PDA

View Full Version : Time for Coughlin to get the credit he deserves

plaxattack17
01-02-2012, 12:29 AM
i'm so happy for Tom Coughlin. He has gotten a bad rap from alot of
fans, but he's done an unbelievable job this year- with all these
injuries, peicing together the linebacker spot keeping us competitive.
Heck we were robbed beating Green Bay by the officials, we beat the Pats
on the road which was incredible, we torched the cowboys and the
jets...and inparticular he handled himself with class and dignity unlike
that fat slob Ryan. We've had alot of bad games, but Eli Cruz and JPP
have had unbelievable years and this is an incredible achievement to win
the nfc east when we were considered far behind the eagles and cowboys
from the media at the start of the year. Time for superbowl winning
Coughlin to get the credit he deserves!

Sintim97
01-02-2012, 12:34 AM
goff wasnt a good LB...it wasnt injuries that made our LBs so bad..it was our LBs themselves. kiwi isnt a LB. anybody playing beside kiwi and boley this year was a total scrub. im still not letting coughlin off the hook for not putting games away, the gigantic eggs we've laid, and letting subpar qbs SHRED us and BEAT us

giantsforce
01-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Coughlin to get the credit he deserves!That's BS, Killdrive almost lost us this game with his horrendous play calling that resulted in too many 3 and outs. This was all Eli getting away from the pressure and making excellent throws. Good thing the D came alive and eat Romo up. Spear me the Coughlin cudos. I had enough of his style not being able to put teams away early. The Cowboys were just about done if not for the 3 and out and the soft defense that Fewell played in the 3rd qrt.

plaxattack17
01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
its not BS facts are facts. Fact is we won the nfc east, and Coughlin's done a good job. Of course it helps Eli had a near mvp year, but Coughlin shlould be praised.

BigBlueOnes
01-02-2012, 12:49 AM
goff wasnt a good LB...it wasnt injuries that made our LBs so bad..it was our LBs themselves. kiwi isnt a LB. anybody playing beside kiwi and boley this year was a total scrub. im still not letting coughlin off the hook for not putting games away, the gigantic eggs we've laid, and letting subpar qbs SHRED us and BEAT us

Go root for the Eagles then. Loser.

giantsforce
01-02-2012, 01:17 AM
its not BS facts are facts. Fact is we won the nfc east, and Coughlin's done a good job. Of course it helps Eli had a near mvp year, but Coughlin shlould be praised.
Where do you get the fact that because we won, Coughlin did a good job? Actually the facts point that we won despite Coughlin and his staff's mistakes. If it was not for Eli to make critical throws that had to do nothing with coaching, now you would be singing a different tune.

Pakman
01-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Where do you get the fact that because we won, Coughlin did a good job? Actually the facts point that we won despite Coughlin and his staff's mistakes. If it was not for Eli to make critical throws that had to do nothing with coaching, now you would be singing a different tune.

How a Giant fan is crying like a ***** ...tonight of all nights is beyond me

Wes
01-02-2012, 02:15 AM
Where do you get the fact that because we won, Coughlin did a good job? Actually the facts point that we won despite Coughlin and his staff's mistakes. If it was not for Eli to make critical throws that had to do nothing with coaching, now you would be singing a different tune.</P>

</P>

teams have let downs, the packers lost to the chiefs...</P>

heck the 49ers almost lost to the seahawks last weekend.</P>

TC did a fine job winning the NFCE with what little he had to work with</P>

the COACHING staff did well covering up our MANY weaknesses</P>

after we lost SS n boss, after we lost our MLB and TT we were picked dead last</P>

</P>

even when we were 6-2 we were picked to finish last</P>

the coaches and the players overcame it as a whole and they all deserve credit.</P>

jomo
01-02-2012, 02:20 AM
Where do you get the fact that because we won, Coughlin did a good job? Actually the facts point that we won despite Coughlin and his staff's mistakes. If it was not for Eli to make critical throws that had to do nothing with coaching, now you would be singing a different tune.</P>

</P>

teams have let downs, the packers lost to the chiefs...</P>

heck the 49ers almost lost to the seahawks last weekend.</P>

TC did a fine job winning the NFCE with what little he had to work with</P>

the COACHING staff did well covering up our MANY weaknesses</P>

after we lost SS n boss, after we lost our MLB and TT we were picked dead last</P>

</P>

even when we were 6-2 we were picked to finish last</P>

the coaches and the players overcame it as a whole and they all deserve credit.</P>[Y]

53canton
01-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Wow, how can you complain about TC? There is no one better out there now anyway!!

