PDA

View Full Version : J-Balls and Herzy will give it a go this week

TuckYou
01-02-2012, 04:19 PM
<SPAN class=messageBody data-ft='{"type":3}'>Jake Ballard and Mark Herzlich WILL participate on a limited basis in practice tomorrow, which is a huge step towards playing this Sunday.</SPAN></P>

<SPAN class=messageBody data-ft='{"type":3}'>Getting Ballard back is more improtant, but Herzlich back cant hurt either for STs. Blackburn is our starter now. </SPAN></P>

buddy33
01-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Remember early in the year when everyone hated Reese for not over paying for Boss?

Well now this team actually misses their FA TE. I hope he can play because say what you want about his speed, he is always open. If he just has an ability to get open or teams leave him wide open, he gets open.

NYGFaninILL
01-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Remember early in the year when everyone hated Reese for not over paying for Boss?

Well now this team actually misses their FA TE. I hope he can play because say what you want about his speed, he is always open. If he just has an ability to get open or teams leave him wide open, he gets open.

Hindsight is always 20/20

But in all seriousness, I would like Ballard to be our TE for a while.

buddy33
01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Just saying, Reese played this great. I mean they didn't have the money to sign people anyway, but he stayed put with Osi and let guys go that wanted to much.

G-Man67
01-02-2012, 04:29 PM
good news, hope they both come thru OK and can get thru one full practice before the game ... especially Jake

RagTime Blue
01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
I think the way our offense is, we can make TE work without top-tier talent.

TuckYou
01-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Remember early in the year when everyone hated Reese for not over paying for Boss? Well now this team actually misses their FA TE. I hope he can play because say what you want about his speed, he is always open. If he just has an ability to get open or teams leave him wide open, he gets open.</P>

Boss is still better then J-Balls, but Jake is the best TE we have. In fact, he is the only true TE we have. So he is wanted by the mere fact he is the only TE we have. Beckum? Come on... Bear? Nah.. Ballard is the only option really. </P>

TuckYou
01-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Just saying, Reese played this great. I mean they didn't have the money to sign people anyway, but he stayed put with Osi and let guys go that wanted to much.</P>

Not sure about that. Too me, it looks like he pissed all that money he saved away signing Baas. Boothe is better then Baas. Put Petrus back at LG. Baas can not run block. He stands DTs up but cant push them. But at least he can snap where Boothe can not.</P>

buddy33
01-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Remember early in the year when everyone hated Reese for not over paying for Boss? Well now this team actually misses their FA TE. I hope he can play because say what you want about his speed, he is always open. If he just has an ability to get open or teams leave him wide open, he gets open.</P>

Boss is still better then J-Balls, but Jake is the best TE we have. In fact, he is the only true TE we have. So he is wanted by the mere fact he is the only TE we have. Beckum? Come on... Bear? Nah.. Ballard is the only option really. </P>

The numbers Ballard has put up are similar to the ones Boss put up last year and for much less money.

By the way, I like Boss, but I don't know how much longer he will last in the NFL. Did you see the hit he took again yesterday?

buddy33
01-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Just saying, Reese played this great. I mean they didn't have the money to sign people anyway, but he stayed put with Osi and let guys go that wanted to much.</P>

Not sure about that. Too me, it looks like he pissed all that money he saved away signing Baas. Boothe is better then Baas. Put Petrus back at LG. Baas can not run block. He stands DTs up but cant push them. But at least he can snap where Boothe can not.</P>

Yeah I think he paid to much for Bass, but they are a passing team even I wish they would run more. So for that he is good at his job.

egyptian420
01-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Remember early in the year when everyone hated Reese for not over paying for Boss? Well now this team actually misses their FA TE. I hope he can play because say what you want about his speed, he is always open. If he just has an ability to get open or teams leave him wide open, he gets open.</p>

Boss is still better then J-Balls, but Jake is the best TE we have. In fact, he is the only true TE we have. So he is wanted by the mere fact he is the only TE we have. Beckum? Come on... Bear? Nah.. Ballard is the only option really. </p>

The numbers Ballard has put up are similar to the ones Boss put up last year and for much less money.

By the way, I like Boss, but I don't know how much longer he will last in the NFL. Did you see the hit he took again yesterday?
+1....loved the guy while he was here but far too many concussions and he hit the jackpot in Oakland, there was no way we could've matched that offer. Ballard is a solid run blocker and he's good at getting open and making great catches as well, he's just slow.

dave56dj
01-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Tuck you - please explain how Boss is much better then ballard. Ballard had 38 catches and 604 yards in 14 games thats better then any year boss has ever had - EVER and thats in 2 less games then Boss - so again why is he clearly better?

I would give you that Boss at this point in his career may be a better blocker but Ballard will improve and is a much bigger guy.

Stats dont lie.

buddy33
01-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Ballard also had more big plays than Boss did last year.

