PDA

View Full Version : Blog Bits: Ryan Nassib

RoanokeFan
07-08-2013, 01:22 PM
http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/6329

Excerpt: "Rookie quarterback Ryan Nassibís battle against David Carr will be one of the many to watch this summer. While the rookie made a great deal of progress sin the spring practices, the rest test will come when he faces live teams from scrimmage.

Q: Youíve had an opportunity to get a few practices in since the minicamp. How have things been coming along for you?
A: I definitely feel a little more comfortable than when I first got here. Right now I feel like I can go out and call the plays and know what it is Iím calling and stuff like that. Now itís just a matter of taking things to the next level and playing against certain looks that I havenítí seen yet.

Q: Not many guys have the benefit of learning from a two-time Super Bowl MVP. What kind of advice has Eli given you thatís been of the eye-opening variety?
A: Heís been great. Heís given me advice about all kinds of things. Out on the field there are certain plays and mechanics and stuff like that to make those plays. So having him there to watch and help me has been a big help. There really hasnít been anything heís said that sticks out that I can think of at the moment, but anything he does say, Iím taking that to heart. Thereís been a lot of little stuff when it comes to stuff in the weight room, the media, the practice field, itís all different types of things." Read more...

Toadofsteel
07-08-2013, 02:26 PM
I hope we can get some value out of this guy, either on the field our through a trade...

GameTime
07-08-2013, 02:49 PM
I hope we can get some value out of this guy, either on the field our through a trade...

agreed....but the only way his value for trade will be realized or not is if he gets real game time experience. Even in garbage time.
He may get extended usage in the pre season.....or should anyway

RoanokeFan
07-08-2013, 03:28 PM

I still think it's more important that the FO is addressing the day when Eli is no longer here.

JJC7301
07-08-2013, 04:46 PM
There's nothing not to like about the Nassib pick, and everything to love about it. IF he pans out, then the Giants either have their future QB or an incredible trade chip. If not, he was only a 4th round pick.

If Eli's career were to end prematurely, it'll be fantastic if Nassib turns out to be true NFL-caliber. I certaintly don't want to go through a 5-year span similar to the Brown-Graham-Kannell days. Ooofff.

I greatly look forward to seeing how he develops. And if Nassib doesn't pan out, then at least we'll know and grab another QB when Eli's career is truly wrapping up.

devilsadvocate
07-08-2013, 04:52 PM
There's nothing not to like about the Nassib pick, and everything to love about it. IF he pans out, then the Giants either have their future QB or an incredible trade chip. If not, he was only a 4th round pick.

If Eli's career were to end prematurely, it'll be fantastic if Nassib turns out to be true NFL-caliber. I certaintly don't want to go through a 5-year span similar to the Brown-Graham-Kannell days. Ooofff.

I greatly look forward to seeing how he develops. And if Nassib doesn't pan out, then at least we'll know and grab another QB when Eli's career is truly wrapping up.

Four "ifs" there. If there was another player that could help out in game action instead of holding a clipboard and wearing their hat backwards then there is something not to like about the pick.

JJC7301
07-08-2013, 04:54 PM
If this were any other position besides QB, maybe I'd agree with you. But finding a franchise QB is so difficult to do that taking a chance on one in the 4th round that was expected to go as high as the 2nd RD is an excellent move.

Delicreep
07-08-2013, 05:08 PM

Very, very well said.

Harooni
07-08-2013, 07:45 PM
this is the type of kid i can see jumping right in and not having the growing pains. sit for a few seasons and come in and light it up. this is the real deal folks.

JJC7301
07-08-2013, 11:07 PM
this is the type of kid i can see jumping right in and not having the growing pains. sit for a few seasons and come in and light it up. this is the real deal folks.

I actually don't think that he'll work out just because the odds of a QB developing into NFL caliber is so tough, but the 4th round pick is worth the "gamble.".

Harooni
07-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Well its refreshing for a QB to come in knowing enough he can call the plays. I think this is the real deal boys. I mean they dont even give Eli the plays on the sleeve to call after 9 years, what gives with that?