He has 1 year on his contract, so expect Mara to add another year to it. Maybe even 2 years added.

Sintim97
01-02-2012, 02:33 AM

Go root for the Eagles then. Loser.

truth hurts (to homers)

Sintim97
01-02-2012, 02:34 AM

because we're going to inevitably lose in the playoffs (most likely, badly) and this win saved coughlin his ***

TheEnigma
01-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Not the biggest Coughlin fan either but let's see how we finish in the postseason before we bash him. The team came out and played pretty well throughout most of the game. We actually held onto a 21 point lead and didn't cough it up like last year.

scf424
01-02-2012, 02:39 AM

because we're going to inevitably lose in the playoffs (most likely, badly) and this win saved coughlin his ***

Let them play the damn game.

You're a coward. Thats it. Anyone complaining right now is a baby and a coward.

giantsforce
01-02-2012, 02:45 AM

How a Giant fan is crying like a ***** ...tonight of all nights is beyond meNo one is crying. Just pointing out some facts that get overlooked because of the win. This was not Coughlin's doing folks. Killdrive and Fewell almost gave the game away with their stupid play calling. It was the exceptional play of Eli and the D that bailed us out. 3 and outs with the weapons we have is inexcusable. No matter what you say Romo was hurt and they were not going deep at all. If you look at all his completions, they were the 10 -12 yards variety, and they still managed to get close because Fewell got too conservative and Killdrive could not call any plays that would gain more that 1 yard if that to sustain a drive. Running consistently up the middle and not getting 1 yard is not smart coaching. We needed to mix it up. Luckily the Cowboys made more mistakes than us.

giantsforce
01-02-2012, 02:49 AM

I think we have just as good chance of beating any opponent if we play smart. Atlanta is very beatable especially outside their dome. Their defense is no match for Eli and Cruz. If our defense shows up like it did tonight, we win and move on to the next round.

Firenugget
01-02-2012, 02:50 AM

<font color="#FF0000">Yeah, only good coaches suck</font>...You're a troll.

giantsforce
01-02-2012, 02:53 AM

You know what you are talking about. But then again since you are satisfied with mediocrity, you get a pass.

Landshark
01-02-2012, 02:56 AM
When he fires Gilbride and Fewell, I'll give him credit, but not before... Those two will cost us in the playoffs, not the players...

Firenugget
01-02-2012, 02:58 AM

You know what you are talking about. But then again since you are satisfied with mediocrity, you get a pass.

If a superbowl and 2 div titles in 4 years is mediocrity, yeah I'll take that any day. In fact there's about 28 teams in the NFL that would take it as well. You're like a spoiled child. If you're not in the SB every year you cry for change? Give me a break.

RoanokeFan
01-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Not the biggest Coughlin fan either but let's see how we finish in the postseason before we bash him. The team came out and played pretty well throughout most of the game. We actually held onto a 21 point lead and didn't cough it up like last year.

If we were to go on to win the Super Bowl, this crowd would still say it was despite Coughlin and the coaching staff lol

simms56
01-02-2012, 03:07 AM
The team stepped up and won the last two games, but that doesn't negate what came before. Eli, JPP, Cruz and Boley saved this team over and over. Tonight Eli, JPP and Tuck won the game in spite of the terrible coordinators. I wanted to strangle them in the third. No way this team wins without Eli improvising and making a couple HUGE throws to Cruz and a couple HUGE audibles. Also, Boley's stop on that 4th when the moron Garrett should have kicked a FG and kept the momentum. I like Coughlin, but its hard to look past 7 out of 8 years of 2nd half collapses and several really bad DC's. Hopefully we can finally win a home playoff game and start a new trend.

giantsforce
01-02-2012, 03:14 AM

If a superbowl and 2 div titles in 4 years is mediocrity, yeah I'll take that any day. In fact there's about 28 teams in the NFL that would take it as well. You're like a spoiled child. If you're not in the SB every year you cry for change? Give me a break.
No, I cry when I see under this coaching staff a lot of let downs. I do not mind losing to better teams. It is the lack of effort that this team has exhibited under this HC on big games. 1 SB and 2 div titles in 8 years not 4. Just in case you forgot Coughlin has been here since 2004. Oh, let's not forget that we got bounced on the 1st round by the wild cards we played as a Divisional Champs twice. So much for success. But then again, you see mediocrity as success so, I understand where you are coming from. Fortunately some of us have higher expectations and standards for our team: Win or lose, we expect them to play well.

