PDA

View Full Version : Patriots talk about 2007 Season (interesting comments about Giants, Coughlin)

joemorrisforprez
07-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Recent ESPN story about the 2007 Patriots I read on the Sportswrath message board.

The full article goes through the entire season.....I'm reposting the Super Bowl commentary....

Full story here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9355518/nfl-2007-pats-wonder-been

It's almost as if an asterisk exists: 18-1*. The 2007 Patriots were not only the most entertaining team of the 21st century, not only the most dominant, not only the luckiest and unluckiest, but also the most epically conflicted. They won with selfless class and with a bloodthirsty resolve for running up the score. They won with a historic offense and with an unappreciated defense, the opposite of how they had won Super Bowls. They won as a unified team, yet became a divisive force. They won without cheating, as far as we know, but Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft were fined a combined $750,000 for years of cheating, and so their overall record and the records they set seem tainted in the eyes of some fans, like a home run mark. They won games when Tom Brady (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/2330/tom-brady) threw six touchdown passes and they won games when he threw three interceptions. They won despite -- and under the weight of -- their own winning. They won all of their games in September and October and November and December and January. They won so much that you had to appreciate them, even if you hated them, because you can't discuss the greatest teams in NFL history without mentioning them. In fact, they won so much that some players think that they damn well could have won it all -- if only they had lost.

Super Bowl XLII: Giants 17, Patriots 14

Kyle Brady (tight end): "The only practices that we had that we went backwards. We didn't perform the way we were capable. Was it possible that that team was tired? We had to put out so much energy to get to that point maybe we had peaked and maybe we were physically and emotionally drained. The crispness and the sharpness were lacking. Wednesday and Thursday practices are the most critical. brought us up and said, "Fellas, today the Giants got ahead of you." It wasn't just lip service. The standard that was set wasn't matched."

[B]Hobbs: "I remember talking a lot more than he usually did [during media sessions]. He was going out there talking about what he was going to do before he did it. He wasn't that humble guy. It was like [the Giants] threw him out of his game. Giants were talking trash. Tom said something like, "Yeah, we'll see." Kind of a rebuttal. Tom never did that. He always brought it back to the Patriots and what we needed to do. Did that throw him off his game?"

[B]Evans: "On Saturday, we opted to change hotels. Our hotel was a dump. Way out there. The food was terrible. The beds were awful. The beds stunk."

The Giants used an array of defensive fronts that the Patriots had never seen before. The offensive line didn't hold up; Brady was sacked five times.

Brady: "The first play of the game should have been a touchdown. We ran a screen. I turned and threw the ball and didn't see where our running back was and didn't complete the pass. We ended up scoring on that drive anyway, but it took longer than I would have hoped."

Koppen: "Us as a line, we played our worst game of the year. We played like s--- that game."

Still, late in the fourth quarter Brady hit Moss on a short touchdown to give New England a 14-10 lead. The game was in Eli Manning's hands. On second-and-5 from midfield with 1:20 left, Manning overthrew an out-route to receiver David Tyree (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4669/david-tyree) -- right into Samuel's hands.

Samuel: "I dropped an interception. I think I mistimed the jump. I didn't jump high enough. Maybe if I'd jumped a little higher …"

On the next play, Manning spun away from the Patriots rush and fired his famous, miraculous pass to Tyree. The Giants scored the game-winning touchdown four plays later, not only pulling off the biggest Super Bowl upset since the Jets beat the Colts but ending the quest for a perfect season.

Stallworth: "After the Super Bowl, Belichick said, 'We were outcoached. I'm sorry we couldn't win the game for you guys.' "

Evans: "I was looking at a man who was truly broken."

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 02:07 PM
very interesting. i want more lol.

ebick
07-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Not for nuthin'.....I mean the Pats were a great team, but they shouldn't have been undefeated. A coaching error by the Ravens gave them a gift victory. I wonder how different the discussions would be if they had come in with that 1 loss.

P_Simms_#11
07-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Seems like the only one giving the Giants any credit is Belichick.

Flip Empty
07-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Not for nuthin'.....I mean the Pats were a great team, but they shouldn't have been undefeated. A coaching error by the Ravens gave them a gift victory. I wonder how different the discussions would be if they had come in with that 1 loss.
Hmm, I've got to disagree there. To me that's like saying the Giants shouldn't have won because Eli almost threw an interception. The Pats won the games they won, and the Giants won the games they won.

I mean, there are flipside/what-if? moments in every game, but ultimately, they don't matter. What happened, happened.

