PDA

View Full Version : What player will define Jerry Reese's tenure?

GiantDadx3
07-09-2013, 08:22 AM
EA will forever be associated with Eli Manning as Eli is, without a doubt, EA's biggest contribution to the team. So I started wondering, who will Jerry Reese most likely be remembered for?

Victor Cruz
JPP
David Wilson
Ryan Nassib (If he's a bust)

In anticipation for the new season, I started watching some of last year's highlight videos. David Wilson........ I can't recall ever seeing a New York Giant with so much speed AND agility (I'm in my mid 30s BTW). . As goos as Victor Cruz and JPP are, I think Wilson will be special.

B&RWarrior
07-09-2013, 08:25 AM
I can't think of one player, but when I think of Reese I always think of the 2007 draft class. The best production I've seen out of a rookie class for any team.

GiantDadx3
07-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Many will say that EA was still the mastermind behind that class.

Kruunch
07-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Matt Dodge.

Or maybe JPP ... who knows.

nhpgiantsfan
07-09-2013, 08:43 AM
EA will forever be associated with Eli Manning as Eli is, without a doubt, EA's biggest contribution to the team. So I started wondering, who will Jerry Reese most likely be remembered for?

Victor Cruz
JPP
David Wilson

In anticipation for the new season, I started watching some of last year's highlight videos. David Wilson........ I can't recall ever seeing a New York Giant with so much speed AND agility (I'm in my mid 30s BTW). . As goos as Victor Cruz and JPP are, I think Wilson will be special.

I would say either JPP or a future draft pick that becomes the next "franchise QB". He took a chance in the first round on JPP who didn't have a big resume to say the least and if he stays healthy might be one of the best defenders in the league for the next decade.

Cruz - Could be. If he continues this production, from an undrafted F/A. That is a huge find for any GM.

Wilson - With the two headed running attacks that this regime loves to use. He probably won't put up gawdy AP type numbers so it probably won't be him.

Nassib - You really can't be a bust if you're drafted in the 4th round. Certainly not a bust that would define a GM's legacy. Plenty of 4th round players don't pan out. I really don't think that JR thinks he drafted Eli's replacement here. Just a guy they can develop that will be a solid back up or trade chip.

The easy answer to the question. Jerry is wearing his legacy on two fingers right now, and by the time he's done maybe more.

TCHOF
07-09-2013, 08:43 AM
I can't think of one player, but when I think of Reese I always think of the 2007 draft class. The best production I've seen out of a rookie class for any team.

Not so much success for that class after 2007 though, so I hope that's not the class that defines him.

penguinfarmer
07-09-2013, 08:58 AM
I don't think it will be one player. He's wheel and deal'ed with multiple components, some stars with others smaller cogs, that came together as a whole which is what building a complete team is about.

By comparison, I think Ozzie Newsome is known for the same despite having iconic players like Lewis and Reed.

Kruunch
07-09-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't think it will be one player. He's wheel and deal'ed with multiple components, some stars with others smaller cogs, that came together as a whole which is what building a complete team is about.

By comparison, I think Ozzie Newsome is known for the same despite having iconic players like Lewis and Reed.

Kevin Colbert too for that matter.

slipknottin
07-09-2013, 09:20 AM

How is EA the mastermind for the 07 draft? He was not involved in any way

ShineOnForever
07-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Many will say that EA was still the mastermind behind that class

Ive never heard anyone say that until just now. Considering that Reese was Accorsi's top scout and right hand man that statement makes no sense

ShineOnForever
07-09-2013, 09:25 AM
How is EA the mastermind for the 07 draft? He was not involved in any way

exactly.. makes zero sense

Carter.525
07-09-2013, 09:26 AM
JPP, JRs best pick to date.. monster up-side

Gimaniac
07-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Cruz/Nicks combo. Never had anything like it before.

