PDA

View Full Version : NY Giants: Can David Wilson & Andre Brown Reproduce "Thunder and Lightning"?

RoanokeFan
07-02-2013, 04:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/york-giants-david-wilson-andre-brown-reproduce-thunder-181400064.html

Excerpt: "COMMENTARY |

David Wilson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/25742) and Andre Brown (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/9393) will compete in training camp to be the New York Giants (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/nyg)' lead running back this season, but does it really matter who wins the starting job? Most likely, Wilson and Brown will share carries, like Big Blue running back combos before them.

I don't see it working any other way.

Wilson and Brown have 146 pro carries between them, so they're both unproven despite solid campaigns last year. Furthermore, the two of them have complementary running styles. Brown, who rushed for a team-high eight touchdowns in 2012, is built to run between the tackles. The burly back is ideal for short-yardage situations and getting the ball on the goal line. Wilson, on the other hand, is a dynamic, open-field runner who averaged five yards per carry last season.

Thunder and Lightning

A two-headed rushing attack has worked for the Giants in the past. Ahmad Bradshaw (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8504) and Brandon Jacobs shared the rushing load and ran for a combined 2,058 yards and 17 touchdowns in 2010. Two years earlier, Jacobs and Derrick Ward rushed for 1,089 and 1,025 yards, respectively. But Wilson and Brown are reminiscent of the thunder-and-lightning tandem of Tiki Barber and Ron Dayne. Barber and Dayne rushed for a combined 1,776 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2000, as the G-Men went 12-4 and won NFC East.

At this early stage of Wilson's career, it may not be fair to compare him Barber, who is the team's all-time leading rusher with 10,449 yards, but there are similarities in size and style between the two players. In fact, Barber praised Wilson (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/26445/tiki-wilson-as-dynamic-as-nyg-ever-had) last week, calling him "as dynamic a player at that position that the Giants have ever had." Again, Wilson still has a lot to prove (read my three keys to his season (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/york-giants-three-things-david-wilson-must-2013-141900350.html)), but there's no reason he can't rush for at least 1,000 yards as the first option out of the backfield.

As far as Brown goes, saying he's the next Dayne could be perceived as an insult. Dayne's rookie season with the Giants in 2000 was his best in New York, but his numbers declined in each of the next three seasons. For one season (2000), however, the former first-round pick delivered, as he rumbled for 770 yards and five touchdowns. Brown, who ran for 385 yards in 10 games last season, is capable of duplicating those numbers with another 8-10 touchdowns to boot. " Read more...

Rudyy
07-02-2013, 04:28 PM
If the line improves, and Andre Brown doesn't get injured, they can be the new Thunder and Lightning.

Rusty192
07-02-2013, 04:30 PM
If the line improves, and Andre Brown doesn't get injured, they can be the new Thunder and Lightning.Although, the line was not the problem regarding our poor running game last year.

NYGiants2120
07-02-2013, 04:31 PM
a simple answer to the question is yes, if the line can just manage to be average then yes I believe these two backs are talented enough to have great seasons

Rudyy
07-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Although, the line was not the problem regarding our poor running game last year.It was a part of the problem, yes. They improved from 2011, but still inconsistent.

giantsfan420
07-02-2013, 04:32 PM
sooo stoked to see this offense. so explosive. dont care who starts alto my preference would be Wilson. AB2 has a great style all his own tho as well. Gonna be so awesome watching defenses **** a brick trying to figure out a way to stop our defense.

BigBlue1971
07-02-2013, 04:37 PM
they can be thunder and lightening again and id like to see that; however the o-line is as much a factor as Wilson and/or Brown.

Rusty192
07-02-2013, 04:38 PM
It was a part of the problem, yes. They improved from 2011, but still inconsistent.It was a much smaller part then most folks realize. People forget Bradshaw's woes. When Brown stepped in, we beasted. And DW, in his twenty-something carries was electric every time he got the ball and churned out big yards regardless who he was running behind. As long as the line doesn't get any worse, we'll have a much more potent, and effective rushing attack this year.