Rudyy
07-06-2013, 02:40 PM
This is a great article.

gmen46
07-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Hmm, I've got to disagree there. To me that's like saying the Giants shouldn't have won because Eli almost threw an interception. The Pats won the games they won, and the Giants won the games they won.

I mean, there are flipside/what-if? moments in every game, but ultimately, they don't matter. What happened, happened.

Exactly so. It's a raw fact of life that most sports fans--at one time or another--have an extremely difficult time accepting.

tcseacliff
07-06-2013, 03:36 PM
great article, and brings up fond memories!:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTL6R9TKT3KKPs5IfSKVVZxJjATWzWsb IVk0HEFsm3a_tchiYtFow

jomo
07-06-2013, 03:36 PM
This is a great article.........an unusually deep dive with the players who lived it. It would be cool to see a parallel article on the Men in Blue to match up their mindsets.

Rudyy
07-06-2013, 03:41 PM
........an unusually deep dive with the players who lived it. It would be cool to see a parallel article on the Men in Blue to match up their mindsets.That would be awesome. Also, I wonder what they were thinking when they faced us again.

tcseacliff
07-06-2013, 03:51 PM
i really believe it still haunts them a bit today. it wiould be cool to have a companion article to get the G-men's mindset!

memfist.ten
07-06-2013, 04:23 PM

They were who we thought they were after the regular season finale. lol No team has ever went 18-0 entering the Super bowl. Had they won they would have been labeled the greatest team ever....But they lost so what does that make us???

TheAnalyst
07-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Where is that poster who created the "We hate you more then you ever can imagine" thread? LOL

TheAnalyst
07-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Also, Im tired of that crap about Samuel's "dropped" interception. Remember how Eli got picked off? Yeah, Steve Smith let the ball hit him right in the hands and bounced it into a Pats control, so it was an interception instead of a TD. No one talks about that one though.

TheAnalyst
07-06-2013, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4-7WQj8Rc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_913421&feature=iv&s rc_vid=Mj4-7WQj8Rc&v=A-v7BF1G-YY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_304165&feature=iv&s rc_vid=A-v7BF1G-YY&v=sGyHV94cWE8

BigBlueAllDay
07-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Sounds more like:

Super Bowl XLII: Giants 17, Patriots 14

Kyle Brady (tight end): Waaa
Hobbs: Waaa
Evans: Waaaa
Brady: Waaaaaaa. We had a stacked team and should have been scoring touchdowns at will. Waaaaa
Koppen: Waaaa
Samuel: Waaaa
Stallworth: Waaa
Evans: Waaaa

giantsfan420
07-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Where is that poster who created the "We hate you more then you ever can imagine" thread? LOLlol i remember that

TheBookOfEli
07-06-2013, 07:06 PM
I want to hear what the Pats (mainly Brady) has to say about Superbowl XLVI

TheBookOfEli
07-06-2013, 07:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4-7WQj8Rc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_913421&feature=iv&s rc_vid=Mj4-7WQj8Rc&v=A-v7BF1G-YY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_304165&feature=iv&s rc_vid=A-v7BF1G-YY&v=sGyHV94cWE8

"Manning LOBS IT, BURRESS ALONE...TOUCHDOWN NEW YORK!!!"

Can't hate on Joe Buck calling that one.

joemorrisforprez
07-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Seems like the only one giving the Giants any credit is Belichick.

That was my thought too.....it was actually the main reason I posted it.

During practice Belichick knew the Giants were going to bring it, most likely due to his familiarity with Coughlin's coaching regimen.

That last comment too was pretty impressive.....for Belichick to say that Coughlin outcoached him speaks volumes about Coughlin.

Some people can't stand Belichick, but not me. He'll always be a Giants coach in my opinion....was part of so many tremendous wins for this franchise and literally poured his heart and soul into that defense. His gameplan against the Buffalo Bills was a work of art.

Rudyy
07-06-2013, 07:12 PM
I just think they will always be afraid to go up against us, because they fear us mentally. We are in their heads, and we get up for them.

BigBlueAllDay
07-06-2013, 07:33 PM
I want to hear what the Pats (mainly Brady) has to say about Superbowl XLVI

Brady: It was humiliating to see Tom Coughlin's Giants at the Superbowl again, but we knew we were in for a de ja vu with the late go-ahead TD and all...

ok well this is going to be the most probable response since Welker is no longer on the team:

Brady: Yea I'm gonna have to agree with my wife. Welker should have caught my perfect pass over coverage near the end. That was the ball game right there. Because of Welker, not only did he screw the Patriots out of Superbowl XLVI, I couldn't get any from Gisele that night either.

