PDA

View Full Version : With season right around corner, what handful of players are you lookin forward 2?

nycsportzfan
07-30-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm not talking Javadeon Clowney, Johnny Manziel or any of the top 5-10 prospects in the land, but more guys ranked in the mid to late 1st and beyond types.

Heres 5or so guys i'm excited to learn more about this season..

AJ Johnson ILB Tennesee- Big hard hitting physical MLB, that is best against the run, and is somewhat a intimidater. I need to learn more about this kid.

Demarcus Lawerence OLB/DE Boise St- A playmaker who ended last yr with 9.5sacks and 13TFL, while also leading Boise Dline in Tackles. Listed at 6ft 3in 244lbs, could pack on some weight and play some 4/3 end, or possibly be SLB in a 4/3, but obviously looks best as a OLB in 3/4 probably. Either way, i'm following this kid!

James Wilder Jr RB Florida St- We might have a backup RB job open after this yr, and there certainly isn't a ton behind David Wilson and Andre Brown as it is right now. James Wilder is listed at 226lbs and should get a good amount of carries this season with a new QB coming in and Wilder being so big and physical. Jumbo could go for a pound it offense, and Wilder could be a insane backup to Wilson if Brown decides he can't stay healthy.

James Hurst OT UNC- Big and strong, i'm gonna be following this guy, especially if it looks as if Pugh will play inside..

CJ Barnett S Ohio St- Described as a instinctive player with some CB skills, Barnett is one of the better looking underclassmen safties in the nation, and i'm gonna be following closely, with Antrel Rolle being a possible cap casualty after the season, and Will Hill having the off field issues.

nycsportzfan
07-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Also, the CB class continues to amaze me, and i'm gonna be all over that.

Carter.525
07-30-2013, 08:28 AM
CJ Mosley or Van Noy

nycsportzfan
07-30-2013, 10:40 AM
CJ Mosley or Van Noy Ya, i've seen and researched alot of CJ Mosley, so i'm more looking to see if he can be the same player this yr, more then needing to learn about em. I'm pretty much sold on him all ready. Van Noy is another one i've seen quite a bit. I'm sure i'll see alot of both of em again this yr, but i'm no stranger to either, or i'd also have them on my list.

nycsportzfan
07-30-2013, 10:42 AM
WIth many of us on here being Sio Moore and/or Trevardo WIlliams fans last yr, i'm turning my attention to Yawin Smallwood LB UCONN this yr. He was possibly the best backer they had last yr, on the team that ha Moore and Williams, and now gets his chance to shine in the public eye. He is listed at 6ft 3in 235lbs, and had a tremendous 2012 season, which included 1st team ALL BIG EAST.

slipknottin
07-30-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm watching Smallwood as well. Unfortunately that defense lost nearly all it's talent last season. So he may have a tougher time getting involved in plays

nycsportzfan
07-30-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm watching Smallwood as well. Unfortunately that defense lost nearly all it's talent last season. So he may have a tougher time getting involved in plays I'm sure it'll be taken into consideration when teams evaluate him.

nycsportzfan
07-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Darqueze Dennard is the CB whos got my eye right now. I like him alot, and if we don't draft Aaron Colvin or someone else in RD1 to play CB, i'm hoping a guy like Dennard is around in RD2.

titwio
07-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Brandon Coleman, Ha Ha C-Dix, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Aaron Colvin, Jusin Gilbert.... It's going to be a strong class. So much to watch this year.

nycsportzfan
07-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Brandon Coleman, Ha Ha C-Dix, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Aaron Colvin, Jusin Gilbert.... It's going to be a strong class. So much to watch this year. Ya, i've been talking about the cb class since right after the draft. Its very deep, and with Hosley having rookie struggles, and Webby sucking last yr, and not much else around after Prince, i could easily see us picking up a CB or 2 next yr, and its the kinda class where its deep enough to find 2gems..

Darqueeze Dennard is a beast and will be a stud for state this yr. Aaron Colvin is the best corner in the country in my opinion. Bennett Jackson of ND is solid, and Carrington Byndom could be around in RD3, and Justin Gilbert is solid, and Ekpre-Olomu is incredible..etc Don't forget about TCU's Jason Verrett as well, whos right there as one of the top corners in the land. Swann of GA is very good, and the FLA duo of Roberson and Purifoy might be the best duo in the land...etc Thats a crazy number of quality corners, and i didn't even mention Quandre Diggs.