giantsforce
01-02-2012, 03:18 AM

If we were to go on to win the Super Bowl, this crowd would still say it was despite Coughlin and the coaching staff* lol
We will cross that bridge when we get there, if we get there. Coughlin does not have a great record in the play offs. It seems that his teams get bounced out of the playoffs very early. So, I will wait and see the result. But so far, the only consistent thing if his inconsistency.

rondayneblows
01-02-2012, 03:39 AM

No, I cry when I see under this coaching staff a lot of let downs. I do not mind losing to better teams. It is the lack of effort that this team has exhibited under this HC on big games. 1 SB and 2 div titles in 8 years not 4. Just in case you forgot Coughlin has been here since 2004. Oh, let's not forget that we got bounced on the 1st round by the wild cards we played as a Divisional Champs twice. So much for success. But then again, you see mediocrity as success so, I understand where you are coming from. Fortunately some of us have higher expectations and standards for our team: Win or lose, we expect them to play well.

The Giants are one of six teams that have won a SB since TC has been here. How do you classify that as mediocrity? At a minimum, they've been the sixth most successful team in that time period.

And "fortunately" for who? That statement makes no sense.

gmen46
01-02-2012, 04:04 AM

If we were to go on to win the Super Bowl, this crowd would still say it was despite Coughlin and the coaching staff* lol
We will cross that bridge when we get there, if we get there. Coughlin does not have a great record in the play offs. It seems that his teams get bounced out of the playoffs very early. So, I will wait and see the result. But so far, the only consistent thing if his inconsistency.

The thing is, it appears you and sintim and a couple others in this thread have already crossed the bridge before we got to the bridge.

We only now are seeing the bridge.

It's on the horizon.

We not only have yet to cross it--

We're not even ON it yet.

You are being disingenuous when you now say "I will wait and see the result". After you've been calling for Coughlin's head minutes before, you now say "I will wait and see the result"?

Why? He's already won one Super Bowl. He's one of 7 HCs who have won a Super Bowl in the past 10 years. Out of how many HCs that have coached in the league in the past 10 years, 100? 150? Close to that. And 2 of those 7 aren't in the league anymore.

And the Super Bowl he DID win, guys like you dismiss because it was waaaaay back 4 years ago.

Why "wait and see the result" concerning Coughlin. It appears winning the whole thing means very little to fans like you.

It's downright laughable that after this team has won 3 of the last 4 games of the season, has won the last 2 games, and launched into the playoffs after many wrote us off for the season, that you guys are once again harping on firing Coughlin.

And part of the reason you're harping at this particular time is because we MIGHT not win next week.

And if we do win that one, we MIGHT not win the next one.

And if we win that one, we MIGHT not.............yeah, you got it.

dave56dj
01-02-2012, 04:25 AM
For all the Coughlin Gilbride and Fewell haters stats inc just came out with a new report saying we are the 2nd most injured team in the last 20 years and yet we are division champs (albeit in a unusually weak nfc east) and have a playoff game at home next week - try take a night off and enjoy.

BlueBlooded1979
01-02-2012, 04:33 AM

Learn to count then.

Div Titles: 05, 08 ,11
WC: 06, 07
Playoff Record: 4-3

1 losing season in 8 years in a incredible.

So what team has been more successful between 2004-2011 ? Steelers, Pats, Colts, Saints ?

nycsportzfan
01-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Not the biggest Coughlin fan either but let's see how we finish in the postseason before we bash him. The team came out and played pretty well throughout most of the game. We actually held onto a 21 point lead and didn't cough it up like last year. As i said I don't mind keeping him as long as we make the postseason as 3 Dec collapses in a row is simply 2many in a row and he made the playoffs So i'm pretty content with him returning all though Spags being out there is really tempting lol Coughlin has my support WIN or LOSE this Sunday Good job getting us prepared the past 2 weeks coach!

Overdrive92
01-02-2012, 04:38 AM
Tom Coughlin is so underrated.

shocknaweny
01-02-2012, 04:56 AM
I thought he did a great job but we"ll hope for this to continue into 2012 I guess...

