PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just have to say..........WTH.

FBomb
06-30-2013, 04:16 PM
http://www.giantexile.com/woman-arrested-in-hotel-jewelry-heist-of-ny-giants-defensive-tackle-shaun-rodgers/

Excerpt:

"Rodgers got hotel security to help open the safe and, according to the report, Rogers found “most of his valuables” missing. Rodgers claimed that missing was $100,000 diamond earrings, a $100,000 watch, a $60,000 watch, a $50,000 gold necklace, a $70,000 diamond Cuban necklace and three gold bracelets worth $60,000."

First of all, it's his money and he can spend it however he wants. It helps stimulate the economy......but not only is this a gross display of wealth....but stupidity as well. Why are you bringing that much flash to a hotel? You don't think you're a target for criminals walking around in that stuff while in a city FULL of criminals?

I'm glad they caught the thief and I hope this taught him a lesson.

End sermon.

BigBlue1971
06-30-2013, 04:33 PM
what did Rogers do hand out the combination or leave it wide open?

personally im skeptical of hotel safes even when they are locked.

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 04:38 PM

She was wanted for a string of robberies. She knows how to get in safes. She probably mickied his drink too.

EliDaMANning
06-30-2013, 04:45 PM
First thing that came into my mind was what the hell is Aaron Rodgers doing with all that bling?

NYGinIN666
06-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Is bringing that amount of jewelry ridiculous? Probably. But, I think it's kind of victim blaming too to call it stupid as well. I mean, in a sense, the logic of victim blaming creates a justification for the criminal. If I saw that amount of wealth laying around, you know what I'd do? Not touch it because it isn't mine. It's totally the fault of the thief.

NYGinIN666
06-30-2013, 05:01 PM

If it was a key code lock like a lot of hotel safes, apparently they're fairly easy to subvert given one knows how.

FBomb
06-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Is bringing that amount of jewelry ridiculous? Probably. But, I think it's kind of victim blaming too to call it stupid as well. I mean, in a sense, the logic of victim blaming creates a justification for the criminal. If I saw that amount of wealth laying around, you know what I'd do? Not touch it because it isn't mine. It's totally the fault of the thief.

What a brilliantly naive viewpoint you have of Miami. It's a cesspool of criminal actvity. He may as well have been wearing a sign that said "steal from me".

Putting yourself at unnecssary risk is part of the problem. So, yes....I am laying partial blame on the victim. Would you walk down a dark street that is known to be dangerous and not take responsibilty for you getting mugged or attacked? Of course that's your fault....you knew better.

NYGinIN666
06-30-2013, 07:55 PM
What a brilliantly naive viewpoint you have of Miami. It's a cesspool of criminal actvity. He may as well have been wearing a sign that said "steal from me".

Putting yourself at unnecssary risk is part of the problem. So, yes....I am laying partial blame on the victim. Would you walk down a dark street that is known to be dangerous and not take responsibilty for you getting mugged or attacked? Of course that's your fault....you knew better.

I'm not so much disagreeing with you dude. I'm just referring to this as defined by wiki here:

"Victim blaming occurs when the victim(s) of a crime (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime), or any wrongful act are held entirely or partially responsible for the transgressions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_transgression) committed against them (regardless of whether the victim actually had any responsibility for the incident). People familiar with victimology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victimology) are much less likely to see the victim as responsible..."

Whether or not you disagree with the definition is another thing

FBomb
06-30-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm not so much disagreeing with you dude. I'm just referring to this as defined by wiki here:

"Victim blaming occurs when the victim(s) of a crime (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime), or any wrongful act are held entirely or partially responsible for the transgressions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_transgression) committed against them (regardless of whether the victim actually had any responsibility for the incident). People familiar with victimology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victimology) are much less likely to see the victim as responsible..."

I pretty much.....no....I CLEARLY stated I am partially blaming the victim in this case for not using common sense. Your wiki definition was pointless.

