PDA

View Full Version : What Merits A Big Payday For Cruz?

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 10:22 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/26566/what-merits-a-big-payday-for-cruz

Excerpt: "Yesterday, we told you (http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/67165/cruz-has-room-for-improvement) what Victor Cruz (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13553/victor-cruz) needs to improve in his game in order to earn the new contract he is slated to sign with the New York Giants (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants).

Today, we tell you what Cruz has done and should continue to do in order to again be one of the most productive receivers in the NFL.

In just three seasons (he missed nearly all of 2010 with a hamstring injury), Cruz has made his mark on both the Giants' and the NFL's record book. In 2011, he set the single-season Giants receiving record with 1,536 yards.

Despite missing the 2010 season, Cruz has compiled the most receiving yards (2,628) in his first three seasons by an undrafted free agent since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970.

Deep Threat
Cruz holds the record for the longest reception in Giants franchise history (99 yards, Dec. 24, 2011 vs. the Jets), and has made a habit of routinely breaking big gains on his opponents.

Most Receiving TDs out of Slot
Past 2 Seasons

Victor Cruz
15<<

Wes Welker (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5941/wes-welker)

Rob Gronkowski (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13229/rob-gronkowski)

>>led NFL with 8 last season

Cruz is known for his ability to tack on yardage after the catch. His 924 yards after the catch since 2011 lead the Giants and rank fourth-most among all NFC players. He has also converted long gains into touchdowns with great success.

Over the past two seasons, Cruz has seven touchdown receptions of 40 yards or more. Only Jordy Nelson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11270/jordy-nelson) has more such receptions in that span with eight. In that same time span, Cruz is tied with Nelson for the most touchdown receptions of 25 yards or more. " Read more...

GameTime
07-03-2013, 10:24 AM
bottom line...
Cruz is turning into a great receiver. He is not a one year wonder and seems durable. He is worth what the Giants are willing and/or able to pay him.
They want him in the team.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 10:29 AM
bottom line...
Cruz is turning into a great receiver. He is not a one year wonder and seems durable. He is worth what the Giants are willing and/or able to pay him.
They want him in the team.

Reese has a tough job, but he seems to make the right moves most of the time.

TheAnalyst
07-03-2013, 11:00 AM
I know most dont agree with me, but I think it is harder to replace Cruz then Nicks.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 11:04 AM
I know most dont agree with me, but I think it is harder to replace Cruz then Nicks.

You and I can hang together, which way to the gallows? :rolleyes:

giantscolombia
07-03-2013, 11:56 AM
I agree. I mean arguably Randle looks like a replacement for Nicks... I definitely dont want him to go but still I think Nicks is "easier" to replace.

If you think about it there is only 3-4 players "like" VC but nearly every single team has a player "like" Nicks.

BigBlue1971
07-03-2013, 12:05 PM
anyone holding nfl and team records in as short amount of time as Cruzs deserves to hit the contract jackpot.

this guy is in the spring of his career will only get better. hes already top 5 imo.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 12:15 PM
anyone holding nfl and team records in as short amount of time as Cruzs deserves to hit the contract jackpot.

this guy is in the spring of his career will only get better. hes already top 5 imo.

I really don't like numbering players, but it's a tradition we seem to be stuck with. I leave his financial worth to Reese & Co. But his play making value to the team seems pretty obvious to me.

TheAnalyst
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
He is the biggest playmaker on this team. In fact, the biggest playmaker this team has had since.... Tiki?

repeatchamps
07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
I agree. I mean arguably Randle looks like a replacement for Nicks... I definitely dont want him to go but still I think Nicks is "easier" to replace.

If you think about it there is only 3-4 players "like" VC but nearly every single team has a player "like" Nicks.

Ding, ding, ding we have a winner! Randle has the potential to be even better because he has the tools to play as physical as Nicks and has a body physically built better to endure that type of abuse Nicks sees meaning less injuries for Randle in the long run when compared to Nicks with hopefully similar production! We shall see I guess.

Honestly I loved that Randle fell to the Giants in round 2, I think he may end up being a steal considering where the Giants drafted him. I actually liked the Randle pick even better than the Wilson pick and I was very pleased with the Wilson pick in round 1 lol.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
He is the biggest playmaker on this team. In fact, the biggest playmaker this team has had since.... Tiki?

Other than Eli?

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner! Randle has the potential to be even better because he has the tools to play as physical as Nicks and has a body physically built better to endure that type of abuse Nicks sees meaning less injuries for Randle in the long run when compared to Nicks.

It will be interesting to see how much playing time Randle gets this season. My guess is as much as they can provide behind Nicks and Cruz and if Nicks loses time, and Randle takes advantage, does Nicks still command top dollar from Reese?

repeatchamps
07-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Ding, ding, ding we have a winner! Randle has the potential to be even better because he has the tools to play as physical as Nicks and has a body physically built better to endure that type of abuse Nicks sees meaning less injuries for Randle in the long run when compared to Nicks with hopefully similar production! We shall see I guess.

