PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Roster Breakdown: Jerrel Jernigan

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 04:44 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/7/3/4480014/new-york-giants-roster-breakdown-jerrel-jernigan

Excerpt: "When the Giants drafted Jerrel Jernigan in 2011 they were looking for him to become a playmaker both on ofense and special teams. They are still waiting to see that materialize.

Let's continue rolling through the 90-man roster the New York Giants will bring to training camp by touching on wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan, who is entering his third season.

2012 Season In Review

In his second season Jernigan made only three catches for 22 yards, but they were the first three of his NFL career. The only kickoff he returned went for 60 yards. Jernigan once again had an opportunity to earn the punt return job but could not secure it because he could not convince the Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) he could secure the ball. While the numbers don't seem like much by season's end he had surpassed Ramses Barden (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71289/ramses-barden) on the depth chart and was getting a handful of snaps in sets calling for extra receivers while Barden sat." Read more...

Buddy333
07-03-2013, 05:08 PM
He caught a tough break playing behind Cruz.

FishinTheSalt
07-03-2013, 05:11 PM
I would love if he could develop into a Brian Mitchellesque style returner. Sure hands and always the potential to take it to the house.

One can dream can't he?

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 05:32 PM
He caught a tough break playing behind Cruz.

That's for sure, but I was surprised not to see him mentioned much, if at all, during the OTAs.

Gimaniac
07-03-2013, 05:37 PM
JJ will have the opportunity to return kickoffs. He needs to do something with that opportunity. Just running it back to the 20 is not gonna cut it anymore.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 05:41 PM
JJ will have the opportunity to return kickoffs. He needs to do something with that opportunity. Just running it back to the 20 is not gonna cut it anymore.

He won't have the job long if that's the case. Wilson is an available alternative and, while I would prefer Wilson just play on offense, I am also a big believer in field position and Wilson sure gives us that.

fansince69
07-03-2013, 06:04 PM
That's for sure, but I was surprised not to see him mentioned much, if at all, during the OTAs.Till he tweaked his hammy...he was being praised

giantsfan420
07-03-2013, 06:08 PM
JJ will have the opportunity to return kickoffs. He needs to do something with that opportunity. Just running it back to the 20 is not gonna cut it anymore.he had 1 return last yr, and it went for 60 yrds. just fwiw.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Till he tweaked his hammy...he was being praised

I was trying to stay away form the injury lol

fansince69
07-03-2013, 06:16 PM
I was trying to stay away form the injury lolI think at this point it sounded more precautionary than serious but well see

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 06:17 PM
I think at this point it sounded more precautionary than serious but well see

You're probably right. Wasn't it on the last day of mini-camp?

fansince69
07-03-2013, 06:19 PM
You're probably right. Wasn't it on the last day of mini-camp?yes it was late and until then he was getting the same comments as the other got from the the last otas....all I can say is it sure is nice to have this kind of depth at a position that for most of my life has been very unproductive

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 06:21 PM
yes it was late and until then he was getting the same comments as the other got from the the last otas....all I can say is it sure is nice to have this kind of depth at a position that for most of my life has been very unproductive

No argument there

jomo
07-03-2013, 06:49 PM
No argument thereWe go awfully deep at WR, that is nice.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 08:02 PM
We go awfully deep at WR, that is nice.

Man, imagine having a 5 WR set with degrees of quality at all five?

jomo
07-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Man, imagine having a 5 WR set with degrees of quality at all five?That would be awesome. Another way to view it is that we won't go a full season without some injuries. The embarrassment of riches allows us to deal with that without too much drop off.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 08:06 PM
That would be awesome. Another way to view it is that we won't go a full season without some injuries. The embarrassment of riches allows us to deal with that without too much drop off.

Lots of positives for the receiving corps

GameTime
07-03-2013, 08:36 PM
based on what he has done or his opportuity to do I have really no idea what kind of player is or what his skill set will do potentially for the Giants

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 08:44 PM
based on what he has done or his opportuity to do I have really no idea what kind of player is or what his skill set will do potentially for the Giants

I attribute that, in part, to Nicks, Cruz, Randle, and, to a lesser extent Bennett, last season. Hard to break through that group even with Nicks being hobbled.

