PDA

View Full Version : Tiki says Giants RB's need to get over fear of blocking

Harooni
07-06-2013, 01:41 AM
“There’s two reasons why,” Barber said. “You don’t know how to do it and you are scared to do it. Unlike in college where you have smaller linebackers who are really designed to drop in the zone and cover wide receivers in the slot, in the NFL you get these linebackers who are 250 pounds and can do those things, as well. It is intimidating when you give up 50 pounds to a guy.”

Wilson showed a lot of promise with the ball in his hands last year, but the Giants hesitated to use him as their No. 1 running back in part because he hadn’t proven he could protect Eli Manning. Barber said that Wilson can become a “fantastic” all-around player if he figures out how to put it all together.

i think he brings up a good point, i only wish TC would forgive and talk to tiki again and maybe tiki can come in and show Wilson some things. maybe how to hold his balls the right way also.

tonyt830
07-06-2013, 01:58 AM
“There’s two reasons why,” Barber said. “You don’t know how to do it and you are scared to do it. Unlike in college where you have smaller linebackers who are really designed to drop in the zone and cover wide receivers in the slot, in the NFL you get these linebackers who are 250 pounds and can do those things, as well. It is intimidating when you give up 50 pounds to a guy.”

Wilson showed a lot of promise with the ball in his hands last year, but the Giants hesitated to use him as their No. 1 running back in part because he hadn’t proven he could protect Eli Manning. Barber said that Wilson can become a “fantastic” all-around player if he figures out how to put it all together.

i think he brings up a good point, i only wish TC would forgive and talk to tiki again and maybe tiki can come in and show Wilson some things. maybe how to hold his balls the right way also.I hear ya Harooni, but shouldnt the current coaching staff be the one to coach up and teach Wilson? Who knows, maybe Tiki could be the Giants future RBs coach. I know you would be one to lobby for him.

BigBlue1971
07-06-2013, 02:19 AM
I realize Tiki was a great on the field guy for us and knows the basics of a pro running back but I doubt he has enough clout with the Giants to know how far along Wilson is.

the coaches aren't sitting around waiting for Wilson to learn they are in his *** every day teaching the aspects of his job.

Wilson is probably further along than Tiki thinks he is.

gmen0820
07-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Wilson will develop into an awesome pass protector. That guy has so much heart and soul, and his physicality shows when he runs. The mental aspect of pass blocking won't be a problem for him, and Coach Ingram will teach him the physical part.

Wilson has Giants Ring of Fame written all over him. I just hope he stays healthy.

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 02:34 AM
Wilson will develop into an awesome pass protector. That guy has so much heart and soul, and his physicality shows when he runs. The mental aspect of pass blocking won't be a problem for him, and Coach Ingram will teach him the physical part.

Wilson has Giants Ring of Fame written all over him. I just hope he stays healthy.couldnt agree more...and alls right with the world again.

but kiddin aside. I think he could be fairly considered a top back by years end.

gmen0820
07-06-2013, 02:38 AM
couldnt agree more...and alls right with the world again.

but kiddin aside. I think he could be fairly considered a top back by years end.Lol. Yeah, I don't see anything in Wilson's game to suggest that he'll shy away from the physical nature of pass pro. Just from what I've seen, he's tough as nails, and extremely passionate.

With his raw abilities, work ethic, and the balls-to-the-wall coaching Coughlin's gonna send his way, this kid's gonna be a star if he can avoid the injury bug.

BeatYale
07-06-2013, 02:50 AM
Just because someone had success as a player doesn't mean they are going to be better at coaching and training other players. Tiki isn't the solution. I know you don't like hearing that because you're in love with him. Get over him bro.

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Lol. Yeah, I don't see anything in Wilson's game to suggest that he'll shy away from the physical nature of pass pro. Just from what I've seen, he's tough as nails, and extremely passionate.

With his raw abilities, work ethic, and the balls-to-the-wall coaching Coughlin's gonna send his way, this kid's gonna be a star if he can avoid the injury bug.

so stoked to see him this season

penguinfarmer
07-06-2013, 06:20 AM
I got through the whole post with so much hope for a brighter outlook for you...

