PDA

View Full Version : Blog Bits: Johnathan Hankins

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 09:28 AM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6323

Excerpt: "Of all the rookie draft picks, Hankins seems to be in the best position to contribute out of the chute. Possessing excellent size, ďBig HankĒ has done a fine job of creating congestion against the run, at times drawing holding from those he faces. It will be interesting to see how far along he really is, though, once the pads go on this summer.

Q. Itís early, but it looks like youíre starting to create some issues for offensive linemen, some of whom look like theyíre starting to resort to holding you in practice. Where are you right now in your grasp of the playbook?
A: Itís starting to slow down. Iím starting to get the schemes and the plays, and more importantly working on my technique. Itís all starting to come together. Iíve been working with Coach (Robert Nunn) and the other guys, so Iím pretty happy with the progress Iíve made so far. Still more to do, but itís coming along.

Q: Did you have to change your technique much from college to this level?
A: Yes, I would say the biggest thing has been using both hands, put both hands down on each side. Iíve been working on that a lot more and just learning the technique overall that coach wants us to play at the position.

Q: Everyone learns at a different rate. With that said, can you offer some insight into how the coaches have approached teaching the scheme and the plays to you guys? Is it one play today, then three variations of that play, or just a handful of different plays?
A: First they tell you the play, the foundation of it Ė what you have to do, where you have to be at, and that sort of thing. Then each time you learn a different aspect of the play, the variations. For me, I feel like itís been pretty easy. I donít feel like theyíve thrown a lot at me to where my head is spinning, know what I mean? The defense is pretty much the same as it was at Ohio State Ė the terminology is a little different, but Iím catching on pretty good.

Q: Have any of the veterans stepped up to take you under his wing?
A: All of them give a lot of tips on what to do and what not to do. Iím very thankful for all the advice Iíve gotten. Shaun Rogers and Linval and Marvin Austin have really been helping me out most since theyíre interior guys." Read more...

giantscolombia
07-03-2013, 10:04 AM
This guy is easily the one i'm most excited to see into preseason! I hope he becomes a beast!!!

ahhaah @ Marvin Austin giving him pointers... pfffff might as well take advice from a bum.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 10:06 AM
This guy is easily the one i'm most excited to see into preseason! I hope he becomes a beast!!!

ahhaah @ Marvin Austin giving him pointers... pfffff might as well take advice from a bum.

He seems to be the only pick at this point even hinted at for a starter. I thought it was an interesting comment that some of the OLinemen were resorting to holding him

giantscolombia
07-03-2013, 10:08 AM
He seems to be the only pick at this point even hinted at for a starter. I thought it was an interesting comment that some of the OLinemen were resorting to holding him

I agree. I dont know if that is alarming or amazing...

He is physically a monster but he is still a rookie. it makes me uneasy. Hopefully, its just that he is just way to strong.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
I agree. I dont know if that is alarming or amazing...

He is physically a monster but he is still a rookie. it makes me uneasy. Hopefully, its just that he is just way to strong.

Quality rotation maybe

TheAnalyst
07-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Big Hank is the next Jonas Searight....

The stars reach for Big Hank
Big Hank once hit a 5 RBI grand slam, playing basketball.

TCHOF
07-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Please keep Marvin Austin away from him!!!!

BigBlue1971
07-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Please keep Marvin Austin away from him!!!!

lol. Hankins is already more "pro" ready than Austin is.

Mercury
07-03-2013, 11:55 AM
more likely is a reflection of our Oline's ineptness :(

giantscolombia
07-03-2013, 11:58 AM
more likely is a reflection of our Oline's ineptness :(
That's what i'm afraid of.
Is he pwning the likes of David Diehl?

Mercury
07-03-2013, 02:00 PM
David Diehl isn't likely blocking Big Hank. With Boothe, Baas, and Snee limited or non-participating, he is going against guys like Brewer, Mosley, McCants, Cordle, Herman, etc. I'm thinking we don't have a lot of talent on the deep end of the offensive line.

Mercury
07-03-2013, 02:03 PM
But really, they haven't even been in pads yet. So I don't think it means much this early.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 02:04 PM
David Diehl isn't likely blocking Big Hank. With Boothe, Baas, and Snee limited or non-participating, he is going against guys like Brewer, Mosley, McCants, Cordle, Herman, etc. I'm thinking we don't have a lot of talent on the deep end of the offensive line.

Plus, so far it's been little more than walking through the plays.

Mercury
07-03-2013, 02:06 PM
Plus, so far it's been little more than walking through the plays.

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing.

But our Oline needs to work on their holding skills. :D

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing.

But our Oline needs to work on their holding skills. :D

LOL I think the fundamentals have been hurt by the practice restrictions brought about by the new CBA.

Mercury
07-03-2013, 02:21 PM
LOL I think the fundamentals have been hurt by the practice restrictions brought about by the new CBA.

So is that why our defense can't tackle?

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 02:24 PM

I think that's part of it. How do you hone those basic skills when you aren't wearing pads, can't have contact, etc. all forced on teams by the CBA? I've seen more than my fair share of missed tackles, broken tackles, bad angles, blah, blah, blah to last a lifetime.

TheAnalyst
07-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Why can other defenses tackle then?

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Why can other defenses tackle then?

It's not exclusive to the Giants from what I've seen/

myles2424
07-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Lol at @marvin Austin....Clearly Jonathan hast figured out whos who yet.....
Did sinorice moss ever take rookie Hakeem Nicks under his wing?

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 07:09 PM

Moss would have needed a step ladder :rolleyes:

Giantz4Life
07-03-2013, 09:53 PM

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/011/848/cold.jpg