PDA

View Full Version : Giants Still In Play For Vonta Leach

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 09:07 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/07/giants_still_in_play_for_free_agent_fb_vonta_leach .html

Excrpt: "We last heard about Vonta Leach on Monday when the Miami Herald reported that the Dolphins (http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2013/07/heat-summer-league-notes-canes-tidbits-leachs-dolphins-decision-drags-on.html) remain the favored landing destination for the three-time Pro Bowl fullback and that he's simply waiting out the next few weeks to see if another team ups the ante.

Although that may be true, the Giants are still in the running, according to a person familiar with the situation who requested anonymity to speak freely on the situation." Read more...

Toadofsteel
07-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Leach is a bruising fullback who has only played on a handful of teams that did not end up with a 1,000-yard rusher -- the Ron Dayne years in Houston were rough, apparently

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

miked1958
07-09-2013, 09:23 PM
As long as Hynoski is on track to return early in season and we have Pascoe to back him up i don't see the need for Leach

kNicksGiants
07-09-2013, 09:37 PM
some people may not like this opinion but i think we should go away a little bit from packages that use the fullback anyways. this offense is built to spread the ball around and throw it all over the place. the running game is important and the fullback is very important in certain packages but i'm tired of seeing the I formation on nearly every first down which results in a predictable play action or run.

i wish they would open things up. coughlin would probably retire before that happens though.

jax5338
07-09-2013, 09:44 PM
wait for henry to come back. use bear in the fullback role til hes healthy and get robinson his reps at TE.

giantsfan420
07-09-2013, 09:58 PM
remember, the giants still havent even disclosed what hynos injury is and they asked him to be mum about it himself.

i think its evident by the fact the giants are trying to sign leach that they dont expect hyno to return that early.

Rudyy
07-09-2013, 09:58 PM
This guy didn't get picked up yet??

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
remember, the giants still havent even disclosed what hynos injury is and they asked him to be mum about it himself.

i think its evident by the fact the giants are trying to sign leach that they dont expect hyno to return that early.

He had an injury to his MCL and a chip fracture to the lateral plateau.

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 10:01 PM
This guy didn't get picked up yet??

He's taking his time to decide where he wants to go.

GameTime
07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I guess the Giants med staff's opinion on Hank will play heavily in the Giants push to get Leach....

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 10:05 PM
I guess the Giants med staff's opinion on Hank will play heavily in the Giants push to get Leach....

It sure seems that way.

GameTime
07-09-2013, 10:07 PM
It sure seems that way.

would hate to see Hyno out for any great length of time. The kid was just getting into a groove at FB......

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 10:17 PM
would hate to see Hyno out for any great length of time. The kid was just getting into a groove at FB......

Hoping for the best

Flip Empty
07-09-2013, 10:55 PM
As long as Hynoski is on track to return early in season and we have Pascoe to back him up i don't see the need for Leach
Obviously he isn't, or else the Giants wouldn't be seeking a replacement. Even when he returns, it'll probably take time for him to get back up to speed.

07-09-2013, 10:56 PM
I was hoping that Hyno was gonna actually handle the ball more this season Fella has some skills.....oh well can't have everything

RoanokeFan
07-09-2013, 11:02 PM
I was hoping that Hyno was gonna actually handle the ball more this season Fella has some skills.....oh well can't have everything

He's not out for the season, yet.

miked1958
07-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Well I guess if they can get leach at a reasonable amount then okay. They'll have to then decide what to so when Hynoski comes back

giantsfan420
07-09-2013, 11:48 PM
He had an injury to his MCL and a chip fracture to the lateral plateau.they haven't disclosed the extent. at least thats what i remember reading. we dont know if he tore his mcl, sprained it, etc. and the chip fracture, if it completely tweaks the connecting tendon, that injury too iirc has ended careers.