HAMMERHEDD
01-02-2012, 05:24 AM
Coughlin is one of the best coaches the Giants have ever had. That being said, he sucks. He is the type of coach who usually punts on 4th & 1 from inside the opponents 40. That is what cowards do. He is an offensive coach that shuts his own offense down for long stretches almost every game. He coaches to not lose. I want a HC that is always coaching to win.

dave56dj
01-02-2012, 02:26 PM
You're right - i'd bet you'd love Rex ryan who always goes for it - oh he was reported as crying at todays exit meeting. Coughlin has a ring an AFC championship game and yet another playoff run to come - madden coaches go for it - real coaches play field position - this is nothing new. By the way last night REMEMBER when he went for it on the 35 - jeez you have a short memory.

Unless your bellicheck and you have one of the greatest offenses in league history (that was 2007 and another great coach seem to get the best of him) you punt. . Stick to the video games.

HAMMERHEDD
01-02-2012, 02:44 PM
You're right - i'd bet you'd love Rex ryan who always goes for it - oh he was reported as crying at todays exit meeting. Coughlin has a ring an AFC championship game and yet another playoff run to come - madden coaches go for it - real coaches play field position - this is nothing new. By the way last night REMEMBER when he went for it on the 35 - jeez you have a short memory.

Unless your bellicheck and you have one of the greatest offenses in league history (that was 2007 and another great coach seem to get the best of him) you punt. . Stick to the video games.
I don't play video games. Yes, they did go for it on 4th & 1 from the 35 and yes, it failed. It failed due to horrible play calling. As I was watching, I was happy that they showed balls enough to go for it, and as soon as they lined up, I could see a D that was ready for a run between the tackles. Did the Giants call time out? Did Eli audible to a play that would take advantage of the many match-up disadvantages the Cowboys put themselves in? Did they already have a play called that would beat 9-in-the-box? No they ran a gap I-formation handoff left of center that got blown up by a D that was ready for it. Horrible coaching, horrible read by Eli, horrible execution. Typical Giants football. You stick to the video games. I'll continue to call a lump of ****, a lump of ****.

dave56dj
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Typical those 31 points scored and our top 5 offense - uggggh - its so annoying - i hate stats. Why doesn't every play we run work? Ugh does the other team get paid too? Weird.

HAMMERHEDD
01-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Typical those 31 points scored and our top 5 offense - uggggh - its so annoying - i hate stats. Why doesn't every play we run work? Ugh does the other team get paid too? Weird.
Tell you what. You go ahead and celebrate another choppy, inconsistent, sometimes awful season and I'll continue to call a lump of ****, a lump of ****. When the Giants get ***** slapped out of the playoffs, and put together another barely above mediocre season next year, we'll compare notes again. Agreed?

dave56dj
01-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I never once thought this team had the talent for a run this year so the fact that we are where we are with the second most injured team IN THE LAST 20 YEARS to me takes a helluva coach.

I bet in 07 you were all in right?

CTLadyBlue
01-02-2012, 05:41 PM
I never EVER doubted Tom. Even when they lost, I could never place the blame entirely on him. He's a class, old school disciplinarian who knows how to keep his team focused an in line - unlike his compadre in Green who shares the rent.

I could never come in here after a loss because all of the 'Fire Tom and hire Bill Cowher' posts made me sick. Since when is Cowher the 'be all and end all?'

Tom is too well-loved and well respected by his team. Even if there was a colossal collapse this season, I'd rather have him - a coach who took a 6th seed team to beat an unbeatable Pats team in the SB, then have someone else come in and start all over again with a new regime

Voldamort
01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Tom did good for what he had to work with.

mymanmo
01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
If we lost the majority would want to "hang" Coughlin. The fish stinks from the head down. The guy has the ultimate responsibility and he handles it well. When ever there's a loss he takes full responsibility, as he should. Kudo's to him for the win and thankful for having a healthy team and some luck. Coach, if you read these posts, you're a "Class Act"

Wes
01-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Where do you get the fact that because we won, Coughlin did a good job? Actually the facts point that we won despite Coughlin and his staff's mistakes. If it was not for Eli to make critical throws that had to do nothing with coaching, now you would be singing a different tune. How a Giant fan is crying like a ***** ...tonight of all nights is beyond meNo one is crying. Just pointing out some facts that get overlooked because of the win. This was not Coughlin's doing folks. Killdrive and Fewell almost gave the game away with their stupid play calling. It was the exceptional play of Eli and the D that bailed us out. 3 and outs with the weapons we have is inexcusable. No matter what you say Romo was hurt and they were not going deep at all. If you look at all his completions, they were the 10 -12 yards variety, and they still managed to get close because Fewell got too conservative and Killdrive could not call any plays that would gain more that 1 yard if that to sustain a drive. Running consistently up the middle and not getting 1 yard is not smart coaching. We needed to mix it up. Luckily the Cowboys made more mistakes than us.</P>