Redeyejedi
08-02-2013, 11:53 AM
New Video i put up. Not a guy thats talked about but Trey Flowers #86 DE Arkansas and Chris Smith DE #42 Arkansas. Chris has a quick first step but I think switches to LB, Flowers has the frame to be a 3 Down DE,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfgatdgsK0U&feature=youtu.be&t=2m43s

Dont forget guys that link in My Signature will bring u to a List of Player Videos in Alphabetical order. We already have 211 2014 Draft Eligible Prospects covered with Videos.

penguinfarmer
08-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Timmy Jernigan. If this becomes another unproductive season for Austin, a 3T may be a priority. You can naturally add Demonte McAllister and the rest of FSU's interior defensive line which seems to be deep.

Anthony Steen and Gabe Jackson. Continue beefing up the interior of the oline.

All CBs.

CJ Mosley seems like a pipe dream. He's a more rounded prospect than Rolando McClain and Donte Hightower. No way he falls to the Giants at 32.

Carter.525
08-02-2013, 10:13 PM
Timmy Jernigan. If this becomes another unproductive season for Austin, a 3T may be a priority. You can naturally add Demonte McAllister and the rest of FSU's interior defensive line which seems to be deep.

Anthony Steen and Gabe Jackson. Continue beefing up the interior of the oline.

All CBs.

CJ Mosley seems like a pipe dream. He's a more rounded prospect than Rolando McClain and Donte Hightower. No way he falls to the Giants at 32.

agreed.. #32 is out of the question.. :cool:

BlueSanta
08-03-2013, 05:37 AM
A guy I am very interested to see if he can get things back on track is Sammy Watkins WR Clemson. After basically the best freshman wr year ever, he was only so-so last year.

Marquis Lee. It is cheating a little to bring him up because he is a huge name. But, he is fun to watch and I think if Clowney didn't exist, this is the kid everyone would be talking about. I want to see him adjust to a different QB.He will likely go to an NFL team with a bad or inexperienced QB, so lets see how he does this year without Barkley

DE Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas. Last year Okafor was supposed to be the monster, and he did play well at times. But prior to Jeffcoats injury , when they were both on the field at the same time it was Jeffcoat who played better.

I also like James Wilder JR a lot, but I think a lot of people are forgetting about Davonte Freeman, FSU's other back. He is a very consistent inside runner and has that compact frame NFL teams like these days. As to Wilder, I have stood face to face with him and that guy is a freak. He played at about 225lbs last year and his frame has plenty of room on it for more. I could easily see this guy playing in the NFL at over 250lbs of solid muscle. I do worry a little about the way he carries the football sometimes and also that he is an injury waiting to happen the way he runs, but still the guy is a rare physical freak. Teams will be keying on the run against this team this year, since they will have a new QB. I want to see how well these guys run when teams know they are gonna get the ball.

Both of Florida's Cornerbacks this year are absolute studs and I want to watch them pick on QBs. Roberson and Purifoy. although Purifoy is likely going to play multiple positions on both sides of the ball this year, he is a cornerback 1st and foremost. I feel sorry for any teams trying to pass on the Gators this year.

nycsportzfan
08-04-2013, 05:44 AM
A guy I am very interested to see if he can get things back on track is Sammy Watkins WR Clemson. After basically the best freshman wr year ever, he was only so-so last year.

Marquis Lee. It is cheating a little to bring him up because he is a huge name. But, he is fun to watch and I think if Clowney didn't exist, this is the kid everyone would be talking about. I want to see him adjust to a different QB.He will likely go to an NFL team with a bad or inexperienced QB, so lets see how he does this year without Barkley

DE Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas. Last year Okafor was supposed to be the monster, and he did play well at times. But prior to Jeffcoats injury , when they were both on the field at the same time it was Jeffcoat who played better.

I also like James Wilder JR a lot, but I think a lot of people are forgetting about Davonte Freeman, FSU's other back. He is a very consistent inside runner and has that compact frame NFL teams like these days. As to Wilder, I have stood face to face with him and that guy is a freak. He played at about 225lbs last year and his frame has plenty of room on it for more. I could easily see this guy playing in the NFL at over 250lbs of solid muscle. I do worry a little about the way he carries the football sometimes and also that he is an injury waiting to happen the way he runs, but still the guy is a rare physical freak. Teams will be keying on the run against this team this year, since they will have a new QB. I want to see how well these guys run when teams know they are gonna get the ball.

Both of Florida's Cornerbacks this year are absolute studs and I want to watch them pick on QBs. Roberson and Purifoy. although Purifoy is likely going to play multiple positions on both sides of the ball this year, he is a cornerback 1st and foremost. I feel sorry for any teams trying to pass on the Gators this year. Wilders running style is fun for a fan to watch. He'd be a blast watching with David Wilson, as Wilson is the speed and Wilder would be the "bradshaw" type.. I can't wait to watch Wilder this yr. I know Freeman will get alot of carries, and is a solid back in his own right though.

