PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Position Review: Offensive Line

RoanokeFan
07-06-2013, 12:37 PM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6367

Excerpt: "Our weekend look at the units continues with the offensive line.

The Candidates: Selvish Capers, Chris DeGeare, Eric Herman, Jim Cordle, David Baas, Will Beatty, David Diehl, Brandon Mosley, Michael Jasper, Justin Pugh, James Brewer, Matt McCants, Bryant Browning, Chris Snee, Kevin Boothe, Stephen Goodin

Key Injuries: Snee is recovering from the hip surgery he had back in February. Baas, meanwhile is recovering from multiple surgeries that reportedly include a knee, shoulder, hip and elbow.

Battles to Watch: The long-awaited battle at right tackle between first-rounder Pugh, Brewer, and Diehl is set to kickoff this summer. However, depending on what happens with Baas, that battle could quickly become a two-horse race between Brewer and Diehl.

The reason for that is that while the Giants expect to get Baas back at some point, that he wasn’t able to do anything during the spring practices (and by anything, we mean not even working on the side with trainers, which most other injured players able to walk and be on the field were doing), it would not be surprising if they hold him out of camp a week or two to give him extra recovery time.

Hence, it was no surprise to us when we read that Pugh mentioned that the coaches told him that he’ll be working at left guard as well – left guard just happens to be Boothe’s position, and Boothe just happens to be able to play center if Baas isn’t’ ready to go." Read more...

Toadofsteel
07-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Hope Eli is ready for all the buttfumbles that Boothe brings, but on the other hand, at least Boothe can get some push at C.

As for RT, I seriously hope that Brewer gets serious consideration. He can't be THAT bad that he's actually worse than Diehl at this point in his career, can he?

BigBlue1971
07-06-2013, 02:34 PM
again you can see the versatility among these guys on the o-line.

if these guys gel then the overall plan of winning will be easier to achieve.

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Hope Eli is ready for all the buttfumbles that Boothe brings, but on the other hand, at least Boothe can get some push at C.

As for RT, I seriously hope that Brewer gets serious consideration. He can't be THAT bad that he's actually worse than Diehl at this point in his career, can he?i think he could be that bad which is a shame. i for one have been a homer for brewer just the same as any giant player. i thought he'd pan out, but so far, he's been terrible, worse than DD if thats possible...

TCHOF
07-06-2013, 03:48 PM

As for RT, I seriously hope that Brewer gets serious consideration. He can't be THAT bad that he's actually worse than Diehl at this point in his career, can he?

Brewer was given every chance to beat Diehl out in pre-season last year and Diehl smoked him. So the answer to your question is yes.

jomo
07-06-2013, 04:41 PM
I hate to have to be the jounalism professor with these bloggers but one would think that a pre-view of a season would start with a quick re-cap on where we ended last year, a state of the state on where we are and what the key challenges are to get back to even along the OL.

To characterize the situation at right tackle as a "battle for the position" with Diehl vs. Brewer totally misses the point doesn't it? We have an aging RT who had an injury plagued sub par season last year up against a drafted player who has shown absolutely nothing thus far and the writer uses the word "battle" to characterize it. Goodness gracious, someone deliver us from this work of amateurs!!

Captain Chaos
07-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Yo professor Jomo, your characterization of what the author said was far from close...

"
Brewer? Again, it’s hard to tell much in watching them during the spring, but we have a feeling this “battle” isn’t going to be as close as some are projecting it to be.

Goodness gracious, seems to me the author is indicating that the real battle will be elsewhere.

jomo
07-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Yo professor Jomo, your characterization of what the author said was far from close...

"
Brewer? Again, it’s hard to tell much in watching them during the spring, but we have a feeling this “battle” isn’t going to be as close as some are projecting it to be.

Goodness gracious, seems to me the author is indicating that the real battle will be elsewhere.Dear Captain, let us pray for a real battle anywhere along the OL. We've got some serious upgrading to do and it seems lost on the bloggers. :)