... and then I got to the final sentence. lol

OX1
07-06-2013, 06:56 AM
When your RB's have to darn near play an O- linemen, its time to fix that O-line or design more plays
to get the ball out quicker and make the rushers pay.

M00KIE
07-06-2013, 07:22 AM
Sooo he stated the obvious then...? No kidding he needs to learn to block Tiki, thanks for that nugget of genius.

Buddy333
07-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Why does he have to be scared? Maybe he is just not good at it. Not saying he can't learn.

GameTime
07-06-2013, 09:28 AM
ehh....Tiki knows about blocking but he is not needed....

gmen46
07-06-2013, 02:18 PM

i think he brings up a good point, i only wish TC would forgive and talk to tiki again and maybe tiki can come in and show Wilson some things. maybe how to hold his balls the right way also.

What the hell is he talking about?

Sure, Giants were 14th in total rushing yards last year.

But they were 23rd in rush attempts. In spite of much fewer attempts than 22 other teams, Giants were--

----7th in yds/carry (4.6)

----6th in 1st dwn conversion rush att

----5th in rush TDs

---9th (T) in explosive runs (13 plays of 20+ yds

What's that tell us? It tells us that with far fewer rush attempts than most of the league, Giants were in top 9 in point of attack rushing.

And, oh by the way, Giants were 1st in allowing fewest (20) sacks.

Of course there are several factors in addition to the blocking of the OL that these rushing and passing attempt stats can be attributed to (like Giants were 21st in drop backs, in addition to 23rd in rush attempts), but the fact is that a team's OL collectively and individually is evaluated to a large degree in the point of attack in the rush game as well as in preventing sacks in the passing game. In spite of the Giants fans favorite sport of Giants OL-bashing (with extra points given for Diehl-bashing), the Giants OL overall performance was in the top third (ie, top 10 or 11) of the league in 2012.

Tiki's remarks--not surprisingly--about last season's OL show yet again his arrogance, insensitivity, hubris when talking about his only NFL team.

It should come as no secret that nearly all the Giants' problems last year were due to severe inconsistencies on the part of Eli game-to-game (he had a few great games and too many terrible games in the same season) and on the part of the defense. Not so much the OL.

Delicreep
07-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Joking aside...it's a little sad that the organization hasn't reached out to this guy to help patch up his relationship with a certain percentage of fans.

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 02:55 PM

But they were 23rd in rush attempts. In spite of much fewer attempts than 22 other teams, Giants were--

----5th in rush TDs

What's that tell us? It tells us that with far fewer rush attempts than most of the league, Giants were in top 9 in point of attack rushing.

Of course there are several factors in addition to the blocking of the OL that these rushing and passing attempt stats can be attributed to (like Giants were 21st in drop backs, in addition to 23rd in rush attempts), but the fact is that a team's OL collectively and individually is evaluated to a large degree in the point of attack in the rush game as well as in preventing sacks in the passing game. In spite of the Giants fans favorite sport of Giants OL-bashing (with extra points given for Diehl-bashing), the Giants OL overall performance was in the top third (ie, top 10 or 11) of the league in 2012.

Tiki's remarks--not surprisingly--about last season's OL show yet again his arrogance, insensitivity, hubris when talking about his only NFL team.

It should come as no secret that nearly all the Giants' problems last year were due to severe inconsistencies on the part of Eli game-to-game (he had a few great games and too many terrible games in the same season) and on the part of the defense. Not so much the OL.good post, and what u say is true.

but i dont know if individual play will show up in statistics representing a collective unit like OL. Example, the OL gave up the fewest sacks. But, it was blatant Eli was under pressure way too much, and that getting rid of the ball early/too early was why the sacks allowed was low.

in the run game, the RB can turn nothing into something, and likewise it'd positively reflect the OL even if they did not particularly block well.

the #s can be skewed too easily imho. Thats just me tho. Its evident you speak with a good deal of intelligence and while I disagree with some of ur points, I def. see your POV>

joemorrisforprez
07-06-2013, 03:10 PM

Tiki never got the memo that linebackers are unimportant.

gmen46
07-06-2013, 04:44 PM
good post, and what u say is true.

but i dont know if individual play will show up in statistics representing a collective unit like OL. Example, the OL gave up the fewest sacks. But, it was blatant Eli was under pressure way too much, and that getting rid of the ball early/too early was why the sacks allowed was low.

