PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 linebackers?

tuck&rolle
08-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Any good guys that play the 4-3 this year? I don't watch enough college football to know the defensive systems of every team, but the impression I get is that Barr, Van Noy, and the bama linebackers are all in a 3-4 system. Who are guys that might show up on the Giants' radar this year?

nycsportzfan
08-15-2013, 05:12 PM
CJ Mosley 6ft 2in 232lb ILB Bama is the most obvious fit, even though he plays in a 34 at bama.

Yawin Smallwood UCONN is intriguing. Slip likes him as well, and i'm looking forward to seeing more of em this yr. Its his turn for the limelight at UCONN

slipknottin
08-15-2013, 06:01 PM
This is actually a fairly complicated question.

If you look at the giants history at the LB position since Reese has became the GM you can sort of figure out what they are looking at.

First off, the position I believe is the clearest, is SAM. They have under Reese looked for essentially a LB with the skill set of a 3-4 OLB to fill that position. Kiwi and Sintim are examples of what they want there. A 6'2+ 250+ pound player who can rush the passer, and is physical enough to handle any TE in the blocking game. If they are going to run the 4-3 under more, which seems to be their base defense this coming season, that position is very critical to success.

So I wouldnt take Barr or Van Noy off the board at all (Barr will be a top 5 pick, so hes somewhat irrelevant). Another guy to watch is Prince Shembo from ND. Particularly in the mid rounds. He has that skill set and has some experience in coverage as well.

Weakside you can get an idea of what Reese has looked for too, with Boley and J Will. A lanky (6'2+ 230 or so) guy who can really run, and has fluid hips. They are protected quite a bit in the 4-3 under from being blocked, but they have to have the ability to flow and run. They have the most coverage responsibility by far as well, and need the range to get to the flats.

Ryan Shazier and Christian Jones are guys to watch there. Both are missles and have the range to make plays all over the field.

Finally we have the Mike position, and honestly, I have no clue what Reese wants there. He has brought in big guys who cant run (Herzlich), small guys who cant run (Greg Jones), guys who were decent size and could run a bit (Goff). That position they have spent the least amount of money on by far as well, the only FAs they have brought in were Blackburn and now Connor.

At Mike, guys I personally would watch are Mosley (probably will be drafted before the giants pick), AJ Johnson, and Smallwood.

nycsportzfan
08-15-2013, 06:53 PM

If you look at the giants history at the LB position since Reese has became the GM you can sort of figure out what they are looking at.

First off, the position I believe is the clearest, is SAM. They have under Reese looked for essentially a LB with the skill set of a 3-4 OLB to fill that position. Kiwi and Sintim are examples of what they want there. A 6'2+ 250+ pound player who can rush the passer, and is physical enough to handle any TE in the blocking game. If they are going to run the 4-3 under more, which seems to be their base defense this coming season, that position is very critical to success.

So I wouldnt take Barr or Van Noy off the board at all (Barr will be a top 5 pick, so hes somewhat irrelevant). Another guy to watch is Prince Shembo from ND. Particularly in the mid rounds. He has that skill set and has some experience in coverage as well.

Weakside you can get an idea of what Reese has looked for too, with Boley and J Will. A lanky (6'2+ 230 or so) guy who can really run, and has fluid hips. They are protected quite a bit in the 4-3 under from being blocked, but they have to have the ability to flow and run. They have the most coverage responsibility by far as well, and need the range to get to the flats.

Ryan Shazier and Christian Jones are guys to watch there. Both are missles and have the range to make plays all over the field.

Finally we have the Mike position, and honestly, I have no clue what Reese wants there. He has brought in big guys who cant run (Herzlich), small guys who cant run (Greg Jones), guys who were decent size and could run a bit (Goff). That position they have spent the least amount of money on by far as well, the only FAs they have brought in were Blackburn and now Connor.

