PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency- $3mil in cap space

Piddy283
07-10-2013, 05:27 PM
I understand we now have $3mil in cap space after the Cruz deal. Iím not too keen on the ins and outs of dealing with cap space, but was curious to know if thereís anyone worth going after with the extra $3mil. Iíve heard Leachís name thrown around as a possible FA acquisition. Are there any worthy LBís to consider? Anyone worthy in general?

RoanokeFan
07-10-2013, 05:46 PM
You have to have some wiggle room when the season starts to account for players going to IR. But the real crunch time is when they cut down to the final 53. Right now only the top 51 salaries count against the CAP so we don't have a real picture.

BigBlueAllDay
07-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Plus first round pick Pugh and fourth round pick Nassib haven't been signed yet. That should be around another $2 mil combined off the cap space.

Piddy283
07-10-2013, 06:14 PM
You have to have some wiggle room when the season starts to account for players going to IR. But the real crunch time is when the cut down to teh final 53. Right now only the top 51 salaries count against the CAP so we don't have a real picture.

Gotcha. I didn't know if it was feasible or logical to go after someone. Thanks!

RoanokeFan
07-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Plus first round pick Pugh and fourth round pick Nassib haven't been signed yet. That should be around another $2 mil combined off the cap space.

That's true, but they are counted in the mix as they pretty much know what their compensation packages are going to be.

slipknottin
07-10-2013, 06:40 PM
You have to have some wiggle room when the season starts to account for players going to IR. But the real crunch time is when they cut down to the final 53. Right now only the top 51 salaries count against the CAP so we don't have a real picture.

The top 51 are all that ever count against the cap...

slipknottin
07-10-2013, 06:42 PM

Giants would have about $1.5 mil in cap space after they both sign

RoanokeFan
07-10-2013, 06:44 PM
The top 51 are all that ever count against the cap...

I learn something every day, sweet, thanks.

LayLow
07-14-2013, 05:47 PM
The top 51 are all that ever count against the cap... All 53 + the P-Squad count against the cap.

Drez
07-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes, there are some players worthwhile for going after. Namely our 2 unsigned draft picks. After that, replacing any players that might get injured during camp or the season. We need a couple million free during the season.

Drez
07-14-2013, 05:49 PM
All 53 + the P-Squad count against the cap.Practice squad players most certainly do not count against the cap.

Drez
07-14-2013, 05:50 PM
The top 51 are all that ever count against the cap...I thought that was only for a certain period during the offseason. After a certain point, all 53 count. Could be wrong, though.

LayLow
07-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Practice squad players most certainly do not count against the cap. No. Once preseason ends its 53 man plus practice squad plus IR plus PUP, etc...

Drez
07-14-2013, 06:02 PM
No. Once preseason ends its 53 man plus practice squad plus IR plus PUP, etc...Incorrect.

speedman
07-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Incorrect.I think LayLow is correct.

slipknottin
07-14-2013, 06:06 PM
No. Once preseason ends its 53 man plus practice squad plus IR plus PUP, etc...

yes, sorry, you are correct.

LayLow
07-14-2013, 06:13 PM
No, it is always the top 51 + dead money.

IR/pup is only included if the player is one of the top 51. Team salary includes the amount a team pays its current or former players under their player contracts. The Salary Cap does NOT include pay to coaches, assistants, trainers, or other team employees. Only the highest 51 player salaries for a team count against the Salary Cap in the offseason while ALL player salaries of a team count in calculating the team total Salary Cap during the season.This includes a player that is on Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP), and the Practice Squad (PS). Practice Squad contracts are included in a team’s Salary Cap during the season except in certain situations where a practice squad player is signed to another team’s 53-man roster.

http://nflsalarycapguru.com/

RoanokeFan
07-15-2013, 12:16 AM
yes, sorry, you are correct.

Man, I have to unlearn something now? :rolleyes:

Drez
07-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Team salary includes the amount a team pays its current or former players under their player contracts. The Salary Cap does NOT include pay to coaches, assistants, trainers, or other team employees. Only the highest 51 player salaries for a team count against the Salary Cap in the offseason while ALL player salaries of a team count in calculating the team total Salary Cap during the season.This includes a player that is on Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP), and the Practice Squad (PS). Practice Squad contracts are included in a team’s Salary Cap during the season except in certain situations where a practice squad player is signed to another team’s 53-man roster.

http://nflsalarycapguru.com/I stand corrected.

Toadofsteel
07-15-2013, 08:03 AM
So I guess that means Leach is off the table...

Drez
07-15-2013, 06:38 PM
So I guess that means Leach is off the table...Leach was never really on the table.