PDA

View Full Version : Coach Talk: Gilbride On Offense

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 02:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/26505/coach-talk-gilbride-on-offense

Excerpt: "With the Giants off until training camp, we're taking a look at what the coaches are saying about how their positions looked this offseason in OTAs.

Today, we look at offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride's thoughts on the offense:

Rueben rising: I thought it was worthwhile going back and writing again about what Gilbride had to say about Rueben Randle's (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14911/rueben-randle) offseason so far.

While Victor Cruz (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13553/victor-cruz) and Hakeem Nicks (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12586/hakeem-nicks) stayed away from voluntary OTAs, Randle took advantage of added reps with Eli Manning (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5526/eli-manning).

"No question ... Rueben benefited," Gilbride said last month. "I would say that he and the guys in the slot position benefited the most. Rueben, you see emerging from a guy that showed flashes at times. He always caught the ball well but maybe didn't always run the routes as precisely, as crisply as you wanted. He didn't have quite the understanding you wanted.

"He looked like a guy that has been here for five or six years," Gilbride continued on what Randle showed in the offseason. "He really benefited from the opportunity. His whole demeanor, his whole professionalism, was outstanding."

Gilbride raved about Randle showing leadership in OTAs and minicamp.

"He certainly stepped into a leadership role," Gilbride said. "Not only did he grow, he kind of became the bell cow of the receiving corps. ... That was not what we saw last year; not by a long shot. So to see him growing like that was a great step forward for him, which will help us down the road."

Randle obviously still needs to show progression in camp. But Gilbride made it clear that even with Nicks and Cruz on the field, Randle will see his share of snaps.

"Oh, he is going to play - he is going to play a lot," Gilbride said. "He will play first and second downs. He will be an outside receiver for us. Whether he is at the 'X' or the 'Z,' he is going to play. He is looking like he deserves to be out there a significant time."

Youth wanted: Gilbride has expressed his concern about the offensive line in the past. But for this season, Gilbride is optimistic that his veteran linemen will be healthy.

Chris Snee (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/5559/chris-snee) and David Baas (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8447/david-baas) both underwent offseason surgeries but are expected to be ready for camp.

Gilbride believes both could be healthier than they were last year. But he still believes it was important to add first-round pick Justin Pugh (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15808/justin-pugh), who will be in the mix to compete for the right tackle spot with David Diehl (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4618/david-diehl) and James Brewer (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14098/james-brewer).

"We added some young blood that can come in and look like they have the skill set to be able to play and contribute down the road," Gilbride said. "There is no question, we needed an infusion of talent at that spot - young talent that would be able to come in and eventually assume starting roles. How soon that will be remains to be seen." Read more...

Rudyy
07-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Fire Gilbride.

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Fire Gilbride.

Did you have to so soon?

Rudyy
07-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Did you have to so soon?I should have waited an extra day, you're right.

Kruunch
07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Fire Gilbride.

Oh, you're one of those. *sniff*

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I should have waited an extra day, you're right.

Well, maybe to post 10 anyway

Rudyy
07-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Oh, you're one of those. *sniff*Tears of joy?

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 02:50 PM
I think his thoughts on Wilson are interesting.

Daytona Giant
07-11-2013, 02:53 PM
That has to be a record 1 minute

Flip Empty
07-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Good to hear the stuff about Randle. If Nicks goes down again, he could be able to step in.

His comments about Wilson are a tad concerning, though. I thought he'd have progressed further.

Rudyy
07-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Good to hear the stuff about Randle. If Nicks goes down again, he could be able to step in.His comments about Wilson are a tad concerning, though. I thought he'd have progressed further.He'll learn.

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Good to hear the stuff about Randle. If Nicks goes down again, he could be able to step in.

His comments about Wilson are a tad concerning, though. I thought he'd have progressed further.

He is Nicks' backup so he will be next man up.

He IS progressing, that's key. But remember at VT he ONLY needed to run the ball and he did that exceptionally well. Protecting Eli is paramount and I still think we will see Brown and Wilson sharing the bulk of the load with Brown getting slightly more carries until they feel more comfortable with Wilson's reads and blocks.

Flip Empty
07-11-2013, 02:59 PM
He'll learn.
I'm sure he will, I just want him to explode now rather than later. If the coaches still can't trust him then we'll get to experience Lumpkingate 2.0.

Toadofsteel
07-11-2013, 03:04 PM
I'll hold off on the fire killdrive chant until I see a shotgun draw, or a deep bomb on 3rd and short...

