PDA

View Full Version : The comparison of JPP to Javon Kearse:

TheAnalyst
07-02-2013, 11:36 AM
I remember everyone comparing these 2 when we drafted JPP back in 2010, and rightfully so. Both are/were big ridiculous athletic freaks.

I wanted to see how Kearse did through out his career compared to JPP in his forst 3 years.

Kearse first 3 seasons:
48 games
145 tackles
36 sacks
13 FFs

JPP first 3 seasons:
48 games
182 tackles
27.5 sacks
5 FFs

After that, Kearse only had 1 season of his last 8 where he played a full season and his numbers dropped dramatically. He was averaging .75 sacks a game and 3.02 tackles a game in his first 3 years, to .44 sacks a game and 1.97 tackles a game in his final 8 years, only playing in 66% of the games in those years.

Do you guys think that this could be the road that JPP is on? He already needed the surgery this offseason and last year he really didnt look like he had the same type of physical domination as in the year past. This is the year that Kearse really started to decline from his freakness.

Should we be concerned?

nhpgiantsfan
07-02-2013, 11:43 AM
One major difference. Kearse was a full time starter his rookie season, where JPP didn't start at all, and saw very limited action.

TheAnalyst
07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
I agree that JPP would of had better numbers had he started all of 2010. But what do you think about his future? There is only so much a body can take, and his body size puts a lot of stress on him overall. Thats what I think happened to Kearse.

Guess no one thinks JPP is headed down the same road? His back surgery scares me a bit.

GameTime
07-02-2013, 02:30 PM
nah....two dif people. No way to tell. No reason not to think he can be a very good DE for years to come.

BTW.....I remember a pic of Kearse holding a 12 inch ruler betwen his thumb and middle finger stretched from one end to the other.....wow...

Kruunch
07-02-2013, 02:34 PM
No reason not to think he can be a very good DE for years to come.

How many elite DEs have remained elite after back surgery?

I'm hopeful, but I think there is a definite reason for worry there until JPP proves otherwise. Either way, it's a wait and see situation.

TheAnalyst
07-02-2013, 02:39 PM
How many elite DEs have remained elite after back surgery?

I'm hopeful, but I think there is a definite reason for worry there until JPP proves otherwise. Either way, it's a wait and see situation.

Exactly. It was like Tuck pre shoulder injury and post shoulder injury. Completely different players. Lost the animal aggressiveness and dominance. JPP last year reminded me of Tuck in 2009. Just didnt seem all there. It actually shocked me because I thought he could be the type of player to get 20 sacks.

myles2424
07-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I used to play opposite end of Kearse's nephew & that freakish-ness ran throughout that family...
Had big upside, but was murdered before he was able to set it off in college

joemorrisforprez
07-02-2013, 08:28 PM
I agree that JPP would of had better numbers had he started all of 2010. But what do you think about his future? There is only so much a body can take, and his body size puts a lot of stress on him overall. Thats what I think happened to Kearse.

Guess no one thinks JPP is headed down the same road? His back surgery scares me a bit.

Me too....a back injury is a serious deal.