Cool Papa B.
07-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Just finished reading the whole article. Really good stuff. I always like getting a players perspective of games and seasons.

The 2007 Patriots was a great/very good team that ran out of steam. Never mind the long, grueling season, and the fact they had to go up against a Giants team that matched up very well against them. But on top of all that they had to deal with the pressure of being undefeated. The players interviewed said that.

"Some on the team worried that the team was barely hanging on, and in the two-week break between the title game and the Super Bowl, Belichick practiced the team hard." I'm surprised players admitted this, but then again it was 5 years ago so it doesn't matter now.

TheAnalyst
07-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Just finished reading the whole article. Really good stuff. I always like getting a players perspective of games and seasons.

The 2007 Patriots was a great/very good team that ran out of steam. Never mind the long, grueling season, and the fact they had to go up against a Giants team that matched up very well against them. But on top of all that they had to deal with the pressure of being undefeated. The players interviewed said that.

"Some on the team worried that the team was barely hanging on, and in the two-week break between the title game and the Super Bowl, Belichick practiced the team hard." I'm surprised players admitted this, but then again it was 5 years ago so it doesn't matter now.

Thats an understatement... If we dont knock them off in the Superbowl, easily the greatest team of all time. Still might be.

appodictic
07-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Thats an understatement... If we dont knock them off in the Superbowl, easily the greatest team of all time. Still might be.

Look at what we did next season, we had one terrible monday night loss but we rolled through everyone else, till the plaxicide. The burn of winning that many games is too much mentally and physically.

It is an interesting piece, but I would REALLY like to read about a piece about how the GIANTS can explain what they did list year. Especially how after an epic run they lose the home opener.

P_Simms_#11
07-07-2013, 01:44 PM
That was my thought too.....it was actually the main reason I posted it.

During practice Belichick knew the Giants were going to bring it, most likely due to his familiarity with Coughlin's coaching regimen.

That last comment too was pretty impressive.....for Belichick to say that Coughlin outcoached him speaks volumes about Coughlin.

Some people can't stand Belichick, but not me. He'll always be a Giants coach in my opinion....was part of so many tremendous wins for this franchise and literally poured his heart and soul into that defense. His gameplan against the Buffalo Bills was a work of art.

Well said. Once a Giant, always a Giant.

tabouli88
07-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Best night of my life was 2-3-08 !!

If you have some time : THuis will bring back some memories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE0FAqqwmGM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUBrYEOqqGOec4L4o75bm1Aw

embeshAtYa
07-07-2013, 02:25 PM
our defense holding them to 14 points is all we need

Cool Papa B.
07-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Look at what we did next season, we had one terrible monday night loss but we rolled through everyone else, till the plaxicide. The burn of winning that many games is too much mentally and physically.

This is exactly my point.

With the way the played at the end of the season and the playoffs, and with the way they practiced the week of the SB, they were primed and ready to lose.

Toadofsteel
07-07-2013, 03:54 PM

This is what surprised me so much, though... Bill came up with that incredible game plan in 1990 to stop someone that was then considered one of the greatest QBs of all time in Jim Kelly, and yet didn't even realize that the core concept of his own HoF game plan was being used against him in 2007. It was quite simple, sell out to defend the pass. That much remains the same. The only difference is that Spags was attacking the QB directly instead of punishing the receivers. You saw guys blitzing on every down possible. Brady got hit more times in that game than he had the rest of the season combined. Force the QB to make mistakes, knock him off his game, and even supposed "gods" can be made mere mortals...

On offense, it was the same deal as in 1990: run long drives and keep the ball out of Brady/Kelly's hands. Jacobs and Bradshaw really shined that game and were largely unsung (without Jacob's 4th and 1 conversion, there would be no pass to Tyree). Eli might not have gone 22 for 25, but he stayed resolute in the pocket and was able to orchestrate an unflappable offense. That 10 minute drive in the beginning made me feel like he was truly becoming a leader on the field right in front of my eyes (before then I didn't really think much of him to be completely honest).

Cool Papa B.
07-07-2013, 04:08 PM
This is what surprised me so much, though... Bill came up with that incredible game plan in 1990 to stop someone that was then considered one of the greatest QBs of all time in Jim Kelly, and yet didn't even realize that the core concept of his own HoF game plan was being used against him in 2007. It was quite simple, sell out to defend the pass. That much remains the same. The only difference is that Spags was attacking the QB directly instead of punishing the receivers. You saw guys blitzing on every down possible. Brady got hit more times in that game than he had the rest of the season combined. Force the QB to make mistakes, knock him off his game, and even supposed "gods" can be made mere.

