PDA

View Full Version : Which current Giants player would make a good head coach?

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I say Steve Weatherford. He's passionate, and has leadership qualities.

drewz
07-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Chris Snee?

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Chris Snee?Snee is a good choice too.

Toadofsteel
07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Hmm, for current player I'd have to say Hynocerous (although I like the OP's mentioning of Weatherford too).

If we were talking all-time Giants players it would be either Strahan, Harry Carson, or Mark Bavaro...

I would give Eli and Blackburn clipboards as our OC and DC, respectively...

Bing Crosby
07-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Current player? Eli, he's been around the game his entire life and I'm sure he has more connections then some people think he does between him, his brother, and his father.

nycsportzfan
07-08-2013, 08:25 PM
I honestly could see Antrel Rolle being a head coach. Hes fiesty in the media, a defensive leader, and knows defense, and has played all secondary spots. I could see him like a Herm Edwards type down the rd.

Toadofsteel
07-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Current player? Eli, he's been around the game his entire life and I'm sure he has more connections then some people think he does between him, his brother, and his father.

He doesn't really do much to motivate others though... Unless he retired from QB and ascended directly to HC (such that people that knew him were still in place), none in the locker room would take him seriously... it was only after being an emotional even keel for 4 years that players started to look up to him. That's why I think he could make a brilliant OC someday, but not a HC...

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Current player? Eli, he's been around the game his entire life and I'm sure he has more connections then some people think he does between him, his brother, and his father.Is it bad to think Eli is too quiet to be a HC? I was thinking more of a OC for him.

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 08:31 PM
I honestly could see Antrel Rolle being a head coach. Hes fiesty in the media, a defensive leader, and knows defense, and has played all secondary spots. I could see him like a Herm Edwards type down the rd.Antrel is an interesting choice.

Toadofsteel
07-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Is it bad to think Eli is too quiet to be a HC? I was thinking more of a OC for him.

I think I just beat you to the punch on that bro :P

j/k, it just goes to show that great minds think alike...

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I think I just beat you to the punch on that bro :Pj/k, it just goes to show that great minds think alike...Lol yeah you did. I mean I like his quietness, as a player. If Ahmad was still with us, he's make a great head coach.

Giantz4Life
07-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Current I have no idea, but I always thought Antonio Pierce would've made a good coach. He had a really high football IQ in his playing days, and seemed like he was respected by his peers.

Bing Crosby
07-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Is it bad to think Eli is too quiet to be a HC? I was thinking more of a OC for him.

I think Eli can motivate and lead people without being Mike Ditka. It wouldn't surprise me that behind closed doors Eli makes people respect him much more then some on the board give him credit for. I think he'd honestly be somewhat similar to Belichick. Not in the hard *** on the field way, but instead of the guy who after the game and before is very just "Yes. Next question." kind of guy even more so then he is now.

Also as I hinted at I think he has more "connections" then other players that have been listed so far, and would have a much easier time actually building a powerful coaching tree.

jomo
07-08-2013, 08:45 PM
I honestly don't see a single candidate. That doesn't make them bad people, just not HC material.

Harooni
07-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Keep dreaming Crosby. Id say it would be someone like Alonzo Tweety

Carter.525
07-08-2013, 08:54 PM
James Brewer, he's gotta be good at something.. right?

Bing Crosby
07-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Keep dreaming Crosby. Id say it would be someone like Alonzo Tweety

Still hating Harooni? I'll bet you cold hard cash that the Manning family could put together a coaching tree that would outclass any other single player and their family playing for the Giants today. Your talking about a family that is generations deep, and has more connections then you want to admit.

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 09:16 PM
I think Eli can motivate and lead people without being Mike Ditka. It wouldn't surprise me that behind closed doors Eli makes people respect him much more then some on the board give him credit for. I think he'd honestly be somewhat similar to Belichick. Not in the hard *** on the field way, but instead of the guy who after the game and before is very just "Yes. Next question." kind of guy even more so then he is now.Also as I hinted at I think he has more "connections" then other players that have been listed so far, and would have a much easier time actually building a powerful coaching tree.That is true. There's more to coaching than having charisma and flare.