GameTime
07-03-2013, 08:46 PM
I attribute that, in part, to Nicks, Cruz, Randle, and, to a lesser extent Bennett, last season. Hard to break through that group even with Nicks being hobbled.
yes true....but Randle broke out. If he something really good to offer he woudl have been utilized more......possibly.
I hope the kid makes the most of his chances

Sovereign
07-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Every year we have depth. Killdrive however spends half of his time making us into a power running team with a mediocre line. With these weapons we should be like Saints-lite.

GameTime
07-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Every year we have depth. Killdrive however spends half of his time making us into a power running team with a mediocre line. With these weapons we should be like Saints-lite.
???

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 09:20 PM
yes true....but Randle broke out. If he something really good to offer he woudl have been utilized more......possibly.
I hope the kid makes the most of his chances

He did and I see him as the clear # 3 which opens opportunity for him to take advantage of.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 09:21 PM

The goal is a balanced attack and I think we've done that most of the time.

GameTime
07-03-2013, 09:22 PM
He did and I see him as the clear # 3 which opens opportunity for him to take advantage of.
I meant Randle broke and Jerrnigan didnt and they both had opportunity

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 09:25 PM
I meant Randle broke and Jerrnigan didnt and they both had opportunity

My reading comprehension is faltering. That is very true but Jernigan didn't have much of a chance on offense, he did on STs and didn't take advantage there

GameTime
07-03-2013, 09:26 PM
My reading comprehension is faltering. That is very true but Jernigan didn't have much of a chance on offense, he did on STs and didn't take advantage there
Nah....things get lost in translation on these boards......Or havent you noticed....lol

BigBlue1971
07-03-2013, 09:58 PM
I thought Jernigan would be better than hes been.

hes going for Sinorice Moss numbers and that's not good.

he better breakout somewhere and special teams seems to be his only chance especially with the guys in front of him.

i hope he will show flash in the preseason enough at least to make the final 53

Shockeystays08
07-04-2013, 07:28 AM

Jernigan had a chance on special teams? I remember one opportunity for a kick off return and it went for 60 yards. Are you saying because he didn't beat out David Wilson ( who was remarkable ) for kick off returns he's going down failure road? The Giants brass liked the sure handed RR on punt returns, that doesn't mean JJ didn't take advantage of his special team oppurtunities. JJ has had little to no oppurtunities to take advantage of in my opinion. Not on special teams or at WR. In large due to the fact that Cruz is in front of him in the slot and David Wilson's performance returning kick offs. If we don't give him some consistant chances to show what he has he can't evolve for us. However he may evolve with another team who knows how to use him - Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles? and we'll be kicking ourselves in the hind quarters at that point.

RoanokeFan
07-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Jernigan had a chance on special teams? I remember one opportunity for a kick off return and it went for 60 yards. Are you saying because he didn't beat out David Wilson ( who was remarkable ) for kick off returns he's going down failure road? The Giants brass liked the sure handed RR on punt returns, that doesn't mean JJ didn't take advantage of his special team oppurtunities. JJ has had little to no oppurtunities to take advantage of in my opinion. Not on special teams or at WR. In large due to the fact that Cruz is in front of him in the slot and David Wilson's performance returning kick offs. If we don't give him some consistant chances to show what he has he can't evolve for us. However he may evolve with another team who knows how to use him - Redskins, Cowboys, Eagles? and we'll be kicking ourselves in the hind quarters at that point.

I'm saying Jernigan has been here three years and he has yet to take advantage of the opportunities he's been given so that he stands out in at least one area whether it's offense or special teams. Players who take advantage of every opportunity get recognized and get a bigger share of playing time.

David Wilson came on the scene last year. He wasn't in the mix when Jernigan could have made a difference. Jernigan will play out his rookie contract, but his time is slowly running out, like Moss and Barden before him.

fansince69
07-04-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm saying Jernigan has been here three years and he has yet to take advantage of the opportunities he's been given so that he stands out in at least one area whether it's offense or special teams. Players who take advantage of every opportunity get recognized and get a bigger share of playing time.

David Wilson came on the scene last year. He wasn't in the mix when Jernigan could have made a difference. Jernigan will play out his rookie contract, but his time is slowly running out, like Moss and Barden before him.He has been here 2 years....actually 2 yrs is in august.....this is his 2nd full preseason

RoanokeFan
07-04-2013, 08:30 AM
He has been here 2 years....actually 2 yrs is in august.....this is his 2nd full preseason

He's now in his third year. He still needs to pick up his game. I acknowledge he's behind a of of players including Nicks and Cruz and he was a 3rd round pick in 2011 when he played in 8 games. In 2012, he played in 9 games. That's two full seasons with his third coming up.

