PDA

View Full Version : If I'm nitpicking I CANNOT STAND the conservative play calling in the 2nd half

NYG4lifeNYK
01-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Running the ball just to run the clock out was making me nuts... 1 yard gain, 2 yard loss, 1 yard gain, 3 yard loss, 2 yard gain.... kills momentum & drives letting Dallas back into the game.

KG drives me nuts....

Drez
01-02-2012, 05:00 PM
That isn't playcalling. That's execution.</P>

Had those been 4-7 yard runs each time you'd be talking about how brilliant KG was for running the ball and keeping the ball out of Romo's hands.</P>

scf424
01-02-2012, 05:03 PM
What Drez said.

I just can't fathom why we can't convert short downs.

Everyone knew the run to BJ was coming, why not run play action there? And the draws, don't get me started. Start running PA out of the shotgun.

PHARAOHLYFE7
01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Yea I would have to agree. We did come out a sluggish in the second half. Once we found our rhythm everything seemed to go a lot smoother. For me I felt we should have been agressive from the start of the second half, could have stomped them out alot sooner. But other than that im satisfied in how the giants played.

NYG4lifeNYK
01-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Nope I wanted to stick with what was working &amp; Eli was picking them apart.

I'm not saying stop running but stop being so damn predictable.

G-Man67
01-02-2012, 05:07 PM
well remember vs. the Jets we threw it with a lead and everybody went crazy when the ball was dropped into the hands of the Jets for an INT

how bout the players block it, catch it, run it and throw it better in those situations ... all about execution

Drez
01-02-2012, 05:08 PM
What Drez said. I just can't fathom why we can't convert short downs. Everyone knew the run to BJ was coming, why not run play action there? And the draws, don't get me started. Start running PA out of the shotgun.</P>

That is one of things I can get on KG about. He should really call more PA in those spots where everyone knows we're going to run, and we should PA out of shotgun a little more, just so the defense can't sell out on the draw every time.</P>

All in all, though, those are pretty minor things.</P>

I think the KG hate here was just gotten to the point where if every play doesn't gain 20 yards then KG is an incompetent moron.</P>

I suppose the only major complaint I have with KG is in the redzone. I don't know if it's play design or playcalling (or some combination of both), but that's the only area where I think he needs serious improvement.</P>

MikeSherrard
01-02-2012, 05:08 PM
well remember vs. the Jets we threw it with a lead and everybody went crazy when the ball was dropped into the hands of the Jets for an INT

how bout the players block it, catch it, run it and throw it better in those situations ... all about execution</p>

</p>

THANK YOU!
</p>

Drez
01-02-2012, 05:10 PM

how bout the players block it, catch it, run it and throw it better in those situations ... all about execution

And the funny thing about people getting on KG about that is that it was an audible by Eli. KG called a run. Eli saw 8 or 9 in the box and aubibled to a quick slant which Nicks let bounce off his hands for a pick. Good call on the audible on Eli's part. Good throw. Nicks just has to catch that ball for a 7 or 8 yard gain.</P>

gmen0820
01-02-2012, 05:13 PM

Had those been 4-7 yard runs each time you'd be talking about how brilliant KG was for running the ball and keeping the ball out of Romo's hands.</P>The answer is right here folks.

fizzlestick
01-02-2012, 05:15 PM
That isn't playcalling. That's execution.</p>

Had those been 4-7 yard runs each time you'd be talking about how brilliant KG was for running the ball and keeping the ball out of Romo's hands.</p>The answer is right here folks.

Not quite. The giants always run in those situations, the other team knows that. It makes it that much harder when the D is playing against the run.

mikeq672
01-02-2012, 05:16 PM

Had those been 4-7 yard runs each time you'd be talking about how brilliant KG was for running the ball and keeping the ball out of Romo's hands.</p>The answer is right here folks.

