PDA

View Full Version : Osi and his trade value!

MikeSherrard
01-02-2012, 03:45 PM
So.....

The G-men will need to sign JPP and Cruz to long term deals. It is likely that they will not pony up the money to resign Osi after next season when his contract runs out.

Should they keep Osi on the squad for one more year (per contract)? or try and get somthing back in the off season?

Do you think his play this year has warranted a 1st round pick in return?

JD

Spizi
01-02-2012, 03:48 PM
So.....

The G-men will need to sign JPP and Cruz to long term deals.* It is likely that they will not pony up the money to resign Osi after next season when his contract runs out.

Should they keep Osi on the squad for one more year (per contract)?* or try and get somthing back in the off season?

JD

Ask yourself this. Would you trade your first round pick for a 30 year old, injury prone player? No

We might be able to get a 2nd but a 3rd is probably more realistic. In the end I think anything we can get from him is worth it because It will save cap room which we desperately need for Cruz and JPP.

TuckYou
01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
They tried a 1st last season and no one bit. Im not sure why. People covet these draft picks too much. I understand the financial aspect of it and the fact Osi will be 30 next season, but a team a pass rusher away from being a great team can afford to deal a late first for him. Pats and Bengals have 2 1st rounders.</P>

Im a huge Osi fan, but I have come to the realization he isnt coming back. Might as well trade him and get some good value.</P>

Hoping for a 2nd and 5th for him in the offseason unless he decides he wants to play here. </P>

ny06
01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
It all depends on what Osi's value is on the open market. </P>

The Giants aren't just going to give him to another team. They want equal value. </P>

I can see a few things, they will see what other teams are willing to give the Giants for Osi. If it isn't what the Giants feel is equal value I can see him back next year. </P>

I feel the Giants hold all the cards, Osi tried everything this off-season and nothing worked to his advantage. Osi has to be realistic, he will not get the contract he wants. Would some team be willing to give a huge contract to a player who has had numerous surgeries to his legs? Also you have to put into account his age. </P>

brad
01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I doubt any team would give up a first or even second round pick for him... and his value to the Giants is more than you would likely get from a 3rd round pick... but, like Spizi said, the cap may ultimately be the determining factor. JR is going to have to be very creative this off-season. Considering needs at other positions they may have to look at thinning out the biggest strength of the team in order to strengthen other positions, and their strength is without question at DE. Personally I would hate to see Osi go, but long term that might be necessary.

Kase-1
01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
If we trade him next year I think we'd be LUCKY to get a 2nd, but in reality I could see us getting a 3rd and 6th or something like that

Osi is too injury prone to warrant a higher round pick

lawl
01-02-2012, 04:21 PM
I dont think its worth trading him unless we get a 2nd rounder out of it.</P>

9 sacks a season is still pretty productive.</P>

RagTime Blue
01-02-2012, 04:24 PM
If we didn't trade him last year, why would we do so this year?

Both Cruz and JPP are under contract for next year. . .no urgency there.

I expect him to play a full season with us next year. Then he'll get the bidding war he wants, and we'll get compensatory consideration.

lawl
01-02-2012, 04:35 PM
If we didn't trade him last year, why would we do so this year?

Both Cruz and JPP are under contract for next year. . .no urgency there.

I expect him to play a full season with us next year. Then he'll get the bidding war he wants, <FONT size=4>and we'll get compensatory consideration.
</FONT></P>

Thats a damn good point.</P>

If Osi leaves for FA we probably get a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him in comp.</P>

So, we might as well keep him unless we can get a significantly better deal.</P>

G-Man67
01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
be lucky to get a 4th pick for a 30 year old DE and that is no knock on Osi, it's just how the league works ... teams want draft picks ... they want to find the next Osi and not overpay for the 30 year old, often injured, sometimes 'tudey version

buddy33
01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
You consider trading him because he has a list of injuries and has missed a lot of time this year. He is not happy with his contract and if they kept him next year it would probably be his last.

Don't forget they are going to have to pay Tuck soon too.

myles2424
01-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Great let's trade a probowl DE for a 2nd or 3rd....clint sintim,beatty,Barden,beckum,jernigan,chad Jones.....you people Realy think getting a extra 2nd or 3rd is that great? No thanks, pay the man.....there's plenty of wasted $$ on this team that can fixed

lawl
01-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Great let's trade a probowl DE for a 2nd or 3rd....clint sintim,beatty,Barden,beckum,jernigan,chad Jones.....you people Realy think getting a extra 2nd or 3rd is that great? No thanks, pay the man.....there's plenty of wasted $$ on this team that can fixed</P>

kinda messed up to include Chad Jones in that list..</P>

Beatty is a starting LT in the NFL and will continue to be.</P>

Jernigan is a rookie, really?</P>

buddy33
01-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Great let's trade a probowl DE for a 2nd or 3rd....clint sintim,beatty,Barden,beckum,jernigan,chad Jones.....you people Realy think getting a extra 2nd or 3rd is that great? No thanks, pay the man.....there's plenty of wasted $$ on this team that can fixed

Wasn't Osi a 2nd round pick?