Rudyy
07-02-2013, 04:40 PM
It was a much smaller part then most folks realize. People forget Bradshaw's woes. When Brown stepped in, we beasted. And DW, in his twenty-something carries was electric every time he got the ball and churned out big yards regardless who he was running behind. As long as the line doesn't get any worse, we'll have a much more potent, and effective rushing attack this year.Small part or not, they still need to improve.

Rusty192
07-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Small part or not, they still need to improve.The whole team does. From the underachievement that was last year. Thats what the offseason is for.

Rudyy
07-02-2013, 04:45 PM
The whole team indeed. From the underachievement that was last year.Yes. But this is about our running game, and the way the offensive line plays will affect how our run game plays.

Rusty192
07-02-2013, 04:48 PM
The point of getting good RB's is so you can have a good running game. We have those guys. Our line wasn't that bad in run blocking like everyone likes to think. When Brown went down, it suffered badly.

Rudyy
07-02-2013, 04:49 PM
The point of getting good RB's is so you can have a good running game. We have those guys. Our line wasn't that bad in run blocking like everyone likes to think. When Brown went down, it suffered badly.They weren't terrible, but they can still play better.

EliDaMANning
07-02-2013, 05:10 PM
They weren't terrible, but they can still play better.LOLOLOL

Rusty192
07-02-2013, 05:13 PM
They weren't terrible, but they can still play better.Sure they can, but we can still have the 'thunder & lighting' duo this year with the talent of Wilson and a rejuvenated Brown.

Rudyy
07-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Sure they can, but we can still have the 'thunder & lighting' duo this year with the talent of Wilson and a rejuvenated Brown.I agree, I'm not questioning their talent whatsoever, I just think the line should stop being shaky.

egyptian420
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Both unproven guys but I could see the best case scenario being what we had with Jacobs/Bradshaw in 07/08

Rusty192
07-02-2013, 05:38 PM
I agree, I'm not questioning their talent whatsoever, I just think the line should stop being shaky.last thing we need is getting Eli killed. Then no one would be happy. well except for maybe morehead. :popcorn:

JesseJames
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Beatty and Booth were both effective on the O line but Baas, Snee and Diehl had very unproductive years and that has to improve if we're going to be able to run the ball and pass block for Eli, IMO

JJC7301
07-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Wish they had kept AB for another season and tried to bring back Earth, Wind and Fire.

RoanokeFan
07-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Wish they had kept AB for another season and tried to bring back Earth, Wind and Fire.

I think if Bradshaw could have practiced more he might still be here. But he's not and we have to look forward and see how Wilson and Brown do which I think will be an improvement over last year's numbers

wideright91
07-02-2013, 08:56 PM
No, because David Wilson has Hall of Fame talent.

BigBlueAllDay
07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Need to be more orginial.
Thunder and Lightning was Dayne and Tiki.
Then you had the Earth, Wind and Fire RBs with Jacobs, Ward, and Bradshaw respectively with DJ Ware proclaiming himself to be Water on the side...

David Wilson and Andre Brown. Who wants to come up with an original nickname for these two like Double Dragon or something? Don't be afraid to share them with the rest.

Giantz4Life
07-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Thunder and Lightning was Dayne and Tiki.

Thunder? More like Blunder

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lshcwkCnhj1r0wsw8o1_500.jpg

jomo
07-02-2013, 09:17 PM
They will make their own beautiful symphony together.

BigBlueAllDay
07-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Thunder? More like Blunder

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lshcwkCnhj1r0wsw8o1_500.jpg

In terms of panning out yes. But he had a decent rookie year that led to that tandem nickname and the 2000 Superbowl run. More like flash in the pan....

NYGinIN666
07-02-2013, 09:49 PM
if Eli gets the passing game going and establishes the play action along with the oline being aggressive and opening lanes, it almost doesn't matter who is back there.

Giantz4Life
07-02-2013, 09:56 PM
In terms of panning out yes. But he had a decent rookie year that led to that tandem nickname and the 2000 Superbowl run. More like flash in the pan....