gmen0820
07-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Unless you land a franchise QB, you're not likely gonna be defined by a single player. Reese has been lucky to not need to find a franchise QB; he's only had to pay for one. That's not to discount what he's done at all, I'm just praising his body of work over a specific move. People are praising Elway for being an incredible executive, but aside from drafting a can't-miss guy in Miller, and signing a first-ballot lock in Peyton, I'm not entirely convinced.

gumby74
07-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Whoever his next franchise QB selection is.

egyptian420
07-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Rhett Bomar

giant-4-life
07-09-2013, 10:41 AM

Right. Because Ernie A. went and got a quality QB that we can build a team around. Being able to lockup actually good players and bringing in new players by either drafting or FA will define JR.

B&RWarrior
07-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Not so much success for that class after 2007 though, so I hope that's not the class that defines him.

Kevin Boss has had a good career, so has AB, SS and Alford had injuries but were good players when healthy, and Aaron Ross is the only real disappointment, but he's still in the league playing and will play for us this season.

Koets didn't pan out and I think Michael Johnson got hurt. I haven't seen a draft class from top to bottom that gave a team that much production for any team. Even DeOssie is still with the team and good STer. LOL I think Koets got meaningful PT.

IMO if you get the first round player right and everybody else wrong then that is not a successful draft class. I repeat, 2007 was the best draft the Giants ever had in terms of top to bottom production, though I think 2004 was the best draft of all time. 1993 was my favorite drat of all time- Jesse and Stray- enough said!

JayMas9
07-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Whoever is Eli's replacement. Chances are the player hasn't been drafted yet. Jerry Reese is a young GM and isn't going anywhere for a long time.

B&RWarrior
07-09-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't think you can judge a GM based on one pick. Any one pick in and of itself is hit or miss. You have to look at his body of work in it's entirety. So far JR is the best GM we've ever had in terms of getting production from all players drafted.

B&RWarrior
07-09-2013, 10:53 AM

He retired after the Kiwi draft didn't he? I know that they start looking at some players 2 years ahead of time so I'm sure he passed along his notes and work to make the transition easier for JR, but I think calling him the mastermind is a bit much.

nhpgiantsfan
07-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Kevin Boss has had a good career, so has AB, SS and Alford had injuries but were good players when healthy, and Aaron Ross is the only real disappointment, but he's still in the league playing and will play for us this season.

Koets didn't pan out and I think Michael Johnson got hurt. I haven't seen a draft class from top to bottom that gave a team that much production for any team. Even DeOssie is still with the team and good STer. LOL I think Koets got meaningful PT.

IMO if you get the first round player right and everybody else wrong then that is not a successful draft class. I repeat, 2007 was the best draft the Giants ever had in terms of top to bottom production, though I think 2004 was the best draft of all time. 1993 was my favorite drat of all time- Jesse and Stray- enough said!

I think 2007 provided the most immediate production, in terms of results on the field in their rookie years. But 2009 got Nicks, Beatty, and Andre Brown. I know Brown bounced around a little but is back here and now these three guys stand to be major parts of our offense.

B&RWarrior
07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I think 2007 provided the most immediate production, in terms of results on the field in their rookie years. But 2009 got Nicks, Beatty, and Andre Brown. I know Brown bounced around a little but is back here and now these three guys stand to be major parts of our offense.

2009 may the best year for JR in terms of quality. All 3 could be Pro Bowlers!

BigBlue1971
07-09-2013, 11:19 AM
at this point if one player defines his tenure its got to be Cruz.

for me the 07 draft class who were significant players in our march to the super bowl.

i will remember for that.

MattMeyerBud
07-09-2013, 12:22 PM

Victor Cruz
JPP
David Wilson

Nassib won't have anything to do with Reese's contribution just like Rhett Bhomar and Woodson weren't.

Cruz, JPP, Wilson, Nicks, and 2007

MattMeyerBud
07-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Nassib won't have anything to do with Reese's contribution just like Rhett Bhomar and Woodson weren't.

