PDA

View Full Version : Giants top 5 overrated/underrated players

Toadofsteel
07-04-2013, 06:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000212159/article/new-york-giants-alltime-underrated-overrated-players

Not the same thing as that Gifford/Tiki video... in fact, Gifford and Tiki aren't even mentioned.

Overall, I can get behind this list. I especially like the nod to Joe Morrison, who was basically the Jamaal Charles of the 1960s/70s. I'm not so sure that Jacobs belongs on the list of overrated (he did have a couple 1000 yard seasons), especially since his treatment by Jim Harbaugh is what led him to lash out in SF, but I'm willing to allow it, though I'd rather put a guy like Wheatley (although since most of us hate him already you can't really call him overrated) or Simms (who had one super exceptional game that happened to be a super bowl, and later watched as his freaking backup won another) as a #4 or #5 overrated...

PS: I'll take bets on how long it's going to take for Morehead to post "I have a serious problem with this list"...

BlueSanta
07-04-2013, 06:36 PM
It's an ok list imho. I do not think Dayne belongs on the "overrated" list simply because I do not know any Giant fan that remembers him fondly. How can a guy who is generally considered a dud also be considered overrated?

Your mention of Simms is way off too. I understand you don't like him and you have made that clear in other threads. But, overrated? No. He played in an era that didn't pass the ball much, for a team with bad WRs, for a ball control/ defensive coach, in a stadium that was the most difficult stadium in the NFL to throw the ball (old Giants stadium) and he still put up some pretty good numbers. I do not think he belongs in the hall as a player, but he was a very good NFL QB and a perfect fit for what we did under Parcells.

YATittle1962
07-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I definitely see nothing wrong with that list.

I would have added Rich Seubert to the underrated list

I love that Joe Morrison is on there......he in my opinion is the greatest Giant of all time and an unsung hero.

he lined up anywhere and everywhere on the field ...offense , defense and special teams ...... played his tail off every snap of every game

he was a complete team guy ...never said a word.....ever!!!!....and gave the NY Giants every ounce of his blood sweat and tears for 14 seasons and never wore another uniform

....and you wanna talk about tough????......look no further than Joe....the toughest SOB to ever come down the pike ......book it ....tough as a bucket of rusty nails I promise you that ....but quiet as a mouse

they just don't make 'em like Joe anymore

the epitome of what a NY Giant should be

the Greatest Giant ever

Shockeystays08
07-04-2013, 07:48 PM

I love that Joe Morrison is on there......he in my opinion is the greatest Giant of all time and an unsung hero.

he lined up anywhere and everywhere on the field ...offense , defense and special teams ...... played his tail off every snap of every game

he was a complete team guy ...never said a word.....ever!!!!....and gave the NY Giants every ounce of his blood sweat and tears for 14 seasons and never wore another uniform

....and you wanna talk about tough????......look no further than Joe....the toughest SOB to ever come down the pike ......book it ....tough as a bucket of rusty nails I promise you that ....but quiet as a mouse

the Greatest Giant ever

Great description of a great Giant!

jomo
07-04-2013, 08:10 PM

the Greatest Giant everI have heard you speak in glowing terms about Morrison in the past and agreed with every word.

chasjay
07-04-2013, 08:12 PM
When I was looking at the Frank/Tiki thread, my old mind went right by Joe Morrison when thinking about the underrated players. YA..62 nailed it.

jomo
07-04-2013, 08:14 PM
I disagree that Chase is underrated. I think most of us believe that he gets the most out of his God given talent and he served us well while he was here. That said, it is not just the Giants who think he's ordinary. The entire league feels that way and it was reflected in the contract he just signed. I don't want to diminish a good guy in any way but I think most of us have him rated just about right which is right smack in the middle of "ordinary."

giantsfan420
07-04-2013, 09:16 PM
well to be fair, if you look at articles on overrated giants players, and overrated players all time, Simms is usually on the list, just to be brutally honest. Its something I noticed but didnt want to say bc i disagree with that premise he was overrated. it just seems to be an opinion others share for whatever reason

fansince69
07-04-2013, 09:42 PM

the Greatest Giant everI got to watch him for the last couple yrs of his career....My father used to tell me how great he was....thanks YA for helping me to see that maybe after all these years that my father did know what he was talking about...

Astorian
07-04-2013, 10:09 PM

the Greatest Giant everAgree completely. There has never been a player as versatile as Joe Morrison. The only positions I don't recall him playing (and playing well) are Offensive and Defensive Line, Punter, and Place Kicker. Also Long Snapper, but I bet he could have handled it just fine.

