PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker vs. Victor Cruz: Who Is The Best Slot Receiver?

RoanokeFan
07-02-2013, 09:46 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/7/2/4481660/victor-cruz-new-york-giants-wes-welker-denver-broncos-slot-receiver

Excerpt: "Bucky Brooks of NFL.com recently did a breakdown (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212666/article/wes-welker-vs-victor-cruz-which-slot-receiver-is-tops-in-nfl) of Wes Welker (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2545/wes-welker)and Victor Cruz (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/109584/victor-cruz) to try and determine who is the best slot receiver in the NFL. After studying all of the skills they display Brooks determined that Cruz is the best slot receiver in the league. I decided to look at all of the same points and give my point of view on this discussion.

Brooks felt both men were equally good route runners. Welker is very deceptive while Cruz relies more on his speed to get to where Eli Manning (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2235/eli-manning) is targeting him. Welker uses a variety of head fakes and stutter-steps more than Cruz, but both produce the results that are expected of them. When it comes to ball control Welker is better at catching the ball in traffic while Cruz is better in the air.

Cruz is more explosive once he has the ball. Cruz explodes before the ball is even in his hands and once he has it he takes it up another notch. Both players have also proven to be clutch in big situations which have led to championships. For years Welker has been on of the best third down receivers in the game and Cruz has shown in just his first two seasons that he can be one of the more clutch receivers in the league." Read more...

EliDaMANning
07-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Slot receiver is being thrown around too much these days. I don't even consider it a compliment. Cruz is the better receiver because he can play the slot and outside.

RoanokeFan
07-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I think Cruz is more unique than Welker but the answer to the question won't really be known for a few years.

NYGabriel
07-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Welker did zip in 3 years at Miami. He obviously has a great deal of talent but he was helped massively by new England's system. He guarantees over a thousand yards and 6 td's a year and the pats gave Danny Amendola a better contract offer. Cruz is the more talented and could fit more systems better.

TheAnalyst
07-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Cruz explodes before the ball is even in his hands

which is probably why he had the dropsies last year

Both players have also proven to be clutch in big situations which have led to championships.

Welker won a champioship?

I will add both have had 99 yard TD receptions by a multiple Superbowl MVP, future HOF QB.

GameTime
Welker did zip in 3 years at Miami. He obviously has a great deal of talent but he was helped massively by new England's system. He guarantees over a thousand yards and 6 td's a year and the pats gave Danny Amendola a better contract offer. Cruz is the more talented and could fit more systems better.
you dont really know that unless you see CRuz in a dif system....

Rudyy
It's an unfair question, Welker has been in the league longer than Cruz, so his numbers are obviously much better. Also, he's much older, while Cruz is in his prime. You can't go wrong with either one.

RoanokeFan
07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
It's an unfair question, Welker has been in the league longer than Cruz, so his numbers are obviously much better. Also, he's much older, while Cruz is in his prime. You can't go wrong with either one.

Talk about playing the field lol

dezzzR
07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Didnt we talk about this already?

Rudyy
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Didnt we talk about this already?Yes

RoanokeFan
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Yes, but we are discussing it again it seems.

BigBlue1971
07-02-2013, 12:44 PM
obviously Cruz is younger and is an earlier breakout than Welker was. Welkers 1st 3-4 years he did nothing in the league.

Cruz imo is better now and in the end will be better than Welker.

Eliscruzzz
07-02-2013, 02:23 PM
This is an easy question it's definitely Welker.

When I think of slot receiver I think catching 100-120 passes. Around 1200-1400 yards. and consistently moving the chains on 3rd down. There is no one better then Welker at doing that.

It's still early for Cruz and he has bigger play ability going across the middle. He has the potential to be better but you have to give it to Welker and I hate saying that.

FishinTheSalt
07-02-2013, 03:07 PM
I really don't care who's better, both are great players. I'm just happy a player on our team is one of the two in the argument of best in the league. Now lets make sure he retires in giants blue.

BigBlueAllDay
07-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Wes Welker is 32 years old with 9 NFL seasons in the books. Victor Cruz is 26 years old with 3 NFL seasons in the books. Victor Cruz is gonna have the advantage at the present time just with his youth, but comparing new to old is hardly substantial anyway.