Harooni
07-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Still hating Harooni? I'll bet you cold hard cash that the Manning family could put together a coaching tree that would outclass any other single player and their family playing for the Giants today. Your talking about a family that is generations deep, and has more connections then you want to admit. i just dont see it. not peyton not eli . i guess who wants to coach with 150mil in the bank. lol

GoDeep80
07-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Herz would be a pretty good coach I think.

Bing Crosby
07-08-2013, 09:32 PM
i just dont see it. not peyton not eli . i guess who wants to coach with 150mil in the bank. lol

That's very true. I don't know if either Eli or any player today would want to coach. But if the question is who playing today could be the best HC? Which to me also means who could build the best coaching staff, it's Eli hands down. We all know Eli would bring in his family connections, and even with Peyton the only way he wouldn't help Eli build a coaching staff is if he was building his own coaching staff. Archie would help both brothers, and we are missing another simple fact. I have no doubt that of the players playing today Eli would get Coughlin's help and his connections above anyone else who would ask for help once he retired. Now I'm sure Eli isn't the only player Coughlin would help, but I do think he would be in the front of the line

Harooni
07-08-2013, 09:33 PM
His first speech to the team might be comical though. almost like screech when he gets in front of the class.

Roosevelt
07-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Good choice.

Steve's a great communicator. He'll probably become a broadcaster after football though.

Roosevelt
07-08-2013, 09:40 PM
i just dont see it. not peyton not eli . i guess who wants to coach with 150mil in the bank. lol

I see the Manning's as owners someday, not coaches.

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Good choice.Steve's a great communicator. He'll probably become a broadcaster after football though.Funny how you say he's a good communicator, he just replied to one of my tweets.

GameTime
07-08-2013, 09:45 PM
once again...the Manning name is metioned by you in regards to even a hypothetical possible successful situation for Eli...
you're really too funny Bro.....

Roosevelt
07-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Funny how you say he's a good communicator, he just replied to one of my tweets.

Yeah, but that's only because of Vic. ;)

(Mods can we get some flippin emoticons that actually serve a purpose?)

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Yeah, but that's only because of Vic. ;)(Mods can we get some flippin emoticons that actually serve a purpose?)...How did you know...

Bing Crosby
07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
His first speech to the team might be comical though. almost like screech when he gets in front of the class.

All Eli has to do is hold out his rings and say he has been on teams who know how to earn them. Then say that his coaching staff has been built with the help of his father, brother, and former head coach, and they know how to make a winning program. After that I doubt people are going to care how his voice sounds.

Eli doesn't even need to be the disciplinarian. In the Marines he would be the head first sergeant the guy who is suppose to be respected and idolized. He'd could then send out the sergeants under him to be the real hard asses to do his bidding.

In my opinion you don't need to be able to give a speech that sounds like it came out of Knute Rockne All American to be a good coach. You just have to be able to have the men in your locker rooms respect, and believe in you and your staff. And I think Eli has proven himself a leader that can do that. The kids under him aren't going to be Tiki Barber, they are going to be guys who grew up watching Eli and coach Coughlin. It would be like kids of the 90s playing for a team built by Troy Aikman with the connections of Jimmy Johnson.

When I was growing up if found myself being coached by Sam Huff with a team built under the connections of Jim Lee Howell, Tom Landry, and Vince Lombardi I wouldn't care if Huff only spoke to us a few words at a time. I'd be ready to play.

Bing Crosby
07-08-2013, 09:53 PM
once again...the Manning name is metioned by you in regards to even a hypothetical possible successful situation for Eli...
you're really too funny Bro.....

I'm an old man. In my day family connections had more pull then most people wanted to admit. Maybe things have changed since I was working, but I doubt it.

Harooni
07-08-2013, 10:00 PM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/troll%20face/grand/s4xqhk.jpg.gif

Roosevelt
07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
...How did you know...

You like to brag.

GameTime
07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm an old man. In my day family connections had more pull then most people wanted to admit. Maybe things have changed since I was working, but I doubt it.
I understand that totally. but Harooni, every chance he gets pretty much, brings up the Manning name when related to Eli, his draft day trade, his success in the NFL, etc. Its been 9 seasons he shoud lay off the BS by now.