in the run game, the RB can turn nothing into something, and likewise it'd positively reflect the OL even if they did not particularly block well.

the #s can be skewed too easily imho. Thats just me tho. Its evident you speak with a good deal of intelligence and while I disagree with some of ur points, I def. see your POV>

You're right, and that's why I acknowledge there can be other factors than just the play of the OL. But when you look at the efforts of the entire season, I wanted to point out that there was much more to our rush game than simply the number of total yards. The fact that we were 6th in rushing for 1st downs should allow for the possibility our OL wasn't a complete failure for the season, and that it's a bit shameful of Tiki to talk about "fear" in reference to our OL , and it's "not knowing how" to play offence in the pros.

The fact was, last year, that the Giants ran fewer times, and dropped back to pass fewer times, than the majority of teams, yet managed to squeeze more out of each play on average than most of those teams.

I just think our OL performed, overall, better than many fans and pundits have given it credit for. The positive offensive achievements were not only produced by the skill players with no help from the OL. Now, obviously the Giants FO and coaching staff believe there is much need for improvement with the OL, which explains part of our draft this year. I don't deny that.

JesseJames
07-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I think the problem with the Giants and Tiki is one of mistrust, you never know whats going to come out of his mouth when he is being interviewed and thats what started all of this mistrust...

jomo
07-06-2013, 06:17 PM

----5th in rush TDs

It should come as no secret that nearly all the Giants' problems last year were due to severe inconsistencies on the part of Eli game-to-game (he had a few great games and too many terrible games in the same season) and on the part of the defense. Not so much the OL.That's alot of useful info. Since you have it at your fingertips, how did we do on 3rd and short and 4th and short compared to the rest of the league? It seemed miserable but the stats will tell the truth.

jomo
07-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Tiki never got the memo that linebackers are unimportant.Maybe our RB's can't block linebackers because they are used to practicing against some of the worst in the league?? :cool:

Antwuan
07-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't think the Giants RB's fear blocking, David Wilson showed signs of blocking last season.

Toadofsteel
07-06-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't think the Giants RB's fear blocking, David Wilson showed signs of blocking last season.

Honestly it only looked like he didn't have the actual weight to block an incoming linebacker (Newton's laws and all that), which explains why he packed on 10 pounds. I just hope the extra weight doesn't slow him down...

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 08:06 PM
You're right, and that's why I acknowledge there can be other factors than just the play of the OL. But when you look at the efforts of the entire season, I wanted to point out that there was much more to our rush game than simply the number of total yards. The fact that we were 6th in rushing for 1st downs should allow for the possibility our OL wasn't a complete failure for the season, and that it's a bit shameful of Tiki to talk about "fear" in reference to our OL , and it's "not knowing how" to play offence in the pros.

The fact was, last year, that the Giants ran fewer times, and dropped back to pass fewer times, than the majority of teams, yet managed to squeeze more out of each play on average than most of those teams.

I just think our OL performed, overall, better than many fans and pundits have given it credit for. The positive offensive achievements were not only produced by the skill players with no help from the OL. Now, obviously the Giants FO and coaching staff believe there is much need for improvement with the OL, which explains part of our draft this year. I don't deny that.well stated. and while i disagree with the level of play from the OL, I agree with what your saying here. that they performed better than given credit for, maybe even by me.

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 08:08 PM
That's alot of useful info. Since you have it at your fingertips, how did we do on 3rd and short and 4th and short compared to the rest of the league? It seemed miserable but the stats will tell the truth.we werent good. but i think what gmens posts indicate is that perhaps the fault for that shouldnt lay on the OL. they seem to be doing much better than generally given credit for.

i've complained as much as anyone about the lack of push on 3rd/4th and shorts. but maybe the lack of creativity is more of an issue than the OL? I think we all came to believe that even if the D knows we're running it in those scenarios, we should still convert and the OL should still get push. But that probably is tragically unfair.

I'm going to reassess my view on the OL bc gmen46 does raise interesting points.

joemorrisforprez
07-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Maybe our RB's can't block linebackers because they are used to practicing against some of the worst in the league?? :cool:

I wouldn't say that's out of the question.

