PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Summer Questionnaire: Mark Herzlich

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 04:37 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/07/giants_summer_questionnaire_mark_herzlich.html

Excerpt: "Heading into training camp, no position is more uncertain for the Giants than linebacker (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/06/giants_linebacking_corps.html). All three starting spots in the Giants' base 4-3 are open. Mark Herzlich is aiming to claim the job at middle linebacker, and anchor a unit that struggled last season. During offseason practices, Herzlich, signed as an undrafted free agent in 2011, worked with the starters at the position. He spoke for our summer questionnaire series about the work it takes to become a starter.

Has there been a motivational theme -- perhaps missing the postseason last year -- in this locker room during offseason training?
I think we are motivated from missing the postseason because the year before we felt what it was like to go all the way to the Super Bowl. To then not even make the playoffs and sit at home is an eye opener. You don't want to be there again. We have the added motivation that we want to play the Super Bowl in our backyard. And everything we do is to get to the Super Bowl and win the Super Bowl. That's where our focus is and the theme is to do it at all costs.

What are your personal goals for the coming season?
I want to get better at special teams at the spot I've been playing at, better technique-wise. But my main goal is to break into the starting lineup on defense and lead the defense -- just bring everybody together because we've had some guys leave, some guys come and join and really create a community on the defensive side of ball where we're all having fun playing together. Because we can have fun playing if we all know what we're doing. That's, as the middle linebacker, what your role is -- to make sure everyone knows what they're doing at all times so we can go out and play fast and have fun.

It is an interesting time to be a Giants linebacker. Three spots are up for grabs. How has this affected your approach this offseason?
It is an opportunity you get excited about. You get opportunities in your life and it's how you handle them, whether you fold and get nervous -- and then obviously you won't get that spot -- but my plan is to be confident, to learn as much as I can at all times, to get my body ready. Once my body is ready, I know my mind is the biggest thing. And if you know what you're doing before you do it then you play faster." Read more...

Delicreep
07-03-2013, 04:44 PM
I like this guy a lot...he just needs to make me not regret it!!!!

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 04:50 PM

You have to pull for a guy who's trying to come back from cancer. Hopefully he'll be able to make the grade.

TCHOF
07-03-2013, 04:51 PM
He is the opposite of Tiki . . . . love the guy, hate the football player.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 04:52 PM
He is the opposite of Tiki . . . . love the guy, hate the football player.

Hate?

Buddy333
07-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Is it possible he is still recovering? What he is doing has never happened before. Maybe he is still getting stronger.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Is it possible he is still recovering? What he is doing has never happened before. Maybe he is still getting stronger.

I'm not sure still recovering, per se. But I have to imagine his entire system, including muscles, had to have taken a serious hit during the cure and he may still be building b ack some of the muscle mass he had. My medical degree should be here any day now.

TCHOF
07-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Hate?

Yeah, hate may be too strong. But he was God-awful last year. It's like he regressed from year one.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Yeah, hate may be too strong. But he was God-awful last year. It's like he regressed from year one.

Maybe the sophomore slump

TCHOF
07-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Maybe the sophomore slump

That's the concerning thing to me though . . . . if the theory is that he is still regaining his pre-cancer strength and athleticism, why would his performance have gotten worse from year one to year two?

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 06:00 PM
That's the concerning thing to me though . . . . if the theory is that he is still regaining his pre-cancer strength and athleticism, why would his performance have gotten worse from year one to year two?

Good question. The whole team was erratic (being kind) so maybe that had to do with it.

TCHOF
07-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Good question. The whole team was erratic (being kind) so maybe that had to do with it.

I hope so . . . you have to root for the guy.

JimC
07-03-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure still recovering, per se. But I have to imagine his entire system, including muscles, had to have taken a serious hit during the cure and he may still be building back some of the muscle mass he had. My medical degree should be here any day now.

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express???

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express???

LOL

jomo
07-03-2013, 06:57 PM
That's the concerning thing to me though . . . . if the theory is that he is still regaining his pre-cancer strength and athleticism, why would his performance have gotten worse from year one to year two?There is a big mental aspect that can't be overlooked. As a rookie, he is being asked to contribute on special team. Anything on regular plays is a plus and we overlook alot. As a second year player, we are looking seriously at him to be our MLB. That is a big load and may explain some of it. If he beats out Connor, that tells me he is moving forward as a player and that is good for us.

BROADWAYSTORM
07-04-2013, 02:23 AM
The problems I saw with him were not physical last year when he played defense. They were more about the mental aspects as well as being completely out of position by overpursuing and being too aggressive. He got tricked a lot and baited and had trouble wrapping up tackles. I think those are all fixable. I was actually fine with his athletic progress. He certainly wasnt slow or hindered physically on the field it was more a mental thing.

giantsfan420
07-04-2013, 03:14 AM
The problems I saw with him were not physical last year when he played defense. They were more about the mental aspects as well as being completely out of position by overpursuing and being too aggressive. He got tricked a lot and baited and had trouble wrapping up tackles. I think those are all fixable. I was actually fine with his athletic progress. He certainly wasnt slow or hindered physically on the field it was more a mental thing.that all could stem from physical limitations tho. he could be trying to overcompensate, and trying to diagnose plays or meet the ball carrier and thus is over pursuing. over pursuing and being out of position could be physical as well as a mental issue but i see ur point.

i thought he moved well but was trying too hard to get back to the guy he was. he needs to realize that guy doesnt exist anymore. i'd like it if he played with more calmness and assured in his game and himself

Breezely
07-04-2013, 05:41 AM
I believe he will do well this year. For one, he has put forward the effort to master the defensive schemes. Which, according to him, will make him more instinctive (I agree). His attitude is a huge plus. If he can bring the physicality aspect into play, why not. He was very physical at BC.

Toadofsteel
07-04-2013, 01:00 PM
The fact that the FO let Blackburn walk so easily tells me that they were considering giving Herz a serious look...

B&RWarrior
07-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Right! With his personal story and all, I so want to rock his jersey, but he's got to make plays to get jersey privileges.

B&RWarrior
07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
The fact that the FO let Blackburn walk so easily tells me that they were considering giving Herz a serious look...

I'm sorry, Blackburn going elsewhere only tells me that they refused to wallow in mediocrity.

kfelgigiants
07-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Herzlich is slow but I agree with the mental mistakes like overpursuing and missing arm tackles. But he consistently got burnt due to lack of speed and quick burst

Toadofsteel
07-04-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm sorry, Blackburn going elsewhere only tells me that they refused to wallow in mediocrity.

Blackburn was a sure deal, and way more than mediocre. Maybe he wasn't Ray Lewis, but at least you didn't have to worry about him whiffing on a tackle. Herz is a big question mark.

TCHOF
07-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Blackburn was a sure deal, and way more than mediocre. Maybe he wasn't Ray Lewis, but at least you didn't have to worry about him whiffing on a tackle. Herz is a big question mark.

You didn't have to worry about Blackburn whiffing on a tackle? hmmm

B&RWarrior
07-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Blackburn was average on his good days and awful on his bad ones, and last year he whiffed on a lot of tackles. The guy is not a consistent playmaker. He is consistently a liability.

RichGiants81
07-04-2013, 10:35 PM
year one he was mainly a specials guy who got a few reps here and there on D, year two, he had alot more responsibilities and was in contention for a starting role. thats why we saw alot of growing pains. im confident that he will be a solid contributor this season