PDA

View Full Version : A.Robinson as FB?

giantsfan420
07-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Ok, hear me out. Not full time, just until Hyno returns.

1-He's raw. He's still being developed. While the argument could fairly be made, "training him as a FB could set him back as a TE", but, he'd get more detailed instruction on blocking/footwork aspects that he could bring over to TE.

2-At 6'4, 265 some could argue he's oversized to be a FB. Well, for comparisons sake, V.Leach is 6'0 and 260. While Robinson may face initial issues with not being able to get leverage/low on defenders, I don't know why he'd be unable to correct and be good at it but a guy like Bear Pascoe (6'5 283!!) can manage to do it to the point we've started him at FB, why couldn't Robinson?

3-He has much much MUCH more athleticism, speed, quickness than Bear Pascoe. Not to pick on Bear bc he's been a model Giant, done what's asked of him, but Robinson ran a crazy 40 time, 4.5 or something IIRC, and JR dubbed him the JPP of TE's...

4-Bear is a solid #2 TE, ARobinson probably would be too. But he's got the talent that warrants actual targets, something I'd assume he'd have to line up as the #1 TE for. We have Myers (who we've tried at FB as well) currently getting those snaps.

5- We know the coaches/JR want the best athletes on the field. they made Kiwi a LB so they could get him on the field. If Robinson has the athleticism touted, maybe we can get him on the field as a FB...

6-In my opinion, players get better by playing on the field during games. Robinson may progress at practices, but he could be the best practice player all time and if it doesnt translate to the field it means nothing. Lets see if we can prep him to the point he can fill in at FB, bc ultimately, that will help him in the long run as a TE...imho...

myles2424
07-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Most crappy threads start off with "ok hear me out"....lol

giantsfan420
07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
lol. ur right.
it may be a crappy idea. i just like the thought of him being a weapon out of the backfield. could see LB's getting lost tryin to cover him runnin routes from back there...just dunno how he'd be as a lead blocker etc bc he is so raw

GameTime
07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
they have Myers learning too.

MustWarnOthers
07-01-2013, 06:28 PM
If you take the J.P.P of Tight Ends and try to make him into the Henry Hynoski of Fullbacks, you're going to end up with a confused player who is now the David Carr of sitting on the bench.

giantsfan420
07-01-2013, 06:37 PM
valid point MWO.

I just think he can actually take traits crafted while at FB and apply them for when he goes back to TE. I'm not saying make him a fulltime FB, just the FB until Hyno returns...that way we dont need to sign Leach.

penguinfarmer
07-01-2013, 06:38 PM
No

giantsfan420
07-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Yes

DarkSaint
07-01-2013, 06:46 PM
I think it is a good idea, big body who can block and get open for short gain. Good redzone threat too. Either buy Eli time for other weapons to get open or be used for easy short gain. Guy can be a monster this way, too bad our oc has to battle senility in order to maintain a grip on proper playcalling

Sean Montemayor
07-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Ok, hear me out. Not full time, just until Hyno returns.1-He's raw. He's still being developed. While the argument could fairly be made, "training him as a FB could set him back as a TE", but, he'd get more detailed instruction on blocking/footwork aspects that he could bring over to TE.2-At 6'4, 265 some could argue he's oversized to be a FB. Well, for comparisons sake, V.Leach is 6'0 and 260. While Robinson may face initial issues with not being able to get leverage/low on defenders, I don't know why he'd be unable to correct and be good at it but a guy like Bear Pascoe (6'5 283!!) can manage to do it to the point we've started him at FB, why couldn't Robinson?3-He has much much MUCH more athleticism, speed, quickness than Bear Pascoe. Not to pick on Bear bc he's been a model Giant, done what's asked of him, but Robinson ran a crazy 40 time, 4.5 or something IIRC, and JR dubbed him the JPP of TE's...4-Bear is a solid #2 TE, ARobinson probably would be too. But he's got the talent that warrants actual targets, something I'd assume he'd have to line up as the #1 TE for. We have Myers (who we've tried at FB as well) currently getting those snaps.5- We know the coaches/JR want the best athletes on the field. they made Kiwi a LB so they could get him on the field. If Robinson has the athleticism touted, maybe we can get him on the field as a FB...6-In my opinion, players get better by playing on the field during games. Robinson may progress at practices, but he could be the best practice player all time and if it doesnt translate to the field it means nothing. Lets see if we can prep him to the point he can fill in at FB, bc ultimately, that will help him in the long run as a TE...imho...KABOOM!!! Great idea!!! Interesting, but somehow, I kind of still like this idea. Haha.

TCHOF
07-01-2013, 08:05 PM
How about we let him learn to play TE first before we switch him to a completely new position?

penguinfarmer
07-01-2013, 08:08 PM
I still don't understand the desire of trying to get the FB integrated into the passing game other than novelty. We just had a failed halfback receiver in Beckum.

And there is a big difference between blocking from an inline position and from either the full or wingback positions. If Robinson is indeed the superior athlete than Bear, then keep him at TE and Pascoe at FB.

Imgrate
07-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Too tall

jomo
07-01-2013, 08:20 PM
He's not oversized, he's too tall to get the necessary leverage as a lead blocker IMO.
At TE a lot of blocking has to do with standing up technique, sealing an edge, riding a LB or DE outside in pass protection etc.
A FB is called upon primarily to often get under the opponent's center of gravity. At his height that's not going to happen.