Rudyy
07-06-2013, 08:15 PM
I would like to see us utilize the TE position more and also use the RB's more in the passing game. That will take away some of the predictable play calling. I felt as if last season, in the beginning, Bennett was used much more in the passing game, then just started to block the rest of the season.

Burn
07-06-2013, 08:19 PM
I would like to see us utilize the TE position more and also use the RB's more in the passing game. That will take away some of the predictable play calling. I felt as if last season, in the beginning, Bennett was used much more in the passing game, then just started to block the rest of the season.

Neither of those things are going to happen unless our offensive line can actually pass block, it is pretty obvious why Bennett was kept in to block a lot last year, as well as Bradshaw getting the majority of snaps.

Rudyy
07-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Neither of those things are going to happen unless our offensive line can actually pass block, it is pretty obvious why Bennett was kept in to block a lot last year, as well as Bradshaw getting the majority of snaps.Which is also true, but they do see to be improving..a little lol. The run blocking is still iffy.

Harooni
07-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Joking aside...it's a little sad that the organization hasn't reached out to this guy to help patch up his relationship with a certain percentage of fans. I think it is, as Tiki is in good standing with EA and Tisch and Mara and as far as i know reese. they put him in the ring of honor .I think time will heal it, i think its starting already, just need TC to be a bit less stubborn

Harooni
07-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Maybe our RB's can't block linebackers because they are used to practicing against some of the worst in the league?? :cool:

lol very possible. we dont have ant first team lb's

G-Men Surg.
07-07-2013, 03:25 AM
I don't want to see Tiki even in my dreams any near Wilson. David is a big boy now and he will figure out things in this level and I trust our coaching staff to do the job " finishing the final product " .

joemorrisforprez
07-07-2013, 08:34 AM
I think it is, as Tiki is in good standing with EA and Tisch and Mara and as far as i know reese. they put him in the ring of honor .I think time will heal it, i think its starting already, just need TC to be a bit less stubborn

LOL

Gimaniac
07-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Neither of those things are going to happen unless our offensive line can actually pass block, it is pretty obvious why Bennett was kept in to block a lot last year, as well as Bradshaw getting the majority of snaps.

??? We gave up the fewest sacks than most any team last year ???

GameTime
07-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I think it is, as Tiki is in good standing with EA and Tisch and Mara and as far as i know reese. they put him in the ring of honor .I think time will heal it, i think its starting already, just need TC to be a bit less stubborn
I have insider information, take it for what its worth, that as recently as last season, Tiki is persons non grata with Mara and the org. The admins are told to not forward his phone calls.

keyofgmen
07-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Blocking for RBs has not so much to do with size and "fear". It is all about knowing where the rush is coming from. That is the hard part for the rookies to learn. Once you can get that, it is really just about getting in the way to slow the rush for a second, giving the QB that second to find the right guy to throw to.

TCHOF
07-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Tiki took every opportunity to trash TC after he left the Giants and TC, being the classy professional that he is, said nothing. Tiki now needs TC's help to get back in the good grace's of the fans? Good luck with that. What goes around comes around . . . . .

miked1958
07-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't think Andre brown is scared to block

Harooni
07-07-2013, 07:20 PM
LOL i guess i guess he is a little stubborn

and i dont think its so much scared but i can see how a rookie would be not used to doing it with faster heavier guys in the nfl.

B&RWarrior
07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't want to see Tiki even in my dreams any near Wilson. David is a big boy now and he will figure out things in this level and I trust our coaching staff to do the job " finishing the final product " .

I think Tiki could only help David in terms of becoming a better RB, which ultimately is all I care about.

jomo
07-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I think Tiki could only help David in terms of becoming a better RB, which ultimately is all I care about.Coaching is a profession built around giving of yourself for the betterment of others...........

giantsfan420
07-07-2013, 10:16 PM
yeah jomo good point. i dunno if anyone watched the wimbledon final. but murrays coach is stephen lindell, a former tennis great in his own right. murry talked afterwards about how lindell like gave up so much of his time for murray and really focused on murrays game, so murray really soaked it in and was in awe/thankful.

i suppose IF tiki were to be able to be selfless, which i doubt, he prob could help wilson a bunch. but the thing is, if barber were to help DW, he'd try and make it this front page news and him the center of attention, and then, what good is him as a coach really? if we were to hear after the sb how tiki spent all this time with DW and it was the first time fans heard about it, i think it'd speak to tiki being serious about coaching and helping DW. bc, when u help someone, u cant really have alternate motives, esp selfish motives, which getting in the lime light would be were tiki to do that. then its not helping someone else, its about tiki helping tiki. and then it would be thanks but no thanks imho.