GiantWarfare
01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
LOL at J-Balls...

I'd hate if that were my nickname...

dinz
01-02-2012, 05:01 PM
i thought pascoe played pretty well, and WARE only had one sack.. so he helped on the double team.

giantsfan420
01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
i love ballards play, but lets not discount what boss did for us. remember that hot route td catch he had vs the jags last year? he was a solid player that gave it his all. im happy he got his payday, and i had said prior to him leaving us that he was a hit or two away from having to retire. he'll always be a giant in my mind.

that said, i actually think ballard played better than boss could have for us this season, and has the potential to be a much better player than boss. ballard brings amazing catching ability, is a humble, work hard guy similar to boss. but he is also younger, hasnt had the head injury issues, and while slower than boss, seems to be more mentally game savvy. no way would i, if i had some sort of time machine, take what boss might have done for us this year over what ballard did do for us this year.

witten isnt fast at all either. if we can develop ballard, he could very well be in the mold of a witten.

edit- i also think bear could fill in for us just fine, he might not be able to match what ballard did for us, but that 3rd down reception he hurdled newman and got the first down was HUGE as 3 plays later cruz got that td. if he doesnt make that big time effort play, we punt, and who knows how the game plays out from there.

i'm fine with bear if need be and even beckum to a degree. on one play eli should have hit beckum who was streaking down the field open. beckum gives us more versatility in terms of where we can line him up on passing downs. ballard=beckum and bear combined.

dave56dj
01-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I dont think anyone is overlooking boss's contributions to the giants - certainly his biggest was the 40 + catch in the superbowl. That said he is a guy who has never caught more then 35 balls, is an average blocker and in todays NFL with TE's everywhere (Graham Gronkwoski Hernandez, Whitten, Fred Davis, Keller, Celek, Finley Gonzalez to name a few) Boss was nothing special at all. Ballard in his first year has better stats then Boss ever had - not sure we are missing anything - except for the fact that Jake is hurt - lets hope he gets back this week.

TuckYou
01-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Tuck you - please explain how Boss is much better then ballard. Ballard had 38 catches and 604 yards in 14 games thats better then any year boss has ever had - EVER and thats in 2 less games then Boss - so again why is he clearly better?

I would give you that Boss at this point in his career may be a better blocker but Ballard will improve and is a much bigger guy.

Stats dont lie.

Stats do lie. Tell me this, if Boss stayed here, don't you think he would of got the ball a Hell of a lot more then in the blackhole of horrible football known as Oakland? Obviously it is my opinion, but I do think boss is better. Ballard is ok though, and it isn't like Boss was a great TE. And the concussions hurt him as well. If boss was still here though and had Eli his stats would of been much better.

With Eli breaking out this year for yards, Boss would of put up career numbers as well.

giantsfan420
01-02-2012, 06:12 PM

Stats dont lie.

Stats do lie. Tell me this, if Boss stayed here, don't you think he would of got the ball a Hell of a lot more then in the blackhole of horrible football known as Oakland? Obviously it is my opinion, but I do think boss is better. Ballard is ok though, and it isn't like Boss was a great TE. And the concussions hurt him as well. If boss was still here though and had Eli his stats would of been much better.

better than ballards? or better than his stats in oakland? if the second is ur point, that goes to the talent of the qb, not the talent of boss.

TuckYou
01-02-2012, 06:16 PM

Stats dont lie.

better than ballards? or better than his stats in oakland? if the second is ur point, that goes to the talent of the qb, not the talent of boss.

I think if both are on our team this season, Boss would have better numbers and been starting over Ballard. He is a better all around TE. Not by much, but better. I'm not killing Ballard, I just think Boss is better. Boss had like 5 QBs in Oak to deal with which is why his numbers weren't as good.

SweetZombieJesus
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM

This. I've always been a fan of our big fullbacks and was sad to see Hedge**** decline so quickly. But both TE and FB seem to be system positions that make you look good, Ballard and Hyno are getting it done.

jomo
01-02-2012, 08:02 PM

This. I've always been a fan of our big fullbacks and was sad to see Hedge**** decline so quickly. But both TE and FB seem to be system positions that make you look good, Ballard and Hyno are getting it done.
Hyno may have the best hands of any Giants running back.

dave56dj
01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Boss did play with Eli and never had these kind of stats - again, not even close. And yes this may be Eli's best year - but add Cruz to the mix and thats more guys who are getting the ball. You have the big three mario nicks and hakeem and ballard still had better year then Boss EVER had. Boss had a tough time even keeping his job in Oakland - would his stats have been better here? Yes, but i assume he would have hit the average 30-35 balls he did EVERY year here - and Ballard did better.