I recall the Giants blitzing only 3-4 times in SB 42. The strategy in that game was simple; put 4 guys on the DLine and let them go get Brady. And it worked!

In SB 25 they wanted the Bills to run the ball and they gave them the short yardage passes. They defended against the long yardage passes and beat up the Bills receiving Core.

giantsfan420
07-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I recall the Giants blitzing only 3-4 times in SB 42. The strategy in that game was simple; put 4 guys on the DLine and let them go get Brady. And it worked!

In SB 25 they wanted the Bills to run the ball and they gave them the short yardage passes. They defended against the long yardage passes and beat up the Bills receiving Core.we blitzed a few more times than that but ur general point is correct. we didnt send that many blitzes and the ones we did send were heavily disguised (the infamous kawika mitchell fake drop into coverage blitz, the G.Wilson S blitz, et al).

But, we primarily were depending on the 4 downed linemen to pin their ears back and get after Brady. What impresses me every time i look back in addition to the pass rush was the fact we actually defended the run (when they did) pretty well (aside from a drive or 2).

Cool Papa B.
07-07-2013, 06:52 PM
we blitzed a few more times than that but ur general point is correct. we didnt send that many blitzes and the ones we did send were heavily disguised (the infamous kawika mitchell fake drop into coverage blitz, the G.Wilson S blitz, et al).

But, we primarily were depending on the 4 downed linemen to pin their ears back and get after Brady. What impresses me every time i look back in addition to the pass rush was the fact we actually defended the run (when they did) pretty well (aside from a drive or 2).

So true about stopping the run. I was surprised the Giants D was able to pass rush & stop the run successfully. What a well executed, well coached game that was.

NE's final TD was a result of fatigue from the Giants DLine IMO. Tuck, Strahan, & Osi looked so gassed on that drive. I was afraid Eli didn't have enough time to score, but he proved how clutch he was.

Eliscruzzz
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Sounds like a bunch of cry babies blaming each other...

giantsforce
07-07-2013, 08:36 PM
our defense holding them to 14 points is all we needDamn right, because Killdrive's offensive game plan was the usual crap, if not for Eli's heroics. The follwoing statement from Hobbs explains Belicheck's "we were outcoached": "The Giants used an array of defensive fronts that the Patriots had never seen before. The offensive line didn't hold up; Brady was sacked five times." That was Spags doing rather than any other Giants coach.

giantsfan420
07-07-2013, 09:10 PM
So true about stopping the run. I was surprised the Giants D was able to pass rush & stop the run successfully. What a well executed, well coached game that was.

NE's final TD was a result of fatigue from the Giants DLine IMO. Tuck, Strahan, & Osi looked so gassed on that drive. I was afraid Eli didn't have enough time to score, but he proved how clutch he was.nice post.

i always am baffled to the gameplan NE put together offensively. I have to believe that our opening drive just completely threw them off kilter because from then on, they tried to almost be this ball control offense right back to us. iirc, Moss didnt have any long deep bomb reception. THe majority if what NE seemed to do was more underneath stuff. and they just were not able to sustain drives long enough to score via that method of trying to score. NE didnt come out trying to score 56 points, with 70 yd td passes. i know thats due in large part to our pass rush and adjustments they prob made. but i always wonder why they didnt try to go to more of a heavy run offense more often bc it was working somewhat, and they were trying to win the TOP obviously. iirc, both drivs they scored, the run game like opened up the other stuff. but then they;d get away from Maroney to go to spread shotgun, only to try and gain 5 yds thru the pass, when they could have gained those yards running i guess.
it wasnt until hail mary time that i can remember any real shots downfield by NE and maybe thats me having a bad recollection of the game I dunno. Maybe its bc everytime they tried to allow plays to develop downfield, our DL got there.

TCHOF
07-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Damn right, because Killdrive's offensive game plan was the usual crap, if not for Eli's heroics. The follwoing statement from Hobbs explains Belicheck's "we were outcoached": "The Giants used an array of defensive fronts that the Patriots had never seen before. The offensive line didn't hold up; Brady was sacked five times." That was Spags doing rather than any other Giants coach.

Spags? The same guy who hasn't been able to coach since he left here?

Toadofsteel
07-07-2013, 10:06 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/mikeyp/PerfectSeason.jpg

giantsfan420
07-07-2013, 10:40 PM
lol nice toad.