As far as the FLA CB duo of Roberson and Purifoy, i totally agree. Purifoy could be the 1st CB off the board in a loaded class and Roberson's perdicted as a late 1st rd CB, obviously albeit, all this could change with as long as we got till 2014 draft. Bradley Roby, Aaron Colvin, Jason Verrett, Darqueze Dennard, Bennett Jackson, Carrington Byndom, Damian Swann, Quandre Diggs, Justin Gilbert, Tim Scott, Bene Benwikere , Ekpre Oloumu, Kyle Fuller, and Ross ****rell will all have something to say about Purifoy being the best corner in the country of course. I just love spitting out all the good CB names, as you can see..lol Its potentially such a deep class, and we will need 1or2 corners possibly, so its actually a deep positon we could end up picking from.

BlueSanta
08-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Wilders running style is fun for a fan to watch. He'd be a blast watching with David Wilson, as Wilson is the speed and Wilder would be the "bradshaw" type.. I can't wait to watch Wilder this yr. I know Freeman will get alot of carries, and is a solid back in his own right though.

As far as the FLA CB duo of Roberson and Purifoy, i totally agree. Purifoy could be the 1st CB off the board in a loaded class and Roberson's perdicted as a late 1st rd CB, obviously albeit, all this could change with as long as we got till 2014 draft. Bradley Roby, Aaron Colvin, Jason Verrett, Darqueze Dennard, Bennett Jackson, Carrington Byndom, Damian Swann, Quandre Diggs, Justin Gilbert, Tim Scott, Bene Benwikere , Ekpre Oloumu, Kyle Fuller, and Ross ****rell will all have something to say about Purifoy being the best corner in the country of course. I just love spitting out all the good CB names, as you can see..lol Its potentially such a deep class, and we will need 1or2 corners possibly, so its actually a deep positon we could end up picking from.

I try to remind myself that current projections really don't mean much. I mean at this time last year, Matt Barkley was the projected #1 overall pick in 2013. Things change so much every year.

Eliscruzzz
08-06-2013, 05:35 PM
I have no idea if he's playing in the NFL this year or not this year but if he's still in college.The RB from Stanford Stefan Taylor.

I watched ESPN's top 25 games of 2012 and he was very impressive against Oregon.

titwio
08-06-2013, 05:43 PM
I have no idea if he's playing in the NFL this year or not this year but if he's still in college.The RB from Stanford Stefan Taylor.

I watched ESPN's top 25 games of 2012 and he was very impressive against Oregon.

He's on the Cardinals. Guess who's taking his spot though for Stanford........Barry J. Sanders (Barry Sanders son). The guy can ball too. He was red shirted last year but I'm excited to watch him play this year.

Eliscruzzz
08-06-2013, 05:55 PM
He's on the Cardinals. Guess who's taking his spot though for Stanford........Barry J. Sanders (Barry Sanders son). The guy can ball too. He was red shirted last year but I'm excited to watch him play this year.Wow is he really taking his spot?? To me that just seems wrong. I know it's one game that I saw but that kid stood out big time.

Also 2 players on defense stood out that game Terrance Brown and the LB 17...I don't know his name.

titwio
08-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Wow is he really taking his spot?? To me that just seems wrong. I know it's one game that I saw but that kid stood out big time.

Also 2 players on defense stood out that game Terrance Brown and the LB 17...I don't know his name.

Nah dude, Stef is on the Arizona Cardinals now. Barry J is taking his spot on the Stanford Cardinals this year....haha. I should have been more clear.

Eliscruzzz
08-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Nah dude, Stef is on the Arizona Cardinals now. Barry J is taking his spot on the Stanford Cardinals this year....haha. I should have been more clear.lol.. yeah I was thinking Stanford, but I think this guy is going to be a sick RB.

titwio
08-06-2013, 06:05 PM
lol.. yeah I was thinking Stanford, but I think this guy is going to be a sick RB.

Apparently he's impressing in camp.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/20130805arizona-cardinals-running-backs-stepfan-taylor-andrew-ellington-impress-coaches.html

Eliscruzzz
08-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Apparently he's impressing in camp.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/20130805arizona-cardinals-running-backs-stepfan-taylor-andrew-ellington-impress-coaches.htmlThanks, I really like this kid I wouldn't be shocked if he is the next Alfred Morris

Imgrate
08-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Mike evans outta a&m...love the freak WRs.

slipknottin
08-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Should probably keep an eye on Shazier as well. He does fit as a giants type Lb. and he might be around the second half of the first.

nycsportzfan
08-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Should probably keep an eye on Shazier as well. He does fit as a giants type Lb. and he might be around the second half of the first. He was the first guy i asked Redeye to make vid's of right after the draft. Hes one of my fave projected possible targets for the GMEN, when thinking of there possible needs next yr. Shazier is fast enough to cover and can blitz. Hes a better Jaquain WIlliams is kinda a poor mans version of Shazier in my opnion.