Cruz, JPP, Wilson, Nicks, and 2007

I would also like to add the brilliant FA signings of Kawika Mitchell, Sam Madison, Ballard, and Weatherford

Providence
07-09-2013, 05:22 PM
This is a strange question. When has a GM's tenure ever been defined by a single player? I am sure clowns try to do it, but what respectable fan, former player, analyst, writer, etc. has ever proposed that a GM's legacy sinks or swims on the back of one player? Given all the important tasks of a GM it seems like a silly question to ask. But hey, it's the offseason, so I get it!

BeatYale
07-09-2013, 05:32 PM

Why would a 4th round pick busting out of the NFL define a GM's tenure? Regardless of his college production, expectations are low and his salary is cheap. Nobody is going to look back and say "Reese really screwed up by drafting a QB in the 4th round that didn't develop into a starter." Bomar was a 5th rounder that didn't even develop into a backup QB for us, there's not much negative discussion about Reese wasting a draft pick on him.

The only way the Nassib pick define's Reese's career as our GM, is if he develops into a franchise QB during or after the Eli era.

nhpgiantsfan
07-09-2013, 05:44 PM
This is a strange question. When has a GM's tenure ever been defined by a single player? I am sure clowns try to do it, but what respectable fan, former player, analyst, writer, etc. has ever proposed that a GM's legacy sinks or swims on the back of one player? Given all the important tasks of a GM it seems like a silly question to ask. But hey, it's the offseason, so I get it!

I don't think every good GM has to have a defining moment or aquisition. But there are times when you can look back at a GM and remember him for a certain thing. IE: Accorsi was a great GM but will always be remembered by pulling off the draft day trade for Eli. George Young will be known for bringing in Parcells, LT, and Simms, and turning around the franchise. It may not always be a single player. At this point I don't think JR has that defining player, but two SB's in your first 5 seasons as GM is not a bad thing to hang your hat on.

BigBlueAllDay
07-09-2013, 05:48 PM
With first rounder Nicks and undrafted surprise Cruz, I'd have to include 3rd rounder Mario Manningham as a success as well under JR's tenure. Can't forget the unstoppable WR trio of 2011.

gmen46
07-09-2013, 09:10 PM

I agree with this.

But here's my take on Ernie as a GM. It's very clear by his comments over the years that he was haunted by the Elway fiasco. It occurred his 2nd year as a GM, and clearly he never got over it (and who would, really?). 21 years later, he sees an opportunity to make up for it--a rare "do over" in real life that few, if any, people ever have. He grabs that 2nd chance--even almost blows it at the last minute because he was forced to trust the questionable character of Chargers' Smith--and it results in a major success for him and for the Giants.

I agree it's a bit silly to judge an NFL GM (or any individual really) by any single move or player, but my guess is that Ernie himself was suffering silently for a single failure early in his career, and was prepared to be judged by that. And now I'm sure he's pleased as hell if he's judged only by a single success story near the end of his career.

BTW, "I don't roll on the Shabbatz!"

giantsacks
07-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Jpp hands down

Delicreep
07-09-2013, 09:41 PM
I think GM's remembered by a single player are the exception, not the rule.

Having said that, the 2007 class was pretty sweet.

Providence
07-09-2013, 10:10 PM
I agree with this.

But here's my take on Ernie as a GM. It's very clear by his comments over the years that he was haunted by the Elway fiasco. It occurred his 2nd year as a GM, and clearly he never got over it (and who would, really?). 21 years later, he sees an opportunity to make up for it--a rare "do over" in real life that few, if any, people ever have. He grabs that 2nd chance--even almost blows it at the last minute because he was forced to trust the questionable character of Chargers' Smith--and it results in a major success for him and for the Giants.

I agree it's a bit silly to judge an NFL GM (or any individual really) by any single move or player, but my guess is that Ernie himself was suffering silently for a single failure early in his career, and was prepared to be judged by that. And now I'm sure he's pleased as hell if he's judged only by a single success story near the end of his career.

