PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Roster Breakdown: Eric Herman

RoanokeFan
06-30-2013, 03:07 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/6/30/4476114/new-york-giants-roster-breakdown-eric-herman

Excerpt: "Can Eric Herman show enough to crack the 53-man roster? The rookie guard certainly appears to have the nastiness.

Eric Herman (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/193993/eric-herman) was drafted by the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) in the seventh round this past April. Can he make the roster? We look at that today as we continue our player-by-player look at the 90-man roster the Giants will bring to training camp.

2012 Season In Review

Herman completed an impressive career at Ohio University by cementing his reputation as a player Ohio offensive line coach Kevin Lightner called "a pure brawler and masher'" with 131 pancake blocks. He finished his collegiate career with 335.5 pancakes. Herman was named to the All-MAC Team twice.

[Related: Herman A 'Tough, Nasty Brawler' (http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/5/2/4282956/2013-nfl-draft-eric-herman-new-yrok-giants-ohio-university)]" Read more...

jomo
06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
He possesses a quality (nastiness) that is in short supply along our OL especially among our depth. I'll be rooting for him.

Buddy333
06-30-2013, 03:11 PM
The nasty part sounds good as long as he can keep it clean. That is, no personal foul penalties.

jomo
06-30-2013, 03:14 PM
The nasty part sounds good as long as he can keep it clean. That is, no personal foul penalties.We are talking (or at least THEY are talking) pancake blocks which are clean and robust and send a message to the other team that we came to play. I am not worried about the dirty stuff. I am sure the officials and his coaches would have taken that out of his game years ago, if it was ever there in the first place..

We need tenacity and it sounds like he's got it.

Carter.525
06-30-2013, 03:14 PM
I think Herman Munster makes the team, he was a good value in the 7th.. He's a nasty S.O.B.

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 03:15 PM
This dude won't even be on the team next year. Petrus II

Buddy333
06-30-2013, 03:16 PM
We are talking (or at least THEY are talking) pancake blocks which are clean and robust and send a message to the other team that we came to play. I am not worried about the dirty stuff. I am sure the officials and his coaches would have taken that out of his game years ago, if it was ever there in the first place..We need tenacity and it sounds like he's got it.Think the 2008 OL was so good because they did have that nasty streak.

Buddy333
06-30-2013, 03:17 PM
This dude won't even be on the team next year. Petrus IIBased on what?

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Based on what?

Based on his scouting reports. I'm not going to pretend I was watching this guy in college. Severely limited in his pass coverage skills, but a mauler in the run game. It's not enough to be nasty. He needs to be able to pass protect and that's what he does the worst. I love the pick, but it is a 7th rd pick. I'm not really expecting much.

jomo
06-30-2013, 03:28 PM
This dude won't even be on the team next year. Petrus IIPetrus II has a bad ring to it. lol

jomo
06-30-2013, 03:29 PM
Based on his scouting reports. I'm not going to pretend I was watching this guy in college. Severely limited in his pass coverage skills, but a mauler in the run game. It's not enough to be nasty. He needs to be able to pass protect and that's what he does the worst. I love the pick, but it is a 7th rd pick. I'm not really expecting much.It is true that there are no one dimensional OL in this league. Hopefully his youth brings coachability and he's athletic enough to develop his pass protection.

Buddy333
06-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Based on his scouting reports. I'm not going to pretend I was watching this guy in college. Severely limited in his pass coverage skills, but a mauler in the run game. It's not enough to be nasty. He needs to be able to pass protect and that's what he does the worst. I love the pick, but it is a 7th rd pick. I'm not really expecting much.Maybe, but until he plays some professional football it's only fair to give him a look.

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 03:32 PM
Maybe, but until he plays some professional football it's only fair to give him a look.

I hope I'm loud and wrong, but I'll always call it like I see it. Wouldn't mind eating crow on this one at all.

Captain Chaos
06-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Would be nice to see this kid put things together, would like to think he has a shot at making the team. Can't wait to see him in the preseason games.

TCHOF
06-30-2013, 05:21 PM
We need more nasty.

If he cannot break our backup guard lineup, then he is not an NFL caliber player.

ironfox
06-30-2013, 09:11 PM
I get the feeling he might be competing for the last spot on the o-line with Cordle

jomo
06-30-2013, 09:27 PM
We need more nasty.

If he cannot break our backup guard lineup, then he is not an NFL caliber player.And even if he breaks our backup guard lineup he may still not be an NFL caliber player.

NorwoodBlue
07-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Ohio University and a seventh round pick? Some folks have this guy cracking the starting line-up; but I don't see the reason for all the hype. The guy played against weak competition in college, and the scouts on 32 teams didn't feel he was even worthy of a sixth round pick. This guy's a project, and a long shot to make the roster. Probably a practice squad player if he shows any upside in camp.

GameTime
07-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Based on his scouting reports. I'm not going to pretend I was watching this guy in college. Severely limited in his pass coverage skills, but a mauler in the run game. It's not enough to be nasty. He needs to be able to pass protect and that's what he does the worst. I love the pick, but it is a 7th rd pick. I'm not really expecting much.
well thats what the NFL coaches are supposed to do.......is to teach the kid the things he is lacking at......

Buddy333
07-01-2013, 09:47 AM
Honestly didn't see anyone over hyping him anyway. He is a late round pick from a weaker college conference. However, there are guys like that playing in the NFL and playing well. Some guys don't even get drafted and are playing in the NFL. He is a huge guy and the "pancake" thing is catchy. Do think anyone expects him to be starting anytime soon.

JesseJames
07-01-2013, 10:40 AM
it would be nice if this kid turned into a Rich Seubert redux....

GameTime
07-01-2013, 11:50 AM
it would be nice if this kid turned into a Rich Seubert redux....

that would be a very good thing...

If he is "brawler" then has some hope of becoming a good NFL OL.....

NorwoodBlue
07-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Honestly didn't see anyone over hyping him anyway. He is a late round pick from a weaker college conference. However, there are guys like that playing in the NFL and playing well. Some guys don't even get drafted and are playing in the NFL. He is a huge guy and the "pancake" thing is catchy. Do think anyone expects him to be starting anytime soon.

There have been posts on this board of guys thinking he's going to beat out Boothe, etc. Fairly typical of guys looking at our draft and thinking our low picks are worth a whole lot more than they really are. I've heard some of the same about our late round safety, Taylor I believe. People have him being the best thing since sliced bread in the nickel and dime packages. It would be nice if it happened, and it very occasionally does; but almost planning on it before the guy even goes to camp is just foolish. That's all I'm saying.