PDA

View Full Version : I hope the league changes this, its just not fun anymore to see....

BlueSanta
01-01-2012, 06:10 PM
The ridiculous offensive records, set by great players, being broken left and right.

I am tired of seeing defense not matter:

The Pats have the worst defense in the NFL, and they will be the #1 seed in the AFC.

The Packers have the 2nd worst defense in the NFL, and they will be the #1 seed in the NFC.

This isnt an anomaly either:

8 of the top 10 offenses in the NFL will make the playoffs, only 1 team in the bottom 10 offenses is competing for a playoff spot(Broncos).

Whereas 3(maybe 4) of the top 10 defenses in the NFL will make the playoffs and 6 to 8 of the worst 10 defenses in the league will be in the playoffs.

Defense has never mattered LESS. The stats are resounding.

Addressing this should be the TOP priority of the NFL in the offseason. They have tipped the scales too much in offense's favor. They need to start making rule changes. I feel they should start with coverage rules making them more resemble the college rules, the way they used to be.

gmen0820
01-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Yeah because the NFL wants a bunch of defense games, no, they want ratings.

NYSPORTS
01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
It's flag football and we'll see linebackers drop even farther in the draft

FlyingTruck
01-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Huge runs and passes is what makes people tune in. That's the only thing they care about.

Tenspro2002
01-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Huge passes is what makes people tune in. That's the only thing they care about.

Fixed for you. You think anybody watches to see the occasional long run?

Drez
01-01-2012, 06:33 PM
It's flag football and we'll see linebackers drop even farther in the draft</P>

If that's the case, then we might actually draft one one of these days.</P>

FlyingTruck
01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Huge passes is what makes people tune in. That's the only thing they care about.

Fixed for you. You think anybody watches to see the occasional long run?I personally enjoy long runs more than long passes. That's just me. But yeah you are right.

MikeIsaGiant
01-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Yeah I love watching Sproles with a long run, it's actually fun and exciting.

People want to see that. I get excited when Bradshaw runs more than 10 yards.

BlueSanta
01-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Im not asking that they make games a bunch of 7-3 scores. I am asking they make defense matter again. As I showed above through stats, defense is useless right now. It amounts to hoping an offense will mess up so you get the ball back.

Did you see the packers game today? Guess what Packer QB now has the best game by a packer QB ever? Was it Bart Starr? No. Brett Favre? Nope. Well, then Im sure it has to be Aaron Rodgers. Nope. Its Matt Flynn, in his 1st start ever....

Oh and if you combine the total yards of Stafford and Flynn, you have 1000 passing yards in today's game alone.(Flynn 480, Stafford 520) Long term, I think this is bad for football. We are turning into arena football, or the NBA.

Right now There are 2 QBs who not only beat Marinos passing record this year, but they beat it by a LOT. What is amazing is neither of these 2 Qbs is the favorite for the NFL MVP. Nope, the favorite for that is another QB.

buddy33
01-01-2012, 06:42 PM
I love good defensive games.

Those days are over. The league has made it so that offense will rule. You can't touch an offensive player and dare they take a hit that is a little to tough it's a flag.

barran21
01-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Offense=ratings, Rating=money.........if any thing expect more changes to help the offenses even more...

Medisleman
01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I agree 100% that they changed the rules to get ratings, but I 100%
disagree that this is good for the sport. It really dilutes the game. The the NFL might as well now be the WWE. They can call it National Football Entertainment and just fix the games at this point. After that game against the Jets last week it seemed like somebody was in the ref's ears trying to fix that one.

NYfanatic
01-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Yea the league has gone to a dumpster fire.
Really pathetic. I hope Dan Marino doesnt truly feel beaten since the fact Marino would be going on a 6,000 yard season in Todays NFL.

gmen0820
01-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Im not asking that they make games a bunch of 7-3 scores. I am asking they make defense matter again. As I showed above through stats, defense is useless right now. It amounts to hoping an offense will mess up so you get the ball back.

Did you see the packers game today? Guess what Packer QB now has the best game by a packer QB ever? Was it Bart Starr? No. Brett Favre? Nope. Well, then Im sure it has to be Aaron Rodgers. Nope. Its Matt Flynn, in his 1st start ever....

Oh and if you combine the total yards of Stafford and Flynn, you have 1000 passing yards in today's game alone.(Flynn 480, Stafford 520) Long term,* I think this is bad for football. We are turning into arena football, or the NBA.

Right now There are 2 QBs who not only beat Marinos passing record this year, but they beat it by a LOT. What is amazing is neither of these 2 Qbs is the favorite for the NFL MVP. Nope, the favorite for that is another QB.

Do you think I disagree with you? The NFL has become a joke, I used to post, tweet, facebook it to death, but nothing is gonna happen, so I really don't care anymore.

I personally feel that these are all steps to eventually expand the regular season, another thing I don't want to see but I feel is inevitable.

BornLegend
01-01-2012, 06:52 PM
The NFL was already the most popular sport in this country. They're just greedy... EA Sports throwing them all that money to exclusively make football videogames confirms it.

It's ridiculous to see a record held by over 20 years get broken by 2 QB's. To the poster that said this is turning into the NBA, some teams actually play defense. I'm debating should I watch the Bulls tonight over this flag football mess.