BTW, "I don't roll on the Shabbatz!"

I hear where your coming from. However, the whole "Ernie was righting a wrong from 20 years previous" is a nice tag line to sell magazines and cable shows, but it's not necessarily reality. Acorsi was a GM, an insider, a business man, he took it in stride. Sure he wanted to do a better job, but I doubt it kept him up nights like Scott Nrowood going wide-right. I don't know, I don't know the guy. It just seems like the drama of the two deals, while certainly intense and interesting, have become his defining moments only because they are the most interesting.

"Shomer *****ing Shabbos"

GiantDadx3
07-10-2013, 12:32 AM
I remember a few people making that comment back then....maybe that statement was a bit exagerated. Nonetheless, there were some discrediting JR during that time. But until I have proff, I guess Im wrong.

giantsfan420
07-10-2013, 02:15 AM
I hear where your coming from. However, the whole "Ernie was righting a wrong from 20 years previous" is a nice tag line to sell magazines and cable shows, but it's not necessarily reality. Acorsi was a GM, an insider, a business man, he took it in stride. Sure he wanted to do a better job, but I doubt it kept him up nights like Scott Nrowood going wide-right. I don't know, I don't know the guy. It just seems like the drama of the two deals, while certainly intense and interesting, have become his defining moments only because they are the most interesting.

"Shomer *****ing Shabbos"i see where gmen is coming from tho. when u hear EA speak about Eli and Elway, he speaks about how he HAD to make the move for Eli. I think he actually even said what u think he doesnt do, not sure but in the clip that was poster recently about EA/Eli, I think he spoke to how he couldnt sleep at night knowing he didn't get eli if it were at all possible.

the biggest myth imo is that EA was fine with either eli or ben. like an either or. from how i interpret ea, he would have been fine with ben bc he felt ben was a franchise qb too. but, he absolutely had eli ranked higher, to the point they werent even close.

slipknottin
07-10-2013, 07:20 AM
I remember a few people making that comment back then....maybe that statement was a bit exagerated. Nonetheless, there were some discrediting JR during that time. But until I have proff, I guess Im wrong.

There were people saying the 07 team was an Accorsi team, which is probably mostly true. But the 07 draft class was all Reese

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 07:52 AM
I think Reese is known now and most likely forever for the 2007 draft.

nhpgiantsfan
07-10-2013, 08:31 AM
I think Reese is known now and most likely forever for the 2007 draft.

Why, because they all contributed nicely in the SB season. Still there were no stars in that draft. Bradshaw was the biggest gem at the 7th round. SS12 was good, but we all know what happened there. But half of them are out of football, and the 1st round, 20th overall pick, most would say is a bust. I happen to like Aaron Ross, and he played nicely for us in 2 SB years, but if you look around these boards there is very little love for him.

In 2009 he got Nicks in the 1st, and then in the third he got what appears to be a real good franchise LT, when most teams use a 1st round pick to find there LT.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 08:34 AM
I guess I'd rather be known for a GM with mutiple rings than for any one great player......
If you have one or more rings as a GM you have done your job very well.

TCHOF
07-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Why, because they all contributed nicely in the SB season. Still there were no stars in that draft. Bradshaw was the biggest gem at the 7th round. SS12 was good, but we all know what happened there. But half of them are out of football, and the 1st round, 20th overall pick, most would say is a bust. I happen to like Aaron Ross, and he played nicely for us in 2 SB years, but if you look around these boards there is very little love for him.

In 2009 he got Nicks in the 1st, and then in the third he got what appears to be a real good franchise LT, when most teams use a 1st round pick to find there LT.

The 2007 draft, with the benefit of perspective, was not a terrific draft for the reasons you point out.

I agree with you that the 2009 draft, which appears to have netted a franchise WR and a franchise LT, was better.

PBTimmons
07-10-2013, 09:29 AM
The 2007 draft, with the benefit of perspective, was not a terrific draft for the reasons you point out.