B&RWarrior
06-30-2013, 08:21 PM
I pretty much.....no....I CLEARLY stated I am partially blaming the victim in this case for not using common sense. Your wiki definition was pointless.

IDK his jewelry was in a safe. He didn't leave it unprotected or laying on the kitchen counter. If she brakes the safe then it just wasn't your day.

FBomb
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM
IDK his jewelry was in a safe. He didn't leave it unprotected or laying on the kitchen counter. If she brakes the safe then it just wasn't your day.

No "in room" hotel safe is secure. Otherwise they wouldn't post a sign that says the hotel isn't responsib;e for lost or stolen items. You leave that much value in the hotel safe or safety deposit box. Chances are it was an upper class hotel and they have these things. Walking around a city with that kind of flash and you don't take the extra steps to secure it.....you're asking for trouble.

Delicreep
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM
http://www.giantexile.com/woman-arrested-in-hotel-jewelry-heist-of-ny-giants-defensive-tackle-shaun-rodgers/

Excerpt:

"Rodgers got hotel security to help open the safe and, according to the report, Rogers found “most of his valuables” missing. Rodgers claimed that missing was $100,000 diamond earrings, a $100,000 watch, a $60,000 watch, a $50,000 gold necklace, a $70,000 diamond Cuban necklace and three gold bracelets worth $60,000."

First of all, it's his money and he can spend it however he wants. It helps stimulate the economy......but not only is this a gross display of wealth....but stupidity as well. Why are you bringing that much flash to a hotel? You don't think you're a target for criminals walking around in that stuff while in a city FULL of criminals?

I'm glad they caught the thief and I hope this taught him a lesson.

End sermon.

I always have a sliding scale of sympathy for people who are the victim of property crimes.

He's not getting a whole lot from me.
Glad he got his stuff back, but perhaps next time he could try it without the "rob me" signs...metaphorically speaking.

giantscolombia
07-01-2013, 09:13 AM

hahaha you're using Wikipedia to argue a point!?!?

lol

Kruunch
07-01-2013, 09:39 AM
He could have fed the children of Africa for a year on that.

Or Sally Struthers for a day.

NYGinIN666
07-01-2013, 12:41 PM
hahaha you're using Wikipedia to argue a point!?!?

lol

No, I used it for a definition because it isn't a commonly used term and isn't found in most dictionaries. The definition was from a research paper from the mid 90s about the psychology of victimhood.

GameTime
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
he had half a million dollars worth of jewlery and entrusted to a hotel room safe??
The guy is an idiot for doing that....plain and simple.....

giantscolombia
07-01-2013, 01:16 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT421N9r2m2bfQsp8M2HpR9ChSx7J44K FZOf6z7OpDcDOjWi8uOha7hstkO

Providence
07-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Well said. Victim blaming absolutely creates a justification for the offender. Shaun Rodgers wasn't being smart about his wealth at all, but it doesn't mean he deserved to be victimized.

GameTime
07-01-2013, 03:17 PM
it wasn't "lying" around. It was in a safe. You are inviting trouble with 1/2 a mil of jewelry in your possession in a hotel. The theif is to blame for sure but you cant steal what isnt there. He should have left it home. He's dumb IMO.....

FBomb
07-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Well said. Victim blaming absolutely creates a justification for the offender. Shaun Rodgers wasn't being smart about his wealth at all, but it doesn't mean he deserved to be victimized.

Right...because that's what I said. You seem to read what you want to lately. Are you going to give me another misplaced sermon on mesaage board etiquette?

Never said he deserved it....I said he was stupid. And I was right.

Providence
07-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Right...because that's what I said. You seem to read what you want to lately. Are you going to give me another misplaced sermon on mesaage board etiquette?

Never said he deserved it....I said he was stupid. And I was right.

I was merely supporting NYGinIN666's claim that he was seeing some victim blaming in this thread. I too am seeing that and wanted to voice my opinion on the matter. My response wasn't necessarily about you and your claims.