I hear ya. I just constantly wait for the chance to make Billy Madison references

giantsfan420
07-02-2013, 10:28 PM
if Eli gets the passing game going and establishes the play action along with the oline being aggressive and opening lanes, it almost doesn't matter who is back there.but it certainly can be a position of heightened skill tho, no? I agree but also feel if we put a guy back there with superior skills, the run game will look that much better.

Roosevelt
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
If the line improves, and Andre Brown doesn't get injured, they can be the new Thunder and Lightning.

A new name is needed....

Dash and bash.

nycsportzfan
07-03-2013, 04:50 AM
The thing is, Andre Brown is pretty freaking fast in his ownright, and alot faster then Ron Dayne ever was. I thought Andre Brown was gonna be a steal, barring injuries, which have occured. Hes a complete back, who can catch, run, and block. On the other hand, i don't know if either can walk in Tiki's shoes, and its to tough to perdict that with what i've seen from Brown and Wilson so far. I definetly think we have a intriguing duo in Brown and Wilson though.

nycsportzfan
07-03-2013, 04:55 AM
Looking back at some of wilson's running plays, i was surprised at the power he ran with. He ran through alot of arm tackles and off alot of would be tacklers. Hes really explosive. I think hes poised for a very big season.

giantsfam04
07-03-2013, 05:34 AM
I would like to see Wilson get 15-20 thouches a game max and stay on kickoff returns. IMO it is more important that he gives the offense a short field.

BlueSanta
07-03-2013, 07:01 AM
I would like to see Wilson get 15-20 thouches a game max and stay on kickoff returns. IMO it is more important that he gives the offense a short field.

I do not think they will keep him on K/O returns. I am basing this on history. In 2007 Ahmad Bradshaw was our kick returner until late in the season when, because of injuries he was promoted into the RB rotation. As soon as he was promoted as a RB, he was removed from KO return duty.

Of course there is the argument that Wilson is a much better KO return guy, and that is true. But, the droppoff behind Ahmad in 2007 was pretty severe and he still got yanked.

The best scenario would be if 1 of the young speed guys showed some aptitude at it.

speedman
07-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Flash and Smash

CowboysSuck
07-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Lol I thought you were talking about Dayne and Tiki....wouldn't take much to top that combo!

CowboysSuck
07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
We will have a tryout for KR. Will Hill?, Scott, one of the 15 receivers on the roster.... I do agree though, Wildon is the best KR. Likely the best we've had since Ron Dixon

GameTime
07-03-2013, 10:15 AM
lets put it this way...
I hope they both have great seasons and earn a cool tandem name. Right now they are just Brown and Wilson.
IMO.....they are going to be very good......

giantsfam04
07-03-2013, 12:55 PM
I do not think they will keep him on K/O returns. I am basing this on history. In 2007 Ahmad Bradshaw was our kick returner until late in the season when, because of injuries he was promoted into the RB rotation. As soon as he was promoted as a RB, he was removed from KO return duty.

Of course there is the argument that Wilson is a much better KO return guy, and that is true. But, the droppoff behind Ahmad in 2007 was pretty severe and he still got yanked.

The best scenario would be if 1 of the young speed guys showed some aptitude at it.

Always nice to hope though, for the first time in a long time it was nice to watch a Giants kickoff return and not expect to be at the 20 or worse.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 01:08 PM
A new name is needed....

Dash and bash.

As long as it's not Crash and Burn

Breezely
07-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Didn't Wilson bulk up a little since last year??? And I would rather have Brown at his weight last year.

BlueSanta
07-03-2013, 04:16 PM
Didn't Wilson bulk up a little since last year??? And I would rather have Brown at his weight last year.

I think it isn't that he bulked up as much as he is filling out and still growing. He is still young. Last year, I reminded people that when Wilson came out he was the same age that Doug Martin was in his sophomore year. During his sophomore year Martin was actually smaller than Wilson was when he came out.

Most NFL guys put on some muscle during the early part of their career partly from the NFL regiment and also partly because they are still filling out.

giantsfan420
07-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Didn't Wilson bulk up a little since last year??? And I would rather have Brown at his weight last year.went from 205 last yr to 215 this yr to help himself take on oncoming defenders hes responsible to block.