do you know the extent of the injuries bc i cant find that info anywhere

miked1958
07-09-2013, 11:50 PM
they haven't disclosed the extent. at least thats what i remember reading. we dont know if he tore his mcl, sprained it, etc. and the chip fracture, if it completely tweaks the connecting tendon, that injury too iirc has ended careers.do you know the extent of the injuries bc i cant find that info anywhereno, I've looked and no luck. So if giants are in fact still interested it would mean there is concern that Henry may miss significant time

miked1958
07-09-2013, 11:53 PM
To bad cause now they have to use money they could of spent elsewhere on the FB position

giantsfan420
07-09-2013, 11:53 PM
yeah, they are being relatively quiet about the specifics. all we know is that he was expected to come back week 1. but we dunno the grade of the injury to the MCL. and that chip bone, I could be confusing injuries, but I believe that has something to do with a connecting tendon thats pretty pivotal to the legs movement. if the bone is chipped bad enough, it messes up where the tendon connects to the hip bone, and then a guys career is pretty much shot. not saying this is what happened at all with hyno, im just saying both these injuries are pretty serious. wish we knew the details, maybe RF does, if anyone would itd be him.

MattMeyerBud
07-10-2013, 12:24 AM

I highly doubt he is. And as awesome as hynoski played for us, hes not Vonta leach. Nd regardless i dont think he is going to be ready.

Mercury
07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
With Cruz finally signed, the Giants know exactly how much money they have to spend. So they may very well up their offer to Leach.

Leach, on the other hand, will go to the highest bidder. If more than one team is in play, he can wait to see who is willing to pay.

nhpgiantsfan
07-10-2013, 09:48 AM
If they add a guy like Vonta Leach to this already powerful offense, the only thing that could slow us down will be health and the offensive line. If the sign him, I think it just shows how bad they want to play a home game in February!!

gmen0820
07-10-2013, 09:50 AM
I think he'll be had at less than 1.5 per.

Gimaniac
07-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Vonta Leach blocking for David Wilson would be epic.

We could PUP Hyno for 6 weeks and give him more time to heal, then worry about how to fit 2 FBs into the roster.

Having Bear on the team means we will never overpay for Leach.

MattMeyerBud
07-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Vonta Leach blocking for David Wilson would be epic.

We could PUP Hyno for 6 weeks and give him more time to heal, then worry about how to fit 2 FBs into the roster.

Having Bear on the team means we will never overpay for Leach.

we ain't over paying for him, but Bear has nothing to do with it

RoanokeFan
07-10-2013, 11:20 AM
they haven't disclosed the extent. at least thats what i remember reading. we dont know if he tore his mcl, sprained it, etc. and the chip fracture, if it completely tweaks the connecting tendon, that injury too iirc has ended careers. do you know the extent of the injuries bc i cant find that info anywhere No , but even if we watched the surgery we'd still be guessing.

Kruunch
07-10-2013, 11:23 AM

Why do you think we're interested in Leach? Hynoski will probably start the season on the PUP list, which means an end of October start at best.

giantscolombia
07-10-2013, 11:30 AM

I really dont think he is coming back early in the season. Why would we look to pick up a BIG name if he was? it makes no sense...

I dont think Pascoe is the answer. Especially if Hyno doesnt come back.

giantscolombia
07-10-2013, 11:31 AM
I think he'll be had at less than 1.5 per.
That and the fact that the NYG are Superbowl contenders...

Book it!

BigBlue wins
07-10-2013, 11:35 AM
As nice as it would be to have Leach blocking for us, I don't see it happening. If he considers teams that are real contenders for a decent price, perhaps a better possibility he joins.

Im just not holding my breath on this one

Flip Empty
07-10-2013, 12:12 PM
That and the fact that the NYG are Superbowl contenders...

Book it!

He just won a Super Bowl with Baltimore, I imagine money is his prime motivation.

BigBlue1971
07-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Vonta may be waiting to make a decision to avoid some or most of camp.

that must be it because I see no other reason he hasn't signed with the Giants.

wayoutwest
07-10-2013, 12:28 PM
He just won a Super Bowl with Baltimore, I imagine money is his prime motivation.

If thats the case then I don't want him in the first place. Yes the $$$ is huge, but playing at this level it should be 2nd to playing to win.

