PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mundy On Giants' Secondary: No One Is Dwelling On Last Year

RoanokeFan
07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2013/07/02/ryan-mundy-on-new-york-giants-secondary-no-one-is-dwelling-on-last-year/

Excerpt: "Safety Ryan Mundy (http://www.giants101.com/tag/ryan-mundy/) may be new to the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants, but it didn't take him long to understand that 2012 was considered a failure for the Big Blue secondary. Injuries, inconsistency, confusion and miscommunication dominated them a season ago and he now finds himself firmly in the mix. And while he may not have been a part of it himself, the general feeling in the meeting room is that what's done is done and there's no sense in dwelling on it.

"We're focused on just doing our job. In football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/) there are going to be mistakes and bad plays, but it's about how you respond to those mistakes and bad plays and regain your focus," Mundy told The Star-Ledger during a summer questionnaire (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/07/giants_summer_questionnaire_ryan_mundy.html). "We're not dwelling on last year, but we are learning from last year. That's a big difference in helping us shape our focus for this year and understand what we need to get better on and how we need to perform. And I think we've done a good job of that throughout these OTAs and minicamp. And hopefully it will carry over into training camp." Read more...

giantsfan420
07-02-2013, 11:55 AM
so far, i've really felt mundy has been a solid addition. know its kinda incomplete (the results) bc the season hasnt started, but i've liked his mentality and workman like approach. seems to understand how to be successful from his years in the league.

gumby74
07-02-2013, 11:58 AM
They need to forget about 2011 also. they were atrocious then also.

Buddy333
07-02-2013, 03:36 PM
The offense better break records this year.

JesseJames
07-02-2013, 05:08 PM
2 years in a row we've had a secondary who don't seem to know what their responsibilities are on a given play and run around looking lost and pointing fingers at each other. Is our defense too complicated for them to remember what they are supposed to do, these coaches see these guys on the field and they have to know who knows the plays and who don't. I just hope that this year every one finally gets it..

Buddy333
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
The only guy in the secondary that seems to be a guarantee is Prince.

FishinTheSalt
07-02-2013, 05:52 PM
2 years in a row we've had a secondary who don't seem to know what their responsibilities are on a given play and run around looking lost and pointing fingers at each other. Is our defense too complicated for them to remember what they are supposed to do, these coaches see these guys on the field and they have to know who knows the plays and who don't. I just hope that this year every one finally gets it..

You would think they would figure it out during the season and not need the offseason to figure this out.

brad
07-02-2013, 06:01 PM

Simplifying the defense, especially the secondary responsibilities did wonders for them in 2011... but they went back to what didn't work after the SB. I think it is pretty clear that the defense is too complicated, leading to players thinking about what they should be doing rather than doing it instinctively. Sometimes, rather than outsmarting your opponent, you outsmart yourself.

joemorrisforprez
07-02-2013, 07:24 PM

They really need to get more agressive in the secondary. Webster is so much better in press coverage.

giantsfam04
07-03-2013, 04:31 AM
They really need to get more agressive in the secondary. Webster is so much better in press coverage.

Excellent point, I don't understand why they play off so much. Prince is also an excellent press guy, Perry needs to play to the strength of his unit.

speedman
07-03-2013, 08:03 AM
2 years in a row we've had a secondary who don't seem to know what their responsibilities are on a given play and run around looking lost and pointing fingers at each other. Is our defense too complicated for them to remember what they are supposed to do, these coaches see these guys on the field and they have to know who knows the plays and who don't. I just hope that this year every one finally gets it..It has to be the scheme. Since Fewell's been here they look like a Chinese fire drill running around out there.

Buddy333
07-03-2013, 08:07 AM
If its the coach why do they look great one week and horrible the next? Maybe they just match up better against the good offensive teams? Or is it that the players are as inconsistent as the rest of the team?

speedman
07-03-2013, 08:22 AM
If its the coach why do they look great one week and horrible the next? Maybe they just match up better against the good offensive teams? Or is it that the players are as inconsistent as the rest of the team?When the defense looks good they're usually playing aggressive. When they look bad they're playing back and can't get off the field.