When the players havent executed proper running blocking in 15 and a half games, it comes back to playcalling. The line(with a few random exceptions) gets 0 push when run blocking. They also look lost alot of the plays where I see half the o-line holding up their arms dumbfounded after half of them dont know who to block and the run if stuffed.

scf424
01-02-2012, 05:18 PM
What Drez said. I just can't fathom why we can't convert short downs. Everyone knew the run to BJ was coming, why not run play action there? And the draws, don't get me started. Start running PA out of the shotgun.</P>

That is one of things I can get on KG about. He should really call more PA in those spots where everyone knows we're going to run, and we should PA out of shotgun a little more, just so the defense can't sell out on the draw every time.</P>

All in all, though, those are pretty minor things.</P>

I think the KG hate here was just gotten to the point where if every play doesn't gain 20 yards then KG is an incompetent moron.</P>

I suppose the only major complaint I have with KG is in the redzone. I don't know if it's play design or playcalling (or some combination of both), but that's the only area where I think he needs serious improvement.</P>

I agree. Gilbride isn't half as bad as people make him out to be.

Predictability isn't always bad, they just have to execute if the playcalling is going to be predictable. But I'd like some more creativity in spots where 99% of the world knows what we're doing.

And yes, redzone playcalling is awful.

Drez
01-02-2012, 05:19 PM

Had those been 4-7 yard runs each time you'd be talking about how brilliant KG was for running the ball and keeping the ball out of Romo's hands.</P>

The answer is right here folks.

Not quite. The giants always run in those situations, the other team knows that. It makes it that much harder when the D is playing against the run.
</P>

Don't most teams run in those situations? Up by 14-21...</P>

It has nothing to do with the playcalling. It has to do with the execution. </P>

As I said before, if we were popping those off at 5 yards a crack then we'd be talking about how brilliant KG is.</P>

And I know for a fact that if we passed on those plays with the same success (meaning not much) everyone would be *****ing about how KG was too pass happy and he should have run the ball more to kill clock.</P>

gumby742
01-02-2012, 05:19 PM
We just can't run the ball with our issues up front. However, I liked the play calls. Run the ball and eat up clock and rely on your players to make plays. The worst thing that could happen is to go 3 and out and take up all of 30 seconds - giving the Cowboys more chances to come back.

fizzlestick
01-02-2012, 05:21 PM

Had those been 4-7 yard runs each time you'd be talking about how brilliant KG was for running the ball and keeping the ball out of Romo's hands.</p>

</p>

Don't most teams run in those situations? Up by 14-21...</p>

With that much time on the clock? no...

gmen0820
01-02-2012, 05:25 PM

When the players havent executed proper running blocking in 15 and a half games, it comes back to playcalling. The line(with a few random exceptions) gets 0 push when run blocking. They also look lost alot of the plays where I see half the o-line holding up their arms dumbfounded after half of them dont know who to block and the run if stuffed.
Yes but when they execute it the first half and everyone says great gameplan and then they don't execute it the second half, and everyone says same old same old it's pretty comical.

You go with what was working. The protocol with Gilbride is he goes with what works. You guys say you want Eli to pick the D apart? Why? So that if he throws an INT or fumbles or a turnover happens we can wonder why he isn't running? Vice versa is true as well.

gmen0820
01-02-2012, 05:27 PM

Had those been 4-7 yard runs each time you'd be talking about how brilliant KG was for running the ball and keeping the ball out of Romo's hands.</p>

</p>

How about 21-0? You want and expect Gilbride to keep passing? Why so that Coughlin punches him in the face?

fizzlestick
01-02-2012, 05:29 PM

</p>

How about 21-0? You want and expect Gilbride to keep passing? Why so that Coughlin punches him in the face?

21-0 and 21-14 aren't the same.

FourthAndOne
01-02-2012, 05:33 PM
This is semi-related, but yesterday I was reading the game thread while watching the game. When they tried to pass on 3rd and 1 and run on 4th and 1, these were people's responses:

Passing on 3rd and 1 - Why the hell would we throw the ball? Gilbride is stupid, too pass-happy.
Rushing on 4th and 1 - Gilbride is so damn predictable. Everyone saw that coming.
And when the Giants went for a deep pass on 3rd and short in some other game, people were criticizing him also - why take a deep shot when we only need 1 or 2 yards?