MattMeyerBud
07-10-2013, 01:06 PM
If thats the case then I don't want him in the first place. Yes the $$$ is huge, but playing at this level it should be 2nd to playing to win.

time to come back to reality

lilredk
07-10-2013, 03:19 PM
A last minute acquisition means someone who will not be prpeared on opening day....The fact that Hyonoski is expected back ,means we cannot afford Leach anyway....We will not carry two FB's when Pascoe can do a reasonable job in reserve....Besides ,if we had to resign Leach next year,it will hurt our negotiations with Nicks.....Less money would be available.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 03:23 PM
depends on what the docs say.....
that will be the deciding factor.....

Eli TO Shockey
07-10-2013, 03:29 PM
A last minute acquisition means someone who will not be prpeared on opening day....The fact that Hyonoski is expected back ,means we cannot afford Leach anyway....We will not carry two FB's when Pascoe can do a reasonable job in reserve....Besides ,if we had to resign Leach next year,it will hurt our negotiations with Nicks.....Less money would be available.

a 1 yr deal means leach is off the books next year. At that point, we have a fully healed Hyno to carry us into the future. I dont see how this move affects the nicks signing whatsoever.

giant-4-life
07-10-2013, 03:50 PM
well the tell-tale sign the injury is worse then being let on is the Gmen marketing for Leach still.

the Gmen would NEVER market for a FB unless they absolutely needed to.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 03:59 PM
well the tell-tale sign the injury is worse then being let on is the Gmen marketing for Leach still.

the Gmen would NEVER market for a FB unless they absolutely needed to.
+1
thats why I keep saying this all hinges on what the docs have to say about Hyno......

Gimaniac
07-10-2013, 04:25 PM
+1
thats why I keep saying this all hinges on what the docs have to say about Hyno......

Leach will be gone by the time we really know.

He already has a $2M offer from Ravens according to the rumour mill.

The Giants have over $3M left in cap room after the Cruz deal.

The question is, what else can we do with the $3M?

NYGinIN666
07-10-2013, 04:28 PM

3 mil? Um, we could finally get someone to replace Eli, we could extend Webby, and maybe go after a decent slot receiver. Haha...what could we do with 3 mil. lolololol

RoanokeFan
07-10-2013, 05:17 PM

At this point in time, the CAP space is not an issue. As long as the roster is at 90, only the top 51 players cap hits count.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 05:23 PM

you dont know that.....there is no info on Hyno's recovery or what he docs have said up to this point

Gimaniac
07-10-2013, 06:45 PM
At this point in time, the CAP space is not an issue. As long as the roster is at 90, only the top 51 players cap hits count. The cap is an issue if they sign Leach.

RoanokeFan
07-10-2013, 06:46 PM
The cap is an issue if they sign Leach.

Only when they have to cut the roster size down.

Gimaniac
07-10-2013, 06:47 PM
you dont know that.....there is no info on Hyno's recovery or what he docs have said up to this point

Docs are only guessing at this point.

Gimaniac
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Only when they have to cut the roster size down.

Well that's true, but they can do the math now.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Docs are only guessing at this point.
didnt read that....is there an article or are you just guessing???

Gimaniac
07-10-2013, 06:55 PM
didnt read that....is there an article or are you just guessing???

Common knowledge. Anyone can have a setback during rehab. Just ask TT.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Common knowledge. Anyone can have a setback during rehab. Just ask TT.

so its common knowledge that Hyno's recovery is not really known to the docs and that he will have a set back too...
wow....you really know the deal. All that good info and not a fact to back it up.....nice...

Gimaniac
07-10-2013, 07:03 PM
so its common knowledge that Hyno's recovery is not really known to the docs and that he will have a set back too...
wow....you really know the deal. All that good info and not a fact to back it up.....nice...

No doctor can guarantee a recovery. That is the fact, deal with it.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 07:57 PM
No doctor can guarantee a recovery. That is the fact, deal with it.
the part that I have an issue dealing with is wild *** guesses that mean nothing at this point in time and have no relevance......

The point is you nor I have zero idea what is the deal with Hyno, his condiiton, his surgery, or his recovery.
In that regard commenting on getting Leach because of Hyno's unknown condition is just a bunch of bull****....at this point

giant-4-life
07-10-2013, 08:16 PM
aren't we going to trim a lot of cap space when we trim our roster for the regular season? we have some 80+ guys getting paid now.. cut them.. and that's saved money.. am I correct?