BornLegend
01-01-2012, 06:54 PM

Oh and if you combine the total yards of Stafford and Flynn, you have 1000 passing yards in today's game alone.(Flynn 480, Stafford 520) Long term,* I think this is bad for football. We are turning into arena football, or the NBA.

Do you think I disagree with you? The NFL has become a joke, I used to post, tweet, facebook it to death, but nothing is gonna happen, so I really don't care anymore.

I personally feel that these are all steps to eventually expand the regular season, another thing I don't want to see but I feel is inevitable.Exactamundo.

NYSPORTS
01-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Tim Tebow can't even complete a pass and ratings in Denver are still stronger than ever..

hungrrrry
01-01-2012, 07:11 PM
The ridiculous offensive records, set by great players, being broken left and right.

I am tired of seeing defense not matter:

*The Pats have the worst defense in the NFL, and they will be the #1 seed in the AFC.

The Packers have the 2nd worst defense in the NFL, and they will be the #1 seed in the NFC.

This isnt an anomaly either:

*8 of the top 10 offenses in the NFL will make the playoffs, only 1 team in the bottom 10 offenses is competing for a playoff spot(Broncos).

*Whereas 3(maybe 4) of the top 10 defenses in the NFL will make the playoffs and 6 to 8 of the worst 10 defenses in the league will be in the playoffs.

Defense has never mattered LESS. The stats are resounding.

Addressing this should be the TOP priority of the NFL in the offseason. They have tipped the scales too much in offense's favor. They need to start making rule changes. I feel they should start with coverage rules making them more resemble the college rules, the way they used to be.

I agree 99%.....why the one percent? I guess they have to protect the health of the players...however, if you can't handle the pain don't play the game. I worked heavy construction and got struck in the face with a steel pipe one time and with a 2x4 on another occassion...at no point was there a yellow flag to save me. **** happens. You know the players that are headhunters.
They need to allow DBs to make contact up to 10 yards again to help balance this out. I think that would help with the defense being a big factor again.
I think the allure of these amazing records has been seriously tainted...I told my better half I wanted to see all these records beat, but now think that it isn't as special as it would have been if the rules changes weren't made.

fourth&forever
01-01-2012, 07:16 PM
It makes me sick. They keep changing the rules to cater to non-football viewers.
They could give a **** about us real football fans.

Easy-Duz-It
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
i couldn't agree more with this thread. a lot of good points. it's really unfortunate. and what's more unfortunate is that it's unlikely to change for the better.

fizzlestick
01-01-2012, 07:39 PM
NE and GB do not have the worst defenses in the league. They give up a ton of yards and points because their offenses score so much. They get a ton of turnovers. NFL rankings are just dumb and need to be fixed, not the game.

Firenugget
01-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Huge runs and passes is what makes people tune in. That's the only thing they care about.

Thats the only thing that casual pop fans care about. the same people who pick favorite teams because they like their uniforms, you know...Like my wife lol.

I'll take a good hard fought 10-7 grind out any day over a score fest. Soon it will be like basketball where only the last few minutes are even worth watching. I don't like it personally.

Firenugget
01-01-2012, 07:47 PM
NE and GB do not have the worst defenses in the league. <font size="6"><u>They give up a ton of yards and points because their offenses score so much.</u></font> They get a ton of turnovers. NFL rankings are just dumb and need to be fixed, not the game.

Anyone care to tell me how that makes any sense at all?

BornLegend
01-01-2012, 07:50 PM

Thats the only thing that casual pop fans care about. the same people who pick favorite teams because they like their uniforms, you know...Like my wife lol.

I'll take a good hard fought 10-7 grind out any day over a score fest. Soon it will be like basketball where only the last few minutes are even worth watching. I don't like it personally.
The last few minutes of basketball is usually when the losing team starts fouling. I guess you like watching foul shots.

Mr Excitement
01-01-2012, 07:53 PM
I agree with the original post....its no longer a game of toughness.It's more d***le and finesse...Of course everyone likes seeing a long pass or run....but I personally enjoy watching my team sack a QB and make a goal line stand....I miss the defense's of days gone by like the Steel Curtain...The Giants..the 85 Bears....those teams had identities

RagTime Blue
01-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Baseball had two guys break the single-season HR record in one year. . .and ratings were never better.

Hockey has done everything possible to get goals in the net.

Basketball has players making their own teams.

Why shouldn't football change with the market? We have to change, unfortunately. The game isn't going to.

Firenugget
01-01-2012, 07:58 PM

The last few minutes of basketball is usually when the losing team starts fouling. I guess you like watching foul shots.

I guess you didn't read.

fizzlestick
01-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Anyone care to tell me how that makes any sense at all?

If your defense is on the field for 10 possessions in a game, no matter how good you are, you'll give up more yards and points than that same defense that plays for 5 possessions.

BornLegend
01-01-2012, 08:08 PM

I guess you didn't read.
I guess not. I hate when people that doesn't like a sport comments about it. You sound foolish... millions of people will disagree with you. I'm not a big fan of hockey but there are millions of people who love it so who am I to criticize the sport? I think a competitive basketball game is exciting from start to finish.