Flip Empty
07-11-2013, 03:05 PM
He IS progressing, that's key. But remember at VT he ONLY needed to run the ball and he did that exceptionally well. Protecting Eli is paramount and I still think we will see Brown and Wilson sharing the bulk of the load with Brown getting slightly more carries until they feel more comfortable with Wilson's reads and blocks.
I know, but how long is this going to take? If this is to be another developmental year then that's half his contract gone with minimal production. Not good value for a first round pick.

Keyword: "If".

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 03:07 PM
I know, but how long is this going to take? If this is to be another developmental year then that's half his contract gone with minimal production. Not good value for a first round pick.

Keyword: "If".

I don't think it's going to take another season, maybe a few games of actual football.

Mercury
07-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Coach Ingram had good things to say about DW's blocking.

RoanokeFan
07-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Coach Ingram had good things to say about DW's blocking.

He has improved and we'll see for ourselves when pre-season starts.

giantsfan420
07-11-2013, 03:30 PM
KG summarized why I personally wanted RR as a Giant. he has a world of talent. he got a raw deal bc of the QB play at LSU, but I expect haaaauge things from Randle.

giantsfan420
07-11-2013, 03:31 PM
and if the season rolls around, and KG still has to "hold his breath" for any reason regarding DW's play (aside from him striking like lightning on a 70 yrd TD or something), we may see more AB2 than is expected around here.

EliDaMANning
07-11-2013, 03:33 PM
RR was ready last year but they kept throwing in Nicks who was useless for most of the year. Hopefully he gets to see the field more this year even as a 3rd option. Should be exciting.

Sovereign
07-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Killdrive is a joke. None of us doubted that Randle would be a quality receiver but why hasn't he gotten his snaps, especially with Nicks hurting? They wait until the last game of the season where he had a great game.

What a joke.

Kruunch
07-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Tears of joy?

Having been a Giants fan since the mid 70s I can say that Gilbride's offense has brought tears of joy to this fan, yes.

The Giants have never had such a potent offense previously (and this includes the 86 and 00 teams).

Toadofsteel
07-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Having been a Giants fan since the mid 70s I can say that Gilbride's offense has brought tears of joy to this fan, yes.

The Giants have never had such a potent offense previously (and this includes the 86 and 00 teams).

That's because in 86 the only top-shelf OFFENSIVE playmaker we truly had at any skill position was Bavaro. Now we have Nicks, Cruz, Wilson, whoever Pope has at TE, Randle, and even Brown (in goal line formations) as big-time playmakers... (No, i'm not going to get into the QB debate, i'm talking ONLY from the perspective of skill positions).

It has nothing to do with Killdrive, and everything to do with the fact that we have actual talent on offense. Coaching and gameplanning won us XXV, as there was a team with backup QB and a 34-year-old washout in the backfield. The only coaching that won us the last two super bowls was TC's hard-nosed discipline... all the big plays we made were downright miracles that Eli pulled out of his *** or were grinded out by the likes of Jacobs or Nicks or Ballard...

tl;dr: **** killdrive...

Kruunch
07-11-2013, 06:59 PM
All that talent needs a game plan.

And Bavaro was never elite at his position ... Just a fan favorite. Joe Morris was for a year or two though.

AllHailEli
07-11-2013, 08:37 PM
He is Nicks' backup so he will be next man up.

Hmm, backup? I expect them to play three receivers most of the time. We are passing like nobody's business.

TCHOF
07-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Killdrive is a joke. None of us doubted that Randle would be a quality receiver but why hasn't he gotten his snaps, especially with Nicks hurting? They wait until the last game of the season where he had a great game.

What a joke.

The joke is this post.

Sovereign
07-11-2013, 09:08 PM
The joke is this post.

A 2 day old baby can think of a more original insult.

jomo
07-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I think he's kidding himself (or trying to kid us) on the OL. One draft choice, and not a stud at that doesn't change what was an aging underperforming, orthopedic surgeon challenged unit.

jomo
07-11-2013, 09:21 PM

The Giants have never had such a potent offense previously (and this includes the 86 and 00 teams).Well, that is true from the skill position perspective, it is not even close. This is by far the most talented group of skill players we have ever had starting with the 2 greatest WR in team history.

giantsfan420
07-11-2013, 09:37 PM
i think gmen46 or krunch provided a great post on the reality of the OL play; it is severely underestimated.