IamGiantsfan
07-02-2013, 09:14 PM
This message board is a constant cycle of the same topics again and again with different names =P Now It's eli Manning, in a few years its bobby smith or whatever.

It's kind of depressing

Rudyy
07-02-2013, 09:17 PM
This message board is a constant cycle of the same topics again and again with different names =P Now It's eli Manning, in a few years its bobby smith or whatever.It's kind of depressingLol Bobby Smith.

GCGiant
07-03-2013, 06:26 AM
They could both be nobody's right now if not for catching a break and getting with a system that is condusive to people getting open and QB's with a knack for finding the open guy. People don't seem to realize this and Cruz is walking on thin ice. I don't want to see him go, but somewhere in the back of my head I'm saying, "Go ahead...test the waters, Steve, uh.....I mean...Victor."

Joe Morrison
07-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Peyton to Welker, Eli to Cruz, both are going to have huge years.

Joe Morrison
07-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Peyton to Welker, Eli to Cruz, let the games begin, head to head at Met Life, awesome

miked1958
07-10-2013, 10:13 AM
It's an unfair question, Welker has been in the league longer than Cruz, so his numbers are obviously much better. Also, he's much older, while Cruz is in his prime. You can't go wrong with either one.yea.. I would think Cruz would have the advantage If you compare them first couple years in the league.. Welker had it as far as being consistent for a long period career wise. Weather Cruz can stay healthy and continue to put up numbers year in year out like Welker has done remains to be seen.

miked1958
07-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Cruz does have one advantage.. I think he can turn more short yardage catches into Long TDs then Welker can

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 10:21 AM

Welker had five different QBs throwing to him in two years in Miami (he didn't play a game in 2004) and he still managed 96 receptions in two years (2005, 2006). In fact, the reason the Patriots traded for him was that they couldn't cover him. And mind you, that was in his first three years in the league (3 years being the accepted time for a receiver to develop naturally in a sound system). Welker would be a great receiver in any system.

Having said that, while I think Welker is more dependable than Cruz in terms of possession (he has less drops than Cruz), Cruz is a home run threat and Welker isn't. Since both of their production value is very high, I would probably lean towards Cruz, were I picking a team from scratch for one year. Having said that, Cruz still has a long way to go in his career.

zimonami
07-10-2013, 10:33 AM
This assessment is right on. He says, "Cruz is more explosive once he has the ball. Cruz explodes before the ball is even in his hands and once he has it he takes it up another notch." Watch him. When he turns and sees the ball he is instantly shifting his weight to his plant foot, ready to push off the split second he grabs it. Occasionally he'll move his hands too soon towards where he's heading, and he'll miss it behind him. When Welker turns and sees the ball he remains balanced, unmoving, and then plants and shifts his weight after he has it. That one second in being faster in moving upfield, for Cruz, means missed tackles and extra yards. I've never seen anyone better at it.
Cruz has hair trigger reflexes

Roosevelt
07-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Cruz is the better player right now. He's the more explosive player.

Flip Empty
07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
I see Welker as being more reliable (outside of the playoffs, at least) but Cruz has a far higher ceiling.

Ruttiger711
07-10-2013, 12:00 PM
As Giant fans we can only hope Cruz has the kind of career Welker has had already. Welker is the best slot receiver but Cruz could be the best.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 12:17 PM
As Giant fans we can only hope Cruz has the kind of career Welker has had already. Welker is the best slot receiver but Cruz could be the best.

+1

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 01:04 PM

I'd be just fine with Cruz never dropping a Super Bowl winning pass thank you very much.

Ruttiger711
07-10-2013, 01:15 PM
I'd be just fine with Cruz never dropping a Super Bowl winning pass thank you very much.

Good pass in your opinion? I thought it could have been way better but still suprised Welker didnt catch that.

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Good pass in your opinion? I thought it could have been way better but still suprised Welker didnt catch that.

Good enough that it should have been caught ... especially by a guy like Welker.

P.S. - Had Brady thrown that on the money, it would have been intercepted by Phillips who was crossing on it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d826acc09/Welker-drops-ball-in-space

GameTime
07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
tough makeable catch with a poorly positioned pass.......