PDA

View Full Version : Everybody screaming pass rush truthfully we need better coverage

giantsacks
07-02-2013, 07:03 PM
If we can get solid play from hosley n prince (my starters mid season ) we would be okay wit cweb in the slot .we desperately need speed on outside we need guys that's gun be at least in the picture when the ball comes toooo many times we seen guys 3-5 behind a wr like" r u kidding me"!!!!!!! Remember we djac,maclin ,dez,garçon twice plus harvin ,rice, Thomas ,welker oh and bowe speed is a must #giantsnation

Giantz4Life
07-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Pass rush is more important. If the pass rush is working it doesn't give the offense time to do what they want.

+1

If we actually had a pass rush last year Webby wouldn't have looked like a fool as much. Not making excuses for him because he was terrible at times, but so was the D-Line and we got exposed.

talbot
07-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Uh, if you make any secondary cover for more than like 3 seconds, they're gonna look like crap.

TCHOF
07-02-2013, 07:34 PM
If we can get solid play from hosley n prince (my starters mid season ) we would be okay wit cweb in the slot .we desperately need speed on outside we need guys that's gun be at least in the picture when the ball comes toooo many times we seen guys 3-5 behind a wr like" r u kidding me"!!!!!!! Remember we djac,maclin ,dez,garçon twice plus harvin ,rice, Thomas ,welker oh and bowe speed is a must #giantsnation

You do not understand the fundamental premise of our defense.

giantsacks
07-02-2013, 07:46 PM
I truly understand look at these other teams with mediocre dlines but solid corners -rams finnegan/Jenkins cowturds Carr/Claiborne Seattle /nuff said we need better coverage regardless of pass rush

Ruttiger711
07-02-2013, 07:54 PM
It's not called "rush" so we can give them more time.

TheEnigma
07-02-2013, 07:57 PM
I truly understand look at these other teams with mediocre dlines but solid corners -rams finnegan/Jenkins cowturds Carr/Claiborne Seattle /nuff said we need better coverage regardless of pass rush

When we get better play from our defensive ends and 3 tech, I'm all for upgrading the secondary.

jomo
07-02-2013, 08:19 PM
The best pass defense is still a ferocious pass rush. It is true that our secondary was really inferior last year, our lack of producing pressure along the front line was our biggest problem on D last year.

Drez
07-02-2013, 09:20 PM
If that's the case, why is it our coverage looks so much better when we have a great pass rush?

nhpgiantsfan
07-02-2013, 09:59 PM

I don't see any situation where CWebb plays the slot. He may lose his job, but I don't think he works in the slot.

BlueSanta
07-03-2013, 06:15 AM
This is a circular argument.

Which came 1st the chicken or the egg?

That said, it is a fact that you are going to live and die by the passrush, you have be ready for a lot of teams to do 3 step drop, quick hit passes. Very few teams even try to do 7 step drops anymore simply because the defense is at such a disadvantage now in coverage. 3 step drops are far more common and have been the bane of our defense for a couple years now. There are only so many routes that a wr can run in a 3 step drop in normal situations. Most of them are countered by good physical corner play, linebackers who get quick drops and clog passing lanes, and defensive lineman who knock passes out of the air. There is a reason passes batted at the line of scrimmage are way up in recent years. That happens more often in 3 step drops.

Last year we failed in 2 of the 3 ways to counter quick passes. We weren't exactly stellar in batted passes either. So really we need to improve in all 3 situations.

nygfanmaybe
07-03-2013, 06:32 AM
I will take a superior pass rush and average coverage over superior coverage and average pass rush any day and twice on the day they usually play.

It's like somebody said earlier. A fierce rush makes all-pros out of DB's...and it is impossible to cover somebody indefinitely. If you give a receiver enough time, he is going to get open. He knows where he is going and the DB does not. Advantage WR.

penguinfarmer
07-03-2013, 07:31 AM
Pretty simple answer. We need both to improve.

bigblue58
07-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Bottom line dude, we live or die by our pass rush and it......and JPP especially, has to be back at a 2011 level of performance or we're dead meat again in 2013!
Personally speaking, I have my doubts that JPP will ever be as dominant ever again, because the bad thing about back problems, and surgery, (take it from someone who knows) is that it rarely if ever returns you to pre-injury health, and you are left with ok days or bad days..... as the good days are pretty much gone forever!
I'm just hoping that that doesn't turn out to be the epitaph for JPP's career.

Red Dog
07-03-2013, 09:16 AM

Like the words of the song says. One supports the other. Good coverage always starts with a good pass rush. Without pass rush receivers have all the advantage of knowing where they're going and what they'll do to get there. A pass rush interrupts all that by forcing throws rushing throws or the QB getting hit

GameTime
07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Pretty simple answer. We need both to improve.

ladies and gentlemen......there you have it. Simple logic.