With all that said, reading what you have written about the incident, it does indeed seem as if you thought Rodgers, at least partially, deserved to be robbed, even if you didn't actually use the word "deserved." Saying something like "He may as well had a sign that said rob me" lead me to such a conclusion (although there were other quotes that indicated similar sentiments). That's just my take on what I have read. Surely I could be wrong. By all means feel free to clarify your position on the matter.

TCHOF
07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
I was merely supporting NYGinIN666's claim that he was seeing some victim blaming in this thread. I too am seeing that and wanted to voice my opinion on the matter. My response wasn't necessarily about you and your claims.

With all that said, reading what you have written about the incident, it does indeed seem as if you thought Rodgers, at least partially, deserved to be robbed, even if you didn't actually use the word "deserved." Saying something like "He may as well had a sign that said rob me" lead me to such a conclusion (although there were other quotes that indicated similar sentiments). That's just my take on what I have read. Surely I could be wrong. By all means feel free to clarify your position on the matter.

If I may . . . .

A person walking through a bad neighborhood at night with $100 bills hanging out of his pocket does not "deserve" to be robbed. No one deserves to be robbed.

That being said, walking through a bad neighborhood at night with $100 bills hanging out of your pocket is a dumb thing to do.

I think that FBomb was just pointing out the latter sentiment . . . . and not saying that the guy deserved to be robbed.

FBomb
07-01-2013, 10:00 PM
If I may . . . .

A person walking through a bad neighborhood at night with $100 bills hanging out of his pocket does not "deserve" to be robbed. No one deserves to be robbed.

That being said, walking through a bad neighborhood at night with $100 bills hanging out of your pocket is a dumb thing to do.

I think that FBomb was just pointing out the latter sentiment . . . . and not saying that the guy deserved to be robbed.

Thanks for the help.....but he knows this already. He's just being a contrarian. It clearly states in my original post that I found his actions to be stupid. P is only pretending to be thick.

FBomb
07-01-2013, 10:08 PM

He's flashing several hundred thousand dollars worth of bling in a city that is crawling with criminals. Stupid. He kept them in a hotel room safe that isn't guaranteed by the hotel instead ofthe hotel safe or safe deposit box.....which is recommended for such expesive possessions. Stupid. He let strangers into his hotel room with that much bling around. Stupid.....

I'm seeing a pattern here......you?

Providence
07-01-2013, 10:27 PM
If I may . . . .

He's flashing several hundred thousand dollars worth of bling in a city that is crawling with criminals. Stupid. He kept them in a hotel room safe that isn't guaranteed by the hotel instead ofthe hotel safe or safe deposit box.....which is recommended for such expesive possessions. Stupid. He let strangers into his hotel room with that much bling around. Stupid.....

I'm seeing a pattern here......you?

Thank you TCHOF, however F_bomb was indeed correct, or semi correct, shall I say. I did read that he was saying that Rodgers was stupid and that he wasn't saying specifically that he "deserved it." Where F_bomb was incorrect was that I was being contrarian and pretending to be thick. My claim that F_bomb partially does believe Rodgers deserved it came from my interpretation of his comments in this thread. While F_bomb did not say he deserved to be robbed I did indeed believe that F_bomb, at least in part, believed it nonetheless, but was hesitant to admit it. I certainly can't prove this in any way, but the tone of his responses in this thread gave me that impression. F_bomb has now clearly stated that he does not think Rodgers deserved it in any way, shape or form. I'll take the man at his word and admit my wrong assumption. While I don't think it shocking that I arrived at this conclusion, as the line between victim blaming and assignment of punishment gets very blurry, I do apologize.

Additionally, I agree that Rodgers was very foolish with his wealth in this situation. I wouldn't trust a hotel safe with my laptop. Moreover, associating with this woman seemed like poor judgement too. With that said, not everyone was raised the same way I was and so to expect him to treat $400,000 of jewelry like I would treat $400,000 of jewelry, or to expect him to choose his associates as I would choose my associates, is irrelevant.