It's not about how talented he is, it's about his production. So far, it's not been too noteworthy.

Every year we bring in more players at every position. Randle has eclipsed Jernigan and now we have Murphy in the mix to add to the competition. He needs to make a statement and get noticed somewhere.

fansince69
07-04-2013, 09:31 AM
He's now in his third year. He still needs to pick up his game. I acknowledge he's behind a of of players including Nicks and Cruz and he was a 3rd round pick in 2011 when he played in 8 games. In 2012, he played in 9 games. That's two full seasons with his third coming up.

It's not about how talented he is, it's about his production. So far, it's not been too noteworthy.

Every year we bring in more players at every position. Randle has eclipsed Jernigan and now we have Murphy in the mix to add to the competition. He needs to make a statement and get noticed somewhere.I guess we agree to disagree

RoanokeFan
07-04-2013, 09:37 AM
I guess we agree to disagree

What are we disagreeing about?

fansince69
07-04-2013, 09:54 AM
What are we disagreeing about?1ST ...randle has not passed JJ they play different positions.........2nd....to try to claim the 1st year he played... a full year is not at all accurate...he missed all of otas and most of camp because of the cba lockout....all time which benefits rookies more than vets....then once the season starts ...do you really think they are working with rookies? or how to win games during season........he was behind from the start that first year...I also do not believe that his talents can be showcased from a typical offense......Gilbride is going to have to find creative ways to use him........if he doesn't ...like so many of you claim he will be lost in the shuffle and then move on to a team that is creative enough to find ways to use him like minny did with harvin and green bay does with (drawing a blank on his name)he may not have quite the talent that those 2 do...but his skill set is very similar and gilbride needs to figure out how to get him in space and hes going to light it up

RoanokeFan
07-04-2013, 10:46 AM
1ST ...randle has not passed JJ they play different positions.........2nd....to try to claim the 1st year he played... a full year is not at all accurate...he missed all of otas and most of camp because of the cba lockout....all time which benefits rookies more than vets....then once the season starts ...do you really think they are working with rookies? or how to win games during season........he was behind from the start that first year...I also do not believe that his talents can be showcased from a typical offense......Gilbride is going to have to find creative ways to use him........if he doesn't ...like so many of you claim he will be lost in the shuffle and then move on to a team that is creative enough to find ways to use him like minny did with harvin and green bay does with (drawing a blank on his name)he may not have quite the talent that those 2 do...but his skill set is very similar and gilbride needs to figure out how to get him in space and hes going to light it up

I hope you're right, the more talented receivers we have the better. I am not sure it's up to Gilbride to change the playbook for Jernigan. But the more talent we have as starters, the harder it's going to be for backups to get playing time.

NYGabriel
07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
LOL. Comparing Jernigan with Harvin and Cobb. I've seen it all now. I'm sure Ramses Barden could have been as good as Calvin Johnson if only he was given the opportunity.

fansince69
07-04-2013, 11:53 AM
LOL. Comparing Jernigan with Harvin and Cobb. I've seen it all now. I'm sure Ramses Barden could have been as good as Calvin Johnson if only he was given the opportunity.yes you have and weather you want to admit it or not he is the same type player....I have seen it

NYGabriel
07-04-2013, 12:36 PM
yes you have and weather you want to admit it or not he is the same type player....I have seen it

He's short and quick. That's about the only comparison I can make at the moment considering Jernigan in 2 years has almost zero production on the NFL level. 3 receptions, 22 yards and 0 TD's as a receiver. There are tons of guys that could run a 4.3 that haven't produced in the league. Good measurables don't always equal a good football player.