At Mike, guys I personally would watch are Mosley (probably will be drafted before the giants pick), AJ Johnson, and Smallwood. Ryan Shazier is really fast. I agree about Mosley probably being gone, so maybe a guy like Shazier to play WILL, toward endish of RD1 would be nice pick. The dude can blitz and cover, and has sideline to sideline ability

Redeyejedi
08-15-2013, 10:29 PM

At Mike, guys I personally would watch are Mosley (probably will be drafted before the giants pick), AJ Johnson, and Smallwood.
Yeah I agree with your insight here on the Giants LB's and im just as lost as you are regarding the MLB spot. The only thing I've identified is none of them are very good

If thet stick with big slow guys Max Bullough of MSU or Shayne Skov Stanford

Redeyejedi
08-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Ryan Shazier is really fast. I agree about Mosley probably being gone, so maybe a guy like Shazier to play WILL, toward endish of RD1 would be nice pick. The dude can blitz and cover, and has sideline to sideline ability I think Shazier and Mosley could go before pick 20. Either 1 would be fantastic but im done hoping for guys like that its not happening

slipknottin
08-15-2013, 11:32 PM
It's possible Shazier falls because he is undersized. Probably 220 or so pounds. He's the guy everyone thought Ogletree was last year.

I do think more realistic options are guys like Smallwood, Christian Jones, and Shembo. 2-4th rounders all of them.

If there is one thing the giants do love in the first is special athletes. Shazier certainly is. One of the most explosive players in cfb

nycsportzfan
08-16-2013, 04:43 AM
It's possible Shazier falls because he is undersized. Probably 220 or so pounds. He's the guy everyone thought Ogletree was last year.

I do think more realistic options are guys like Smallwood, Christian Jones, and Shembo. 2-4th rounders all of them.

If there is one thing the giants do love in the first is special athletes. Shazier certainly is. One of the most explosive players in cfb Yup, ifr his WT checks out(doubtful), he could drop. I'm sure he'll make sure hes at least 230, before the combine though. He was the first player i asked redeye to make a tape of this yr because he'd caught my eye.

nycsportzfan
08-16-2013, 04:44 AM
I think Shazier and Mosley could go before pick 20. Either 1 would be fantastic but im done hoping for guys like that its not happening I think Shazier could be on the board in the mid to late 20's.

Redeyejedi
08-16-2013, 07:08 AM
Yup, ifr his WT checks out(doubtful), he could drop. I'm sure he'll make sure hes at least 230, before the combine though. He was the first player i asked redeye to make a tape of this yr because he'd caught my eye.He will add weight look at Lavonte David he played at the same size. He will be 230 easy by the combine probably 235-240

penguinfarmer
08-16-2013, 08:11 AM
I can't even say with confidence Reese brought in Herz, Jones or Goff with the intention of them playing MLB in the future as much as they just inherited it by default with no one ahead of them.

Seems like he's more intrigued by potential hybrid players like Chad Jones/Cooper Taylor since it's easier to find a safety who can cover than a LB.

Redeyejedi
08-16-2013, 08:13 AM
I think Shazier could be on the board in the mid to late 20's. Yeah its possible 1 misstep from him at that position and he is dropping into the 2nd round. I just have given up on the Giants taking a LB. If we are picking in the teens we arent picking him and he wont make it to are 2nd rounder. The only way we might take him is if we are picking Late 20's and even then if we have any other more pressing need we will pass to take some crap in the 5th round

Mr.TRUEBLUE
10-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Max Bullogh and Shayne Skov

uther99
12-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Smallwood is bad ***. I'm season ticket holder, guy is all over the field

BlueSanta
12-29-2013, 08:34 AM

I couldn't agree more.

The only think I might argue is that we do have 2 guys ( Jwill, I believe Paysinger will be brought back since he is restricted, Rivers is FA) who are natural WLBs already. That means of all the LB positions we are least likely to pursue a WLb early in the draft. If we don't bring Spencer or Rivers back, then I could see it.

That said, I think Christain Jones isn't necessarily a WLB in the NFL either. I think he can play the position but is versatile enough that he may find himself any number of LB positions.

Giantslb66
12-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Miami's Denzel Perryman. FLIES to the ball with great form tackling. (Video of him in Strick's XMAS Mock)