Honestly I loved that Randle fell to the Giants in round 2, I think he may end up being a steal considering where the Giants drafted him. I actually liked the Randle pick even better than the Wilson pick and I was very pleased with the Wilson pick in round 1 lol.

It will be interesting to see how much playing time Randle gets this season. My guess is as much as they can provide behind Nicks and Cruz and if Nicks loses time, and Randle takes advantage, does Nicks still command top dollar from Reese?

I think that will be the most intriguing situation revolving around the offense this season other than maybe the impact Pugh makes on the O-line particularly the running game.

JJC7301
07-03-2013, 01:24 PM
I agree with you. As far as I can tell, it's harder to find a great slot WR. I think that Nicks is the better all-around WR, but I think that Cruz's ability is harder to replace.

Then again most of us like to point out that Cruz is "only" as good as he is because he has Nicks around. But maybe the same could be said of Nicks with having Cruz around?

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
I agree with you. As far as I can tell, it's harder to find a great slot WR. I think that Nicks is the better all-around WR, but I think that Cruz's ability is harder to replace.

Then again most of us like to point out that Cruz is "only" as good as he is because he has Nicks around. But maybe the same could be said of Nicks with having Cruz around?

I think they very much complement each other and can't wait to see them on the field with Eli and a hopefully revived running game.

nhpgiantsfan
07-03-2013, 02:32 PM

People thought it would be impossible to replace SS12, and look we didn't even need to waste a draft pick on his replacement.

TheAnalyst
07-03-2013, 02:35 PM
People thought it would be impossible to replace SS12, and look we didn't even need to waste a draft pick on his replacement.

That is true, but how many times can you catch lightning in a bottle in a row? Those were 2 of the top 5 WRs we may of ever had, pre Smiths injury, he was almost a lock to break every record a Giants WR had. Now Cruz probably will.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 03:02 PM

You may not remember this, but when Cruz was a rookie, he was almost cut. The "inside scoop" at the time was that someone in the "front office" intervened. I don't recall the "someone" ever being identified but it had to be someone above Reese who could have simply made the decision himself.

I don't particularly care who it was, but I am glad for the intervention.

nhpgiantsfan
07-03-2013, 03:09 PM
That is true, but how many times can you catch lightning in a bottle in a row? Those were 2 of the top 5 WRs we may of ever had, pre Smiths injury, he was almost a lock to break every record a Giants WR had. Now Cruz probably will.

I agree, odds are the Giants will never again find a player that puts up numbers like #80 and is undrafted ever again. But when discussing who would be more difficult to replace, Nicks or Cruz, just look at the history of the draft. WR's that are physical specimens that are expected to dominate the outside of the field are drafted in the first found like Nicks. Guys who are slated/projected to be slot guys usually aren't going at the top of the draft. I'm not saying it would ever be easy to replace Victor Cruz, but it would probably cost the team more, either in salary or draft, to replace Nicks.

nhpgiantsfan
07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
You may not remember this, but when Cruz was a rookie, he was almost cut. The "inside scoop" at the time was that someone in the "front office" intervened. I don't recall the "someone" ever being identified but it had to be someone above Reese who could have simply made the decision himself.

I don't particularly care who it was, but I am glad for the intervention.

Thank God! Somebody remembered the Jet game.. I guess if it was above Reese, it must've been Mara. Although I think TC could convince Reese to keep a player if he felt strongly enough about it.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Thank God! Somebody remembered the Jet game.. I guess if it was above Reese, it must've been Mara. Although I think TC could convince Reese to keep a player if he felt strongly enough about it.

I always thought Mara, but Cruz and Tisch seem to be pretty close now so who knows. I remember reading Rex would have grabbed Cruz had he been released.

TheAnalyst
07-03-2013, 03:15 PM
I agree, odds are the Giants will never again find a player that puts up numbers like #80 and is undrafted ever again. But when discussing who would be more difficult to replace, Nicks or Cruz, just look at the history of the draft. WR's that are physical specimens that are expected to dominate the outside of the field are drafted in the first found like Nicks. Guys who are slated/projected to be slot guys usually aren't going at the top of the draft. I'm not saying it would ever be easy to replace Victor Cruz, but it would probably cost the team more, either in salary or draft, to replace Nicks.

But you also have to weigh in the fact that Cruz is more reliable as far as health. Nicks is getting the label no one wants, injury prone. If Nicks only plays 60-70% of the games, we are in trouble if we give him so much we cant afford quality depth.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 03:21 PM
But you also have to weigh in the fact that Cruz is more reliable as far as health. Nicks is getting the label no one wants, injury prone. If Nicks only plays 60-70% of the games, we are in trouble if we give him so much we cant afford quality depth.

Reese really has to be hoping Randle comes on this season in case Nicks misses time again.

nhpgiantsfan
07-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Agreed, he needs a healthy season in the worst way. I was more talking on what it would cost the team to bring in a WR of Nick's caliber.