G-Men Surg.
07-08-2013, 01:33 AM
I think Tiki could only help David in terms of becoming a better RB, which ultimately is all I care about.

I agree and that's fair enough. The problem is Tiki burned lots of bridges when he left the team and everything he does or mentions about the team gets scrutinized and rightly so. That been said I would have loved if Tiki swallowed his pride some years ago and kept close ties with the Giants.

GameTime
07-08-2013, 09:59 AM
Tiki not needed as a coach.......

Kruunch
07-08-2013, 11:53 AM

Because Tiki is the pillar of wisdom.

http://www.marfdrat.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/marty-feldman.jpg

BigBlue1971
07-08-2013, 11:55 AM
I agree and that's fair enough. The problem is Tiki burned lots of bridges when he left the team and everything he does or mentions about the team gets scrutinized and rightly so. That been said I would have loved if Tiki swallowed his pride some years ago and kept close ties with the Giants.

Tiki is his own worst enemy. he automatically thought Eli and the Giants would be worse off without him and predicted that with his comments and statements after he left.

now hes trying to save grace.

personally its too early to forget the things he said.

GameTime
07-08-2013, 12:19 PM
and that my friend is exactly what is Tiki's issue. His pride, ego, etc are his worst attributes. Gets in the way of what he says and how he says it.

rebelfan1966
07-08-2013, 03:39 PM

I thought it was Tom Coughlin who helped Tiki develop in those areas? Don't get me wrong, I have moved on from the whole bash Tiki days. I used to enjoy watching him as a player and welcome any advice he can give to the young players today. However, I seriously never see a day where T.C. will allow him to come in and work with our RBs.

yatitle
07-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Tiki needs to get over the fear of his ex-wife hiring a hitman.

JJC7301
07-08-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm glad to see that the rehab of Tiki's image is moving forward. He's the best RB in Giants history.

The guy ate crow by having to interview an entire team, and Eli, after they won SB 42 only about 1 year after he retired.

He didn't say or do the worst thing in history. It's time to let Tiki out of Giants purgatory. I hope that he can be cheered the next time that he's introduced at MetLife Stadium.

Harooni
07-08-2013, 05:23 PM
yeah i think fans are slowly realizing featured backs arent easy to come by and that what Tiki said wasnt so horrible he was just being honest at the time. . TC did help in how tiki held the ball, however Tiki's awareness his vision and his football smarts were always there , i remember when Fassel would say hey put 21 in , and it was 3rd down and tiki would run a sweep and take off. also his skill of playing peek a boo behind linemen was a thing of bueaty . also Tiki was one of the first to use the jumbo tron to see if a defender was coming up behind him.

joemorrisforprez
07-08-2013, 05:26 PM
I thought it was Tom Coughlin who helped Tiki develop in those areas? Don't get me wrong, I have moved on from the whole bash Tiki days. I used to enjoy watching him as a player and welcome any advice he can give to the young players today. However, I seriously never see a day where T.C. will allow him to come in and work with our RBs.

Part of being a good coach is being able to motivate your players, and I'm not sure if that is a strong point of Tiki's.

Usually, it seems like those borderline players make good coaches....they survived on understanding the game, because athletically, they hit a ceiling.

Harooni
07-08-2013, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOs-KWJGT0

joemorrisforprez
07-09-2013, 12:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lOs-KWJGT0

If that was Wilson, he would have been gone.

MattMeyerBud
07-09-2013, 01:19 PM

at least its two steps forward and one step back with Tiki now instead of the reverse

calling guys scared is inaccurate I think.

And if it is inaccurate, its kind of a dumb thing to say

MattMeyerBud
07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Part of being a good coach is being able to motivate your players, and I'm not sure if that is a strong point of Tiki's.

Usually, it seems like those borderline players make good coaches....they survived on understanding the game, because athletically, they hit a ceiling.

great point