will be the year Barden breaks out for the Iowa Barnstormers.Let's not get carried away! :)

BigBlue1971
06-30-2013, 04:11 PM
a nice core of receivers to say the least especially Nicks, Cruz, Randle and Murphy.

it sounds as if they should take the pressure off each other.

JJ will be poised to break out throwing another wrench into opposing defenses.

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 04:12 PM

Just don't bet the farm.....:cool:

egyptian420
06-30-2013, 04:13 PM
Nicks....Cruz.....Randle.....and Murphy......

"should" be very good to great IMOthis

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 04:18 PM

Don't doubt RAMSES!

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Don't doubt RAMSES!

You can't help wonder about the past 4 years in terms having just a faint doubt about this season.

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
You can't help wonder about the past 4 years in terms having just a faint doubt about this season.

I don't think he will see the field. Although I would bring him in on a fade route endzone pattern just to see if it can become an effective weapon to improve our red zone efficiency. His height is the one thing that makes him standout, so I don't see why we shouldn't experiment a little. It's not like we are tearing it up in the redzone.

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
I don't think he will see the field. Although I would bring him in on a fade route endzone pattern just to see if it can become an effective weapon to improve our red zone efficiency. His height is the one thing that makes him standout, so I don't see why we shouldn't experiment a little. It's not like we are tearing it up in the redzone.

"fade" is an interesting choice of words; as in from the scene :p

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 04:39 PM
"fade" is an interesting choice of words; as in from the scene :p

LOL you know I like Barden, but that's some funny ish.

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 04:41 PM
LOL you know I like Barden, but that's some funny ish.

I'm just tweaking you a little. I hope anyone who can bring a play to the field gets to.

giantsfan420
06-30-2013, 08:34 PM
i remember making the claim the Giants coaching staff/fo would try to elevate other players to see if they could potentially see how the offense looks like sans cruz, in essence, cutting down the value cruz has to the team.
i get its a confusing, and hard to accept premise. some of the responses were "they will not jeopardize the result of a game just so they can reduce cruz's snaps" etc etc etc...well. i disagree. they wont jeopardize a game per se, but they absolutely will see how nicks and randle on the outside with Murphy in the slot will look. and, i dont think going to that trio set on certain formations is jeopardizing the outcome of a game either.
but that is but one way I think we could see the offense try and get a feel for just how much cruz means...we know he means a lot. but if we can get by, and having diff aspects step up, dont think the NYG would be opposed at all. In fact I think thats what we'll see they're looking to do throughout the season. If they believe the cruz contract issue is going to be there next offseason, why wouldnt they see if they have a solution on the team before it comes to that? it'd be bad business and one thing we know about the NYG, the past decade or so, bad business hasn't been an option.

appodictic
07-01-2013, 03:02 AM
The only bad thing here is that Nicks is still "limited". I still do not know what Nicks injury is besides "a knee" he hurt in tampa last year. I would have hoped he would come into this camp 100%. Does anyone actually know what Nicks' injury is called? and when it is supposed to be 100% healed?