The thing is, if the Giants passed a lot more and it didn't work out, Gilbride would'be been criticized for being too pass-happy and not using the running game to take time off the clock.

Drez

</P>

Don't most teams run in those situations? Up by 14-21...</P>

</P>

3Q:</P>

Drive 1: 3 passes (one ended up as a QB scramble, but it was a called pass) 2 runs.
Drive 2: 2 passes, 1 run
Drive 3: 3 passes (incl a penalty play), 2 runs

So, in the 3rd quarter of play we have a total of 8 called passing plays and 5 runs.</P>

4Q:</P>

Drive 1: 2 passes, 1 run
Drive 2: 6 passes (1 sack and one scramble), 2 runs
Drive 3: 2 passes, 2 runs
Drive 4: 3 kneel downs (technically runs, but will be disregarded for this discussion)</P>

So, in the 4th quarter of play we have a total of 10 passes and 5 runs. Which brings the second half total up to 18 passes and 10 runs.</P>

Hmmm....</P>

It seems the facts don'teven fit the perception that we even started running the ball more as we had a 1.8:1 pass to run ratio in the second half.</P>

Considering we had 38 called pass plays and 26 called runs all game, it seems we actually ran more in the first half than we had in the second half.</P>

Thanks for playing.</P>

</P>

gmen0820

</p>

21-0 and 21-14 aren't the same.
What? When did anyone say 21-14 in the first place?

brad
01-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I am not a big KG fan, but last night he had a great game plan and except for the third quarter, it was executed very well

giantsfan420
01-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I am not a big KG fan, but last night he had a great game plan and except for the third quarter, it was executed very well

am i the minority in thinking that the lack of offensive success in the 3rd wasnt bc "the offense stopped playing" or because of a schematic issue? we had a couple 3rd and shorts and a 4th and 1. we get those first downs, and who knows where it goes from there?
sometimes the d just makes plays and they did on our 3rd and short running plays. doesnt mean it was a bad call or the offense was asleep, it just means the execution wasnt as good as the other parts of the game.

i would like to see some variations of the 3rd and 4th and short run plays tho. the hb dive or run at the gut isnt working. maybe some deception like a fake fb handoff hb toss, or a pitch out, maybe use d.scott who had picked up a couple 3rd and shorts with the pitch out bc of his speed to get to the first down marker and get the needed yardage. its not that the run play was a bad call, just the type of run play.

brad
01-02-2012, 05:51 PM

am i the minority in thinking that the lack of offensive success in the 3rd wasnt bc "the offense stopped playing" or because of a schematic issue? we had a couple 3rd and shorts and a 4th and 1. we get those first downs, and who knows where it goes from there?
sometimes the d just makes plays and they did on our 3rd and short running plays. doesnt mean it was a bad call or the offense was asleep, it just means the execution wasnt as good as the other parts of the game.

i would like to see some variations of the 3rd and 4th and short run plays tho. the hb dive or run at the gut isnt working. maybe some deception like a fake fb handoff hb toss, or a pitch out, maybe use d.scott who had picked up a couple 3rd and shorts with the pitch out bc of his speed to get to the first down marker and get the needed yardage. its not that the run play was a bad call, just the type of run play.

I agree with you... however during the third quarter I think most fans thought "oh no here we go"... because that is what have come to expect over the past few years. Fortunately that wasn't the case and they came in the 4th to put the game away. In the end, KG called a great game and the team executed it very well.

Wes
01-02-2012, 05:53 PM
OL played like garbage at times in that game and at times they looked great.</P>

</P>

however, run blocking they were consistently bad.</P>

My only knock in the game was the lack of pressure early in the 3rd qtr...PF backed off and played soft...that with poor run blocking nearly let dallas back in the game.</P>

They cant go into the playoffs and expect to match up against some of the best offenses in the league and win with that poor OL blocking.</P>

</P>

you can bet atl is going to give heavy doses of turner and a lot of short quick passes to j.jones...they have big physical wrs and tes, if PF sits in that soft zone our DBs will get owned.</P>

our pass rush will be key...force ryan into mistakes because he will make them</P>

luckily for us, none of the teams in the playoffs, other than SF have a defense so we really should be able to have our way on offense, but our defense and pass rush will be the difference and if we dont blitz early and often against these pass happy teams we will get picked apart.</P>

</P>

burier
01-02-2012, 08:15 PM
i had no issues with the playcalling.

