PDA

View Full Version : Has a 9-7 team ever won the Superbowl? Answer?

jakegibbs
01-02-2012, 05:28 PM
No, through the 2010 NFL season, no team has ever gone 9-7 during the regular season, and went on to win the Super Bowl title.

There have been a few teams that have gone 10-6 during the regular season, and won the Super Bowl title, such as the 2007 New York Giants and 2010 Green Bay Packers.

In addition, there have been a few teams that have gone 9-7 during the regular season, and won the Conference Championship Game, such as the 1979 LA Rams and 2008 Arizona Cardinals.

However, no 9-7 team has ever won the Super Bowl.

PS:
An old saying goes something like this ....
There's a 1st time for everything right?

TuckYou
01-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, no one ever threw for more then 14 4th quarter tds until this season. No one has ever thrown more then 5100 yards till this year. Why not? Getting hot at the right time. That's all that matters.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
No, through the 2010 NFL season, no team has ever gone 9-7 during the regular season, and went on to win the Super Bowl title.

There have been a few teams that have gone 10-6 during the regular season, and won the Super Bowl title, such as the 2007 New York Giants and 2010 Green Bay Packers.

In addition, there have been a few teams that have gone 9-7 during the regular season, and won the Conference Championship Game, such as the 1979 LA Rams and 2008 Arizona Cardinals.

PS:

lets hope

TrueBlue07
01-02-2012, 05:40 PM
I believe that cards team in 08-09 was 9-7...they were about 2 inches away from winning it, but other than that i dont think so.

that cards team was also very flawed, but got hot at the right time....we'd have beaten them if we could have beaten philly, but that's another story for another thread....

jakegibbs
01-02-2012, 05:42 PM

PS:

lets hope

Hey it's like the 1980 USA Olympic Hockey Team right? DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRICALS???? HMMM......

SweetZombieJesus
01-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Well, no one ever threw for more then 14 4th quarter tds until this season.

Yeah well the guy who reached 14 first did it in 12 games.

I suppose it's possible for a 7-9 team to win the Super Bowl too but I won't hold my breath.

NYG 5
01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
1979 Rams? Wasn't that the Ferragamo team? They were a breath away from winning that game, and so were the Cards.

I think the team has shown enough 4th quarter heroics to win the Giants Stadium game. Everything after that is unsure, Green Bay and New Orleans are very tough at home, the Saints especially so.

San Francisco is less intimidating. They're good, but the Giants have shown they can win the close games and serve up an *** whipping in that building.

CTLadyBlue
01-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I don't think so, but we were in a worse place in '07-'08 even with one less loss as we were the last seed and had to play all our playoff games on the road. And just like then, the possibility of facing an offensive juggernaut and pass-happy, yard accumulating QB may be on the horizon. Our defense contained the best passer in the league of an undefeated team in The Big Game. There's no reason we can't do it again with aggressive defensive schemes. superb playcalling, attacking the football, forcing turnovers and making his life a living hell

Caoimhin
01-02-2012, 08:40 PM
I think we can do it. I don't see any reason why we can't. If the guys in the locker have the belief and we give more of those 1st half performances like we did yesterday then I don't see why not.

We obviously aren't the best outfit. But nobody will want to face us.

mike kennedy
01-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Well, no one ever threw for more then 14 4th quarter tds until this season.

Yeah well the guy who reached 14 first did it in 12 games.

I suppose it's possible for a 7-9 team to win the Super Bowl too but I won't hold my breath.

I grow fatigued at your "non payed for" image on your post!

VTC_NYG
01-02-2012, 11:16 PM
While I don't look forward to having to go to a place like New Orleans, don't forget about the type of historic juggernaut the Patriots offense of 2007 was.. we all know how that ended.

"We're only going to score 14 points!? *giggle*" - Tom Brady

RagTime Blue
01-02-2012, 11:19 PM
In the NFL, all teams are either on vacation or have a record of 0-0.

Tommy_Ribs
01-02-2012, 11:46 PM

PS:

1988 49ers went 10-6 and won the SB. I remember it well, b/c I always felt that if our 1988 team made it to the playoffs, they would have went to the SB. But the JETs played a great, great game and beat us on their last possession. I will NEVER forget that game.

This GIANTS team reminds me of 2008 Cardinals, a lot. They were a big play team and fueled on defense by their Front 7.