YATittle1962
07-04-2013, 10:36 PM
I got to watch him for the last couple yrs of his career....My father used to tell me how great he was....thanks YA for helping me to see that maybe after all these years that my father did know what he was talking about...

your old man knew what he was talking about

Joe was a great college coach as well......I can still see him on the sidelines in all black

he even had his teams wear black

I'm pretty sure he is the reason that black jerseys are popular in todays college game ....Joe was the first to do it

Roosevelt
07-04-2013, 11:37 PM
well to be fair, if you look at articles on overrated giants players, and overrated players all time, Simms is usually on the list, just to be brutally honest. Its something I noticed but didnt want to say bc i disagree with that premise he was overrated. it just seems to be an opinion others share for whatever reason

Besides talk of the clueless, please LINK to those articles you are referring to. Thanks.

gumby74
07-04-2013, 11:42 PM
OJ Anderson? Sorry, but he was garbage. He was great for us because he would get a solid 3 yards every carry, but he wasn't anything special. When he was on the Cardinals, different story. He'd get 1k yards because he's carry it a million times a game.

jomo
07-04-2013, 11:54 PM
OK, so I went back and read this article and the author really was talking about the 5 ALLTIME most underrated and overrated players. He said that Chase Blackburn is one of the ALLTIME most underrated Giants. And I say............this author has no credibility. Plain and simple, alltime has nothing to do with this week. The rest of the discussion on this thread is interesting and useful but the author of this article..................whatever...............I am in a kind and generous mood tonight.

Delicreep
07-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Back in the day...my then girlfriend's son would ask me to play video games with him, I think it was on a Sega Genesis.

I of course always played as the Giants, and quickly found if you put Megget in the backfield and ran sweeps, you were damn hard to beat.

The guy could fly in real life and in a video game!

Fun Fact: Delicreep has not played a video game since then!

GameTime
07-05-2013, 08:40 PM
OJ Anderson? Sorry, but he was garbage. He was great for us because he would get a solid 3 yards every carry, but he wasn't anything special. When he was on the Cardinals, different story. He'd get 1k yards because he's carry it a million times a game.
you use the word "garbage" often to describe players. OJ Anderson was not garbage....not one bit.

NYG 5
07-05-2013, 09:13 PM
i think Ike Hilliard was a pretty underrated guy. he was Cruz before the NFL became flag football

gumby74
07-05-2013, 09:52 PM
you use the word "garbage" often to describe players. OJ Anderson was not garbage....not one bit. Ok. He was average but not nearly as great as everyone thought he was for the Giants.

Toadofsteel
07-05-2013, 10:29 PM

the Greatest Giant ever

I honestly do like it when players are willing to play anywhere they're asked to... you just don't see that anymore. True, part of that is due to positions in the modern NFL being so specialized that converting from one position to another in the same unit takes a season to adjust properly, but part of that is also due to player pride... It's when players swallow that pride and agree to a position change that I can truly gain respect for them. Look at Rolle playing nickel corner, Kiwi switching between DE and OLB, and yes, even Diehl playing wherever he's asked to on the OL. Maybe not much left in the tank physically in that last one, but I for one cannot question his character.

LayLow
07-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Eli leads the way with 68%,while Joe has 4%. SMH. Kinda silly being Eli is far from "underrated".

Toadofsteel
07-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Eli leads the way with 68%,while Joe has 4%. SMH. Kinda silly being Eli is far from "underrated".

I disagree in that I think Eli is still underrated (2 super bowl MVPs and yet in some circles is considered worse than Matt Ryan), but agree that Joe should have been by far the most underrated Giant ever. Maybe one of the greatest unsung heroes of the league.

BlueSanta
07-05-2013, 10:43 PM
you use the word "garbage" often to describe players. OJ Anderson was not garbage....not one bit.

could not agree more.

As a Giant fan, I too kinda sneered at that sentence. I do not see how anyone who saw or experienced the 1990 Superbowl, can call OJ Anderson "garbage", and still call himself a Giants fan.

I can understand saying his career with the Giants may fall into the "overrated" category but that is completely different from calling the guy "garbage."

Toadofsteel
07-05-2013, 10:50 PM
could not agree more.

As a Giant fan, I too kinda sneered at that sentence. I do not see how anyone who saw or experienced the 1990 Superbowl, can call OJ Anderson "garbage", and still call himself a Giants fan.

I can understand saying his career with the Giants may fall into the "overrated" category but that is completely different from calling the guy "garbage."

If anyone actually thinks he's garbage, someone should direct that person to the 1990 america's game...

LayLow
07-05-2013, 10:52 PM

the Greatest Giant ever Morrison is so underrated,he got a lack of acknowledgement on the votes

LayLow
07-05-2013, 11:03 PM
I disagree in that I think Eli is still underrated (2 super bowl MVPs and yet in some circles is considered worse than Matt Ryan), but agree that Joe should have been by far the most underrated Giant ever. Maybe one of the greatest unsung heroes of the league. Of course he has doubters,but overall I think a majority of people realize what Eli is worth and give him his props and recognition.

Flip Empty
07-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Hmm, disagree with the Blackburn nod. Crucial player for that SB run, sure, but to me that performance gets offset by the vast expanse of average he delivered outside it. Good player in spots, but that's about it. I do like him, though.

Definitely agree with Eli being underrated. It often seems like non Giants fans appreciate him more than actual ones do. It's very strange; the guy is great.

Can't comment on Meggett, Morrison or Anderson as I never saw them play.

gumby74
07-06-2013, 12:32 PM
could not agree more.

