PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Roster Breakdown: Ryan Nassib

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 03:28 PM
http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/7/11/4502262/new-york-giants-roster-breakdown-ryan-nassib

Excerpt: "When Ryan Nassib (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/193609/ryan-nassib) was still on the board at the beginning of Day 3 of the 2013 NFL Draft (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-draft) the New York Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) decided that even though they didn't need a quarterback that Nassib was too high on their draft board to pass up. So they traded up in the fourth round, surrendering their fifth-round pick in the process, to get him. Director of College Scouting Marc Ross said Nassib "was just too good of a value" to pass up.

Let's focus on the rookie quarterback from Syracuse University as we continue our player-by-player breakdown of the 90-man roster the Giants will bring to training camp.

2012 Season In Review

Nassib finished a stellar career at Syracuse by completing 62.4 percent of his passes (294-of-471) for 3,794 yards, with 26 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He had a passer rating of 143.3.

"When I look at quarterbacks, I don’t look at arm strength and all that. That stuff is secondary to me," Ross said. "I look at guys who are leaders and winners and raise the level of their team and when they’re on the field they have a presence about them and some moxie to them."This guy just has a presence about him around his team, and then at the Senior Bowl (http://www.sbnation.com/senior-bowl) around guys he didn’t know. Those are the winning attributes for me that I look for in quarterbacks" Read more...

Kruunch
07-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Kruunch's breakdown of Nassib:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Wood-clipboard.jpg/220px-Wood-clipboard.jpg

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 05:11 PM
What happens if Nassib has a pre-season like Cruz's first?

Rusty192
07-11-2013, 05:12 PM
STARTER

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 05:13 PM
STARTER

No, I meant in the pecking order

jomo
07-11-2013, 06:04 PM
What happens if Nassib has a pre-season like Cruz's first?You mean, lightly injured then inexplicably on the IR?

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 06:05 PM
You mean, lightly injured then inexplicably on the IR?

Well, damn

jomo
07-11-2013, 06:09 PM
"When I look at quarterbacks, I don’t look at arm strength and all that. That stuff is secondary to me," Ross said. "I look at guys who are leaders and winners and raise the level of their team and when they’re on the field they have a presence about them and some moxie to them.

Either Ross doesn't really mean this or he's not as good as I thought he was. There is no QB in the NFL without a strong arm and quick release. On top of that, they need to be smart, make good quick decisions and do all the other things that Ross refers to.

Arm strenght being "secondary" is just nonsense. If you follow Ross' logic, Tim Tebow should be our quarterback right?..............."guys who are leaders and winners and raise the level of their team and when they are on the field have some moxie."

Sometimes during interviews guys just overstate what they mean to make a point..................like everyone on these boards.

Giantz4Life
07-11-2013, 06:28 PM
"When I look at quarterbacks, I don’t look at arm strength and all that. That stuff is secondary to me," Ross said. "I look at guys who are leaders and winners and raise the level of their team and when they’re on the field they have a presence about them and some moxie to them.

Either Ross doesn't really mean this or he's not as good as I thought he was. There is no QB in the NFL without a strong arm and quick release. On top of that, they need to be smart, make good quick decisions and do all the other things that Ross refers to.

Arm strenght being "secondary" is just nonsense. If you follow Ross' logic, Tim Tebow should be our quarterback right?..............."guys who are leaders and winners and raise the level of their team and when they are on the field have some moxie."

Sometimes during interviews guys just overstate what they mean to make a point..................like everyone on these boards.

I think arm strength is a highly misused and misunderstood term amongst NFL fans. Many think arm strength is literally about how strong your arm is, which is not really the case exactly. Sure, you want to work out your arms obviously, but Tim Tebow has huge arms and he can't make difficult throws with velocity because he has terrible mechanics and footwork. That's what arm strength is in a QB sense... Arm strength really comes from the footwork and core/joint strength. Rodgers is a perfect example of this. He's got a pretty average build and his arms are nowhere near what you would call strong by looking at them. His footwork and mechanics are so good that he can zip it as fast as anyone in the league and make every throw. I'd say the toughest throw for a QB to make is outside the hashmarks because it needs to have a ridiculous amount of velocity to not get picked off, and sometimes it may be a bootleg throw which makes it even more difficult seeing as there's no time to plant your feet.

TheAnalyst
07-11-2013, 06:47 PM

Well, Nassib actually has good arm strength and a very quick delivery. His issue comes when he throws deep. He can throw lazers in the short game, pretty accurate most the time too. His long ball needs work though.

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Well, Nassib actually has good arm strength and a very quick delivery. His issue comes when he throws deep. He can throw lazers in the short game, pretty accurate most the time too. His long ball needs work though.

Don't all our long balls need work?

Kruunch
07-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Don't all our long balls need work?

Not all of us there saggy.

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Not all of us there saggy.

Just wait, time will catch up with you Mr. Verile

Kruunch
07-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Just wait, time will catch up with you Mr. Verile

Denial isn't a river in Egypt?

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Denial isn't a river in Egypt?

lol

Delicreep
07-11-2013, 11:19 PM
No, I meant in the pecking order

Why on earth would the Giants NOT push to have Nassib take Carr's place? If he's capable, it's all upside. And I'm not convinced that Carr is some great back up - it's not based on watching him play, that's for sure.

If it's just for a few games, we might get better mileage out of a QB nobody has seen.

JsBigBlue
07-12-2013, 12:33 AM
I cant wait to see how it all plays out. I get the whole reason for keeping Carr because he knows the playbook and he has started before in the NFL, but what happens if Nassib comes out in pre-season and just lights it up with the number 1s on the field. Then what?

GameTime
07-12-2013, 12:51 AM
I like Carr but I hope Nassib gets the job.....if he deserve's it of course. Be nice to see someone with promise rather then just ......Carr...

Captain Chaos
07-12-2013, 06:35 AM
You mean, lightly injured then inexplicably on the IR?

Now there's a plan that most of us can get behind....

Toadofsteel
07-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Now there's a plan that most of us can get behind....

But Belicheck would snipe him then. And we ALL know he likes late-round backup QBs.

RoanokeFan
07-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Why on earth would the Giants NOT push to have Nassib take Carr's place? If he's capable, it's all upside. And I'm not convinced that Carr is some great back up - it's not based on watching him play, that's for sure.

If it's just for a few games, we might get better mileage out of a QB nobody has seen.

That's what I'm hoping happens. I just don't know if it will happen this season.

Kruunch
07-12-2013, 09:06 AM
I like Carr but I hope Nassib gets the job.....if he deserve's it of course. Be nice to see someone with promise rather then just ......Carr...

I tend to agree with this.

TheAnalyst
07-12-2013, 10:10 AM
That's what I'm hoping happens. I just don't know if it will happen this season.

We would be wasting a valuable roster spot then keeping 3 QBS, unless Nassib has a mysterious injury that IRs him like Cruz did his rookie year.