I agree with you that the 2009 draft, which appears to have netted a franchise WR and a franchise LT, was better.

I would even venture to say we got the best LT and WR in the 2009 draft. Whether or not they are franchise defining players still remains to be seen.

Toadofsteel
07-10-2013, 09:32 AM
I think it will be guys like jpp, wilson, and (hopefully) pugh.. picks that on draft day make us go

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvv4jvx4xj1qemoij.png

But in the end make us go

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/185/885/SANDCASTLES.png

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 10:33 AM

Because it was his rookie draft, they won the SB in the biggest upset in SB history, and virtually all of his draft picks contributed to that.

It's the first thing mentioned any time his name comes up in terms of his drafting prowess.

But I agree, it probably won't end up being his best accomplishment as a GM. In the end, GMs end up getting known for some strange stuff. Tex Shramm is less known for being the first Cowboys GM, or hiring Tom Landry or producing the team with the longest winning stretch in the NFL (20 straight winning seasons with the Cowboys) then he is for coining the phrase "America's Team".

B&RWarrior
07-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Because it was his rookie draft, they won the SB in the biggest upset in SB history, and virtually all of his draft picks contributed to that.

It's the first thing mentioned any time his name comes up in terms of his drafting prowess.

But I agree, it probably won't end up being his best accomplishment as a GM.

I think it's JR's greatest accomplishment because the goal is to draft players that will help you win a SB. However, no one really expects players to play significant minutes the first year that will lead to a SB victory.

If I told you needed to play 7 rookies even during your playoff run during crucial game moments- not just trash time- most people would say there is no way we make the SB and win it all. He got 7 immediate impact rookies. It's unreal!

I agree, with the exception of SS and AB, they were pretty much role players, but I think finding above average role players is what great GMs do. I think it's one their most difficult tasks.

Single moves that JR made that I liked were getting JPP when we had Kiwi, J Tuck, and Osi already. People list Prince, but at 19 the value was a gimme, no real genius or bravery exhibited in that move. I like the Hankins pick too, especially because it's over top rated LBs. AB in the seventh may be the best value play ever.

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
I agree, with the exception of SS and AB, they were pretty much role players, but I think finding above average role players is what great GMs do. I think it's one their most difficult tasks.

That's a key distinction that's rarely made. Great GMs are deft at picking up the multiple role players over one or two particular stars. The Patriots have made a dynasty drafting from that perspective. The GMs that swing for the fences with every pick (high risk, high reward types) tend to have teams that flame out quickly (the Bengals up until they rebuilt the team with Andy Dalton, the Lions under Matt Millen, the Raiders, etc ...).

Unfortunately they don't get the recognition they deserve most times. Scott Pioli will probably be known for just being another dead branch in the Belichick tree, rather than being known for having the most players make the Pro Bowl from a team that didn't make the playoffs (2012 Chiefs).

Giantslb66
07-10-2013, 11:41 AM
All of the LB's he refused to draft?

MattMeyerBud
07-10-2013, 12:10 PM

I think that's pretty unfair to say about the 2007 class

Ross contributed to two superbowls and while he may not of been Revis, he certainly was a very productive pick and I for one am glad hes back in blue.

Smith was a GREAT pick for us, but then he got injured. It isn't like he fizzled out.

Alford same thing, had a career ending injury but progressively got better each year. They had big hopes for him the year he went down.

Deossie is a two time pro bowler special teamer

Boss got his career ended due to injury

Michael Johnson ended up being garbage, but played good his rookie year to help us win a superbowl and was a 7th round pick

And ahmad Bradshaw wasn't just a gem, but in my eyes one of the greatest players to ever put on a Giants jersey. Between toughness and production, AB will always be in my fanatic heart

MattMeyerBud
07-10-2013, 12:10 PM

like who

TCHOF
07-10-2013, 12:30 PM

Ross contributed to two superbowls and while he may not of been Revis, he certainly was a very productive pick and I for one am glad hes back in blue.