OJ wasn't anything special. He was on the decline. We'd hand it off to him a million times a game for 3 yards a carry. He'd see the whole, make one move and plow forward. Garbage might be over stating it a bit as he did what we expected him to do, but he certainly wasn't great or even a good RB. He made plays for us in the SB for sure, but that doesn't elevate his status on how good a RB he actually was - post St Louis.

giants_rock
07-06-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm an Eli fan but don't agree with the statement "Hands down, Manning is the greatest New York Giants quarterback ever.". Charlie Conerly, YA Title, Fran Tarkington, and Phil Simms can't be dismissed that easily. Eli is playing in a pass friendly league and has had very good receivers during his tenure with the giants (especially when compared to Simms).

GameTime
07-07-2013, 11:26 AM
OJ wasn't anything special. He was on the decline. We'd hand it off to him a million times a game for 3 yards a carry. He'd see the whole, make one move and plow forward. Garbage might be over stating it a bit as he did what we expected him to do, but he certainly wasn't great or even a good RB. He made plays for us in the SB for sure, but that doesn't elevate his status on how good a RB he actually was - post St Louis.
much more then just shortyardage and goal line for his time at the Giants. True is better years were in St. Louis but HE WAS A GOOD TO VERY GOOD RB in his time with the Giants......see below........

Injuries drastically decreased the number of games Anderson played each season, and his explosiveness as a tailback. After a year and a half, Stump Mitchell emerged as the Cards' top running back, and the expendable Anderson was traded to the New York Giants in the middle of the 1986 season.[1] He ended up deep in the Giants' depth chart. By this time in his career, it was clear that he was better used in goal line or short yardage situations. Anderson would rush for only six yards on seven carries in the 1986 playoffs, but did score a rushing touchdown in the Giants' victory over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXI.

In his first two and a half seasons with New York, Anderson did not fumble once in his 100 offensive touches. In 1989, Anderson become the top running back for Bill Parcells' ball control offense and was named NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He scored a career high 14 rushing touchdowns, and rushed for 1,023 yards on 325 carries. He was also the top running back for the Giants the following year, when they won Super Bowl XXV, and was named Super Bowl MVP for his 102 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries. As a testament to the Giants' ball control strategy, their time of possession was double that of the Buffalo Bills, their opponents, in the first Super Bowl without a turnover. Anderson is one of only four running backs in NFL history to score rushing touchdowns in two Super Bowls and win Super Bowl MVP (only Franco Harris and John Riggins accomplished this feat before Anderson, and only Emmitt Smith has achieved it since).

Anderson was replaced by Rodney Hampton in 1991. His last season was 1992. Anderson fumbled just three times in 739 touches as a Giant, from 1987-1992.

When he retired, Anderson ranked seventh in rushing TDs and eighth in rushing yards. At the end of the 2005 season, Anderson was ranked 14th in career rushing touchdowns and is one of 22 running backs in the history of the NFL to rush for more than 10,000 yards.[1]

keyofgmen
07-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Agree with Morrison. OJ really only had a couple of good years with Giants, so don't think he belongs on the list ( I still equate him with Cards somehow).

Rodney Hampton might belong instead! He was under appreciated.

gmen46
07-07-2013, 03:29 PM

You don't read "Eli" or "QB" threads on this board much, do you?

Drez
07-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Hmm, disagree with the Blackburn nod. Crucial player for that SB run, sure, but to me that performance gets offset by the vast expanse of average he delivered outside it. Good player in spots, but that's about it. I do like him, though.

Definitely agree with Eli being underrated. It often seems like non Giants fans appreciate him more than actual ones do. It's very strange; the guy is great.

Can't comment on Meggett, Morrison or Anderson as I never saw them play.Meggett was an excellent 3rd down back and returner. Never saw Morrison, either. Anderson was a very solid player for us, but his best years were definitely behind him by the time he was a Giant.

giantsfan420
07-07-2013, 04:12 PM
megget strikes me as being underrated, but i dunno if itd be more correct to say he was overrated.

he was a tremendous scat back, and, he could change momentum with one play. but, he was just a scat back. i remember growin up he was always one of my fav players, always. and he def helped contribute to the success, but he did so in the role player type ways, like ST or a big play on a 3rd down. He wasnt this every down dominant player by any stretch of the imagination. and he really was suited for specific situations. so meggets a tough one, id say underrated bc of all the above, i think he doesnt get any respect outside giants fans

Toadofsteel
07-07-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm an Eli fan but don't agree with the statement "Hands down, Manning is the greatest New York Giants quarterback ever.". Charlie Conerly, YA Title, Fran Tarkington, and Phil Simms can't be dismissed that easily. Eli is playing in a pass friendly league and has had very good receivers during his tenure with the giants (especially when compared to Simms).

I wasn't around for the Conerly, Tittle, or Tarkenton days, but Simms had Bavaro. That's like having the love child of Gronk and Witten...

Not a knock on Simms when compared to what Eli has, but to say he had nothing is kinda pushing it a little...

As for a more concrete fact, there's the point that Eli won his two super bowls with 100% turnover at WR and TE. The only consistency he had was Snee, Jacobs, and Bradshaw... also a declining Diehl and MacKenzie.