PDA

View Full Version : Prince Amukamara: Heir To The Throne In 2013?

RoanokeFan
07-05-2013, 12:21 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/7/5/4494968/new-york-giants-2013-prince-amukamara-fil-breakdown-darrelle-revis

Excerpt: "Prince Amukamara says he wants to be the best corner in the NFL. Which In turn places lofty expectations upon himself. We hit the film room to truly see if he has what it takes to meet those expectations. All aboard for Uptown's film school.

For New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) cornerback Prince Amukamara (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/130895/prince-amukamara), the 2013 season is a bit of a show and prove year. Inconsistencies in his play, and frequent trips to the training room have marred the beginning of what some once predicted would be a multiple time all-pro career. The Giants are reliant upon Amukamara's progression to return to the seemingly inimitable defense they once were. We hit Uptown's film school to truly see if Prince has what it takes to be the heir apparent.If most scouts were able to construct the perfect cornerback, the prototype could certainly resemble Amukamara. At 6-foot, 207 pounds Amukamara might be the perfect blend of height, weight, and speed. His 4.4 in 40-yard dash only serves to further illustrate that point. A first-round selection in the 2011 draft, Amukamara is a precise blend of physicality and polished technique.

I first saw Prince play his sophomore year at Nebraska circa 2008. He was extremely raw, and full of untapped potential as a cornerback prospect. One full season under acclaimed coach Bo Pelini changed the fortune of Prince for the better.

The 2009 season marked the coming out party for Prince and the rest of the Nebraska Cornhuskers. Led by all-world defensive tackle, Ndamukong Suh (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108653/ndamukong-suh), the Cornhuskers rode the back of a stifling defense all the way to an appearance in the Big 12 championship game. With the pressure the Cornhuskers were able to generate from the front seven, Amukamara benefitted in a major way. His 64 tackles, five interceptions, 11 passes defensed and two sacks notched him a first-team All-Big 12 selection. The following season, despite not recording an interception, Amukamara was selected as the Big 12's defensive player of the year. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Prince would be a very high selection in the 2011 draft.

Amukamara's pro career got off to an extremely slow start. Part of the rookie class that didn't have a true offseason due to the NFL's lockout, Amukamara was hurt on the first day of training camp - and never seemed to truly get on track. Despite the setbacks, Amukamara's talent was clearly evident as he showed flashes of what made him a first-round draft pick. Playing in only seven games, most considered Prince's first season a wash. Fortunately, Prince didn't need to be a knight in shining armor as the 2011 Giants found their groove in the playoffs, and rode that magic all the way to a Super Bowl (http://www.sbnation.com/super-bowl)victory!" Read more...

giantsfan420
07-05-2013, 12:51 PM
i've said it before, i'll say it again, Prince has the potential to actually be the best corner in the league. he has the size/speed/skill set as alluded by the article above.

i also have said it before and will again, if i had to pick one corner that I felt could play at a similar level to Revis, it'd be Prince. He may have as good mirroring ability as any corner in the league. he has tremendous closing speed. from a stand still position, he can get a hand on a pass thrown within 15 ft of him solely bc of how explosive he is. he can play at the line, or in off technique.

he just has to put in the mental work that guys like revis put in. revis has spoken about how studying his opponents is his secret to success almost. he studies his opponents so thoroughly, he knows the route they will run solely by what kinda first step is taken off the LOS, the depth of the players route, where he's lined up, etc etc etc. Combine that with Revis's ability to mirror WR's downfield and its why he may be one of the greatest corners all time.

WHile its a homerish thing to imply Prince can reach that plateau, I truly do believe he can. the first and foremost necessary ability in my eyes is that ability to mirror wr's. if a guy has that, he can be special if other aspects of his game are focused on until it reaches the heights of his physical ability.

edit-i mean, some of the play Prince has given us has been all world. the SB run in 2011, he basically was a shut down corner. Parts of 2012, he was completely dominating his responsibility and iirc, didnt even allow a TD until week like 15 if at all...

Burn
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm not worried about Prince at all, now the guy that plays opposite him, well that's a completely different story.

giantscolombia
07-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Dude!!! I had no idea Prince was 6' tall. I thought he was like 5'7'' or something like that!
Is it just me or does he look small... I'm not trying to clown him or anything.

http://cdn2.hauteliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/NFL-player-Ahmad-Bradshaw-Olympian-LaShawn-Merritt-and-Prince-Amukamara-.jpg

He is our most solid corner. I think he needs to be placed on the number 1. The only way he is going to get better and maybe soothe the burn caused by the Toaster last year. I hope he remains a Giant for ever... Prince is a beast!!!

Ntegrase96
07-05-2013, 01:32 PM
He's a very good player, but I don't believe he's the heir to the thrown as the article implies. Nothing wrong with Prince, I think he is and will be a very good, multiple all pro player, but there are a few more young guys than just Amukamara that could unseat Revis as the best and there are a few veterans that are top 5 material that just don't get the headlines.

I don't doubt his potential of being great, but it's a very tough thing to predict. There are few guys with better physical traits, but it's all about how it actually plays out on the field-- and maybe more importantly to the perception of being Revis like, the hype that he gets from the media.

blue_truth
07-05-2013, 01:47 PM
If prince had more interceptions he would already be considered one of the best.

TheAnalyst
07-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Prince is going to shut down Dez week 1.

Delicreep
07-05-2013, 07:58 PM
He's a very good player, but I don't believe he's the heir to the thrown as the article implies. Nothing wrong with Prince, I think he is and will be a very good, multiple all pro player, but there are a few more young guys than just Amukamara that could unseat Revis as the best and there are a few veterans that are top 5 material that just don't get the headlines.

I don't doubt his potential of being great, but it's a very tough thing to predict. There are few guys with better physical traits, but it's all about how it actually plays out on the field-- and maybe more importantly to the perception of being Revis like, the hype that he gets from the media.

Pretty well nailed it.

Eliscruzzz
07-05-2013, 08:05 PM

I don't doubt his potential of being great, but it's a very tough thing to predict. There are few guys with better physical traits, but it's all about how it actually plays out on the field-- and maybe more importantly to the perception of being Revis like, the hype that he gets from the media.I agree with most of what you said except the part about the media hype. I always hear them say that he needs to step up and play like a 1st round pick. Which I thought he did last year.

penguinfarmer
07-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Dude!!! I had no idea Prince was 6' tall. I thought he was like 5'7'' or something like that!
Is it just me or does he look small... I'm not trying to clown him or anything.

It's his build. He's very stocky at his lower body compared to other DBs given he was a former running back beforehand. You can even see the way he moves on the field that he was a former RB. His turns aren't smooth and transitional, but rather sharp and quick.

Toadofsteel
07-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Prince is going to shut down Dez week 1.

That's what he did last year week 1... until he got hurt. Unfortunately, having C Toaster across from him allowed Austin and that other guy named Ogletree to run rampant. And then Coe was injured and we turned to Tryon (who should have been classified as a FB rather than a CB to be completely honest)...

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 12:10 AM
lmao well said toad

tonyt830
07-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Hopefully Prince will continue to improve and become a top 5 to 10 corner in the league. The lockout and injury in his rookie year slowed him some. I wont put him in the same sentence as Revis right now, that is unfair to him at this point in his career.