PDA

View Full Version : How Should The Giants Handle Hakeem Nicks' Contract After Victor Cruz Gets A Deal?

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 05:39 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/07/how_should_the_giants_handle_hakeem_nicks_contract _after_victor_cruz_gets_a_deal.html

Excerpt: "Finally: it sounds as if Victor Cruz will soon get the long-term deal he's been waiting for. The noise you hear? A collective sigh of relief from Giants fans.

Despite the fact that it will bring the wideout back to Big Blue when training camp begins, it may cause a ripple effect with Hakeem Nicks, who missed much of OTAs and finally showed up for a mandatory minicamp. Though he didn't clearly say what caused the absence, it sounds like he's looking for the kind of long-term contract Cruz received. As The Star-Ledger's Dave Hutchinson wrote (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/07/giants_victor_cruz_appear_on_track_for_long-term_deal.html), "Satisfying Cruz is only half the equation for the Giants and their young receiving tandem, which also includes Hakeem Nicks, who's making $2.725 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract." Read more...

Eliscruzzz
07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Pay him lol...

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Pay him lol...

You might want to flesh that out a little :cool:

Rat_bastich
07-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Truthfully, I don't really care. That is their problem, my concern is that he plays. I guess that is it in a nutshell. <-----I'm going to go the detached fan route.

Or simply, just make it happen.

jomo
07-03-2013, 06:51 PM
The truth is it comes down to how much we can afford to commit to the WR position and where our other cap problems are. I think that Nicks at his best is more valuable than Cruz at his best but none of that matters if it doesn't all work back to the cap. I trust JR to figure that all out.

NYGabriel
07-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Give Nicks $10m a year.

fletch842
07-03-2013, 07:55 PM
I think it bodes well. If we had to go into next FA period needing to sign both of them, one or the other would not be returning. I think the Nicks negotiations will largely depend on how healthy he stays this season.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 07:59 PM
The truth is it comes down to how much we can afford to commit to the WR position and where our other cap problems are. I think that Nicks at his best is more valuable than Cruz at his best but none of that matters if it doesn't all work back to the cap. I trust JR to figure that all out.

They do have the franchise tag to employ if that becomes necessary.

jomo
07-03-2013, 08:02 PM
They do have the franchise tag to employ if that becomes necessary.Yes but that # may be more than works with our needs next year. We'll see how this plays out. It will be interesting.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Yes but that # may be more than works with our needs next year. We'll see how this plays out. It will be interesting.

I think it will be around $11M

NYGabriel
07-03-2013, 08:21 PM
They do have the franchise tag to employ if that becomes necessary.

The Giants have used the tag twice since 2007. Once on The Tiptoe Bandit, who then signed a long term deal the same week, and then on Weatherford who also signed a long term deal. I don't think they'll use it on Nicks. If he doesn't want to sign the contract cut bait.

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 08:23 PM
The Giants have used the tag twice since 2007. Once on The Tiptoe Bandit, who then signed a long term deal the same week, and then on Weatherford who also signed a long term deal. I don't think they'll use it on Nicks. If he doesn't want to sign the contract cut bait.

It will depend a lot on his performance and durability this season. As they did with Jacobs, they could use it to clear competition while hammering out a long term deal.

byron
07-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I think its a wait and see kind of thing... a lot can happen between now and next year

RoanokeFan
07-03-2013, 10:21 PM
I think its a wait and see kind of thing... a lot can happen between now and next year

Waiting is in Nicks' favor

danme
07-03-2013, 11:14 PM
I think Nicks will sign for around 10 to 11 million. With that said and all things being equal, IMOVHO Cruz would be the more difficult Receiver to replace. Every team in the NFL has a Nicks Type Receiver being a receiver that is big and can move the chains and catch the deep ball. A receiver that for the most part can use his strength and size to his advantage. Not every team or better yet few teams have a "SLOT" receiver with the Skill Set of Victor Cruz. A guy that can and has proven to be as effective on the outside as any receiver in the NFL, but is shifty and smart enough to move inside and make big plays out of the short and intermediate passes. the Giants made the right move with signing Cruz :cool: Peace Dan

giantsfan420
07-04-2013, 12:06 AM
this is the question isnt it? (the title) I personally would offer nicks maybe 2 mil at most more than cruz with similar guaranteed money and length and i'd offer it by week 12. then id negotiate it hoping he wouldnt be a **** and just want to test FA bc if he gets to FA, hes gone.

RoanokeFan
07-04-2013, 12:56 AM
this is the question isnt it? (the title) I personally would offer nicks maybe 2 mil at most more than cruz with similar guaranteed money and length and i'd offer it by week 12. then id negotiate it hoping he wouldnt be a **** and just want to test FA bc if he gets to FA, hes gone.

If Nicks misses games and Cruz is Eli's most productive receiver for the third year in a row, Reese may not feel obligated to get into a bidding war IF Randle has shown he can handle the outside.

embeshAtYa
07-04-2013, 10:34 AM
I say if he cant be healthy and put in a solid year, send him sailing

RoanokeFan
07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I say if he cant be healthy and put in a solid year, send him sailing

I wouldn't go that far, but he does have to put in a solid year