Toadofsteel
07-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Nassib needs to either play for us in something other than garbage time (which would mean Eli is hurt), or later be traded to, say, Jacksonville or something, for something more valuable than an early 4th, in order for me to deem it a good pick. Yes, he's a steal at that point on the draft board. But what does he bring to the table? We have ELI MOTHER****ING MANNING. He's still going to have a good 5-6 years left in him before he starts declining. So basically, we want to groom Nassib for 5 years?

If this were 2016 or so, a QB of the future pick would make a hell of a lot more sense than it does now...

GameTime
07-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Well its refreshing for a QB to come in knowing enough he can call the plays. I think this is the real deal boys. I mean they dont even give Eli the plays on the sleeve to call after 9 years, what gives with that?
?? why would Eli need that.....

Harooni
07-08-2013, 11:38 PM
?? why would Eli need that..... because then we have him calling plays

http://giantskickoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Kevin-Gilbride-FG-Coordinator.jpg

Buddy333
07-08-2013, 11:41 PM
So many threads for a guy that may never play a game for this team or at least not in the next 6 years. Maybe longer.

GameTime
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
because then we have him calling plays

http://giantskickoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Kevin-Gilbride-FG-Coordinator.jpg

ehh....all the QBs who wear arm bands do it because they cant memorize what they need to know. they still have the a coach sending in plays...
Ben doesnt call his own game for example

Buddy333
07-08-2013, 11:48 PM
ehh....all the QBs who wear arm bands do it because they cant memorize what they need to know. they still have the a coach sending in plays...Ben doesnt call his own game for exampleAlso, KG is a two time Super Bowl winning OC. People still have a problem with him around here though.

GameTime
07-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Also, KG is a two time Super Bowl winning OC. People still have a problem with him around here though.

no....he was part of the SBs despite being the OC......we all know that....

Harooni
07-08-2013, 11:51 PM
not really they have like a 100 plays on the sleeve , big ben does also have it. So does Brady , They often call their own plays.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/TG9XZhZ7GzI/AAAAAAAAdY4/OcrWwbtbnP0/s400/ben-roethlisberger-inside.jpg

GameTime
07-08-2013, 11:54 PM
not really they have like a 100 plays on the sleeve , big ben does also have it. So does Brady , They often call their own plays.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y-DbBvf7R5Y/TG9XZhZ7GzI/AAAAAAAAdY4/OcrWwbtbnP0/s400/ben-roethlisberger-inside.jpg

no...they get verbage sent in and then they have verbage the called in the huddle......
the plays are there as quick notes for soem guys. Not saying its bad just telling you how it is....

Harooni
07-08-2013, 11:59 PM
well this is going to be a fun discussion when Eli has a poor game or two. :) i mean if

Antwuan
07-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Can't wait to see him in the preseason it should be fun, I believe he's going to be Eli Manning's back up in the coming years.

Buddy333
07-09-2013, 12:09 AM
The way Eli plays and the way the rules protect the QB he may play for another 7 years or more.

Harooni
07-09-2013, 12:25 AM
The way Eli plays and the way the rules protect the QB he may play for another 7 years or more. thats true but could it be we let him go to FA because we cant afford to increase his salary for another big contract?

joemorrisforprez
07-09-2013, 12:25 AM
Not sure if we used a 4th and a 6th for the next Jeff Hostetler or Jeff Rutledge.

Carter.525
07-09-2013, 01:25 AM
Not sure if we used a 4th and a 6th for the next Jeff Hostetler or Jeff Rutledge.

Hostetler was a 3rd rounder

Toadofsteel
07-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Hostetler was a 3rd rounder

He was still a career backup. Granted, he DID win us a super bowl, so he was worth that pick and way more. I've said it before that the Nassib pick will only have actual value either if he sees the field for us (which means Eli is hurt) or if he gets traded for more than the 4th/6th we've paid for him (so basically a 3rd or earlier...)