Smith was a GREAT pick for us, but then he got injured. It isn't like he fizzled out.

Alford same thing, had a career ending injury but progressively got better each year. They had big hopes for him the year he went down.

Michael Johnson ended up being garbage, but played good his rookie year to help us win a superbowl and was a 7th round pick

And ahmad Bradshaw wasn't just a gem, but in my eyes one of the greatest players to ever put on a Giants jersey. Between toughness and production, AB will always be in my fanatic heart

I don't think that he's saying that the 2007 draft was bad . . . just that it didn't turn out to be as good as it looked like it was going to be after that first year . . . .

Toadofsteel
07-10-2013, 12:32 PM

Honestly I'm more worried when he does draft a lb early, since they never pan out...

GameTime
07-10-2013, 12:33 PM
yeah...that and the 2 SB wins in 5 seasons. Reese sucks.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 12:35 PM
I am way too lazy to look it up but from what I see there really arent that many top LBs in the league and among those which ones did Reese have the opportunity to draft?????

ryan12
07-10-2013, 12:43 PM
signing cruz as a udfa hands down.. jpp very close 2nd

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 12:46 PM
like who

Pretty much any of them (at least the ones of note).

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't think that he's saying that the 2007 draft was bad . . . just that it didn't turn out to be as good as it looked like it was going to be after that first year . . . .

And keep in mind that I'm not saying that it was Reese's best draft. Just what he'll end up being known for.

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I am way too lazy to look it up but from what I see there really arent that many top LBs in the league and among those which ones did Reese have the opportunity to draft?????

The one that really sticks out in my mind was Sean Lee in 2010 but you can't give him too much crap for drafting Joseph in that spot. I still contend our defense would have been better overall with Sean Lee though.

<--- still nerd raging about that.

MattMeyerBud
07-10-2013, 01:53 PM
The one that really sticks out in my mind was Sean Lee in 2010 but you can't give him too much crap for drafting Joseph in that spot. I still contend our defense would have been better overall with Sean Lee though.

Ehhhh that's debatable. Joseph has really been a monster for us

MattMeyerBud
07-10-2013, 01:55 PM
And in fact alot of the LBs people were pissed about (even a few I was mad at) haven't really panned out like Demeco Ryan's, Rey mualuga, and don't forget how bad we wanted to trade up fr rolando mcclain

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 02:06 PM
And in fact alot of the LBs people were pissed about (even a few I was mad at) haven't really panned out like Demeco Ryan's, Rey mualuga, and don't forget how bad we wanted to trade up fr rolando mcclain

Who's "we"?

And I'd argue that Demeco Ryans, or Rey Mualaga would have been a huge upgrade over what we've been sporting the last few years at MLB.

But if we never draft another impact LBer ever and keep winning SBs, I guess I'd live with that. :cool:

GameTime
07-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Who's "we"?

And I'd argue that Demeco Ryans, or Rey Mualaga would have been a huge upgrade over what we've been sporting the last few years at MLB.

But if we never draft another impact LBer ever and keep winning SBs, I guess I'd live with that. :cool:
so basically one and debateble on two other LBs...
so really a non factor. All GMs miss on draft picks here and there. Like you said 2SB wins....thats his tenure so far which is way better than any one great signing....IMO

nhpgiantsfan
07-10-2013, 02:32 PM

Never said it was a bad draft. Obviously the returns that it gave us immediately in a SB season make it a very good draft. I just don't see it is a
"career defining" draft as some are saying in this thread.

I like Ross too, but has he panned out to be anything close to the player that a number 20 pick should be. If anything JR blew it on that one.

And AB was a warrior, toughest Giants in a long time. But "one of the greatest players to ever put on a Giants jersey"?? come on man!!!

ny06
07-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Some all-pro by the name of NaVorro Bowman.
Sean Lee is a solid player for our hated rival (Cowboys)

Imgrate
07-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Some all-pro by the name of NaVorro Bowman. Sean Lee is a solid player for our hated rival (Cowboys)Lee had and still has injury concerns. I'd venture to say he wasn't on many team's board.