Toadofsteel
07-04-2013, 12:48 PM
If the unthinkable happened to Cruz, I could still see him stepping in. He won't put up a 1500 yard season, but he could still make an important impact...

fansince69
07-04-2013, 01:12 PM
He's short and quick. That's about the only comparison I can make at the moment considering Jernigan in 2 years has almost zero production on the NFL level. 3 receptions, 22 yards and 0 TD's as a receiver. There are tons of guys that could run a 4.3 that haven't produced in the league. Good measurables don't always equal a good football player.your missing the point...I am not talking about measurable....I am talking about putting a guy in a position to succeed based on his skill set ...gilbride wants players that fit HIS system....jernnigan would flourish elsewhere mark my words....both gb and minn found ways to do that ...we haven't

B&RWarrior
07-04-2013, 01:18 PM
He won't have the job long if that's the case. Wilson is an available alternative and, while I would prefer Wilson just play on offense, I am also a big believer in field position and Wilson sure gives us that.

I don't want Wilson on kickoffs anymore. He's a starter now along with Brown in our 2 back system. Too risky for my blood, though like you I loved his performance.

I can't get what happened to Sehorn out of my head.

B&RWarrior
07-04-2013, 01:22 PM
JJ hasn't gotten the snaps, nor will he get the snaps to warrant a full assessment of his talent unless Cruz get's hurt. If he's good enough he should be able to get on the field as a 3rd receiver. He has the speed to stretch the field even though he's not that tall.

With the addition of Murphy and Randle it's going to be tough.

RoanokeFan
07-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't want Wilson on kickoffs anymore. He's a starter now along with Brown in our 2 back system. Too risky for my blood, though like you I loved his performance.

I can't get what happened to Sehorn out of my head.

I feel that way too about Wilson. If Jernigan could get a toe hold on returns, he adds to his value

Toadofsteel
07-04-2013, 01:43 PM
your missing the point...I am not talking about measurable....I am talking about putting a guy in a position to succeed based on his skill set ...gilbride wants players that fit HIS system....jernnigan would flourish elsewhere mark my words....both gb and minn found ways to do that ...we haven't

Is that why he wants RB that can run out of the shotgun so much?

gmen46
07-04-2013, 06:32 PM
1ST ...randle has not passed JJ they play different positions.........2nd....to try to claim the 1st year he played... a full year is not at all accurate...he missed all of otas and most of camp because of the cba lockout....all time which benefits rookies more than vets....then once the season starts ...do you really think they are working with rookies? or how to win games during season........he was behind from the start that first year...I also do not believe that his talents can be showcased from a typical offense......Gilbride is going to have to find creative ways to use him........if he doesn't ...like so many of you claim he will be lost in the shuffle and then move on to a team that is creative enough to find ways to use him like minny did with harvin and green bay does with (drawing a blank on his name)he may not have quite the talent that those 2 do...but his skill set is very similar and gilbride needs to figure out how to get him in space and hes going to light it up

So, to recap, the immensely talented Jernigan has done nothing for the Giants in 2 years so far because---

-he had no OTA's his rookie year (of course, no other 2011 rookie had OTA;s then, either---like Julio Jones, AJ Green, Cam Newton, for example, who all tore up the league in one fashion or another their respective rookie year)

-he was behind Cruz on the depth chart both his years, so did not have many opportunities at WR (even though Cruz entered 2011 with no reg season experience and did not become the Cruz we now know until he took advantage of an opportunity in Game 3 vs Eagles)

-he had only 1 kick return opportunity in 2012 (even though rookie Wilson wound up a league leader in returns his rookie year in 2012)

--and now Jernigan's lack of production after 2 full seasons (with no injuries to excuse him) is Gilbride's fault for not creating specific plays designed only for Jernigan and his apparently unique talents

--and to add injury to insult, Gilbride has been foaming at the mouth in his praise for Randle--not Jernigan-- after the 2013 OTAs and mini camp, as to how much he's improved as a leader of WR unit, his approach toward all the practices, and his improved attitude overall

Poor Jernigan. The kid just can't catch a break, can he?

What excuse can we come up with for 2014, after he's done nothing for us in 2013?

B&RWarrior
07-04-2013, 07:02 PM
So, to recap, the immensely talented Jernigan has done nothing for the Giants in 2 years so far because---

-he had no OTA's his rookie year (of course, no other 2011 rookie had OTA;s then, either---like Julio Jones, AJ Green, Cam Newton, for example, who all tore up the league in one fashion or another their respective rookie year)

-he was behind Cruz on the depth chart both his years, so did not have many opportunities at WR (even though Cruz entered 2011 with no reg season experience and did not become the Cruz we now know until he took advantage of an opportunity in Game 3 vs Eagles)

-he had only 1 kick return opportunity in 2012 (even though rookie Wilson wound up a league leader in returns his rookie year in 2012)

--and now Jernigan's lack of production after 2 full seasons (with no injuries to excuse him) is Gilbride's fault for not creating specific plays designed only for Jernigan and his apparently unique talents

--and to add injury to insult, Gilbride has been foaming at the mouth in his praise for Randle--not Jernigan-- after the 2013 OTAs and mini camp, as to how much he's improved as a leader of WR unit, his approach toward all the practices, and his improved attitude overall

Poor Jernigan. The kid just can't catch a break, can he?

