PDA

View Full Version : Politi: Hakeem Nicks Must Prove He's Worth More Than Victor Cruz For The Giants

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 06:42 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/07/politi_hakeem_nicks_must_prove_hes_worth_more_than _victor_cruz_for_the_giants.html

Excerpt: "This was a day to celebrate for the Giants, with the team signing a popular and productive player to a long-term deal, so no one wants to be a stick in the field turf.

But what about the other guy?

Or, to be blunt, what about the better guy?

The Giants locked up Victor Cruz for another five years, a $43-million deal that, in theory, keeps him in blue until his 32nd birthday. Cruz gets his security in $15.6 million guaranteed and stay in a market where he can continue to salsa his way to endorsement deals. The Giants keep their slot receiver at a price that isn’t too far off what they were reportedly willing to pay all along.

Cruz is happy. Giants are happy.

Hakeem Nicks?

That’ll be the question now. Cruz said one of the reasons he signed the contract extension now, and not try to leverage another good season into a bigger payday, was to avoid another six months of answer the same questions at his locker about contract concerns.

Nicks will be the one facing those starting at training camp. He’ll earn $2.725 million this season in the final year of his rookie contract, and while Cruz has outperformed him the past two seasons, he’ll likely demand a larger contract as an elite outside receiver who can stretch the field.

As good as Cruz is – he earned this payday with 168 catches for 2,628 yards and 19 touchdowns – the Giants offense was not the same with Nicks struggling with a knee injury most of last season. The number of passing plays of 40 yards or longer dropped from 18 in 2011 to just 10.

The Giants want both receivers. But if you were picking just one, you could make a pretty good case for the guy without the big contract. Cruz certainly knows his job is easier paired with Nicks.

“I’m concerned as a teammate and as a friend because I want to see Hakeem in Giants blue as long as we’re in the NFL,” Cruz said. “There’s always ways to do things in the NFL, and that’s a (bridge) the Giants are going to have to cross when they get there.” Read more...

GameTime
07-09-2013, 07:56 AM
I think Nicks needs to prove "what" his worth to the Giants is and not necessarily more than Cruz. Of course it depends on Randle, Murphy, etc.
His worht to the team is more important then his worth vs Cruz's...IMO

nhpgiantsfan
07-09-2013, 08:14 AM
On this board there are Cruz people and there are Nicks people. But reality and stats show, that this team is best when both are on the field. If Nicks stays healthy or healthy enough, and helps this team in a playoff run, similar to his 2011 playoff run, he will get a big payday either from us or someone else. The best way for the Giants to be able to lock Nicks up, would be to try and get something done during the season, although that's probably not going to happen. Sadly, if he hits the open market after a solid season, we will probably lose him to a team that will overpay.

Kruunch
07-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Hopefully Nicks can stay healthy. If that happens, everything will work itself out well.

BigBlue1971
07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Hopefully Nicks can stay healthy. If that happens, everything will work itself out well.

+1.

B&RWarrior
07-09-2013, 08:23 AM
We have a dominant passing game right now. I'm going to enjoy what we have right now. It will be a fun season to watch. Who knows what the future may bring.

Nicks on the deep ball, Cruz in the slot, Myers over the middle, Wilson on screens,check downs, and swing passes, and Randle as the third outside option, with Eli spreading it around with his aggressive down the field mentality. We can go to the house from anywhere on the field. We will be NASTY!!!

Kruunch
07-09-2013, 08:45 AM
It's all about Nassib to Robinson.

miked1958
07-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Being a number 1 if he stays healthy he will get more in line with what Cruz was asking for or slightly more at 10/11 per. Weather giants want to pay that much is another story. Best case for giants is nicks has okay season but not breakout numbers due to Cruz, RR, Murphy and Myers also gettin in on the act. That could translate to something like 9 or so a year and we get to keep him long term

penguinfarmer
07-09-2013, 09:35 AM
As if a season of his absence didn't already prove it. Cruz is simply not the same player without him.

Rudyy
07-09-2013, 09:37 AM
As if a season of his absence didn't already prove it. Cruz is simply not the same player without him.The entire offense is not the same without Hakeem.

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 10:01 AM
On this board there are Cruz people and there are Nicks people. But reality and stats show, that this team is best when both are on the field. If Nicks stays healthy or healthy enough, and helps this team in a playoff run, similar to his 2011 playoff run, he will get a big payday either from us or someone else. The best way for the Giants to be able to lock Nicks up, would be to try and get something done during the season, although that's probably not going to happen. Sadly, if he hits the open market after a solid season, we will probably lose him to a team that will overpay. Nicks' future here may also depend on Randle's continued development. But we are best positioned with both Cruz and Nicks on the field.

giantsfan420
07-09-2013, 10:04 AM
one of the added benefits to getting cruz signed is the competition it will breed in nicks. politi is right, and nicks prob is thinking the same exact thing, that he has to prove it.

and, him proving it, is a very good thing for NYG world.

and, I know we're going to have to deal with a lot of conjecture because of the situation, but can the opinion that signing cruz was so important when we did because it would be pivotal in the nicks situation not be treated as if it were impossible? because i have a feeling we're going to be seeing 99% of the articles trying to depict the situation doin so in a way that makes it seem like nicks will be unattainable....

GameTime
07-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Nicks has everything to play for......not really a revelation
1....either getting a big contract from the Giants.
2....or getting one from another team.

MattMeyerBud
07-09-2013, 12:16 PM
On this board there are Cruz people and there are Nicks people. But reality and stats show, that this team is best when both are on the field. If Nicks stays healthy or healthy enough, and helps this team in a playoff run, similar to his 2011 playoff run, he will get a big payday either from us or someone else. The best way for the Giants to be able to lock Nicks up, would be to try and get something done during the season, although that's probably not going to happen. Sadly, if he hits the open market after a solid season, we will probably lose him to a team that will overpay.