Other guys i'm hoping early on are Aaron Colvin, Darqueze Dennard, Jason Verrett, Scott Chriton, Aaron Lynch, CJ Mosley, AJ Johnson, Ryan Shazier, CJ Barnett, Hakeem Smith, Yawin Smallwood(gotta do more research though), Trent Murphy, Khalil Mack(dudes a perfect SLB for us).

nycsportzfan
08-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Jonathan Brown OLB Illinois is another player who peaks my interest. Also, James Morris LB Iowa. I think both those guys have some ability. We should be able to rock the LB and CB positon in this yrs draft, where i think we must make a impact. Early on, i'd love to go DE/CB/LB in some order.

something like

1). Aaron Lynch DE S.Florida/ Trent Murphy DE Stanford
2). Jason Verrett CB TCU/ Ryan Shazier LB Ohio St/ Darqueze Dennard CB mich st
3). Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo/Scott Chrichton DE Org St/ Damian Swann CB Georgia

Something to that effect. I woulden't mind Bryan Stork or the kid from Oklahoma at Center at some point as well.

nycsportzfan
08-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Mike evans outta a&m...love the freak WRs. Good call. Allen Robinson WR Penn St is one of my personal fave WR's that could be eligible.

nycsportzfan
08-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Hey Slip, you know anything about Kony Ealy DE Mizzo? I feel there is always a Mizzo lineman to keep tabs on ( Ziggy Hood, Sheldon Richardson, Aldon Smith), and now Kony Ealy. Hes big and athletic and can impact a game with that athletic ability, size, and length. Hes gonna have a huge yr.

titwio
08-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Where do you watch South Florida games? ....I never get to see that school play. Lynch is an animal though from the vidz I've seen of him at ND. I like Shazier a lot too....I've been watching Buckeye games for the past two weeks on BTN. Some people have him projected to go mid to late first round, but I think he's a solid 2nd round pick. Should go somewhere like Bostic, Minter or Brown went this year imo.

nycsportzfan
08-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Where do you watch South Florida games? ....I never get to see that school play. Lynch is an animal though from the vidz I've seen of him at ND. I like Shazier a lot too....I've been watching Buckeye games for the past two weeks on BTN. Some people have him projected to go mid to late first round, but I think he's a solid 2nd round pick. Should go somewhere like Bostic, Minter or Brown went this year imo. U never see S.Fla play? I see em mad times every yr. They are on ESPN or ESPN2 now and again, plus they play in the BIG EAST and alot of those games tend to be on in the Northeast as well. Theres tons of local channels u get that has games on u probably don't even know does. Just look brother.

Redeyejedi
08-08-2013, 09:10 AM
U never see S.Fla play? I see em mad times every yr. They are on ESPN or ESPN2 now and again, plus they play in the BIG EAST and alot of those games tend to be on in the Northeast as well. Theres tons of local channels u get that has games on u probably don't even know does. Just look brother.There are tons of games on cable TV on Saturdays. I would say there are at least 8 on at 12:00 -1:00 .Plus ESPN 3 has a crazy amount of games on 2. There are more games then u can watch even if you are bouncing from channel to channel. CBS,NBC,ABC,Fox all show premier games. ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U,FX, Fox College Sports, FSN,CBS Sports Network,NBC Sports Network theres more then that 2. Now u have Conference Networks as well

nycsportzfan
08-08-2013, 10:32 AM
There are tons of games on cable TV on Saturdays. I would say there are at least 8 on at 12:00 -1:00 .Plus ESPN 3 has a crazy amount of games on 2. There are more games then u can watch even if you are bouncing from channel to channel. CBS,NBC,ABC,Fox all show premier games. ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN U,FX, Fox College Sports, FSN,CBS Sports Network,NBC Sports Network theres more then that 2. Now u have Conference Networks as well I'm more surprised when i can't watch a game then when i can at this point..lol

slipknottin
08-08-2013, 11:10 AM
Hey Slip, you know anything about Kony Ealy DE Mizzo? I feel there is always a Mizzo lineman to keep tabs on ( Ziggy Hood, Sheldon Richardson, Aldon Smith), and now Kony Ealy. Hes big and athletic and can impact a game with that athletic ability, size, and length. Hes gonna have a huge yr.