What excuse can we come up with for 2014, after he's done nothing for us in 2013?

I tried to be fair and say he didn't get the snaps needed to improve and take on a bigger role. With Randle and Murphy I don't see how his snap count improves. He needs to make some plays on special teams then the coaching staff will look to get him on the field more as a receiver.

gmen46
07-04-2013, 10:24 PM
I tried to be fair and say he didn't get the snaps needed to improve and take on a bigger role. With Randle and Murphy I don't see how his snap count improves. He needs to make some plays on special teams then the coaching staff will look to get him on the field more as a receiver.

I couldn't agree with you more.

It's on special teams where he had the most opportunities (and highest expectations) his rookie year, and he disappointed. The fact that he disappointed was made obvious by the fact that he had fewer opportunities on ST his 2nd year.

All that "he's behind Cruz, so has had no opps" and "Gilbride doesn't know how to use him" --both of which is referred to all the time by his GMB promoters--is all irrelevant nonsense. Total crap.

Not only is it a known fact by all Giants fans that --with very few exceptions, like an Eli or Nicks maybe--the value and productiveness of rookies and often 2nd year players is expected and measured by their contribution on special teams. Add to that the fact that it was stated on draft day by Reese (and maybe Coughlin, too) one of the primary reasons they drafted him was--in addition to being a potential receiving threat eventually--for his return ability, which they expected he would contribute immediately. And, unlike a WR, a consistently effective and explosive returner does not require a full off season of getting the timing right with his QB. He either has it (like Wilson last year, and Tiki his first year or two, and like Toomer for his first couple years), or he doesn't.

As you say, since he has not had--and likely will not have--many WR opportunities anytime soon, he must show something on special teams. And soon. So far, in 2 full seasons he has a 60 yard return --in a game that Wilson had already gutted Saints' special teams for a couple hundred yards.

GameTime
07-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Jernnigan will get his opportunities this camp. He will either impress or not......

pretty simple

giantsfan420
07-04-2013, 10:27 PM
I couldn't agree with you more.

It's on special teams where he had the most opportunities (and highest expectations) his rookie year, and he disappointed. The fact that he disappointed was made obvious by the fact that he had fewer opportunities on ST his 2nd year.

All that "he's behind Cruz, so has had no opps" and "Gilbride doesn't know how to use him" --both of which is referred to all the time by his GMB promoters--is all irrelevant nonsense. Total crap.

Not only is it a known fact by all Giants fans that --with very few exceptions, like an Eli or Nicks maybe--the value and productiveness of rookies and often 2nd year players is expected and measured by their contribution on special teams. Add to that the fact that it was stated on draft day by Reese (and maybe Coughlin, too) one of the primary reasons they drafted him was--in addition to being a potential receiving threat eventually--for his return ability, which they expected he would contribute immediately. And, unlike a WR, a consistently effective and explosive returner does not require a full off season of getting the timing right with his QB. He either has it (like Wilson last year, and Tiki his first year or two, and like Toomer for his first couple years), or he doesn't.

As you say, since he has not had--and likely will not have--many WR opportunities anytime soon, he must show something on special teams. And soon. So far, in 2 full seasons he has a 60 yard return --in a game that Wilson had already gutted Saints' special teams for a couple hundred yards.he had 1 KR attempt last yr and it went for 60...?

gmen46
07-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Jernnigan will get his opportunities this camp. He will either impress or not......

pretty simple

You're correct. He won't. Simple.

gmen46
07-04-2013, 11:44 PM
he had 1 KR attempt last yr and it went for 60...?

According to the OP article he had 1 in 2012. I didn't look it up to verify if it was only 1, but it sounds right. That big one vs Saints.

Sovereign
07-05-2013, 04:24 AM
You're correct. He won't. Simple.

lol