You get up by 21 you're supposed to run the ball.

It would be nice to run the ball better but that is indeed about execution.

Slunk3AM
01-02-2012, 09:30 PM
Why does it have to be only OUR fault that the 3rd quarter went well for Dallas?

The Cowboys played better that quarter. They came out fired up on both sides of the ball and were able to stunt our progress for several minutes. Remember, their backs were to the wall too and they knew that losing this game meant the end of their season.

Still, we found ways to overcome and brought out the W.

Let's take it easy guys. There are ALWAYS two teams on the field. Lets not forget that the Cowboys played hard just because they lost badly.

Skittish_Eli
01-03-2012, 04:25 AM
the playbook is dumbed down for a reason.

giantsfan420
01-03-2012, 04:42 AM
the playbook is dumbed down for a reason.

hey, why'd u change ur sig so quickly after i pointed out that it was an obvious attempt at trolling. why dont u use the original sig u had/

SweetZombieJesus
01-03-2012, 04:45 AM

Not to mention late in the game you are hoping the opposing defense is starting to wear down, and having to stop time-killing run plays is demoralizing to a defense. Unfortunately our running game is still stunted in must-have running situations.

NYGFaninILL
01-03-2012, 08:54 AM
It's funny, because in the Jet game, when Eli threw that pick with about 7 minutes to go, you know the one that bounces off Nicks chest, everyone was ready to string up Gilbride for calling a pass in an "obvious run situation"

How good Gilbride is, is always in correlation to the outcome of the play.

gmen0820
01-03-2012, 08:55 AM
It's funny, because in the Jet game, when Eli threw that pick with about 7 minutes to go, you know the one that bounces off Nicks chest, everyone was ready to string up Gilbride for calling a pass in an "obvious run situation"

How good Gilbride is, is always in correlation to the outcome of the play.+1

WORLDCHAMPS
01-03-2012, 09:10 AM

JUST WANTED TO SAY ....AWESOME SIG MAN

shockeyg
01-03-2012, 09:11 AM
What Drez said. I just can't fathom why we can't convert short downs. Everyone knew the run to BJ was coming, why not run play action there? And the draws, don't get me started. Start running PA out of the shotgun. Oh yeah , calling it short yardage plays . 4th and 1 and hand the ball to Jacobs 7 yards from the first down . NOT A GOOD PLAY , period . BUT we won so I'm good.

Kruunch
01-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Running the ball just to run the clock out was making me nuts... 1 yard gain, 2 yard loss, 1 yard gain, 3 yard loss, 2 yard gain.... kills momentum & drives letting Dallas back into the game.

KG drives me nuts....

P.S. - We won by 3 scores.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9vAQckqgZbM/TvbgxpIeFjI/AAAAAAAAB1s/JRFX-jFjP28/s400/rolleyes.jpg

Jiffy Jeff
01-03-2012, 09:51 AM
What Drez said.

I just can't fathom why we can't convert short downs.

Everyone knew the run to BJ was coming, why not run play action there? And the draws, don't get me started. Start running PA out of the shotgun.

Hopefully, we're just saving some of those play action calls for the playoff stretch run, because I think they'd go over like gangbusters. We all know Eli thrives with the run fakes.

hungrrrry
01-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Had those been 4-7 yard runs each time you'd be talking about how brilliant KG was for running the ball and keeping the ball out of Romo's hands.</P>The answer is right here folks.But we had no results prior to suggest this is the type of play we needed...of course...if we are averaging 5-6 yds per carry then run it but jacobs was sleepwalking to the line and Bradshaw never looked up and thinks he can bull it through. he can't always do that...you need to look so you can see where the holes open up or where you can make one. Good luck making a hole through a Dlinemans chest