Ruttiger711
07-03-2013, 04:09 PM

Since it's arguably - what have you seen out of Randle that give you the confidence? Nicks is the best WR to fill the #1 or "X" spot for the Giants since I don't even know. He's better than Plax was, way better than Toomer was and Randle hasn't shown to be anywhere near as good as them.

I can only hope the Randle pans out to be at least as good as Manningham was, but he hasn't shown that yet either.

repeatchamps
07-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Since it's arguably - what have you seen out of Randle that give you the confidence? Nicks is the best WR to fill the #1 or "X" spot for the Giants since I don't even know. He's better than Plax was, way better than Toomer was and Randle hasn't shown to be anywhere near as good as them.

I can only hope the Randle pans out to be at least as good as Manningham was, but he hasn't shown that yet either.

I love Nicks but I have to disagree with your take on Randle. Every opportunity Randle was given last season, he made plays. I suggest you go back and watch the games he was prominently featured and you will see the skills he brings to the table.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 05:31 PM

One of the things that struck me about what Gilbride had to say about Randle was that he had taken on a "leadership role" during OTAs.

jomo
07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
One of the things that struck me about what Gilbride had to say about Randle was that he had taken on a "leadership role" during OTAs.If those are more than just words it is significant toward our team this year and maybe even toward our negotiations with Nicks. Interesting.......

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 07:47 PM
If those are more than just words it is significant toward our team this year and maybe even toward our negotiations with Nicks. Interesting.......

It's significant to me because, while Eli is the Captain, he has a muted style of leadership. There's nothing wrong with that, but I do think the offense could use another "leader."

gmen46
07-04-2013, 01:20 AM
I always thought Mara, but Cruz and Tisch seem to be pretty close now so who knows. I remember reading Rex would have grabbed Cruz had he been released.

I always thought it was Rooney or Kate who put their foot/feet down :D

giantsfan420
07-04-2013, 01:55 AM
One of the things that struck me about what Gilbride had to say about Randle was that he had taken on a "leadership role" during OTAs.that would be great. and i am not saying however ur interpreting the statement is wrong, i just interpreted it as Randle was becoming more of a leader among the wrs (which is still a great thing), didnt even think of the entire offense but that would be awesome.

the guy has bigtime game. dont let LSU's lack of QBs when he was in college dismay anyone. last yr, it wasnt a fluke when he was making those downfield plays. if anything he showed he can get downfield (i believe he showed a helluva lot more tho). That week 17 game was something to see, that wasnt a scrub, that was Namdi, same corner whose given our other guys trouble.

RoanokeFan
07-04-2013, 08:58 AM
that would be great. and i am not saying however ur interpreting the statement is wrong, i just interpreted it as Randle was becoming more of a leader among the wrs (which is still a great thing), didnt even think of the entire offense but that would be awesome.

the guy has bigtime game. dont let LSU's lack of QBs when he was in college dismay anyone. last yr, it wasnt a fluke when he was making those downfield plays. if anything he showed he can get downfield (i believe he showed a helluva lot more tho). That week 17 game was something to see, that wasnt a scrub, that was Namdi, same corner whose given our other guys trouble.

No sense guessing what Gilbride meant, here's his quote:

"His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism was outstanding," Gilbride said. "Now, is that because [Nicks and Cruz] weren't here, or because he got more reps, I don't know. But he certainly stepped into a leadership role. Not only did he grow, he kind of became the bell cow of the receiving corps. He was first in line and did all those things. That was not what we saw last year, not by a long shot. So to see him grow like that was a great step forward for him that will help us down the road."

I'd like to see a leader on every unit on both sides of the ball. IMO, Rolle has unofficially taken on that role in the secondary. Eli is the Captain on offense and you can only have one of them. But leaders can be found anywhere if they have the mindset.

miked1958
07-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Reese has a tough job, but he seems to make the right moves most of the time.yep he does and we should be thankful. Sure every GM is going have those players that they drafted with high expectations that bomb out and are draft failures. However more times then not this guy had been right on the money with his picks ( that we scrutinize and tear apart when they are announced, lol cause we know better, right?) and FA signings!!!

giantsfan420
07-04-2013, 11:55 AM
No sense guessing what Gilbride meant, here's his quote:

"His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism was outstanding," Gilbride said. "Now, is that because [Nicks and Cruz] weren't here, or because he got more reps, I don't know. But he certainly stepped into a leadership role. Not only did he grow, he kind of became the bell cow of the receiving corps. He was first in line and did all those things. That was not what we saw last year, not by a long shot. So to see him grow like that was a great step forward for him that will help us down the road."

I'd like to see a leader on every unit on both sides of the ball. IMO, Rolle has unofficially taken on that role in the secondary. Eli is the Captain on offense and you can only have one of them. But leaders can be found anywhere if they have the mindset.well yeah i based my thought on the entire quote. KG referenced how Nicks n Cruz werent there, and I dont know if they're considered actual "leaders" on the team as opposed to leaders for the WR unit. I took it to mean that since Nicks n Cruz werent there, Randle assumed almost command of the unit and rightfully so bc after nicks n cruz, Randle is the next guy up.