Roosevelt
07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
All Eli has to do is hold out his rings and say he has been on teams who know how to earn them. Then say that his coaching staff has been built with the help of his father, brother, and former head coach, and they know how to make a winning program. After that I doubt people are going to care how his voice sounds.

Eli doesn't even need to be the disciplinarian. In the Marines he would be the head first sergeant the guy who is suppose to be respected and idolized. He'd could then send out the sergeants under him to be the real hard asses to do his bidding.

In my opinion you don't need to be able to give a speech that sounds like it came out of Knute Rockne All American to be a good coach. You just have to be able to have the men in your locker rooms respect, and believe in you and your staff. And I think Eli has proven himself a leader that can do that. The kids under him aren't going to be Tiki Barber, they are going to be guys who grew up watching Eli and coach Coughlin. It would be like kids of the 90s playing for a team built by Troy Aikman with the connections of Jimmy Johnson.

When I was growing up if found myself being coached by Sam Huff with a team built under the connections of Jim Lee Howell, Tom Landry, and Vince Lombardi I wouldn't care if Huff only spoke to us a few words at a time. I'd be ready to play.

No way I see Eli as a coach. He's 10 years into his career and his OC is still talking how he hasn't fully grasped our offense.

Peyton yes, but not Eli.

Harooni
07-08-2013, 10:05 PM
I understand that totally. but Harooni, every chance he gets pretty much, brings up the Manning name when related to Eli, his draft day trade, his success in the NFL, etc. Its been 9 seasons he shoud lay off the BS by now.

in all honesty i dont see Eli as a HC or coach at all and many of his great fans said the same. I could see him being a good boy scout troop leader.

Toadofsteel
No way I see Eli as a coach. He's 10 years into his career and his OC is still talking how he hasn't fully grasped our offense.

Peyton yes, but not Eli.

That's because it takes a true brand of bat**** insane to understand why he keeps calling the shotgun draw...

Rudyy
No way I see Eli as a coach. He's 10 years into his career and his OC is still talking how he hasn't fully grasped our offense. Peyton yes, but not Eli.With all due respect, Kevin Gilbride should check his own offensive gameplan before he criticizes anyone...

GameTime
07-08-2013, 10:07 PM
in all honesty i dont see Eli as a HC or coach at all and many of his great fans said the same. I could see him being a good boy scout troop leader.
And still you had to mention he may because of connections only.......how unlike you

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 10:07 PM
You like to brag.Well geez.

joemorrisforprez
07-08-2013, 10:58 PM

LOL!

joemorrisforprez
07-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Current I have no idea, but I always thought Antonio Pierce would've made a good coach. He had a really high football IQ in his playing days, and seemed like he was respected by his peers.

Agreed. I think Pierce will one day make the jump.

Antwuan
07-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Eli Manning, Steve Weatherford

David Diehl?

Rudyy
07-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Eli Manning, Steve WeatherfordDavid Diehl?I was thinking Diehl too.

Roosevelt
07-08-2013, 11:54 PM
With all due respect, Kevin Gilbride should check his own offensive gameplan before he criticizes anyone...

Game-planning on paper is one thing. Putting it into action is another.

KG is simply the Art Vandalay of the Giants.

Giants5699
07-09-2013, 12:28 AM
David Carr. Not even joking on this one. Generally backup QB's are the ones that become head coaches. That's because their role is already holding the clipboard and managing some of the offense, and the good ones are pivotal in the development of young players.

RagTime Blue
07-09-2013, 01:12 AM
I was waiting for someone to say Diehl. He's charismatic, although I'm not sure if he's your prototypical "Student of the Game". It doesn't matter though, to be a HC. . .he can have good coordinators, and be a real "player's coach". Think John Madden from the Coughlin school of football.

Toadofsteel
07-09-2013, 07:04 AM
I was waiting for someone to say Diehl. He's charismatic, although I'm not sure if he's your prototypical "Student of the Game". It doesn't matter though, to be a HC. . .he can have good coordinators, and be a real "player's coach". Think John Madden from the Coughlin school of football.