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 03:26 PM
Lee had and still has injury concerns. I'd venture to say he wasn't on many team's board.

A second round prospect wasn't on many boards? :rolleyes:

And Sean Lee was on our boards ... when asked why we drafted Phillip Dillard, they said he had nearly the same grade as Lee and was a lot better value.

Of course the missing part to that equation was Lee didn't do all his stuff behind the best DT in college (Donkey Kong Suh).

GameTime
07-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Some all-pro by the name of NaVorro Bowman.
Sean Lee is a solid player for our hated rival (Cowboys)

he became eligible the second day of drafting and was passed up by many,. He was chosen at 91. So Reese want alone.
Either 2 SBs are better than any one singular great player to a GM

Imgrate
07-10-2013, 03:35 PM
A second round prospect wasn't on many boards? :rolleyes:And Sean Lee was on our boards ... when asked why we drafted Phillip Dillard, they said he had nearly the same grade as Lee and was a lot better value.Of course the missing part to that equation was Lee didn't do all his stuff behind the best DT in college (Donkey Kong Suh).1st rd prospect, 2nd round prospects, doesnt matter. Some teams completely eliminate players from their board because if injury concerns

ny06
07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
he became eligible the second day of drafting and was passed up by many,. He was chosen at 91. So Reese want alone.
Either 2 SBs are better than any one singular great player to a GM
Point is we had a chance to grab him in the 3rd round. And many teams must be kicking themselves for not grabbing a player that as of today is one of the best inside linebackers in the game.
And I am very aware that we won two super bowls, but I answered your question of what top tier linebackers did we miss on in the draft.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Point is we had a chance to grab him in the 3rd round. And many teams must be kicking themselves for not grabbing a player that as of today is one of the best inside linebackers in the game.
And I am very aware that we won two super bowls, but I answered your question of what top tier linebackers did we miss on in the draft.

yes you did....all good.
I guess I am trying to say is, and I am ignorant to college players, was he looked at as a top teir player?? he was coming out early and a day late??
Hindsight on Bowman means nothing.....

ny06
07-10-2013, 03:45 PM
yes you did....all good.
I guess I am trying to say is, and I am ignorant to college players, was he looked at as a top teir player?? he was coming out early and a day late??
Hindsight on Bowman means nothing.....
He was a solid player at Penn State, maybe not 1st or 2nd round talent to NFL General Managers. Is it hindsight at this point? Yes. But credit to the 49ers for seeing potential in a player. It's not everyday you draft an all-pro consecutive years in the 3rd round.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
He was a solid player at Penn State, maybe not 1st or 2nd round talent to NFL General Managers. Is it hindsight at this point? Yes. But credit to the 49ers for seeing potential in a player. It's not everyday you draft an all-pro consecutive years in the 3rd round.

:cool:

CowboysSuck
07-10-2013, 03:53 PM
David Wilson is a future Giant all-time great

and as so, Jerry Reese's name will absolutely not be associated with him (except in the minds of die-hard fans).

Does anyone associate the legends of the NFL with their respective GM who drafted them?....rarely

Giantslb66
07-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Guys........I was just kidding around. RELAX

Giants5699
07-11-2013, 03:02 PM

2007 was 6 years ago. Most NFL players don't make it 5 years. If your rookie class is the reason you won the Superbowl, it is automatically a great draft class. SS12 had a career ending injury. Ross, despite the crap he gets on these boards, is a good corner, and he was a beast his rookie year. Kevin Boss is the victim of concussions, but he was a solid TE. DeOsi is still on the team, and as Giants fans we cannot undermine the value of long snappers (Junkin anyone?). Reese is a great GM in that he drafts well (generally there are 2-3 guys from the years draft on the every day roster), he is amazing at finding talent from other teams practice squad (Stevie Brown and Will Hill just to name 2). Reese is one of the best GM's in all of sports, possibly even the best.