Penguin101
01-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Keep him...

He's a quality player, draft picks are often overrated vs a solid player.

buddy33
01-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Oh, what do they pay him with? Or when it is time to get Tuck a new contract should they let him walk?

VBGiantsFan
01-02-2012, 04:55 PM
I agree. He is signed until next year. No need to trade a probowl caliber player now. Give him an extra little as a "signing bonus" and keep him happy.

I love seeing the sets with Osi, Tuck, Canty, JPP, Kiwi, J-Will, and Boley out there. Basically, we have 7 guys who can blitz and 5 who can put their hand in the dirt or stand. Why lose him now?

Coach Carter
01-02-2012, 05:07 PM

These guys play too much Madden. General Managers are lucky to get rookie top 10 picks to get 9 sacks in a season, Osi got 9 sacks in 9 games, an excellent average. Look at John Abraham, he is still playing (and getting paid) due to his pass rush skills.

NYSPORTS
01-02-2012, 05:09 PM
O$I wants top dollar

If O$I gets top dollar then Tuck will want top dolloar

Then JPP will want top dollar within a few years

Cruz might want top dollar

Nicks will command top dollar

Eli's contract isn't forever and will get top dollar

Unless the salary cap is going to hit $350 million per year it's likely better to trade Osi and use the money wisely.

Voldamort
01-02-2012, 05:15 PM
if they can get a 2 and a 5 Iwould take it,but nobody would give it?one more year of OSI cryin thwn he goes free.

myles2424
01-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Great let's trade a probowl DE for a 2nd or 3rd....clint sintim,beatty,Barden,beckum,jernigan,chad Jones.....you people Realy think getting a extra 2nd or 3rd is that great? No thanks, pay the man.....there's plenty of wasted $$ on this team that can fixed</P>

I didn't Chad jones was a wasted pick,Beatty is a starting LT, & Jernigan is a rookie....I know this.....my point was, giving up a proven pro bowl DE for a 2nd-3rd is nuts......extra picks sound great, but have or will any of our recent picks have the career osi has had? Ill say probaly not...

RagTime Blue
01-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Draft picks are extra valuable now because the salaries are now reasonable under the CBA-salary cap. It's FA's that break the bank.

I know Reese will do what's right for this team in the short and long term future.

NYGRealityCheck
01-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Draft picks are extra valuable now because the salaries are now reasonable under the CBA-salary cap.* It's FA's that break the bank.

I know Reese will do what's right for this team in the short and long term future.*

+1 People will see how long Peyton will stay in Indy when the Colts land Andew Luck for cheap thanks to the new CBA.

Spizi
01-02-2012, 06:39 PM
extra picks sound great, but have or will any of our recent picks have the career osi has had? Ill say probaly not...

That's not the point. The point is Osi is injury prone, not a team player, and past his prime. He is also taking up a good chunk of cap space. Time to build for the future and get what we can out of him. Unless we can get the comp picks but i dont really know how that works.

jakegibbs
01-02-2012, 06:48 PM
So.....

The G-men will need to sign JPP and Cruz to long term deals.* It is likely that they will not pony up the money to resign Osi after next season when his contract runs out.

Should they keep Osi on the squad for one more year (per contract)?* or try and get somthing back in the off season?

JD

Isn't his contract up at the end of this season? If so he'll be gone to the COWGIRLS no no to the EGULS no no the DEADSKINS.... OH ME OH MY SIGN HIM UP.

BlueBlooded1979
01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
It is a tough call. I really don't want to hear his whining all summer long but once the season comes he shuts up and plays.

I think his time on any team as a full time DE is over. He may have 4 good years left as a 20 play pass rusher.

buddy33
01-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Draft picks are how you build a team. The problem
Is if he wants more money and no team will even give up a 2nd for him. He needs to just play and stop talking contract. Yeah he has good stats but what about the games he missed this year. Oh yeah, just pay the guy who missed almost half the season.

lawl
01-02-2012, 08:06 PM

I didn't Chad jones was a wasted pick,Beatty is a starting LT, & Jernigan is a rookie....I know this.....my point was, giving up a proven pro bowl DE for a 2nd-3rd is nuts......extra picks sound great, but have or will any of our recent picks have the career osi has had? Ill say probaly not...

It doesn't matter if they'll have the career Osi had. If we don't trade osi he will most likely be gone as a FA next year. So the question is, will the draft pick be more impactful throughout his career as a giant moreso than osi will next year for us?

That's the question that need be answered. If it's a yes then it's a good move for us to make.