Bear is 6'5" and he is not a good FB. He is just a place setter who is very experienced and will make the proper read and blow few if any assignments as compared with the raw Robinson. Just my opinion.........

giantsfan420
07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
How about we let him learn to play TE first before we switch him to a completely new position?the only reason why i didnt like the idea...but imo, theres more to like than not like.

and thanks DarkSaint and Sean.

giantsfan420
07-01-2013, 08:24 PM
He's not oversized, he's too tall to get the necessary leverage as a lead blocker IMO.
At TE a lot of blocking has to do with standing up technique, sealing an edge, riding a LB or DE outside in pass protection etc.
A FB is called upon primarily to often get under the opponent's center of gravity. At his height that's not going to happen.

Bear is 6'5" and he is not a good FB. He is just a place setter who is very experienced and will make the proper read and blow few if any assignments as compared with the raw Robinson. Just my opinion.........you make good points. i agree. but, I also believe that if we can play Bear there, A.Robinson should be able to handle it as well. And I'd rather A.Robinson on the field then Bear just bc I feel ARobinson is the better athlete and soon, the better football player.

RoanokeFan
07-01-2013, 08:25 PM

Bear is 6'5" and he is not a good FB. He is just a place setter who is very experienced and will make the proper read and blow few if any assignments as compared with the raw Robinson. Just my opinion.........

+1

penguinfarmer
07-01-2013, 08:34 PM
The fullback is of the least positional value on the offense. Plenty of teams don't even use one. Putting your TE there voluntarily is essentially downgrading him. That fundamental alone makes it more to dislike than like. And you don't use a fourth round pick on a transitional/project FB.

RoanokeFan
07-01-2013, 08:36 PM
The fullback is of the least positional value on the offense. Plenty of teams don't even use one. Putting your TE there voluntarily is essentially downgrading him. That fundamental alone makes it more to dislike than like. And you don't use a fourth round pick on a transitional/project FB.

But here a fullback is an integral part of the offense and Pascoe has credibly played the position before

penguinfarmer
07-01-2013, 08:37 PM
But here a fullback is an integral part of the offense and Pascoe has credibly played the position before

So is the TE position. A marginal TE would be more impactful than a project FB.

RoanokeFan
07-01-2013, 08:49 PM
So is the TE position. A marginal TE would be more impactful than a project FB.

Pascoe did a credible job when he filled in for Hedge****. He knows the playbook at both positions and his role will hoipefully be temporary. We have other tight ends, but no other fullbacks.

penguinfarmer
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm not talking about Pascoe. I'm talking about Adrien Robinson.

RoanokeFan
07-01-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm not talking about Pascoe. I'm talking about Adrien Robinson.

Robinson will get more snaps at TE than he would have with Pascoe at FB

penguinfarmer
07-01-2013, 09:03 PM
Ok. The premise of the thread is voluntarily moving Robinson to FB instead of Pascoe as if it has more upside than the reverse. It doesn't.

giantsfan420
07-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Well no, it isn't voluntarily. Hyno's hurt. My premise is, if your going to plug Bear in as FB, why not try and see if A.Robinson can hold the fort down instead because he's faster, more athletic, and imo, would be more of a threat to the defense. I dont want him to be a FB permanently. My thought was, he could take some of the lessons he learns as a FB and apply them to when he moves back as the #2 TE bc he's going to be blocking in either role. But a couple posters astutely pointed out that both positions require diff blocking techniques, but I dont know how it'd hurt for ARobinson to be able to do both.

Its also a further contention that ARobinson would make more of an impact as the FB until hyno gets back, than as the second TE while Bear plays FB....I just want the most athletic guys out there, and A Robinson is way more athletic, faster, quicker, etc al than Bear except Bear has a huge one up on Robinson, football instincts and knowledge of the playbook.

GameTime
07-01-2013, 09:29 PM
pretty amazing the convesation that goes on about a situation that isnt ever going to happen......:cool:

penguinfarmer
07-01-2013, 09:33 PM
It's not about whether or not Robinson can play fullback. But let's say these coaching reports [since that is all we have on Robinson] are accurate in that he is a physically gifted player, then it would behoove the Giants to put him at TE where it would be better utilized on any given down than the FB position which is a priority blocking role.

Everything reported by the Giants are that they are using Robinson as an inline TE which is becoming increasingly harder to find. Even a halfback or wingback role is different than the fullback, but if you're looking to extract production on receiving, it makes more sense for the Giants to utilize a third receiver which they do have.

giantsfan420
07-01-2013, 09:35 PM
good points penguin farmer, well explained. just an idea i was throwing out, not like im going on a hunger strike until the giants pencil him in as the FB lol

BigBlue1971
07-01-2013, 10:08 PM
the more positions a player can play the better.

I suspect the Giants already lead the league in tight end/fullback position players.

Pascoe can already do it so can Myers to an extent. why not teach Robinson the plays as well.

make it as difficult as possible for opposing defenses.
l

Roosevelt
07-01-2013, 10:22 PM
pretty amazing the convesation that goes on about a situation that isnt ever going to happen......:cool:

Great point GT. I'd like to buy you a Cadillac (if you don't mind) for your response.

Captain Chaos
07-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Let the kid learn how to play his TE position first....

B-Red22
07-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Wow...

RoanokeFan
07-02-2013, 10:30 AM
the more positions a player can play the better.

I suspect the Giants already lead the league in tight end/fullback position players.

Pascoe can already do it so can Myers to an extent. why not teach Robinson the plays as well.

make it as difficult as possible for opposing defenses.
l

I don't disagree but you have to be able to actually "play" both positions to be switched from one to the other. At this moment in time, that's Pascoe.