Giants5699
07-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Lee had and still has injury concerns. I'd venture to say he wasn't on many team's board.
Also talking about 3-4 linebackers here. Last time I checked, we run a 4-3.

TCHOF
07-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Also talking about 3-4 linebackers here. Last time I checked, we run a 4-3.

Lee could easily have played MLB in a 4-3

Redeyejedi
07-11-2013, 03:57 PM
This is a strange question. When has a GM's tenure ever been defined by a single player? I am sure clowns try to do it, but what respectable fan, former player, analyst, writer, etc. has ever proposed that a GM's legacy sinks or swims on the back of one player? Given all the important tasks of a GM it seems like a silly question to ask. But hey, it's the offseason, so I get it!picking the wrong QB with a Top 5 pick can define your legacy as a GM. If u make a mistake there it an set the franchise back years

TCHOF
07-11-2013, 04:09 PM
picking the wrong QB with a Top 5 pick can define your legacy as a GM. If u make a mistake there it an set the franchise back years

Excellent point.

FBomb
07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Multiple SB titles will define his tenure.

Giants5699
07-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Lee could easily have played MLB in a 4-3
Lee is way too slow for the 4-3. Pierce was faster than him.

Redeyejedi
07-12-2013, 07:01 AM
Lee is way too slow for the 4-3. Pierce was faster than him. To be cont...... Will see how he does this season to see if thats true or not. I dont blame the Giants for passing on him because of his injury even though I wanted them to draft him. I had no qualms about the Joseph pick at all he is a nice player. I doubt we resign him but he is a nice player

Toadofsteel
07-12-2013, 07:06 AM
picking the wrong QB with a Top 5 pick can define your legacy as a GM. If u make a mistake there it an set the franchise back years

Is that a snipe at Tannenbaum's legacy with the Jets?

Kruunch
07-12-2013, 08:26 AM

It's especially annoying when it happens through several QBs ... Brown, Kannel, Graham, Maddox ... sigh.

TheAnalyst
07-12-2013, 08:49 AM
It's especially annoying when it happens through several QBs ... Brown, Kannel, Graham, Maddox ... sigh.

Thats why I felt like trying to find a QB now is the right thing to do. Eli will be 33 at the end of the season. His age will eventually catch up with him. If Nassib turns out to be a good QB, we can transition him in a few years or trade him. Eli has 3 more seasons on his contract. We will have to wait and see if we resign him after that. He will be 36. If he continues to play like he is now, I could see us adding a few more years at a lower dollar amount, but we will be getting the next QB ready.

nhpgiantsfan
07-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Any Giants fan that is not "thrilled" with Eli Manning clearly doesn't remember that run of bad QB's you just listed. Ughh. That stretch between Phil and Kerry was hard to watch...

Kruunch
07-12-2013, 09:20 AM
Any Giants fan that is not "thrilled" with Eli Manning clearly doesn't remember that run of bad QB's you just listed. Ughh. That stretch between Phil and Kerry was hard to watch...

Try Craig Morton, Norm Snead and Joe Parsarcik ... those were the QBs I was initiated with.

Eli is far and away my favorite Giants QB. I was ever thankful for Simms, but he was never the hero (except once) the way Eli has been many times.

Queue Eli vs. Simms debate, part 24525252.

(and yes I'm hoping this drives MS crazy)

fansince69
07-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Try Craig Morton, Norm Snead and Joe Parsarcik ... those were the QBs I was initiated with.

Eli is far and away my favorite Giants QB. I was ever thankful for Simms, but he was never the hero (except once) the way Eli has been many times.

Queue Eli vs. Simms debate, part 24525252.

(and yes I'm hoping this drives MS crazy)you forgot Scott Brunner

Kruunch
07-12-2013, 01:34 PM
you forgot Scott Brunner

Still trying to.

GameTime
07-12-2013, 02:59 PM
you forgot Scott Brunner
and Mike Cherry