</P>

so the blitzes, the position he put his players in had nothing to do with one of them being free?</P>

its the players and the scheme.</P>

what killed us was the poor OL run blocking and thats it.</P>

any team with a 3 td lead is going to try and establish the run.</P>

i admit, PF pissed me off too with the soft coverage in the 3rd but he corrected it.</P>

They had a 3 TD lead, they didnt want to give up the big play over top and they wanted to run the ball more in the 2nd half to eat up clock and TOP....its not the coaches fault that the OL couldnt block and open any holes.</P>

Why they wont slide baas to guard and let boothe play center is beyond me but thats what needs ot be done. Maybe its a pride thing with JR he doesnt want to admit he made a mistake by signing a high priced center who cant consistently play the position at a high level. His natural position is guard right? </P>

boothe outplayed him and our run game looked solid while baas was out and our run game looked poor again upon his return.</P>

slide him over, put boothe at center so we can have a run game in the playoffs please</P>

Joe Morrison
01-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Giants Force, are you over your hangover yet to realize that Fewell has made some moves to be more impressive the last two games, that OSI played and had 2 sacks, that they were up 21 -0 and once the Boys got close they closed the door on them again.</P>

Go back and crawl into your drink glass and save us from your miserable life.</P>

jakegibbs
01-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Coughlin to get the credit he deserves!

One thing for sure TC can get a team on a streak whether it be a winning or losing streaks.

Right now he's got um on a winning streak. That's as good as it gets for Giant fans. Run that winning streak to 6 games & guess what happens?

I'm waiting for the answer. hmmm....

OrangeGiant
01-02-2012, 06:52 PM
The Coughlin haters kill me. When the Giants lose a few games it'sallhis fault, when they win he has nothing to do with it. Gimme a freakin break. Clueless, the lot of you.

yoeddy
01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
When he fires Gilbride and Fewell, I'll give him credit, but not before... Those two will cost us in the playoffs, not the players...

Did you know that Gilbride is 4-1 in the playoffs as Giants OC?

SweetZombieJesus
01-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Great job -- getting out of the hole they dug for themselves.

7th year of collapses -- magnificient!!!1!! 7th year of .500 or worse football in the 2nd half -- phenomenal!!!!1!111!!

You know what would be even better? Winning a home playoff game for the first time in 8 years.

In all seriousness I give the guy credit, he's a good coach most of the time -- just wish he could figure out the no-shows and collapses.

yoeddy
01-02-2012, 07:45 PM
Great job -- getting out of the hole they dug for themselves.

7th year of collapses -- magnificient!!!1!!* 7th year of .500 or worse football in the 2nd half -- phenomenal!!!!1!111!!

You know what would be even better?* Winning a home playoff game for the first time in 8 years.

I guess you were a big Jim Fassel fan?

plaxattack17
01-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Tom Coughlin is one of the very best head coaches in the nfl. His record speaks for itself. Not only did he probably win the finest superbowl of all leading us to beat the unbeaten Pats. This year i genuinely feel it was amazing what he managed to do with this team. We were serious underdogs all year- We literally had no middlelinebacker, we picked up Chase Blackburn to be our starter off the couch! We had a depleted secondary to the point Rolle was filling in everywhere. But he kept that team fighting...beating the Pats on the road was a highlight. But the finest managment of all was getting this team 'All in'...we had to win three games- one against our cross town rivals, the blowhards and of course 2 against the cowboys. We won them, we didn;t just win them we destroyed the Jets and the Cowboys. He sat down with Tuck reached him on an emotional level, and Tuck played out of his mind the last two games. Rolle just mentioned today how after a rocky start he loves TC. Heck the players held him aloft after we beat the Pats in the lockerroom.
People hating on Tom are showing their true colours, the facts are when its all said and done he will go down as one of our finest head coaches in giant history.
Look next door at the NY gasbags in green, team captains quitting in the huddlw, Rex Ryan's giant foot in his mouth crying, a horror show of a franchise and they were meant to win it all this year according to Rex! Coughlin handled himself with dignity the whole way and got this team focused on one goal to win the nfc east and get into the playoffs and possibly beyond and we've achieved that. It was a team effort, and magnificent achievement considering what we faced this year.