GameTime
07-10-2013, 08:38 PM
aren't we going to trim a lot of cap space when we trim our roster for the regular season? we have some 80+ guys getting paid now.. cut them.. and that's saved money.. am I correct?
good question...I have no idea what the "excess" players during camp account for vs the cap???...
Like Jake Muasau....his contract is for future "playing".....so to speak.

Gimaniac
07-10-2013, 08:40 PM
the part that I have an issue dealing with is wild *** guesses that mean nothing at this point in time and have no relevance......

The point is you nor I have zero idea what is the deal with Hyno, his condiiton, his surgery, or his recovery.
In that regard commenting on getting Leach is just a bunch of bull****....at this point

I'm not guessing anything. All I said was Leach will be gone by the time anyone knows what Hyno's true recovery will be. You are assuming that his doctors can pinpoint his return date. You are the one flinging the bull doody here.

GameTime
07-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Docs are only guessing at this point

I'm not guessing anything. All I said was Leach will be gone by the time anyone knows what Hyno's true recovery will be. You are assuming that his doctors can pinpoint his return date. You are the one flinging the bull doody here.
you certainly make it sound like you know whats going on......
I am not assuming the docs can "pinpoint" his recovery. I am assuming the org may be takling the docs opnion on whether or not Hyno will be able to return this season, be on the pup, or be ready for the season. certainly makes sense they would take the docs opnion into account if they are genuinly interested in Leach....

Toadofsteel
07-11-2013, 11:28 AM

In preseason, only the top 53 salaries count against the cap...

MattMeyerBud
07-11-2013, 01:14 PM

I haven't read that at all...

all I've seen is him getting offered minimum contracts

giantscolombia
07-11-2013, 01:17 PM
I haven't read that at all...

all I've seen is him getting offered minimum contracts

Me, neither. If he would have been offered the 2 mil by the Ravens i'm sure he would have signed by now.

jomo
07-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Me, neither. If he would have been offered the 2 mil by the Ravens i'm sure he would have signed by now.My opinion on signing him would change dramatically at the veterans minimum plus a little.

MattMeyerBud
07-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Me, neither. If he would have been offered the 2 mil by the Ravens i'm sure he would have signed by now.

yea I don't think Ravens would of done that. I think they would basically break even if they would have cut him then signed him for 2 mil.

giantscolombia
07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm actually surprised he has not signed yet.

MattMeyerBud
07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
My opinion on signing him would change dramatically at the veterans minimum plus a little.

he would be invaluable to us this year. We got an inexperienced firecracker RB, a probowl caliber fback whose going to miss significant time, while running an offense that will always have a balance.

I would pay 2 mil for leach with no question, if we weren't against the cap. If we could lock him up for 1.5 or something like that I would do it in a heartbeat.

Hyno's injury will obviously have him out for a while, then when he is cleared to play hes not going to be game ready in shape. Getting a guy like Leach, who can also handle the rock and catch himself, to lead block for Wilson's first year as a starter would be crucial

Flip Empty
07-11-2013, 01:32 PM

No-one knows for sure, but that story was pretty widely circulated. Leach was scheduled to count for over 4 mil this season, which is why the Ravens cut him. They tried offering him that reduced amount but he decided to test the market instead.

ChuckKnoxx
07-11-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure what Leach thinks he is holding out for. I think its a good sign that in the modern day NFL there is actually a fullback holding out offers from teams in need of his services. Impressive considering for a decade or so the position almost became an afterthought.

timmytimm3
07-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Hyno reportedly is on or ahead of schedule

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/07/giants_fb_henry_hynoski_possibly_in_line_for_week_ 1_return.html

GameTime
07-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Hyno reportedly is on or ahead of schedule

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/07/giants_fb_henry_hynoski_possibly_in_line_for_week_ 1_return.html

good to hear. The Giants, IMO, wont pull the trigger with Leach (if Leach even likes their offer) until the docs say what they think Hyno's probablity will be with some degree of certainty.