He's Sheldon richardsons cousin lol. He could be a pretty high pick. There's a vid or two of him on youtube

This could perhaps be the best DE/pass rusher draft of all time.

titwio
08-08-2013, 04:37 PM
U never see S.Fla play? I see em mad times every yr. They are on ESPN or ESPN2 now and again, plus they play in the BIG EAST and alot of those games tend to be on in the Northeast as well. Theres tons of local channels u get that has games on u probably don't even know does. Just look brother.

I've seen them but It's rare... I usually try to DVR the games I want to see when I check what's being aired on TV. Maybe I've glanced over them without noticing I guess (only thing I can think of). I do get most of those conference networks and small cable channels too that Redeye mentioned so ...I'll just keep an eye out for them.

Redeyejedi
08-09-2013, 08:10 AM
He's Sheldon richardsons cousin lol. He could be a pretty high pick. There's a vid or two of him on youtube

This could perhaps be the best DE/pass rusher draft of all time.
Draft ohh LOL. I thought u were saying Ealy was the best of all time I was going to say your crazy.I've been digging for Pass Rushers and here is Vic Beasley from Clemson. He only played 288 Snaps as a reserve DE last year but had 8 Sacks. Far from a complete package but he is super quick and fast I see potential here. Will be the starting Weakside DE for Clemson this season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek67gAd0LTQ

Also another guy I think is coming on is Trey FLowers of Arkansas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfgatdgsK0U

Besides the big names that everyone knows. ESPN has Tuitt listed at 322 pounds. I thought I saw on Twitter someone saying he added weight but isnt a that a little much

nycsportzfan
08-09-2013, 08:31 AM

This could perhaps be the best DE/pass rusher draft of all time. Thats pretty cool that hes Sheldon's cous. The old "football bloodlines" thing. I agree, DE and also CB are mad deep this yr! Thats why i'm so excited, because we could use both positons.

slipknottin
08-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Things I would be interested in this upcoming draft

WR if Nicks doesn't resign
DT - a 3t unless Austin starts lighting it up
OL - need some more depth and future starters there
CB - need a #2
OLB/DE - a guy that can play SAM on run downs and DE on pass downs.
MLB -
Will - I had high expectations for JWill but he has not developed

If the giants do keep Nicks, they really don't have to touch the offense in this draft. Though depth at a couple positions is always nice.

And I will mention this, the more I watch Smallwood the more I see Bowman.

nycsportzfan
08-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Things I would be interested in this upcoming draft

WR if Nicks doesn't resign
DT - a 3t unless Austin starts lighting it up
OL - need some more depth and future starters there
CB - need a #2
OLB/DE - a guy that can play SAM on run downs and DE on pass downs.
MLB -
Will - I had high expectations for JWill but he has not developed

If the giants do keep Nicks, they really don't have to touch the offense in this draft. Though depth at a couple positions is always nice.

And I will mention this, the more I watch Smallwood the more I see Bowman. Even if Hosley improves, we'll need another CB in my opinion. Prefebrely, someone with alittle size to play opposite JPP with Hosley more of a tweener. Obviously we have a couple wildcards in Terrell Thomas(can he stay healthy?), and my UDF Charles James(also on smaller side). I don't know if ur list is in order, but if it is, i think corners more of a need then you do. What if Tuck retires and/or Trace or Ojomo don't improve there consistency? Then we'll have basically JPP, Moore, and Kiwi(getting older).

I'm looking at positons in this order.

CB
LB and DE
Oline

slipknottin
08-12-2013, 10:43 PM
My list wasent in any sort of order. Im hopeful that Nicks is kept, and the offense other than maybe a mid-late round OL doesnt need any help.

I would love to see CB, and 2 LBs taken in the first three rounds. Something like Shazier, Justin Gilbert, Smallwood.

Even Shembo as a 4th rounder if hes still there might make some sense as a SAM/pass rusher.

Im not sure a base DE is high on the list, they have 4, and probably will resign Tuck for the future.
Kiwi and Tuck are both still reasonably young and are capable base ends. A situational pass rusher would be a nice piece however.

I do think with that 4-3 under that they are now playing, they need a guy that is a pass rusher and a SAM. A Parys Haralson type. Thats originally the position they drafted Sintim to play.

I should have included safety in my list. Stevie Brown is going to be resigned I would think, but he is going to be playing more SS and be in the box more, leaving a need for at the very least a versatile guy who can play either FS/SS, but I would think a pure FS with range would be preferred.