That is true. Personally I think you need some actual fire within yourself to be able to be a HC, even if it's only ever shown to the players and not the media (which is what TC and Belicheck do). I can't see Eli being that way in front of anybody.

nygfanmaybe
07-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Eli already has coaching experience with the passing academy...but I would be surprised if he went that route after retirement. I would be surprised if he did anything other than returning to Oxford and having some sort of affiliation with Ole Miss. His offseason home is there and I am pretty sure that's where he wants to be when his ride in NY is over.

amukamerica
07-09-2013, 08:16 AM
chase blackburn is going to be a hell of a coach one day.

Kruunch
07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Ryan Nassib.

nhpgiantsfan
07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Eli will never coach. He has far too much money to ever need or want to work those kind of hours. You very rarely see players that had mega contracts go into coaching.

Toadofsteel
07-09-2013, 10:40 AM
All-time giants player coaching staff (as it appears in my head):

HC Harry Carson
OC Eli Manning
DC Chase Blackburn
ST Zak DeOssie

Position coaches:
QBs: Phil Simms
RBs: Ahmad Bradshaw
WRs: Ike Hilliard (don't really feel to strongly about this though)
TEs: Mark Bavaro
OL: David Diehl

DL: Michael Strahan
LB: Antonio Pierce
CB: Jason Sehorn
S: actually having trouble with this one...

Strength and conditioning: Weatherford, hands down...

giantscolombia
07-09-2013, 12:56 PM
David Wilson!
Intensity, heart, passion... great coach!

Providence
07-09-2013, 01:14 PM
He doesn't really do much to motivate others though... Unless he retired from QB and ascended directly to HC (such that people that knew him were still in place), none in the locker room would take him seriously... it was only after being an emotional even keel for 4 years that players started to look up to him. That's why I think he could make a brilliant OC someday, but not a HC...

Dungy was a very quiet coach too....

B-Red22
07-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Carr is pretty good at holding a clip board, so I say him lol

giants8493
07-09-2013, 03:14 PM
I say Steve Weatherford. He's passionate, and has leadership qualities.This is hilarious. A punter with leadership qualities, HAHAHAHA.

No one will follow a punter ever.

GameTime
07-09-2013, 03:25 PM
This is hilarious. A punter with leadership qualities, HAHAHAHA.

OK....that makes zero sense.....

Rudyy
07-09-2013, 03:29 PM
This is hilarious. A punter with leadership qualities, HAHAHAHA.No one will follow a punter ever.This post is an epic fail. This is REGARDLESS of what position you play. And punters are people too.

giantscolombia
07-09-2013, 03:44 PM
This is hilarious. A punter with leadership qualities, HAHAHAHA.

hahahah what?!?!

BeatYale
07-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Makes perfect sense. The guy with the smallest playbook on the team is most likely to become a head coach simply because he's a rah-rah / enthusiastic player. Great logic.

History repeats itself. In history, successful head coaches who were once players, are almost never kickers or punters. I can name successful head coaches who were DB's, LB's, TE's, OL, QB etc. but I can't even think of one who was a punter or kicker.

Weatherford isn't going to change that, no matter how much you're in love with his personality.

Rudyy
07-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Makes perfect sense. The guy with the smallest playbook on the team is most likely to become a head coach simply because he's a rah-rah / enthusiastic player. Great logic.History repeats itself. In history, successful head coaches who were once players, are almost never kickers or punters. I can name successful head coaches who were DB's, LB's, TE's, OL, QB etc. but I can't even think of one who was a punter or kicker. Weatherford isn't going to change that, no matter how much you're in love with his personality.Dude, you're taking this question way too seriously. I obviously know you need more qualifications to be a head coach in the NFL then just be a rah-rah guy. Honest to God people..

GameTime
07-09-2013, 06:22 PM
Makes perfect sense. The guy with the smallest playbook on the team is most likely to become a head coach simply because he's a rah-rah / enthusiastic player. Great logic.

History repeats itself. In history, successful head coaches who were once players, are almost never kickers or punters. I can name successful head coaches who were DB's, LB's, TE's, OL, QB etc. but I can't even think of one who was a punter or kicker.

Weatherford isn't going to change that, no matter how much you're in love with his personality.
what about coaches that never played on a pro level. They have NO play book. Your logic is, well, illogical.....

poppa smurph
07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Coaching is about teaching and leading... understanding what makes your players tick.
It's not always X's and O's.
If Weatherford's Human, he's got just as much chance as anyone at having these qualities.