PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Roster Breakdown: Markus Kuhn

RoanokeFan
07-06-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/7/6/4496490/new-york-giants-roster-breakdown-markus-kuhn

Excerpt: "Markus Kuhn faces lots of competition in his effort to make the 53-man roster for the second straight season.

Let's continue our player-by-player breakdown of the 90-man roster the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) will bring to training camp with a discussion about second-year defensive tackle Markus Kuhn (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/155168/markus-kuhn).

2012 Season In Review

Kuhn, 6-foot-4, 299 pounds, was drafted out of North Carolina State in the seventh round, only the second player from his native Germany to be drafted by an NFL team. The other is Sebastian Vollmer (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/71181/sebastian-vollmer) of the New England Patriots (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-england-patriots). Kuhn, somewhat surprisingly, moved past 2011 second-round pick Marvin Austin (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/130945/marvin-austin) and became part of the defensive tackle rotation before a knee injury landed him on IR after 10 games. He finished with eight tackles and four passes defensed, showcasing potential as a useful member of the defensive tackle rotation." Read more...

Toadofsteel
07-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I hope Kuhn goes full baller this season. He's already shown he's worth more than Austin.

Honestly, we've had pretty good luck with our 7th round picks. Only true bust was Matt Dodge. Other than that, under Reese we've gotten Kuhn, Williams, and Bradshaw in the 7th round, and don't forget UDFAs Cruz and Hynocerous. Not bad value after 6+ full rounds of drafting from what I see here...

Which is not to say that his early-round drafting is all that bad either. Yes he has drafted guys like Barden, Austin, and Jernigan, but he also went and got us guys like JPP, Nicks, and Wilson. Guys that we were SCREAMING at him for drafting, and yet many of these guys have pulled through for us big time. I expect Pugh to pull through for us big time. Andre Brown is already the master of hitting even the tiniest holes with full power. Imagine what he could do with an actual hole.

As for Kuhn, due to our extensive depth at DT, I expect him to hit the PUP list, but will be reactivated week 6, especially so if Austin continues his crappy play...

TCHOF
07-06-2013, 02:54 PM
I agree that he'll probably start the season on the PUP.

jomo
07-06-2013, 03:30 PM
I agree that he'll probably start the season on the PUP........I guess so. I wish we could get something in the way of a rehab report on these guys. For all we know the surgery was botched and the guy's career is over. I know they don't want to go too far out on a limb with positive reports but give us something to chew on. All we have is silence.

Captain Chaos
07-06-2013, 04:28 PM
I hope Kuhn goes full baller this season. He's already shown he's worth more than Austin.

Honestly, we've had pretty good luck with our 7th round picks. Only true bust was Matt Dodge. Other than that, under Reese we've gotten Kuhn, Williams, and Bradshaw in the 7th round, and don't forget UDFAs Cruz and Hynocerous. Not bad value after 6+ full rounds of drafting from what I see here...

Which is not to say that his early-round drafting is all that bad either. Yes he has drafted guys like Barden, Austin, and Jernigan, but he also went and got us guys like JPP, Nicks, and Wilson. Guys that we were SCREAMING at him for drafting, and yet many of these guys have pulled through for us big time. I expect Pugh to pull through for us big time. Andre Brown is already the master of hitting even the tiniest holes with full power. Imagine what he could do with an actual hole.

As for Kuhn, due to our extensive depth at DT, I expect him to hit the PUP list, but will be reactivated week 6, especially so if Austin continues his crappy play...

That is if Austin even makes the roster, but having Kuhn in the hole on the PUP certainly provides some options...

drewz
07-06-2013, 07:23 PM
I doubt Kuhn plays a single down this year. There's simply too much talent on the defensive line for him to any playing time.

B&RWarrior
07-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Kuhn reminds me of Justin Smith. I think he can develop into a poor man's Justin Smith. Big hopes I know, but I think he can get a lot better.

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 11:34 PM
I doubt Kuhn plays a single down this year. There's simply too much talent on the defensive line for him to any playing time.what sucks for him is that bc he played so much last yr he cant be put on the PS i believe. it could very well end up bein a situation where he's cut bc we dont have anywhere to put him...i think it does come down to him n austin, and i dunno if they get rid of austin yet...he was a 2nd rd pick...

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Kuhn reminds me of Justin Smith. I think he can develop into a poor man's Justin Smith. Big hopes I know, but I think he can get a lot better.

There is no way Kuhn is as good a player as Smith. You usually have good posts, but saying Kuhn is as good a player as Smith is insane.....

see what I did there? I made a similar comment with Murphy and TO, and you went on and I thought had conceded you misunderstood and finally understood after a few pages. but i read in another thread it seems like you are still insinuating I am comparing Murphy to Owens as a player in terms of overall ability and skill?

Toadofsteel
07-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Why am I finding myself agreeing with 420? What is this black magic?

Although I don't think Kuhn will ever be Justin Smith, I think he could be a decent DT in our rotation easily...

GameTime
07-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I like the Kid and I think he has tremendous drive and desire. Another poster said he wont play a donw because of "all the talent" on the DL...
really??....where is "all the talent"?? There is potential for sure. The only given right now for the DTs is Joseph. The rest is up for grabs.