I actually have no alliance either way. I think Cruz got a fair deal and so did we, I think it leaves money for Nicks as long as he can live with something along the lines of 10 mil annual and not 12, I think Nicks is the better player, but I think a player like cruz is harder to find and guys like Nicks are easier.

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 12:40 PM
I actually have no alliance either way. I think Cruz got a fair deal and so did we, I think it leaves money for Nicks as long as he can live with something along the lines of 10 mil annual and not 12, I think Nicks is the better player, but I think a player like cruz is harder to find and guys like Nicks are easier.

Keeping Nicks is doable as long as he doesn't expect anything outlandish. Compared to Cruz, his first contract wasn't chicken feed but now he's entitled to a big payday, assuming his performance returns to that #1 level, and Reese will make an appropriate offer and negotiate. As with Cruz, if they definitely want to keep Nicks long term, they can apply the franchise tag and continue to negotiate a long term deal as they did with Jacobs a few years back.

For 2013 I am thrilled we have both Nicks and Cruz to work with Eli.

BigBlue wins
07-09-2013, 12:51 PM
I feel bad for the other teams with Nicks left to play out for his next big contract. He is going to destroy defenses

I haven't said it in previous years, but I really feel that this offense this year is going to be scary good

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 01:13 PM
I feel bad for the other teams with Nicks left to play out for his next big contract. He is going to destroy defenses

I haven't said it in previous years, but I really feel that this offense this year is going to be scary good

Let's hope

Buddy333
07-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Can see him having a monster season and then leaving in FA especially if Randle has a good season.

J. Tuck Rule
07-09-2013, 04:52 PM
If Randle has a breakout year or, the coaching staff feels comfortable with him as the outside guy, I don't see Nicks here long term. Next year, yeah they can tag him but, after that it's going to be up to how much Nicks can get from another team more so than it is the Giants trying to match his demands.

GameTime
07-09-2013, 06:25 PM
If Randle has a breakout year or, the coaching staff feels comfortable with him as the outside guy, I don't see Nicks here long term. Next year, yeah they can tag him but, after that it's going to be up to how much Nicks can get from another team more so than it is the Giants trying to match his demands.
they need two outside guys....Nicks and randle....right? If Randle pans out

Buddy333
07-09-2013, 07:30 PM
they need two outside guys....Nicks and randle....right? If Randle pans outThen you draft one like they did when they let Manningham go.

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 07:32 PM

They COULD continue to apply the franchise tag, but that gets incrementally more expensive to do.

BigBlue wins
07-09-2013, 11:10 PM
They COULD continue to apply the franchise tag, but that gets incrementally more expensive to do.

You know the ratio it increases at? I've always wanted know to know how they figure that out..I'm assuming it's all hammered out in the details of the CBA....

GameTime
07-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Then you draft one like they did when they let Manningham go.
still waiting for that draft pick to become the real deal. I think he will. But you cant keep doing that. Would rather have two established guys on the outside and cruz inside. .......in a perfect world of course.

MattMeyerBud
07-09-2013, 11:22 PM
You know the ratio it increases at? I've always wanted know to know how they figure that out..I'm assuming it's all hammered out in the details of the CBA....

It averages out the top 5 highest paid players at the position. So it varies

gmenfan0488
07-09-2013, 11:43 PM
The entire offense is not the same without Hakeem.

Get used to it. The cap killed us here, I don't think there's any possible way we can keep Nicks. No cap space.

Drez
07-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Nicks' future here may also depend on Randle's continued development. But we are best positioned with both Cruz and Nicks on the field.-I don't know about that. Cruz' deal seems to look like it was made to be able to release him early, i.e right around the same time Randle's contract will be coming up. As much as I love Cruz, I think having 2 dominant outside threats trumps having 1 outside threat and 1 slot threat.

giantsfan420
07-10-2013, 12:51 AM
in a fair world, or i guess fair for the fans lol, nicks would get the same exact deal as cruz. could u imagine if we were able to get both for 6 yrs at 14 mil? that'd be a dream come true and we'd be in a rare situation.

usually, teams have to make a decision at one point between 2 #1 caliber wrs. Last example i can recall being AZ and fitz/boldin. they had to choose fitz and bolden left.

with the timing of when cruz got completed, and the unbelievably team friendly verbiage of the contract, signing nicks long term seems like a sure thing. for me at least. i know, things can look completely different after a week lol. just sayin, how could a nyg fan not be stoked right about now. we locked down the top 3 performing wr the past 2 yrs, no matter how u slice it he put that on the field, and we got him for half what those other top 2 wrs got.

and i think cruzs demands were greatly exaggerated. he seems ecstatic and he signed for basically 7.5 mil or whatever it was per. many here thought he'd hold out for 10.

we just gotta get nicks done before he comes anywhere near free agency

edit-i posted this in the wrong nicks/cruz thread by mistake and dunno how to use the delete feature

RoanokeFan
07-10-2013, 05:51 AM
It averages out the top 5 highest paid players at the position. So it varies There are additional escalators and I will see if o can get that info.

RoanokeFan
07-10-2013, 05:56 AM
-I don't know about that. Cruz' deal seems to look like it was made to be able to release him early, i.e right around the same time Randle's contract will be coming up. As much as I love Cruz, I think having 2 dominant outside threats trumps having 1 outside threat and 1 slot threat. Perhaps. , but you have to sign Nicks first and it doesn't sound as though Nicks is opposed to playing somewhere else for a bigger payday.

Joe Morrison
07-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Nicks still under contract, he has to show he can play all 16 games + playoffs, if he does that everything will be fine, if another 8 game season at 100%, time to move on.