The NFC Field is much, much stronger this year than it was in 08 though.

In fact I can't remember an NFC field this good in quite a while.

Maybe 1986 with us, the Skins, the Bears and the Niners all being real good.

Tommy_Ribs
01-02-2012, 11:52 PM
1979 Rams? Wasn't that the Ferragamo team? They were a breath away from winning that game, and so were the Cards.

I think the team has shown enough 4th quarter heroics to win the Giants Stadium game. Everything after that is unsure, Green Bay and New Orleans are very tough at home, the Saints especially so.

San Francisco is less intimidating. They're good, but the Giants have shown they can win the close games and serve up an *** whipping in that building.

Yes Vince Ferragamo had to take over for Pat Haden.

Jack Youngblood played in SB XIV with a broken leg. Wendell Tyler was a rookie on that Rams team.

They were up on the Steelers late in that game - but Pittsburgh came back in the 4th QTR - Bradshaw hit Stallworth for like a 73 yard bomb. That was actually the first SB I ever saw live. I was 7 years old. Started rooting for the GIANTS the next year.

The NFC Field is VERY strong this year. San Fran, New Orleans and Green Bay are all excellent teams. I like any of those three teams against the best the AFC has to offer. I like us against the Patriots, Bengals and Texans, but not against the Ravens or Steelers. If we played the Broncos, that would be a great Super Bowl.

JJC7301
01-02-2012, 11:58 PM
I believe that cards team in 08-09 was 9-7...they were about 2 inches away from winning it, but other than that i dont think so.

that cards team was also very flawed, but got hot at the right time....we'd have beaten them if we could have beaten philly, but that's another story for another thread....

I don't know about beating the Cards in the playoffs. Yes, we could have because we were probably the best team in football that year, but the D was too thin and worn down by the end of the regular season. And Plax was gone by that time, too.

Skittish_Eli
01-03-2012, 04:30 AM
No and sadly will not happen this year either. beating the Cowboys isnt enough to make a SB team.

Jiffy Jeff
01-03-2012, 08:59 AM
I thought Tampa might have been 9-7 when they won it all, but Wikipedia has reminded me that the Bucs were actually 12-4 that year. God bless the internet.

Jiffy Jeff
01-03-2012, 09:01 AM
No and sadly will not happen this year either. beating the Cowboys isnt enough to make a SB team.

Sure.........you were most likely one of the "fans" who said we would collapse against the Cowboys at home, too. Nice user name, chief.

Redeyejedi
01-03-2012, 09:09 AM

PS:

1988 49ers went 10-6 and won the SB.* I remember it well, b/c I always felt that if our 1988 team made it to the playoffs, they would have went to the SB.* But the JETs played a great, great game and beat us on their last possession.* I will NEVER forget that game.

This GIANTS team reminds me of 2008 Cardinals, a lot.* They were a big play team and fueled on defense by their Front 7.

The NFC Field is much, much stronger this year than it was in 08 though.

In fact I can't remember an NFC field this good in quite a while.

Maybe 1986 with us, the Skins, the Bears and the Niners all being real good.
The NFC is leaps and Bounds better then the AFC right now.The Giants would of won 12 games if they were in the AFC.

Morehead State
01-03-2012, 09:12 AM
No, through the 2010 NFL season, no team has ever gone 9-7 during the regular season, and went on to win the Super Bowl title. There have been a few teams that have gone 10-6 during the regular season, and won the Super Bowl title, such as the 2007 New York Giants and 2010 Green Bay Packers. In addition, there have been a few teams that have gone 9-7 during the regular season, and won the Conference Championship Game, such as the 1979 LA Rams and 2008 Arizona Cardinals. However, no 9-7 team has ever won the Super Bowl. PS: An old saying goes something like this .... There's a 1st time for everything right?</P>

If I'm not mistaken, no 10-6 team had ever won a SB until we did it in 2007. </P>

I guess we're sort of trail blazers in that respect.</P>

RedskinHater
01-03-2012, 09:23 AM

PS:
There's a 1st time for everything right?\

Always a first time for everything !!!!

G-Man67
01-03-2012, 09:40 AM
i think that is great news, the way the NFL is now, it is only a matter of time before a 9-7 team wins the Super Bowl ... why not now and no, Bengals, we are not talking about you!

a4gmen
01-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Don't quote me,but I think the Raiders did it in the early eighties.I may be wrong.