TuckYou
01-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Boss did play with Eli and never had these kind of stats - again, not even close. And yes this may be Eli's best year - but add Cruz to the mix and thats more guys who are getting the ball. You have the big three mario nicks and hakeem and ballard still had better year then Boss EVER had. Boss had a tough time even keeping his job in Oakland - would his stats have been better here? Yes, but i assume he would have hit the average 30-35 balls he did EVERY year here - and Ballard did better.</P>

With Eli playing better then ever this season, why wouldnt Boss's stats be better? More receptions, yards, TDs...</P>

giantsfan420
01-03-2012, 12:14 AM

Stats dont lie.

I think if both are on our team this season, Boss would have better numbers and been starting over Ballard. He is a better all around TE. Not by much, but better. I'm not killing Ballard, I just think Boss is better. Boss had like 5 QBs in Oak to deal with which is why his numbers weren't as good.

agree to disagree then. but boss's best reception came from the fg kicker or holder i forget which.

and also, with the new qb point u make, wouldnt that elevate boss's stats? qb's new to a system will usually lean on their te. ex. sanchez leans heavily on keller, romo leaned heavily on witten for a while, etc. the te is the guy a qb will usually develop a rapport with first.

but i guess i could concede that boss may have been the better te pre season, and maybe even half way into the season. at this point, i'd consider it a draw. and i think next year ballard will be the better of the two. although, u cant really discredit the point that ballard has had a better year than boss here in fewer games, and as a virtual rookie. and with cruz, nicks, and mm having bigger years than last.

JJC7301
01-03-2012, 12:31 AM

I don't think too many were upset that we didn't pay what Oakland shelled out for Boss -- we all liked Boss but the general thought was that he was way over paid for a concussion waiting to happen.
Most of the anger was directed towards losing home grown talent left and right, and seemingly not bringing anything new (or worthy) on board.

dave56dj
01-03-2012, 02:12 AM
Tuck you I will give you a reason - BOSS'S STATS HAVE NEVER BEEN GOOD. He has never caught more then 35 balls and that was his BEST year. Keller caught over 60 balls with a bad qb - Fred Davis caught 50+ - fact is guys still make plays if they are good and your theory is boss just needs everyone else around him to make him better. Ballard caught more balls in his first full year and more yards by a lot - sorry i think he's the better player and it really is in the numbers. His blocking will only improve.

Jiffy Jeff
01-03-2012, 10:07 AM
LOL at J-Balls...

I'd hate if that were my nickname...

I was thinking the same thing............J-BALLS. LOL

TuckYou
01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Tuck you I will give you a reason - BOSS'S STATS HAVE NEVER BEEN GOOD. He has never caught more then 35 balls and that was his BEST year. Keller caught over 60 balls with a bad qb - Fred Davis caught 50+ - fact is guys still make plays if they are good and your theory is boss just needs everyone else around him to make him better. Ballard caught more balls in his first full year and more yards by a lot - sorry i think he's the better player and it really is in the numbers. His blocking will only improve.</P>

Eh, its impossible to prove either way. Its just opinion. I mean,a lot is up to the QB throwing thim the ball and the system of the offense.I still feel Boss is a better TE when healthy. I think if Boss and JBalls were in a vacuum with all variables constant, Boss would have the better numbers all around. Like I said, its impossible to prove so I'm done discussing it at this point. Bottom line, I like Ballard but he is no elite TE, he fits our team. Big White Slow TE with good hands and runs good routes and can block descently. Getting him back will help us because he is better then Beckum and Bear. </P>

miked1958
01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Tuck you - please explain how Boss is much better then ballard. Ballard had 38 catches and 604 yards in 14 games thats better then any year boss has ever had - EVER and thats in 2 less games then Boss - so again why is he clearly better? I would give you that Boss at this point in his career may be a better blocker but Ballard will improve and is a much bigger guy. Stats dont lie.</P>

I think given another year Ballard will make us all forget all about Boss. He has the potential to become an elite TE like what the Saints and Pats TEs are doing. </P>

With that said, it would be a huge lift to have him for the playoff game. it can only help our offense move the chains</P>

dave56dj
01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Tuck you i appreciate the argument and having a nice debate without name calling or any other emotional nonsense. To me Ballard is not elite either - but i think he will, and already has outgrown boss and will catch between 40-50 balls for years to come. That said seeing what the Pats have done with A hern and Gronkowski I would not be against developing another TE in the dradt.

jomo
01-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Tuck you i appreciate the argument and having a nice debate without name calling or any other emotional nonsense. To me Ballard is not elite either - but i think he will, and already has outgrown boss and will catch between 40-50 balls for years to come. That said seeing what the Pats have done with A hern and Gronkowski I would not be against developing another TE in the dradt.We have to develop another one, at least a stud blocker with whom we can work to improve the passing game. Think Zeke Mowatt. Look how weak we are now with Ballard down. We can't go into another season like this. Pascoe as a #3 is fine but Beckum offers us nothing at the position. Having Ballard back on Sunday would give us another nice boost for the playoffs. Go Blue!!