I know it does have its issues, and it seems like at times they are by far the worst OL in the league, but iirc, gmen46 presented a bunch of very interesting, relevant metrics that went to show the OL isn't as bad as perceived. that doesn't mean I'm saying the OL is great, or even good. But I know I was of the mentality the OL was a complete sieve, and it isn't. If Pugh can take over for DD, or and I can't believe I'm saying this, if DD is healthy maybe he can up his level of play even, the OL should be pretty decent. If Pugh can take over, we actually will prob have a very functioning OL. just my take on it as it relates to the O. I think we will be able to accomplish our game plans, which is pretty much all you can ask for from your OL.

poppa smurph
07-11-2013, 09:54 PM

What a joke.Randle had his bites as a rookie and is better off imo, developmental wise. His mistakes were limited and should feel confident going into this year.
Starting the year with a group of WR's including Nicks, Cruz and Hixon, any team would be happy with what they found in Randle.
You play your Big Guys untill the Doc's keep em off the field..

Flip Empty
07-11-2013, 11:05 PM

What a joke.

Having a receiver out there that didn't know the offense too well would probably have been more damaging than running a hobbled Nicks.

I'm not even sure why you're placing the blame squarely at Gilbride's feet here, it seems like it's just an excuse to board the much-ridden, Hate Bus.

GameTime
07-12-2013, 12:02 AM
keep forgetting the armchair OC's on this board are so confident they are right. Too bad you really dont have to try your theories in the real world. .....

TCHOF
07-12-2013, 06:52 AM
A 2 day old baby can think of a more original insult.

Sorry, I thought that a 2 day old baby made your post and was just trying to play to my audience . . . .

DarkSaint
07-12-2013, 07:20 AM
i think gmen46 or krunch provided a great post on the reality of the OL play; it is severely underestimated. I know it does have its issues, and it seems like at times they are by far the worst OL in the league, but iirc, gmen46 presented a bunch of very interesting, relevant metrics that went to show the OL isn't as bad as perceived. that doesn't mean I'm saying the OL is great, or even good. But I know I was of the mentality the OL was a complete sieve, and it isn't. If Pugh can take over for DD, or and I can't believe I'm saying this, if DD is healthy maybe he can up his level of play even, the OL should be pretty decent. If Pugh can take over, we actually will prob have a very functioning OL. just my take on it as it relates to the O. I think we will be able to accomplish our game plans, which is pretty much all you can ask for from your OL. How much blocking by the rb play into this? I really believe Bradshaw's career was shortened because of the disgusting online play and his need to block. I also think it was that coupled with his style of running were the main cause of his health issues. I just hope we don't get DW hurt the same way.

RoanokeFan
07-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Hmm, backup? I expect them to play three receivers most of the time. We are passing like nobody's business.

That would be a departure from the norm, but it's possible. Randle is the # 3 so he will see the field more than anyone other than Nicks and Cruz unless Murphy or someone else shines.

RoanokeFan
07-12-2013, 07:47 AM
How much blocking by the rb play into this? I really believe Bradshaw's career was shortened because of the disgusting online play and his need to block. I also think it was that coupled with his style of running were the main cause of his health issues. I just hope we don't get DW hurt the same way.

Are we the only team who asks running backs to block?

Kruunch
07-12-2013, 08:03 AM
I think he's kidding himself (or trying to kid us) on the OL. One draft choice, and not a stud at that doesn't change what was an aging underperforming, orthopedic surgeon challenged unit.

You mean the OL that gave up a league low 20 sacks last season and has just added one of the top college prospects?

That OL?

Kruunch
07-12-2013, 08:04 AM
How much blocking by the rb play into this? I really believe Bradshaw's career was shortened because of the disgusting online play and his need to block. I also think it was that coupled with his style of running were the main cause of his health issues. I just hope we don't get DW hurt the same way.

So everyone Bradshaw blocked stepped on his feet? :D

giantscolombia
07-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Fire Gilbride.

This guy can handle it differently...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhxcfOqTZ8BIjl21LXQ2B_BAc3zlmh2 LDRdwJR5K2dOqYz54OczGyJOpF1

giantscolombia
07-12-2013, 10:35 AM
So everyone Bradshaw blocked stepped on his feet? :D
What feet?

GameTime
07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
This guy can handle it differently...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhxcfOqTZ8BIjl21LXQ2B_BAc3zlmh2 LDRdwJR5K2dOqYz54OczGyJOpF1
BUddy....what a first class ******. Wish KG would have punched his sorry *** back and laid him out

derekunion28
07-13-2013, 11:15 AM
wilson better step up brown will be starting if he cant protect eli

EliDaMANning
07-16-2013, 03:47 AM
wilson better step up brown will be starting if he cant protect eliand that's the sad reality. Instead of doing the same for some o linemen whose primary job is to block Eli, we talk about benching RB if they can't hold a block.